[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
From a design perspective, what is the reason behind respawning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: legend-of-zelda.jpg (493 KB, 1600x1000) Image search: [Google]
legend-of-zelda.jpg
493 KB, 1600x1000
From a design perspective, what is the reason behind respawning with 3 hearts instead of full health after dying?
In my experience it only adds tedius pot smashing before attempting a tough area again.
>>
It punishes the player for failing. Game design 101
>>
>>340680886
/thread
>>
>>340680886
I'd say that going through half the dungeon is punishing enough, farming health for 5 minutes is just tedious
>>
I also think that if that would be a good decision design wise, more devs would've tried it, but the majority of game designers let the player respawn with 100% health
>>
bump, I'm curious if they ever changed that. The last one I played was Windwaker
>>
>>340680613
It forces the player to regroup, perhaps retreat to replenish their inventory of bottled potions/fairies/etc., instead of brazenly charging back into the thing that killed them in the first place.
>>
You're not supposed to play an action adventure game with the intent of starting over.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 500x455
>dying in a Zelda game past the SNES
>>
File: GZLE01-27.png (918 KB, 1392x832) Image search: [Google]
GZLE01-27.png
918 KB, 1392x832
>>
File: GZLE01-28.png (434 KB, 1392x832) Image search: [Google]
GZLE01-28.png
434 KB, 1392x832
boop
>>
>>340680613
It's so you don't use dying as a way to get back to full health. Think about it like this. You get to the boss door but have 4 hearts left out of 12, so you kill yourself on purpose and take the quick easy walk back at full health now that you opened all the shortcuts. You would effectively be getting a free full heal just for being warped to the entrance. Thanks to this punishment, the game makes you prepare by in advance by bringing potions, travel to a great fairy, farm monsters, or buy hearts with rupees. This encourages being prepared, exploration, combat skills, and saving resources respectively which I think is a fair cost.
>>
>>340680886
>>340680613
this. it's not a complicated mechanism

you need to challenge your players. if they lose they will have a more challenging time unless they perform a task they don't want to.

done.
easy.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.