[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MGS4 vs. MGSV:TPP
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
File: mgs.jpg (70 KB, 594x362) Image search: [Google]
mgs.jpg
70 KB, 594x362
Which was the greater disappointment?
>>
>>340706859
TPP because of the years of hype for an unfinished game.

The only thing MGS4 had going for it was that the story was supposed to be done and over. Everyone was dead or dying so we could move on.
>>
V was a bigger disappointment yet also the better game
>>
>>340706859
I thoroughly enjoy 4. V was ok until the 2nd half which is a complete dissapointment
>>
File: joost.webm (3 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
joost.webm
3 MB, 720x720
V.

Mechanically its fan fucking tastic but I found many missions to be too samey. I prefer to play 4 still actually.
>>
I played 4 and never found a problem with it. I enjoyed it. Cant bring myself to pick up 5 again. I just dont like it. The base building. Missions. Sucks. Id rather it play like 1 big story rather than a mission select screen.
>>
MGS4 was pure hype with hype kino missions
MGSV was ULTRA hype until the game released
>>
MGS4 faceplanted onto concrete
MGSV nosedived into a volcano
>>
>>340706859

it unconsciously made me prepare for whatever dissapointment V would bring

mind you, I love both these games, but they are not MGS1-3
>>
At least 4 was finished
>>
File: Venom Drake.png (178 KB, 651x434) Image search: [Google]
Venom Drake.png
178 KB, 651x434
>MGSV is a huge open sprawling stealth sandbox that allows huge amounts of replayability
>Can tackle missions from any angle using any tactic
>50 hours long before stuff starts repeating, easily 200+ hour game if you're a completionist
>one mission and a title card gets cut
>WHAAAAAAAAA UNFINISHED GAME FACK U KOJIMA

>Metal Gear Solid 4 is a linear railroaded hallway crawling simulator
>A few branching paths but it's mostly just going forward the whole way through
>15 hours long: 5 hours of gameplay and 10 fucking hours of cutscenes
>only 2 of those 5 hours are the core stealth gameplay, rest is forced action setpieces, bulletsponge boss fights and turret sequences
>at least it's a complete game :^)

I fucking hate MGS4 apologists. I get it, you're mad MGSV is an actual video game and not a movie, you're mad you didn't get to see Biggu Bossu become a cartoon villain and you're basically throwing a tantrum like the fags who didn't like Raiden in MGS2, but MGS4 will ALWAYS be shit.
>>
>>340706859
>don't talk to me and my wife's son ever again
>>
>>340706859
I deeply enjoyed both. And I don't think V was really unfinished besides mission 51 and the alternate ending. Even so, they delivered a good 40h main game with at least 20h+ for extras and easily 120h or so for completionists. Not even mentioning online events and MGO.

4 just had a terrible ending. I wish it was cut just like V and ended on some cliffhanger. They managed to ruin Meryl, Naomi, Big Boss, Zero and Snake on a single ending. What the hell.
>>
easily V, the shadow moses part in IV alone makes it better than V
>>
They're both great.
>>
>>340707603
Cinematics, story, and characters are arguably more important in an MGS game than gameplay mechanics and replayability.
>>
I still cant get over how ridiculously fucking terrible 4's retarded story was

There literally isnt a single positive thing that came from it. It ruined EVERYTHING from 2, Raiden especially, and just randomly took a dump on 3 with shit like your support team being a bunch of Hitlers

Easily the single worst story in video game history
>>
>>340707854
>implying 2 didnt ruin everything for future mgs games
>>
>>340707838
Fuck off moviegame fag, Metal Gear Solid 4's story sucks shit anyway and was deliberately made to spite the fanbase.

go play gone homo
>>
>>340707838
>t. reddit
>>
V - the story ended up sucking.
>>
>>340707907
MGS2 completed MGS as a concept
MGS3 was purely for Snake cocksuckers
MGS4 was supposed to be the Third Impact to end it all but failed
>>
>>340708130
>MGS2 completed MGS as a concept

that was the 1st game
>>
>>340706859
4 because 3 was really good. 4 was shit and PW was shit so V being shit wasn't a disappointment. It's pretty clear Kojima isn't even a good ideas guy and likely has almost nothing to do with what made MGS1-3 good
>>
>>340708198
as far as I'm concerned they're really one game
>>
>>340707603
>>MGSV is a huge open sprawling stealth sandbox that allows huge amounts of replayability
>>Can tackle missions from any angle using any tactic
>>50 hours long before stuff starts repeating, easily 200+ hour game if you're a completionist

You can try a little harder to make it seem like you're not trolling.
>>
File: Hank_HiII-1426018515.jpg (9 KB, 217x225) Image search: [Google]
Hank_HiII-1426018515.jpg
9 KB, 217x225
V was wonderfuk in regards to controls and gameplay, but it had a case of OPEN WORLD syndrome. I lost all interest after episode 25 due to ebola killing all of my best Kikongo soldiers when it's too late to realize there was an outbreak. It caused tedious grinding and if you played offline like I did, you couldn't expand your FOB's due to a lack of internet, forcing you to make due with what you have.
As far as the story goes, I like that they put the action first and left the explanation in the tapes, but knowing the twists that came along, it was more of a letdown than MGS4.
>>
>>340706859
MGS4 because at least we got GOAT gameplay out of V
>>
>>340707907
>Made Raiden an edgy Gray Fox ninja despite his entire arc being about him becoming his own man
>Made Snake an accelerated old man grumpily cleaning up messes when we just saw him being optimistic for the future because Kojima just had to shove his shitty SNAKE HAD A HARD LIFE ;__;7 narrative into the fucking ground
>Made Ocelot just pretend to be Liquid for no fucking reason at all, completely ruining the brother vs brother story for continued Big Boss circlejerking
>Made Meryl a tacticool operator after her arc being about not having to be a soldier
>Had that abomination of an ending that cannot be defended in any way

You cant blame 2 for this
>>
MGS4 had the greatest multiplayer shooter of all time to make up for the mediocre single player.
>>
>>340707907
MGS2 had plenty of original material despite being heavily derivative of MGS1 by design. It was meant to serve as commentary on digital media back when it was in its infancy in 2001.

MGS4's callbacks just felt like hollow fanservice, trying to feebly/conveniently explain away every open-ended question that remained from the previous three games.
>>
>>340707854
Snake and Otacon got to live in peace after everything they went through
>>
>>340707603
MGS 1,2, and 3 is structure exactly like 4 so those are bad too? Get real. No one wanted your shitty open world meme game filled with shitty fillers that stretch a 10 hour game over 50 hours+
>>
>>340706859
V was definitely.

4 was for super fans, and was full of fan service. I really liked it and honestly, the only problems the game had were that awful chapter in Europe and Big Boss just appearing at the end for like no reason. 4 was a good game
>>
>>340708364
Really, Metal Gear 2 on MSX2, MGS1, and MGS2 should be a trilogy on their own.

They all follow nearly the exact same template.
>>
>>340708664
Snake was going to fucking die within a few months
>>
>>340706859
MGS4 delivered the game we wanted in a way that we didn't want.

MGSV delivered a game we didn't want in a way that we didn't want it.
>>
File: 1448214250449.gif (339 KB, 213x199) Image search: [Google]
1448214250449.gif
339 KB, 213x199
>>340709151
>>
>>340707603
>a completely different design philosophy makes the game unfinished
Are you actually retarded?

MGSV is unfinished because
>end of the game got cut
>second half of the game is rehashed missions from the first half
>first half of the game already rehashed the same three mission types over and over

MGSV being long and grindy as fuck doesn't make it suddenly good or finished
>>
>>340708989
Oh fuck you
>>
I just started V yesterday, put maybe 5-6 hours into it so far and holy fuck what a let down.

This simply does not feel like a Metal Gear Solid title. From a pure gameplay perspective it's amazing, but god fucking dammit I finally get the bitterness and it hurts all the more now that I'm playing it.

4 was everything about the prior titles just turned up to 11. I really do not understand why people don't like it. My only complaint is some of the level design and enemy placement feels like straight up bull shit if you're going for pure stealth.
>>
File: 10.png (11 KB, 493x490) Image search: [Google]
10.png
11 KB, 493x490
>>340707603
I'm more upset that the game was unfinished then anything else

The retarded story that fits nowhere in the timeline without messing up other games is just the cherry on top

Hey do you guys remember how hype people were that Liquid Snake was in MGSV holy shit did that turn into a bunch of nothing.
>>
>>340709741
>The retarded story that fits nowhere in the timeline without messing up other games is just the cherry on top

Jesus christ, it's FICTION. The fucking timeline doesn't matter because it's NOT REAL. fucking snake explained this to Raiden in MGS2. the MESSAGE and THEME is what's important in a work of art, and always has been. Don't focus on the words. Find the meaning behind those words, and then decide.

and even if the game is unfinished (yea some stuff got cut but people try to meme another 50 hours into existence because they didn't like the ending) it still provides more gameplay than any other game in the series combined.
>>
>>340709960
>>340709960
>Find the meaning behind those words, and then decide.

the thing is there is hardly any words in the game and the "message" is pretty much

>YOU ARE THE BEST BIG BOSS EVER!
>The End
>>
>>340709960
>Jesus christ, it's FICTION. The fucking timeline doesn't matter because it's NOT REAL

Holy shit this is the best excuse I've ever seen a kojima defender ever say
>>
MGR>MGSV
>>
>>340709960
MGSV doesn't really have a message or theme though

Just
>YOU were Big Boss all along!
Which is just a poorly done rehash of the dogtag scene in MGS2.

Regardless, if you are going to create a long fictional narrative, fans have every right to call you out on bullshit and fucking up the canon.
Hiding behind "muh messages" doesn't make the complaint less valid.

You're literally just being an apologist.

>it still provides more gameplay than any other games in the series combined
That doesn't mean it's good.
Just because you could spend 200 hours on MGSV doesn't mean it's worth spending 200 hours on.

MGSV is long, but it isn't varied. There's only a handful of mission types, and they get rehashed over and over.
It's literally PW but PW actually had more variety.

I will play MGS1 for a combined total of 1000 hours before I ever reach 200 in PW or MGSV.
Because MGS1 was actually enjoyable.

In fact there's so much love and care and detail in MGS1, 2, 3 and 4, that I could keep playing those games over and over and over and still get something new or interesting every single time.

PW and MGSV, on the other hand...
There are only so many times I can rescue a nameless NPC from Generic Desert Outpost #43
>>
>>340707838
Or you could strike the perfect balance like MGS1 and 3 did
>>
>>340706859
4 for me.
>>
File: PEACE!.jpg (280 KB, 359x512) Image search: [Google]
PEACE!.jpg
280 KB, 359x512
>>340710639
This guy gets it
>>
>>340707838
>Cinematics, story, and characters are arguably more important in an MGS game than gameplay mechanics and replayability.
I should wipe out your entire bloodline for having such shit tastes. At least your shit genes wouldn't corrupt the gene pool.
>>
V was at first for me, but now that I've gone back and played both multiple times, 4 is pretty fucking bad.

V did a lot of things different, but I appreciate how it tried to free itself from the MGS canon, while still staying within the canon loosely.

4 did the opposite and shoved the canon into it's own asshole, shit it out, and ate it again. 4 feels like kojima gave the game over to deviant art and let them turn their fan fiction into a game. it's embarassingly bad after the first 2 acts. You can tell kojima either was begrudgingly just trying to wrap that shit up.
>>
TPP after all that fucking hype.
>>
>>340710639
>if you are going to create a long fictional narrative

He never intended to, you fucking moron. MGS4 was a passive aggressive appeasement of the morons who were too stupid to understand 2.

And are you seriously going to pretend every single game in the series isn't filled to the fucking BRIM with retcons? Oh wait, MGSV didn't fit your preconceived notion of what Big Boss' fall was, therefore it's shit.

>In fact there's so much love and care and detail in MGS1, 2, 3 and 4, that I could keep playing those games over and over and over and still get something new or interesting every single time.

You're bullshitting and you know it. MGS4 is a linear railroaded moviegame, there is no variety there whatsoever.
>>
V

I had at least finished IV.
>>
>>340711306
>He never intended to
But he did anyway. Your point?

>filled to the fucking BRIM with retcons?
No, they're not.
It happens on occasion.

>MGSV didn't fit your preconceived notion of what Big Boss' fall was
It didn't fit ANYONE'S notion of BB's fall because BB's fall wasn't in the fucking game

>MGS4 is a linear railroaded moviegame
You really expect me to genuinely respond to buzzword vomit?
>>
>>340711561
>happens on occasion

MGS1's entire story is predicated on a retcon. You'd know this is you actually played the MSX games. Kojima cares more about the central theme than an autistic fictional timeline, you're the idiot who took the story at face value

>BB's fall because BB's fall wasn't in the fucking game

He did to Venom what the CIA did to the Boss. Sorry it wasn't hamfisted murdering of younglings and raping virgins.
>>
>>340712180
>He did to Venom what the CIA did to the Boss.

and if Kojima had more time this could have been a hard hitting story. Showing he turned into the person he said he would fight against
>>
>>340711306
>Oh wait, MGSV didn't fit your preconceived notion of what Big Boss' fall was, therefore it's shit.

1. BB is not in the game, this "fall" is literally the last 5 minutes when he does a switcharoo.

2. I wouldn't be nearly as salty about it had Kojima not marketed it the way he did. The trailers were phenomenal and seemingly portrayed a very different story. Combined with what he himself said about the game, it's a huge disappointment.
>>
>>340706859
TPP by miles.

It's unfinished shit.

Venom should've been Big Boss, and Chico should've been Quiet.
>>
I hate V and fucking love 4. All the hate for 4 is a bit ridiculous.
>>
>>340712512
>I wouldn't be nearly as salty about it had Kojima not marketed it the way he did. The trailers were phenomenal and seemingly portrayed a very different story

So you're like the fags who were salty about Raiden in MGS2. Got it.
>>
>>340712560

I wanted to watch Chico die, I wanted to be the one to kill his tattling ass.

Snitches get stitches.
>>
>>340712671
I wanted to watch Venom fuck Quiet in the butt
>>
>>340712180
>MGS1's entire story is predicated on a retcon.
Well gee anon, I was under the impression we were talking about the NUMBER of retcons, not the severity of them.
Must be my mistake. How could I have possibly misunderstood
>filled to the fucking BRIM with retcons

Silly me.
>>
>>340712787
thank god for source filmmaker, eh?
>>
>>340706859

MGS4 has both better writing and gameplay.

MGSV has an open world that would be great if it wasn't for all the pointless waiting.
>>
>>340712802
Oh my god I'm sorry I sorry I chose to focus on an important one that proved my point because if we were listing every fucking retcon in the series we'd be here all fucking night
>>
>>340712661

Raiden was smart. I mean, Raiden himself is a huge faggot in MGS2, but his inclusion and the reasoning behind it is smart.

It's also great to see Snake from a different set of eyes.

Everyone guessed they weren't playing as snake the moment that one trailer said "from blah blah blah, two snakes were born." It wasn't clever, and he had done it before, and it wasn't pivotal to Big Boss' story.

At least MGS2, despite you playing as Raiden, is still Snake's story too.
>>
>>340712826
You bet. This and RE6 had some pretty great stuff.
>>
>>340712512
every game in this series has been portrayed completely differently than what the final game delivered. You're showing you have no idea what youre talking about, and are just mad cuz you didn't get what you want.
>>
>>340706859
MGS4 easily. We hadn't yet been disappointed by MGS4. We still held out hope after the fantastic return to form of MGS3 after the disappointing release of MGS2.

MGS4 was the reason to buy a PS3. It was so, so cool. And it fucking sucked.

But the real answer here is "I'm under 25 so TPP." or "I'm over 25 so MGS4". It all comes down to which time Kojimbo took a fat shit on the players first for you.
>>
>>340712945
>proved my point
Your point was that the games are
>filled to the fucking BRIM with retcons
And you cited one (1) retcon that was uniquely large.

That doesn't really prove anything, friend.
>>
>>340712980
I wonder how Joosten would react if she saw all the SFM stuff of Quiet getting fucked
>>
At least MGS4 had actual boss fights.
>>
>>340712969
wtf are you talking about, it's all pivotal to big bosses story, the whole fucking point of the game is that the actual man himself doesn't matter, the legend does. He's still big boss for all intents and purposes.

God mgs fans are fucking stupid.
>>
>>340712512
>>2. I wouldn't be nearly as salty about it had Kojima not marketed it the way he did. The trailers were phenomenal and seemingly portrayed a very different story. Combined with what he himself said about the game, it's a huge disappointment.

Fucking this

>>340712661
No most of us are salty cause for the whole MGS Franchise we were told and to some extent shown how awesome Big Boss was and like I said for all the MG games always hear how Big Boss's fall from grace ruined Solid life for a time and how it fucked the world. Then Kojima says and he did say this "MGSV will show you Big Boss's downfall and will fully explain why he is seen as a villain in later games.

Except besides Venom we never see or understand why some consider him a monster. MGSV gave us nothing we did not already know and before you got "MUH MESSAGE" MGSV tried to copy MGS2's message and fell on it's face
>>
>>340713036
Nice falseflagging
>>
>>340706859
I liked them both..
Even after V replaying 4 still has this feeling of being the last game.
I think MGSV fails for many because they expected some closure or some big reveal. I really like how V's ending implies that Skull Face has won even before the game started.
>>
>>340713083
I bet she'd be into it.
>>
File: 1459341650826.jpg (17 KB, 250x260) Image search: [Google]
1459341650826.jpg
17 KB, 250x260
>>340713201
>>
>>340713150
The fucking point of BB never being evil has been in the game since mgs1. ALL of fucking fox hound talks about how good of a guy big boss is, while solid snake hates him, because hes a fucking patriot agent. He was never "evil"

WHY are metal gear fans so fucking dense.
>>
File: MGS Rankings.jpg (300 KB, 1364x892) Image search: [Google]
MGS Rankings.jpg
300 KB, 1364x892
I never got to add MGSV to this cause it was shit and I did not want to take the 3 minutes to edit it together
>>
>>340713361
Solid never knew about the patriots till MGS2 he hated Big Boss cause he believed Big Boss threw away his beliefs for betraying him and the U.S. If anything it shows how little Solid really knew about the man he idolized
>>
File: image.gif (955 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
955 KB, 360x360
man as shitty as 4's bosses may have been, V's were even worse somehow. At least with 4 we got Laughing Octopus, Vamp, REX vs RAY, and that Liquid fight at the end. They were at least memorable.

V's bosses were so fucking bad that even the best one (Man on Fire) is still worse than any MGS4 boss.
>>
I think its funny that even a bad metal gear is still better than most of the shit that came out the year it was released.
>>
>>340713541
MGSV had bosses besides metal gear?
>>
I would say V, but then again, but for the fact V happened, we would have never known about Joosten. That makes it the best game in the series by default. Anyone who disagrees needs to fuck off back to their Chinese saturday morning cartoons.
>>
>>340713652
Man on Fire and the SKULLS PARASITE UNIT
>>
>>340713519
What was the point of him visiting his grave? I am severely lost there.
>>
>>340711306
>MGS4 is a linear railroaded moviegame, there is no variety there whatsoever.
I wish you had just said this right off the bat in the other thread so I would've known to ignore you.

Goddamn MGSV apologists are getting ridiculous.
>>
File: solid_snake_vs_big_boss_mg2.jpg (204 KB, 1600x728) Image search: [Google]
solid_snake_vs_big_boss_mg2.jpg
204 KB, 1600x728
>>340713361

I think Solid hates BB more because of that whole "they're no sons of mine" stuff and forcing him to grow up in a series of foster homes. And for training him and never telling him at the time. Instead he had been a father figure to a bunch of kids at Zanzibar Land. I'd hate him too
>>
>>340713804
Even though Solid hated Big Boss for what he did he still respected the man as a solider
>>
>>340713874
Solid did not know Big Boss was his father till the end of MG2 and by then he had plenty of reasons to hate Big Boss
>>
>>340713129
>the whole fucking point of the game is that the actual man himself doesn't matter, the legend does.
Doesn't really mean much when all of the Solid games besides 2 were 100% about how fucking wrong that statement is.
>>
V improved much of the background lore that 4 made a mess of. It's just a shame that most of the interesting parts of V's story happen completely outside what is shown and we are simply 'told' it, making a story where nothing uneventful happens. They did perfect the gameplay with V, but the level design was lacking. This may have to do with the scope of open world, but even large spaces can be well designed if there is enough attention given to it.
>>
>>340713862
Are you going to pretend MGS4 isn't packed with linear glorified hallways and turret sequences?
>>
>>340713874
>Solid Snake hates his "Father" for not being his Father before knowing he was his "Father"

This is the kind of shit MGS lore turns out
>>
File: 1463626657778.gif (2 MB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
1463626657778.gif
2 MB, 280x280
>>340707316
I would do unspeakable things to Joosten given the chance.
>>
>>340714187
Linearity is not a bad thing. The linearity meme is exactly the reason every other game is a lifeless open world now.

>turret sequences
I only remember one.

Calling it a movie game with no variety is just wrong. People call it a movie because it's too heavy on cutscenes, not because the gameplay is shallow cinematic shit.
>>
>>340706859
I replayed MGS4 over 3 times.

I've never finished MGS5. That's how uninteresting it is
>>
V could have been so much more. The first time TPP was shown the hype was insane, the crazy situation on the hospital, looking for clues relating it MGS, it seemed like it was going to be such a crazy ride. Then the red band trailer spinned the whole visceral revenge story. But then nothing happened. The closest thing it got to being interesting was rehashing the ideas behind MGS2, but executed worse. At least MGS4 never had any pretension of being something it was not.
>>
I like 4 better because it genuinely feel like a true metal gear solid game. 5 feels like a AAA open world sandbox, I get why that's fund to some people but V was a full departure from the roots of the MG series, it's undeniable.

Playing Metal Gear Solid 4 actually feels like an adventure, you end up going to lots of different places, fight many enemy types and a lot of bosses and also get to control rex, do a few action sequences, the lot. It's all there, the variety, the pacing, the level design, it still even had codec calls and something as simple as a that being a small cutscene to push the narrative begins to set the tone for the game and really brings you into the MG experience, there is none of this in MGSV.

MGS 4 was thematically true to the series in almost every single way, epic boss fights, new gadgets and gameplay improvements, decked out sneaking suits, interesting characters, codec calls, action sequences and some really good fan service.

I just don't understand how people can think V is a better MG game over 4 in any conceivable way. V was a dissapointment and I'm glad I sold my copy. I didn't even finish the game because by the time the copy and paste missions started I just gave up.
>>
>>340716012
>I just don't understand how people can think V is a better MG game over 4 in any conceivable way

and I don't understand how you can enjoy a game that's only 2 hours of sneaking, 3 hours of turret sequences, awful boss fights and following around that chucklefuck in Prague, followed by 10 hours of bad cutscenes is a good game, but whatever
>>
>>340716232
>3 hours of turret sequences

name them all please
>>
>>340716232
>and I don't understand how you can enjoy a game ... is a good game, but whatever
I don't think you understand English either.
>>
>>340716232
I don't understand how someone can enjoy raiding copy and paste outposts over and over and over again in a boring and empty open world with zero story or reason
>>
>>340706859
4 was good.
>>
>>340716818
Because I don't need constant positive reinforcement from cutscenes. I can enjoy gameplay for its own sake without being told HURR DURR BOSS THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MISSION EVERY DESTROY THIS OUTPOST TO SAVE THE WORLD AHHHHHHHH

I can make my own fun by using the tools provided to me.

>>340716716
>no argument
>criticize a grammar mistake made at 2 am

brilliant

>>340716469
Act 3, 4, and 5 are almost entirely made up of following around that guy in prague, scripted vehicle setpieces, and shitty boss fights. Do not deny this.
>>
>>340715101
Hey everyone this guy played it over 3 times. It must be goat!!
>>
Was MGS4 meant to be anything but the ending? I mean for all the criticism it gets, it just does everything the other games did but include a bunch of nostalgia because it's an ending to a long story. The gameplay was improved too. The cutscenes were long as shit but MGS2's cutscenes were really long too. And who actually thinks MGS2 was the best one? MGS3 had a better story, better gameplay, better length of cutscenes. What's the debate?
>>
>>340717437
Following a person is not a turret sequences

the two vehicle set pieces are

The boss fights were not turret sequences and the bosses in MGS4 and legendary compared to the bullet sponges of MGSV
>>
>muh mission 51
>muh chapter 3

Shit gets cut out of video games all the time, story sections included. Remember that Deus Ex was going to have an alternative route where you stayed with Unatco and an ending where you join Page (There were also going to be levels set in the Moon, Los Angeles and the White House). Metal Gear Solid 2 also had certain cut scenes cut because of the 9/11 attack.

Saying MGS V is the biggest disappointment of all time because of a cut mission (That you can see in it's unfinished state in Youtube anyway) is just...Stupid.

In regards to Big Boss not turning into a villain, did you really expect that to happen? The Big Boss you saw and fought in the original Metal Gear games was a generic villain because those two games have the plot of an average 80s action movie, they weren't meant to be depth. Having BB just turn bad all of a sudden would just shit on all the character development he had in Snake Eater, Guns of the Patriots, Portable Ops, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes.

Big Boss in the original Metal Gear games wasn't an anti-villain like MGS4 would have you believe, he was a cardboard-cut Hollywood antagonist because at the time Kojima didn't expect Metal Gear to be a huge franchise.

Venom Snake being set up to be the antagonist of the first Metal Gear game was probably the most sensible way to connect the two timelines without contradicting everything released after MGS2.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=houDtgBNPCA
>>
>>340717747
GamingBrit is so fucking bitter about MGSV not being a moviegame it's hilarious

He's still analdevastated about it months later when he made his video praising RE6 (LMAO)
>>
>>340717661
>Shit gets cut out of video games all the time, story sections included.
Generally when story gets cut it's truncated, replaced, or its connecting parts are also removed.

MGSV had its ending cut.
And they didn't replace it.
And the characters whose arcs were supposed to lead into the ending were kept in the game.

You can't just brush that aside.
>>
>>340708245
>It's pretty clear Kojima isn't even a good ideas guy and likely has almost nothing to do with what made MGS1-3 good
Really? He writes some shitty stories and 4-V have a lot of issues, but that doesn't mean he didn't have anything to do with the success of the series. Don't be so dramatic.
>>
>>340717661
No excuses for the rehashed missions or the hanging plot threads.

Like, how did Miller get to Fox Hound?
How did Big Boss get back to Fox Hound?
Why did Diamond Dogs leave Seychelles?

This game left more questions than answers.
>>
>>340707907
It didn't. Nothing demanded that games after MGS2 address MGS2's loose ends. Nothing even demanded that subsequent MG games even take place in the same continuity or use the same characters.
>>
4. TPP is half of a game it was intended to be, but at least it's a GAME.

Also TPP's plot isn't as half as retarded as 4's was.
>>
>>340708629
>>>340707907 #
>MGS2 had plenty of original material despite being heavily derivative of MGS1 by design.
People say this, but aside from some basic structural things and obvious plot points they're pretty different games. MGS1 actually has more in common with MG2 than it does MGS2. The similarities between MGS1 and MGS2 are more relevant to the characters and context than what the player actually does.
>>
>>340717661
MGS4 doesn't make Big Boss out to be an anti-hero either, though really. The Big Boss at the end of Peace Walker is very similar to the douchebag of the MSX games. The gap is there, but not very big. Big Boss was a warmongering cunt. That's never changed. It remains the point of his character.

MGSV just chose to emphasize his egocentricism and manipulative behavior.
>>
>4 is better than V

Any Metal Gear game that isn't Snake's Revenge >>> MGS 4

Right now the favorite thing MGS 4 shitters like saying is that it's at least better than MGS V. Here's three reasons as to why that isn't the case:

>STORY
Both games have fucking horrible stories, but MGS 4 is a far bigger offender not only because the story is more retarded, but also because it was the story that ruined the rest of the series by fucking up characterizations and events from the previous games including Ocelot, the Patriots, The Boss, Zero, Para-Medic, Sigint, Merryl and Eva. MGS V, by comparison, can't ruin what is already ruined beyond repair and merely told its own retarded wacky story that is really not that important to the overall continuity, let alone ruinous to it.

>GAMEPLAY
MGS V has better gameplay by virtue of having any gameplay at all. Whereas 4 has good systems, it doesn't use those systems properly anywhere, there are only two hours worth of core stealth gameplay at the very most and then there are the boss fights (which are admittedly pretty good), stupid action sequences and then of course the "gameplay" by which I mean the cutscenes, codec calls, microwave hall, all of Shadow Moses until the boss fights, all of Act 3 until the boss fight, etc. It doesn't even have fucking VR missions so the only way you can experience any of the gameplay is by playing MGO (Which always was and always will be nothing but a novelty that isn't really that fun to play). By comparison, MGS V also has pretty great systems which you actually get to fucking use while traveling on the open world and accomplishing missions. The mission where you rescue Kaz already accounts for all the stealth gameplay in all of MGS 4 and that's fucking pathetic. "MGS 4 is a movie" is an exaggeration, but it's very much founded in reality.

>GRAPHICS
MGS V looks better not just in polygon count but also in artstyle. 4 was the epitome of brown and/or washed out.
>>
>>340718894
>TPP's plot isn't as half as retarded as 4's was.
Skull Face's master plan is several times more retarded than anything I've ever seen in a story

>I'M GONNA KILL ZERO BY KILLING ENGLISH
>A LANGUAGE OF NUKES
>I HAVE A METAL GEAR BECAUSE ???
>>
>>340720227
>I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE POSSESSED LMAO
>SO I TOLD THE PATRIOTS I WAS BEING POSSESSED... AND THEY ACTUALLY BELIEVED ME. THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN!
I'm sorry, what were you saying?
>>
>>340720227
The parasites are a bit silly, but his plan is actually pretty neat. Skull Face is the chaos to zero's order and also an evil reflection of Venom snake.
>>
>biological nanomachines

Just stop.
>>
>>340720420
At least Ocelot had some kind of rationale.

Like, if Skull Face wants Zero dead, surely there's some less retarded way to do it

>>340720502
>his plan is actually pretty neat
His plan to kill a language with parasites that could only ever possibly trigger when the language is spoken?

He wanted English gone, but only devised a way to get rid of people speaking it

And his motive...
>uh my village got fucking rekt and they made me learn a bunch of languages SO NOW EVERYONE DIES

I just don't know how people can like it.
>>
>>340721228
>uh my village got fucking rekt and they made me learn a bunch of languages SO NOW EVERYONE DIES

You're oversimplifying it, idiot. Skull Face saw his nation manipulated by other powers, his native tongue was stripped away from him by the Soviets. He saw that Zero sought to control the world and make it culturally American in order to make it whole, so Skull Face sought to destroy English and create a new age of nuclear proliferation and mass deterrence so smaller nations would be protected from cultural imperialism.
>>
>>340721228
>At least Ocelot had some kind of rationale.
No, that does not excuse the fact that he pretended he was possessed by someone else and somehow fooled a super intelligent A.I. into believing it despite the fact the game outright states that isn't even remotely possible with the medicine of the time.

Face it. 4 is more retarded than V and you know it.
>>
>>340706859
I'll always prefer MGS4 because, if nothing else, it was a complete game. Can't say the same for MGSV.
>>
>>340721659
>it was a complete game

see
>>340707603
>>
>>340721659
It wasn't a game, though.
>>
MGS5.
At least MGS4 felt complete.
>>
>>340721892
At least V was a video game.
>>
>>340721659
>>340721892
4 was complete shit
>>
>>340706859
Are you an idiot? MGS4 is leagues better. You shouldn't have even made a thread for this.
>>
>>340721732
>>340721935
I figured Konami would've moved on to shilling all their new pachinko machines by now.
>>
>>340721469
Writing it out longer doesn't make that entire plot point any less retarded.

He wanted to stick worms in your throat so you'd speak fucking Esperanto or something. Why? Because he had a shit childhood and instead of seeing the violence of it as bad he hires a bunch of mercs to kill and devastate others to share his stupid pain.

It is literally how a 5 year old would act and makes no sense because that kind of thinking inherently keeps you from ever attaining power. At least Zero has an actual plan. Killing off English would be, at best, a couple of years of setbacks. It doesn't take long to become fluent when you have to.
>>
>>340722072
Ignoring the fact that 4 is about a guy pretending to be possessed and fooling a supposedly massively intelligent A.I. won't make it any less retarded either.
>>
File: 1460031666889.jpg (128 KB, 640x618) Image search: [Google]
1460031666889.jpg
128 KB, 640x618
>>340707316
>joost will never accidentally start streaming while drunk and flash her webcam for more views
>>
>>340722065
I didn't expect Konami to have people still shilling and pretending 4 was anything other than complete shit. Guess those contracts last over a decade.
>>
>>340722381
No, but get this, its crazy:

There are people who genuinely want to just watch a movie when they play video games. They ENJOY getting dumped with hours and hours of needlessly verbose exposition that goes on forever to say nothing at all. when MGSV came along and was an actual video game, they lashed out and rejected it.

It's insane.
>>
>>340722490
>when MGSV came along and was an actual video game, they lashed out and rejected it
Wow it's almost like people don't enjoy bad games
>>
>>340722595
Better a "bad" game than something that isn't a game at all.
>>
File: 1464776253264.png (38 KB, 499x338) Image search: [Google]
1464776253264.png
38 KB, 499x338
>>340722654
>look mom, I memed again!
>>
File: 1465495662286.gif (842 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1465495662286.gif
842 KB, 480x270
>>340708490
>bringing Kikongo onto Mother Base
>>
>people like mgs5 bcause it's their first mgs
>people don't like mgs4 because it was ps4 only

prove me wrong
>>
>>340721986
they said it felt like a complete game, not that it was a good game though
>>
>>340722739
Well, considering you were over-simplifying MGS V's issues by saying it was a bad unfinished game, I thought it would be fair game for me to also over-simplify MGS 4 issues by saying it's not a game at all.

Or are you interested in actual debate here? I thought you just wanted to trade memes.
>>
>>340722757
MGS4 is just poorly designed and somewhat boring.
>>
>>340721935
If I wanted to play video games I'd play tetris.
>>
>>340721720
Being more of a time sink is not the same as being a complete game.
>>
Just fucking bury me aready
>>
>>340706859
V has the shittier lasting impression. 4 had a lot of great parts despite its flaws.
>>
>>340722819
Better an incomplete game than something that isn't a game at all.
>>
>>340706859
Grew up with MGS. 4 was the peak of the series and one of the most fulfilling games I've ever played. Haters gon hate.

TPP is a letdown. Major step back from MGS4. Let me put it this way. MGS5 feels like a polished handheld game, whereas 4 feels like an actual sequel to the mainline games.
>>
File: muh dragons.jpg (84 KB, 508x504) Image search: [Google]
muh dragons.jpg
84 KB, 508x504
>>340723132
>4 was the peak of the series and one of the most fulfilling games I've ever played. Haters gon hate.
These are the kinds of faggots that think MGS V was bad. Sasuga /v/.
>>
>>340707603
>50 hours long before stuff starts repeating

Yeah nah, you have to grind 2 hours in after rescuing Kaz m8
>>
>>340723262
I think both are pretty weak.
>>
>>340723262
>MGS4
Same core gameplay as MGS1 - 3 with a new aiming mechanic.
>MGS5
Full-on third person shooter with simplified CQC and stealth mechanics.

It's easy to spot the underagefags who only played GZ and TPP.
>>
>>340706859
Obviously V, how is that even a question.
>>
>>340722895
>over-simplifying MGS V's issues by saying it was a bad unfinished game
But it is bad and it is unfinished

That's a simplified statement truncating a much larger criticism. Nothing over- about it.

You saying MGS4 isn't even a game period is nothing short of a stale meme.
>>
>>340723473
>MGS 4
A movie that ruins the story of the series

>MGS V
A game that is innocuous to it at best

It's easy to spot the huge fags that appreciated the rape of the series. They say MGS 4 is good.
>>
>>340723684
>A movie that ruins the story of the series
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>340723782
>I was only pretending to be possessed lmao
B R A V O
R
A
V
O
>>
File: dew.jpg (107 KB, 480x272) Image search: [Google]
dew.jpg
107 KB, 480x272
Mass Effect 3 was a great game and so was MGSV suck a dick /v/
>>
>>340723863
I completely agree with this opinion.
>>
>>340723832
>A super intelligent A.I. that controls the world's culture and economy fell for it
B R A V I S S I M O!
>>
File: 1461253457847.jpg (321 KB, 988x1378) Image search: [Google]
1461253457847.jpg
321 KB, 988x1378
>MGS4
>a finished game
>proper care went into the cutscenes, gameplay mechanics, overall story, etc.
>tends to be hated because it's fanservicey and forced Kojima to conclude up to four or five games worth of constant retconning
>most bosses were underwhelming, but at least they were there, plus the last act is great
>also disliked because Kojima tends to shit in your face if you like Solid Snake or certain other aspects of the story, the cutscenes are long, and there's an overreliance on nanomachines as sort of a constant deus ex machina

So, that's MGS4. Whether you like it or not you have to be a complete fucking idiot to say that it fares worse than MGSV did. Hell, even the lone fact that one is a finished game and the other isn't is enough to tell you which one is better. And that's not even getting into the finer details on how the retarded morons who designed V somehow made most of its mechanics worse than they were in Peace Walker, a handheld game, or how fucking retarded and downright insulting Act 1 is.

Ancient fucking vocal chord parasites? Really, Kojima? I don't think he gets enough shit for this.
>>
id take 100hours of padded repetitive smooth as fuck gameplay with addictive mechanics over the shit that 4 pulled. act 1 and 2 were good, but only have maybe 4-5hours of real gameplay tops and thats if you take it slow. 3 was one long boring tailing mission, with a rail shooter sequence and then a boss fight. act 4 was a boring nostalgia circle jerk against annoying as fuck enemies, tho the end fight was cool. 5 was one fucking large room and then a boss fight fallowed by crawling fallowed by a tekken game. maybe 2-3 hours tops of real gameplay for acts 3-5. with that you have 9 hours of story which fucked the pacing up drastically not to mention awful long winded cutscenes that make MGS2 blush. 4 did have some cool parts and it is a better rela ending tot eh series, but it completely went off the rails in a bad way for both gameplay and story.
>>
>"Boss, a bunch of kids stole a giant killer robot!
>We have to do something about it!
>What are your orders, boss?"
>"¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
>METAL GEAR SOLID V
>>
>>340724127
>MGS 4
>Not a game
>Proper care went into overly long cutscenes, gameplay mechanics that are utilized for all of one hour, terrible story that rapes the rest of the series, etc.
>Tends to be hated because it's complete garbage
>Bosses were actually fairly decent, even if not the best in the series, better than MGS 2, PW and V in that department. Shame the rest of the game is terrible. And let's not even speak of the bosses in anything other than gameplay.
>Disliked because Kojima was a colossal hack that wrote easily the worst sequel story in the history of vidya, surpassing even "I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream 2"

So, that's MGS 4. Whether you like it or not you have to be a complete fucking idiot to say that it fares worse than MGS V did. Hell, even the lone fact that one is an actual video game and the other isn't is enough to tell you which one is better. And that's not even getting into the finer details on how the retarded morons who designed 4 somehow forgot that the mechanics were supposed to be used for more than one hour, or how fucking retarded and downright insulting the entire game is.

A dude literally pretending he's possessed? Really, Kojima? I don't think he gets enough shit for this.
>>
>>340724427
>A dude literally pretending he's possessed?
You're fucking retarded and have no idea how to explain your arguments properly, so you've quoted my entire post and made yourself look like an autistic person.

Even with all of its gameplay breaks, 4 feels like more of a Metal Gear game than V ever did. Fuck, PEACE WALKER feels like more of a Metal Gear than V, and that's sad.
>>
>>340724534
>Even with all of its lack of gameplay and the fact the story is the worst in the series, it still felt more like MGS because of me arbitrarily deciding so with no good reason because I'm retarded
t. you
>>
>>340724649
You can't possibly say the story is the worst in the series, not when V exists.

Ocelot tricking himself to think he's Liquid at least made sense in the overall plot, try to fucking explain why Kojima bothered to include Child Mantis in V at all, or why he thought that Skull Face doing fuck all through the entire game (just like Diamond Dogs, kek, another thing that V does worse than PW) and then essentially killing himself would make for a good villain.

>it still felt more like MGS because of me arbitrarily deciding so
Past MGS games had linear level design with the occasional detour and optional fucking around available -> that's what 4 had.
Past MGS games had a codec and metric fuckton of codec calls -> that's what 4 had.
Past MGS games had bosses with actual care put into them -> that's what 4 had.
Past MGS games relied largely on cutscenes and movie-like cinematography to convey its story and make it more interesting -> that's what 4 did.

Face it man, you're making an ass out of yourself.
>>
File: 1451363587230.gif (2 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1451363587230.gif
2 MB, 448x252
>>340706859

V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL4ZxDWLwpM

JUST
>>
>>340722946
If you go for a big boss run of 4 you can see the level design is really good. Just as good if not better than the other games which were in way more confined spaces. V doesn't seem to have any real design to the locales or enemy placements. The missions are awful and bland.
>>
>>340707452
Underrated>>340707410
>>
File: WW Metal gear.gif (3 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
WW Metal gear.gif
3 MB, 320x180
The Trailers were better then the game. Glad I pirated it.
>>
>>340724960
>You can't possibly say the story is the worst in the series, not when V exists.
I can and I will. It was a shit of retconing and ruining characterizations of every character and event that happened in the past. They ruined Ocelot, they ruined the Patriots, they ruined Zero and the codec buddies from MGS 3, they ruined Big Boss, they ruined Merryl. All for the sake of badly done nostalgia pandering.

MGS V's story is also horrible, but it's innocuous and meaningless, it doesn't really change anything. It most certainly does not save the series from the rape 4 gives it, that's for sure.
>>
HOW /v/?

WHAT WENT WRONG?

FUCKING KONAMI? KOJIMA?

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FINAL AND BEST METAL GEAR GAME.

NO GREATER GOOD, NO JUST CAUSE

WHHHHOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

BIG BOSS WAS SUPPOSED TO GO NUCLEAR
>>
>>340725132
Yeah, for all of Act 1 and the first half of Act 2 before there are literally no more levels for you to sneak around in. Shadow Moses is a joke that gets passed through with chaff grenades and Act 5's stealth sequence acts all of 4 minutes. Act 3 has no fucking gameplay to speak of.
>>
They showed a better story/game in the trailers, which was all actually false pretense.

This is why the game ultimately failed. You thought it was Big Boss going nuclear because of Skullfaces mindfuckery, but in reality, it was a fake big boss and skullface was irrelevant.
>>
>>340725432
>Shadow Moses is a joke that gets passed through with chaff grenades
Where did you get all those chaff grenades? There aren't many to be picked up in-game and they aren't sold in the shop as far as I recall

>Act 3 has no fucking gameplay to speak of
Just because you didn't like tailing that guy or gunning down enemies on EVA's bike doesn't mean it isn't gameplay you fucking tool
>>
>>340725365
You're looking at it through the lens of canonity, I look at both stories and try to compare them to each other, and even though V is meaningless in the grand scheme of things it still manages to look worse.

And to be fair, it for some reason feels the need to shit on the Cobra Unit from three, it makes Zero look retarded, it makes Paz look retarded, it goes out of its way to ruin Miller and most of what Peace Walker introduced, it constantly wastes your time, etc.

It also lacks any sort of style or interesting elements, something 4 had plenty. 4 is what you get when you have to conclude three games that you never thought you'll get to conclude, V is what you get when you try to write an interesting game script and start farting loudly instead.
>>
>>340725703
>Where did you get all those chaff grenades
They literally give you enough of them to bypass the whole level on the fucking helipad, not to mention the chaff grenades you can easily get in the previous acts. Considering there's barely no gameplay, let alone gameplay where you need to use chaffs, you'll have more than enough to go through that whole section without any problems.
>>
>>340725779
>V is meaningless in the grand scheme of things it still manages to look worse.
No, it looks innocuous and meaningless. 4 is what looks bad, because it ruined the series.

>It also lacks any sort of style or interesting elements, something 4 had plenty. 4 is what you get when you have to conclude three games that you never thought you'll get to conclude, V is what you get when you try to write an interesting game script and start farting loudly instead.
Actually, 4 is exactly what you get when you try to write an interesting game script and start farting loudly instead. The plot of 4 is something that would have been created on /v/ in a "We make a video game story for Metal Gear Solid one sentence at a time"

>AND THEN BIG BOSS WAS ALIVE"
>AND THEN OCELOT WAS NEVER POSSESSED"
>YEAH, HE FOOLED AN INTELLIGENT A.I. INTO THINKING HE WAS POSSESSED"
>WHY?
>BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT HE WAS LIQUID
>WELL, LIQUID WAS MORE OF A THREAT TO THE PATRIOTS THAN OCELOT
>LMAO BUT LIQUID DIED BEFORE SO THEY JUST IGNORE HIM
>ZERO AND SIGINT AND PARA-MEDIC WERE THE PATRIOTS THE WHOLE TIME BTW
>ZERO IS AN OLD MAN AND BIG BOSS KILLS HIM
>EVA AND OCELOT WERE ON THE SAME SIDE AND THE BODY THAT BURNED WAS SOLIDUS AFTER ALL ROFL
>>
>>340723832
I see you lack the ability to retain information. Dummy.
>>
>>340725880
In both my playthroughs I somehow managed to get to Shadow Moses with only like three chaffs

Maybe I'm just bad
>>
>>340726136
Three chaffs plus the ones you get on the helipad? More than enough. You can spam them out and run through the facility.
>>
>>340726110
All of the things that you mentioned make some kind of sense within the game's story.

I don't fucking know why I'm still arguing about this, I played through 4 and it never pissed me off the way V did, just because V is filler gallore doesn't excuse how stupid it gets.

It almost feels like Kojima wanted to one up himself so he took things that people didn't like about 4 and changed them for the worse, like "cutscenes are two hours long? -> better make no cutscenes!" or "people complain about nanomachines? -> better design an even dumber fucking thing and base half the game around it!".
>>
>>340726385
>All of the things that you mentioned make some kind of sense within the game's story.
They don't. You're being retarded and stubborn.
>>
>>340726385
>I don't fucking know why I'm still arguing about this, I played through 4 and it never pissed me off the way V did
I played through 4 and it was one of the worst experiences I've ever had while playing video games. First off, there was barely any gameplay in it, secondly, I have never seen a sequel so thoroughly shit all over the franchise it belongs to story-wise.

V was dumb but the story was innocuous at best and at least the actual game was fun and had more than two hours of content.

So, yeah, you and I have polar opposite experiences.
>>
>>340726563
>and at least the actual game was fun
How in fuck's name can you say that doing the same thing over and over again is better than the neatly designed levels and mechanics of 4 is completely beyond me.
>>
Four for me gave me all around hype from start to finish with a great final fight. MGSV is a bland boring open world with rehashed missions, tacked on base management and had the last chapter cut from the game. Only thing V has over IV is it's gameplay is superior.
>>
>>340726428
>They don't.
They do, you just have to pay attention. You hate them because it wasn't the conclusion you, or anyone else for that matter, wanted.
>>
>>340726659
>than the neatly designed levels of 4
You mean all 2 of them? That last for a total of two hours at most? It didn't even have fucking VR missions. The mechanics are completely wasted.

V literally gave you the same level of gameplay in the first fucking actual mission where you rescue Kaz. Anything after that (and there was plenty) was a bonus.
>>
File: Maka dont give a fuck.gif (957 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Maka dont give a fuck.gif
957 KB, 320x180
>>340726428
>You're being retarded and stubborn.

Right back at ya
>>
>>340726751
I hate it because it's fucking retarded retconing and character ruining. I paid attention and that's why I was able to point out how retarded it is. There's a reason why you're unable to defend it, spoilers: it's because it makes no fucking sense.
>>
>>340726889
he can't even use spoilers right and he wants people to take him seriously
>>
>>340726953
Not an argument :^)
>>
>>340726824
>Anything after that (and there was plenty) was a bonus.
With the problem that the game is fifty-something hours long and after five you've seen anything it has to offer, and that extends to most of the plot as well.

If you want to talk about bonuses, playing V after experiencing most of Peace Walker will leave you mind-boggled about how KojiPro managed to make things like Side Ops or constructing ZEKE (just two examples, there's way more) interesting in PW but completely shit the bed here.

4 objectively improved on mechanics from 3 and past games. What the fuck did V do?
>>
File: fate prisma illya.gif (483 KB, 243x270) Image search: [Google]
fate prisma illya.gif
483 KB, 243x270
>>340727019
People already made better augments I rather not pull a MGSV and rehash the same thing over and over again
>>
>>340727095
>What the fuck did V do?
It was a game with actual gameplay in it and it didn't completely rape the series.

That's all it takes for it to be better than 4. It managed not to be complete fucking garbage. Congratulations!

No, it's not a particularly high bar, but it's one it cleared.
>>
>>340726889
MGS had always been retconned with every new game coming out, looking at MGS from a diachronic point - if you weren't expecting retcons with 4, you are retarded.

And you have to also realize that Kojima could've only done so much with all of the baggage that he gave himself with things like three or two.
>>
>>340707316
>This is the only joost webm in the thread

Disappointing. I would post some but I'm on my phone at the moment
>>
>>340727208
>Kojima could've only done so much with all of the baggage that he gave himself with things like three or two.
He could have made a plot that wasn't complete shit. And the disaster that is MGS 4 is not just on Kojima, it's on the rest of the team as well. For example, they were responsible for Snake and Otacon not getting executed, which, despite not having fixed MGS 4's lack of gameplay, would have most certainly softened the blow story-wise if that was the ending instead of the garbage we got.
>>
>>340727167
>and it didn't completely rape the series.
Of course it fucking did, it's the first title in the series that feels generic and devoid of any style. It's also the first title which doesn't have any interesting hooks or themes to keep you occupied independent of the fact that it takes place in the Metal Gear canon.

If 4 ruined everything, how come Peace Walker turned out to be a relatively good game?
>>
>>340727167
>actual gameplay
I love this meme most of all

What is "actual gameplay," anon?
>>
>>340727361
Snake dies anyway some time after 4 ends. Stop acting like him failing to kill himself and then meeting exposition-mode Big Boss is this huge jarring thing.
>>
>>340727364
It ruined and raped the story. Anything past 4 was stupid at best story-wise, but not nearly as stupid as 4.
And I love this revisionism where we pretend people didn't bitch that MGS 4 didn't play enough like the previous games and felt too much like a generic third person shooter. I guess time heals all wounds, the same will probably happen to V.
>>
>>340727496
It is when the exposition is completely awful. Just a reminder:
>I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE POSSESSED, LMAO!
>>
>>340706859
5. The gameplay was always secondary, and it was just as much in 4. The story in 4 though, somehow wraps up the convoluted story in a satisfying manner. The only real disappointments were the bosses, which they finally stopped trying to make cool. It wasn't surprising though, since every game the bosses had been getting less memorable.
Meanwhile 5 has almost no story and the story it does have its completely pointless to moving the story forward besides tying up one plot hole. And that's not even until chapter 2,chapter one is a completely pointless mess. While they made the controls some of the best feeling controls of all time, they made the game a huge empty sandbox with only a few different objective types to do for 80 hours. That's worse than 15 hours of running to the next cutscene in my book. It's a shame to, because as we saw in Ground Zeroes if they focused on smaller tighter levels and made this a 20 hour game it could have been great with tons of replayability. Also they took out bosses completely. Once again not unexpected due to them lessening in quality each game, but it's disappointing that they didn't even try aside from one bullersponge mech with basically no one driving it and therefore no stakes.
>>
>>340727428
Act 1, the first half of Act 2 and the boss fights.
>>
>>340727518
I recognize that 4 is shit but I'm not a stubborn asshole who constently compares 4 to V and somehow concludes that the former is worse ON THE SINGULAR MERIT of it having more meaning canonically.

There's so much more to consider when comparing the two, and I'm getting tired of mentioning what V manages to pull out of its ass.
>>
>>340727586
>The story in 4 though, somehow wraps up the convoluted story in a satisfying manner
If you're retarded, maybe. In actuality, it rapes everything that was established in the previous games.
>>
>>340727167
>didn't completely rape the series.

>bosses were shit

>unfinished plot and game

>retcons a good chunk of MGS3 for no real reason

>Adds nothing to the plot and leave more questions then answers

>had worse bosses then MGS4

>ranking system rewards you for going rambo

>Empty open world with nothing to do outside of running to outpost and pressing X to pick up supplies

>instead of showing us more of Zero and explaining how he was the master mind they put him in tapes and explain he's dying

>EVA says in MGS4 that Zero and Big Boss were mortal enemies who had a secret war for years and then it turns out they were secretly friends all along

Keep sucking that Kojima dick
>>
>>340727743
V didn't have bosses, you silly goose.
>>
>>340727095
Aside from some streamlining I think MGS4 just made shit worse. I agree about MGSV, though.
>>
>>340727643
No, I mean define the concept of "actual gameplay."

What do the other parts do that are not "actual" gameplay?
What is this purported "fake" gameplay?

What makes it not real gameplay?
>>
>>340727743
oh and I forgot

>blood screen so real health regen
>>
>>340727724
How? The only actual conflict I can think of is that the Patriots aren't actually 100 year old beings created in the walls of the white house, but even then it works as a metaphor for what they actually are.
>>
>>340727743
>Keep sucking that Kojima dick
>By saying that MGS 4 is an atrocity
How fucking retarded are you? Kojima was responsible for the trash that was MGS 4.

And I don't disagree with a lot of what you say. MGS V had fairly poor boss fights and the open world was empty and the missions repetitive and generic. But it still had more and better gameplay than 4 and a considerably less retarded story. I'm just stating the facts here.
>>
>>340727962
>a considerably less retarded story.

What story?
>>
>>340727892
I'm talking about shit like the microwave hall where you press the thumbstick up to crawl forward, the 4 minute long sneaking section in Act V before the diarrhea of cutscenes, the shitty turret sections, the chaff grenade throwing simulator in Shadow Moses and the whistling bullshit in Act 3.

If you want to defend that shit, go right on ahead.
>>
>>340728124
>the microwave hall where you press the thumbstick up to crawl forward
Well that makes sense, that's how you've always crawled forward in MGS games.

>the 4 minute long sneaking section
>turret sections
>Shadow Moses
>Act 3
I dunno anon these all sound like parts of the game the player has full control during

Usually this is called gameplay.
>>
>>340727962
>considerably less retarded story

>MY METAL GEAR IS POWERED..... BY HATE
>I'LL SEND A MUTE SOLDIER TO INFECT Y'ALL WITH FUCKING ENGLISH PARASITES
>WOL
>BA
>CHIA
>ANCIENT VIRUS TURNS BLACK PEOPLE INTO ZOMBIES HURLING BOULDERS
>YO WHERE'S THE REAL BIG BAWWSS? DOING COOL SHIT BEHIND THE SCENES
>"GOOD LUCK, FAGGOT" - "VIC" BOSS
>YOU WERE DA BOSS ALL ALONG :)
>....COPULATION
>EYY BOSS WE HAVE LIKE A 1000 SOLDIERS UNDER OURSELVES, MAYBE WE SHOULD ATTACK XOF AND WIPE THEM OUT OR SOMETHING
>NAW LEMME RIDE A JEEP WITH SKULL FEICE IT WILL WORK OUT SOMEHOW

fuck outta here
>>
>>340728239
Very well, in that case MGS V has 100 hours of gameplay when you count all the side-quests and every single mission.
Only fair if we're gonna count shit gameplay.
>>
>>340706859
V simply because no chapter 3

Has better gameplay than 4, but who gives a fuck?
>>
>>340728303
>shit gameplay
Well this is opinion but yes, even bad gameplay is still gameplay.

This is my #1 pet peeve on /v/
>hurr this part of the game I don't like actually isn't gameplay at all somehow
Fuckin' retarded.
>>
>>340728303
>100 hours of gameplay

This is the same as the people who said GZ had over a hundred hours of gameplay. Doing the same shit over and over again is nothing to brag about. If it was a 100 hours of unique gameplay with new enemies, locations, items and most importantly a reason to why you are doing the things you do in the game. THEN you would have a point
>>
>>340728290
>SNAKE IS ABOUT TO HAVE A MEANINGFUL SUICIDE THAT... PSYCHE! PFAHAHAHA, YOU ACTUALLY THOUGHT WE WERE GONNA DELIVER ON ANYTHING HERE?
>BIG BOSS WAS ALIVE ALL ALONG BUT IN SOME COMA AND NOW HE'S GONNA GIVE YOU THIS RETARDED EXPOSITION DUMP.
>LIQUID WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE POSSESSED LMAO
>BY THE WAY THESE GUYS ARE THE PATRIOTS FOR NO PARTICULARLY GOOD ESTABLISHED REASON ROFL
>THIS SUPER INTELLIGENT A.I. THAT CONTROLS THE WORLD'S GOVERNMENT AND CULTURE THROUGH THE PROCESSING OF INFORMATION FELL FOR THE "I WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO BE POSSESSED" LIE, DESPITE THE FACT THE GAME OUTRIGHT STATES THIS ISN'T MEDICALLY POSSIBLE EVEN IN MGS 4'S WORLD.
>THEY NOW BELIEVE THAT OCELOT, A PERSON THEY THINK IS ON THEIR SIDE, IS LIQUID, A PERSON THAT APPARENTLY WANTED TO DESTROY THEM ALL ALONG
>THAT MEANS THEY LET HIM GO IN PEACE NOW ROFL
>ALRIGHT THAT'S ENOUGH EXPOSITION, YOU ACTUALLY JUST KILLED ME WITH YOUR VIRUS, CYA.

Fuck outta here.
>>
>>340728562
Next time follow the conversation, you completely misunderstood the context. I was being ironic.
>>
>>340728563
You'll disagree but that's still considerably less retarded than V.
>>
>>340728618
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>340719921
Stopped reading after MGO was apparently a novelty
>>
>>340728563
Big Boss coming back to life to spout some shit and then die again was one of MGS4's worst moments, but I don't see a problem with Snake surviving or struggling to kill himself.
>>
>>340728653
I'll disagree because it's wrong.
>>
MGSV

4 at least acted like an MGS game, even though it laid the fanservice on really thick.
>>
>>340728689
No, you seriously are retarded, my man. I wasn't "pretending to be retarded". I was saying that if we were gonna count shit gameplay from one game, then we could also count the shit gameplay from another.
>>
The ratio of actual console owners/PC users on /v/ should tell me that 80% of the people in this thread haven't actually played /4/ but were most likely around or have seen some footage of it on youtube.

Keep in this this is a PC majority board by a large margin when you are talking to these people who have supposedly played both games.
>>
>>340728653
I don't know man I think them saying out of the blue that you are not Big Boss but the medic and that the medic and Big Boss were like the best friends the planet ever seen off screen was just as retarded as anything from MGS4

Personally I think both are shit metal gear games but I like MGS4 better for two reasons it was treated like the ending to the story and it was a finished game.
>>
>>340728714
Doesn't fucking matter, nothing from 4 that you can dig out is more retarded than Snuffalufagus, Skull Face or the whole phenomenon of vocal chord parasites. End of discusson.
>>
>>340728795
Yeah, it's pretty likely that the people going "MGS V sucks and is worse than MGS 4 xD" are just bandwagon followers that weren't there to experience the disaster that was MGS 4, and in fact have probably never played it and only watched a let's play on youtube.

Those of us who actually played the damn game and were here to rightfully shit on it back when it came out are the ones that are able to keep things in perspective instead of just going with the Zelda Cycle equivalent of MGS
>>
What the fuck happen to ZEKE in MGSV?
>>
File: 1465633390643.jpg (109 KB, 624x704) Image search: [Google]
1465633390643.jpg
109 KB, 624x704
The worst part is even if MGSV's cut "ending" was still in the game it'd wouldn't make it any less dumb and shitty.

The only way to salvage MGSV's horrible plot twist was to recreate MG1's final boss fight, but I'm not even sure if that would have been enough.
>>
>>340728843
>Personally I think both are shit metal gear games but I like MGS4 better
That's what I and a few other people have been saying for the entirety of the thread.
>>
>>340728863
The super ultra intelligent A.I. that single-handedly controls the world's economy, war and culture falling for someone saying he's someone else is more retarded than all of that, sorry.
>>
>>340728901
In ground zeroes they explain that they hid it along with the nuke on the ocean floor. Then everyone forgets about it and never mentions it again.
>>
>>340728896
I played all the games though out my life and I did shit on MGS4 back then but my outlook has changed since MGSV. To put my views in perspective I feel MGSV is as disappointing as Mass Effect 3. BUT just because I find it disappointing does not make me think it's a bad game
>>
>>340728968
That's the thing that you have trouble suspending your disbelief with? Fucking kek, man. It must suck to play through 2 and not be able to get into the story then, it has the exact same thing.
>>
>>340728975
So there is a metal gear just out there and no one ever found it? Jesus
>>
>4 is better than V
>STOP DEFENDING 4 IT'S SHIT YOU FUCKING IDIOT

Nice logic.
>>
File: pcmr.png (24 KB, 650x280) Image search: [Google]
pcmr.png
24 KB, 650x280
>>340728896
>Those of us who actually played the damn game and were here to rightfully shit on it

Sorry, no dice PC user. MGS 4 had basically the same gameplay as 1~3 with a good amount of improvements, aiming and a lot more content in terms of story, bosses, and gameplay areas. You are a contrarian of the worst degree.
>>
>>340729019
Your outlook has changed because MGS V is the most recent game. If the games were switched around you would be shitting on MGS 4 instead.

As I said: Zelda Cycle equivalent for MGS.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.