[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
File: Kickstarter-logpo[1].jpg (159 KB, 1500x750) Image search: [Google]
Kickstarter-logpo[1].jpg
159 KB, 1500x750
Thoughts?
>>
>>340653168
I like it cause it helped me fund a short film for 10k.

But I can also recognize that the only vidya related thing worth a damn to come out of it is Shovel Knight. Yooka-Laylee looks pretty good too.
>>
It gave us Yooka-Laylee, Chivalry, FTL, Shovel Knight, and Undertale, so its obviously not all bad.

In fact, I've been incredibly happy with 90 percent of what I've backed. In spite of /v/'s unfortunate tendency to generalize entire services and platforms based on "blunders," I think it's been an overall net positive these last five years.
>>
Less than 1% chance of not being a scam.

Go on, throw your money away.
>>
>>340653168
It can be a great way to get some quality products made. More of a glorified pre-ordering system based on promises as opposed to actually being a financial backer of something but whatever.

Unfortunately, people aren't too smart about what they back.
If something sounds too good to be true, too grand in scope or scale, has clearly no chance of being any good or even made then you probably shouldn't back it.
>>
>>340653168
Kikestarter seems like a good ideal in theory but retards keep falling for the bait and we end with stuff like Mighty No.9
>>
File: crowdfunding2.jpg (3 MB, 1920x8500) Image search: [Google]
crowdfunding2.jpg
3 MB, 1920x8500
>>340653168

every game on it gets delayed or worse, mysteriously cancelled or worse, the interessing game never get funded and instead the one that get all the money are either the one that don't need in the first place or the one that were inspired by at least one nintendo/square-enix/capcom game,

the few good game we got >>340655085 don't really outweight all the bullshit pulled so really it's mostly a scam for guillible people and the worst thing is that you are a hater for saying so

i know the pic is old and hyperlight drifter came out and i guess it was ok, i guess i'll remove it later
>>
>>340655628
Hyper Light Drifter is out twat
>>
>>340655732

did you even read the spoiler you twit?
>>
>>340653168
I kick-started some books and they were good
I got the PDFs fairly quickly
>>
Good when the people creating the campaigns aren't scammers.
>>
>>340655905

by the way i should add starforge to the list instead, the steam page is a fucking riot, it's literaly the first game i've ever seen on steam that has a rating of 0% regarding recent review

http://store.steampowered.com/app/227680/
>>
>>340655628
Wait so if the dev runs out of money and the project is cancelled, people dont get their money back?
Why would anyone donate large amounts of money this?
Why donate at all
>>
File: cthulhu1.jpg (89 KB, 584x700) Image search: [Google]
cthulhu1.jpg
89 KB, 584x700
>>340655628
>Talking shit about Cosmic Star Heroine

Zeboyd makes good games.
>>
>>340655628

by the way i made this pic in october 9 2015

it's 8 month later and mighty no 9 is still not out
>>
>>340656591

because people are stupid
>>
>>340655628
What was the full story of the Godus winner?
>>
I only backed one game, Bloodstained, at $30.
I guess it's making okay progress. At least it's not mighty no 9
>>
>>340653168
As with any investment you make, you have to know what you're investing in, and believe in it. You also have to be prepared for it's failure, and your loss. Ultimately, it's a necessary tool in order to allow small projects a fair chance.
>>
>>340653168
I backed massive chalice. I have never felt like such a fucking idiot.
>>
>>340653168
So few games actually end up not being scams. It gave us Shovel Knight, Hyper Light Drifter, among other games and Bloodstained is looking swell, but for the most part it's ends up disappointing people. Once in awhile I'll support projects I think will do good, but only $10-$20.
>>
>>340657016
I backed Bloodstained too, but I have doubts they'll make the early 2017 release date. Most likely it'll be late 17 / early 18.
>>
File: josh shows how to balance.jpg (39 KB, 400x614) Image search: [Google]
josh shows how to balance.jpg
39 KB, 400x614
it's always a risk that you shouldn't take if you have doubts or can't afford to throw money away

it has funded several good games though so it can work if the people are trustworthy
>>
File: 109123823280.png (952 KB, 700x793) Image search: [Google]
109123823280.png
952 KB, 700x793
>>340653168
Hopefully I dont regret donating 40.
>>
>>340653168
It is a tool that can be used or abused depending on who is running the Kickstarter. Always do your homework and make sure a campaign is trustworthy if you're interested in backing it. It's not inherently bad but easily exploited by bad people.
>>
File: amplitude[1].jpg (138 KB, 640x394) Image search: [Google]
amplitude[1].jpg
138 KB, 640x394
Best game that came from Kickstarter. Haven't stopped playing it.
>>
>>340656426
I remember the old demo was fun, what happened?
>>
>>340656591
>Why donate at all
To get a game that would never see the light otherwise.
>>
>>340653168
It's abused by idiots who get in way over their head and end up facing ABSOLUTELY NO CONSEQUENCES.
>>
>>340656591
>Wait so if the dev runs out of money and the project is cancelled, people dont get their money back?
If the project is kickstarted people hand over money, if the dev then runs the project into the ground with mismanagement there's no money to give back, and it becomes a legal grey area about if the backers can sue.
>>
>>340660390
I think it would be fair if the devs were expected to prove that they are spending the money on making the game rather than wasting it all with shit. Some people just throw it all away.
>>
File: consider-the-following.jpg (24 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
consider-the-following.jpg
24 KB, 600x451
>>340655628
Broken Age broke Tim. It was originally just supposed to be a little experiment for a more old fashioned style point and click, then he got more money which made him more ambitious, yet the money wasn't what he's used working with on those kind of projects, and with backers breathing down his neck I don't think it made for a pleasant experience for anyone involved, with lot of stupid things said and accusations made on both sides. I decided to stay out of the drama early on and just judge the product on its own merits once finished, an approach I've taken since then with every succeeding Kickstarter, and I got my money's worth having originally been promised an experiment Tim was pretty honest about not knowing if would turn out good or not.

Mighty No.9 is a game /v/ decided to hate from all but day one when they meet its "community manager". I'm not saying that it will end up a masterpiece or even good or even that its development has been handled in the best manner, but there's been an active hate campaign going on towards it for the most retarded of reasons, the same sort of reasons that killed GG during its birth.

Not sure why Satellite Reign or Mercenary Kings are on there, when is it a crime to be "above average". Plenty of worse games out there I'm sure you've enjoyed. Then again I haven't played it, nor Armikrog, Planetary Annihilation, and Carmageddon, but I'm just too sad that they seem to have been disappointments to try them out.

As with Midora, that's the risk you run with every Kickstarter. You do not simply buy a product, you donate money to give someone a chance to make something. If you don't want the risk of things like that happening, don't use the service and pre-order games instead.

And I agree with >>340656702 , the games Zeboyd makes aren't for everyone but there's enough charm to them despite surface appearances for them to have a following. It's a similar sort of crowd that made Barkley 2 a reality.
>>
>>340660551
That's between the backers and the devs. Kickstarter purposely rewrote their legal agreements to take a large step back from any kind of responsibility after a bunch of obvious scams got kickstarted and people started asking if they could sue kickstarter.
>>
>>340656746
And? Delays happen all the time in the non Kickstarter arm of the video game development world. Are you so anxious to play it despite /v/s bitching and moanings that you can't wait a bit more, or do you honestly think they'll fail to release it at this time of development?
Seriously, I've never seen /v/ be as passive-aggressive towards a game they decided to hate, it's almost as if they just can't wait to play it.
>>
>>340653168
wrote a paper on it

in short large projects like video games are shit out of luck as they are the most likely ones to fail due to all the factors that go into making one and the unpredictability of funding

that and the fact that kickstarter (and patreon) will do anything (like not holding them to all that much accountability) to keep the creators even if it means backers get fucked since it's harder to hold on to creators who bring in the money

Patreon is more interesting though since they shot themselves in the foot by fencing off the entire platform now that they either have to stick to their "freedom of art and expression" shit or start restricting nsfw content like crazy
>>
File: 1464233779419.png (124 KB, 595x590) Image search: [Google]
1464233779419.png
124 KB, 595x590
>>340653168
>>
It gave us the wonderful trainwreck that is mighty no.9 so it's all good in my book
>>
File: FUCKING POORFAGS.jpg (103 KB, 960x813) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING POORFAGS.jpg
103 KB, 960x813
>>340661221
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.