[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do video game companies tend to shut down fan-made projects
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: mgsp.jpg (141 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mgsp.jpg
141 KB, 1920x1080
Why do video game companies tend to shut down fan-made projects (like movies, games, whatever) based on their own licenses, even if they're not meant for commercial purposes? I mean, rationally speaking, what do they accomplish with this?

Do they just send cease and desist without doing a little bit of research first, or are they blatantly stupid?

I would understand if the creative itself of said game felt that his "baby" shouldn't be touched by anyone except for him and his team. But why does the company care so much?
>>
Companies are businesses and want to sell more. They won't sell as much if someone else is supplying the buyers in the same market segment or specifically game franchise.
>>
>>340670605
Companies must aggressively defend their trademarks or else they lose them.

/thread
>>
Depends on the companies, for the most part. I'll provide an example:

Blizzard-big company with a reputation, they gotta look like the big man on campus, stopping anything and everything they themselves didn't make that uses their IP. ie. OW lewd stuff, legacy WoW servers.

Capcom-MegaMan Battle Network Chrono X is a fan based project that has been worked on since I believe 2012, fact check me if I'm wrong. Since Capcom couldn't give less of a shit about what happens to MegaMan as an IP anymore, they have no desire to stop what these people are doing.
>>
>>340671298
This. There's a law that says that if you let anyone get away with using your shit, anyone can use it. Basically, if Nintendo allow someone to make their own Mario game (without any licence agreements), Sony can too.
>>
>>340670605
they don't want to encourage people making stuff without getting permission first.
Have you noticed how fan projects always start without getting permission because they know they won't get it anyway?
>>
>>340671298
What this guy said. Big companies have a legal obligation to defend their trademarks. Yes, even if they don't want to.
>>
>>340671032

Do they really think a bunch of amateurs with less experience can deliver a product that equals or surpasses the quality of the official games? Fan-made games were never as complex or appealing for the mass.

Then again, what if it is a movie?
>>
>>340670605
You have to enforce your copyright in order to keep it
>>
>>340671564

But then Sony would make profit of it. It's not the same.
>>
>>340671609
>>340671791

Is that it? Wow, copyright is such a convoluted nonsense concept. It's like we're stuck in last century. No wonder why companies act like a bunch of whiny teenagers
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.