[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Terraria
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19
File: Terraria.jpg (154 KB, 1080x608) Image search: [Google]
Terraria.jpg
154 KB, 1080x608
Why is this game so fantastic?
>>
In a weird turn of irony, the constant additional content turned me off the game.

It's like becoming a master in your field, taking a short break and returning to find that everything has changed and you need to start from square one again.

I have over 400 hours logged, but none since any major update.
>>
Redigit is based that's why

Otherworlds when? there hasn't been any news of it in fucking 6th months
>>
>>340651697
>deleting characters
>>
Because they took Minecraft and actually made it a game
>>
>>340652285
*infiminer
>>
Your skill at killing bosses determines if you're gonna need to mine at all.
Half the metals in the game can be skipped by boss loot.

So you really feel progression from the combat instead of having to mine for years to get anywhere
>>
>>340651418
The game is constantly growing while you play it, and I'm not talking about updates.
Early game it kinda feels like a 2d minecraft clone (collect wood, build house, avoid death), but then instead of a house you have to build a village or a fortress or a nazi camp for NPCs. Then you start exploring more both the surface and underground, searching for minerals. But not only minerals you also find unique items with cool effects that you never actually expected to find. Then you meet the bosses. You probably will get killed a few times, but you will eventually figure out how to use both your stuff and the terrain to your advantage.

And you know the rest. Progression in this game is really fun and rewarding. You keep finding whole new gameplay mechanics and ways to do all sorts of crazy shit.
>>
>>340651418
Because it's got years and years of polishing to turn it from a somewhat mediocre 2D minecraft clone into a breakout brother genre to voxel sandboxes, making it the first entry in, and gold standard for games of its type. On top of that, it remains a dirt cheap game that can run on toasters to this very day, and is STILL RECEIVING UPDATES. FOR FREE. THEY'RE STILL MAKING THEM, RIGHT NOW. ALL THE ART ASSETS FOR 1.3.2 HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE, AND THEY'RE JUST CODING UP SOME NEW CONTENT FOR THE UNDERGROUND DESERT AND A MINI-EVENT.

They focused on improving what systems they had put into place over constantly reworking them from the ground up, so that the experience of users would expand into the new rather than having to constantly re-learn old things.

They focused on introducing new systems that did not feel overly out of place. They got things to a point before release where they were not just "working," but had their own merits and appreciable functions regardless of whether they would improve on them in the future... which they would do regardless (mounts and fishing).

They've given players a myriad of ways to progress through the game. Whilst bottlenecks do still exist, you will ALWAYS have options on whether you want to go straight to progression or go somewhere else that may have its own benefits and help your playstyle or make progression a little bit easier.

What few flaws the game has are a direct result of under-the-hood coding from a time that the original developer was a relative amateur that cannot be changed without rewriting the whole game from scratch, and the over all framework that the game was based on in the first place.
>>
>>340655472
I'll bump YOU, m8.

Also yooooooooooooo, the Grand Design is some insanely handy shit. Jesus. Makes wiring 50x easier, minimum.
>>
>>340651418
>>340651697
Holy shit, this looks barely like the game I played. I stopped playing when that new mode after the wall boss was added. All I know is there was a snow biome added later. How much did I miss? Should I start playing again?
>>
>>340655807
>How much did I miss?
Enough content to warrent another playthrough.

>Should I start playing again?
If you want to you might as well at this point, it's not like there's going to be another major update again considering they're working on Terraria 2
>>
>>340655807
>I stopped playing when that new mode after the wall boss was added.
You missed a whole world of new stuff, including biomes, items, bosses, events, NPCs, etc.

You should definitively play it again. Avoid guides at first because discovering all new stuff by yourself is the best way to enjoy it.
>>
>>340651697
That's called burning yourself out and being too pleb to start fresh.
>>
Is there a way in this game to figure out some of the recipes without the wiki? The guide hints at some stuff but that's about it right?
>>
>>340656380
Anything that can be crafted into something has 'material' listed in it's description. Whenever a new update comes out I see what can be done with new shit with the guide if it's a material.
>>
>>340656380
>give item to a guide
>he shows every recipe that uses that item
how didn't you figure this out yet
>>
>>340656634
Holy shit. I legit never knew that, well i feel like a dang ol' dingus now. That was my main complaint with the game that there wasn't a way to figure recipes out. Aw man i'm a fool.
>>
>>340655807
>I stopped playing when that new mode after the wall boss was added.
That particular update added a bunch of stuff, but it was all kind of shit. Hardmode was done really poorly.

They've smoothed everything out and have done larger updates since then. It's worth trying.
>>
>>340656634
So what do you guys usually do once you beat the moon lord ? I know theres a few hard events that can be completed, but killing the world's boss always makes me stop playing
>>
>>340656054
Incorrect. Terraria 2 isn't in development currently. Red is currently helping out with Otherworld development, but the rest of the team is still working on Terraria updates. 1.3.2 is currently in the coding stage, since the spritework has already been completed. It will focus on the Underground Desert and a mini-biome, and has chest sorting.

>>340655807
Oh hell. There's an underground desert biome, giant trees with ways to make living wood furniture if you find treasure in them, marble and granite biomes, temporary NPCs that wander around the world, NPCs can defend themselves and/or have some measure of use outside of their shops, there's a new difficulty (Expert Mode, doubles enemy health and damage as a base, but many enemies get new attacks, new AI, and bosses get like third or fourth stages or just generally more punishing movesetes, plus a myriad of other small gameplay changes to make it tougher), alternate ores exist that you may get at random depending on world creation (copper/tin, iron/lead, silver/tungsten, gold/platinum, cobalt/palladium, mythril/orichalcum, adamantite/titanium), an alternate version of the Corruption based more around gore and cancerous flesh (with its own, unique boss) and bile than toxins and teeth and fire), like... 6 new bosses (two entirely optional in progression), a hardmode dungeon, a hardmode enemy for goblins, a new pre-hardmode invasion event (slimes, ending in the slime king), two new hardmode invasion events (pirates and ayyliens), three full-blown boss-tier invasion events with tons of their own unique equipment, fishing, mounts, wiring improvements out the wazoo (logic gates, hooooooo), new weapon and armour classes...

And that's just off the top of my head and not even everything you'll encounter.
>>
>>340657241
>corruptor's spit projectile attack could spread corruption
>clown's bombs destroyed tiles
that was some shit
>>
File: 1336914169651.png (111 KB, 246x247) Image search: [Google]
1336914169651.png
111 KB, 246x247
>>340657410
>>
>>340651418
Because there's so much game. Simply getting from A to Z at a leisurely pace is hundreds of hours, none of which feel boring or tedious in the slightest. And they're still adding MORE content. For free.

It's bizarre. Literally a light shining in darkness and a design ethic that more companies should consider.
>>
>>340657324
>So what do you guys usually do once you beat the moon lord
quit and wait for the next content update
>>
>>340656054
>>340656072
>>340657241
>>340657335
Damn, I'll definitely start over. It'll probably feel like the first time I played it back when it was released.
>>
>>340657324
Well, Moon Lord is literally the last step in progression and gives you the strongest shit. Duke Fishron is something you can do literally the moment you start Hardmode (but will be balls ass hard), Pumpkin Moon is accessible the moment you beat your first mech boss, Frost Moon is accessible after you beat Plantera, Ayyliums are accessible after Golem, and that's about it.

Once I beat Moon Lord I tend to focus on building, or fucking around with engineering to understand wiring and wiring constructs better, in order to change up the experience of future fresh playthroughs by incorporating certain elements into my building earlier on.
>>
>>340657410
Ah, the time spend mining out the entire dungeon to make a hardmode-viable fortress that clowns couldn't fuck up.

Don't miss it.
>>
The Apache is pretty good.
>>
The Apache helicopters are sick as fuck.
>>
>>340657829
It'll be hilarious, the day they add an apache mount.
>>
>>340657549
That approach really only works with procedurally generated games, and I don't give a shit about those
>>
>>340657730
yeah, I didn't want to sacrifice my base's aesthetic to adhere to the dungeon brick meta, so I just fucked off underground whenever a bloodmoon hit
>>
WHY
THE FUCK
DO YOU STILL NEED TO MAKE MULTIPLE LIGHT DISCS AND FIND MULTIPLE BANANARANGS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>340658205
why is this a problem for you?
>>
The fact that I bought it when it came out in 2011 really just makes me appreciate how much it's changed even more. It's like a watching a civilization go through it's golden years
>>
>>340658476
>get lucky enough to kill 5 clowns over a dozen hours
>3 bananarangs
>out of a maximum stack of 10
>>
>>340651418
I've been playing a lot of Planet Centauri and it's just never going to catch on.
Terraira controls super well and the crafting menu just works so much better than any of the games trying to copy it. They can add whatever content they want, spellcrafting, transforming into monsters, catching enemies like pokemon, nothing will ever make the game good because the UI is just so garbage.
>>
Alright, what's the latest version? Terraria Wiki says 1.3.0.1 but the bay of pirates says 2.8.0.10.
>>
>>340659338
My steam copy says 1.3.1.1
>>
>>340659749
Strange, it was uploaded by a VIP and it's supposedly a GOG version.
>>
>>340660362
1.3.1 is the newest update, with a stability / balance patch after it.
>>
File: spear engine item elevator.webm (183 KB, 412x387) Image search: [Google]
spear engine item elevator.webm
183 KB, 412x387
This may have an extremely niche use, but...
>>
>>340664007
That's good for the AFK event farms
>>
>>340664421
's primarily what I developed it for, I figure, although I imagine someone else in the engineering forums on Terraria.Org already figured that out before I did.

A dude was lamenting about how vertical conveyor belts wouldn't move items, so in a way that was for him.

Also the spear engine is a fucking great way in general to turn a one second timer into a multi-pulser with a short break, and can get away with half as many pressure pads as a dart engine would need, in addition to activating more often.
>>
LOGIC GATES AND PLAYER SENSORS
FUCKING AMAZING

Also, if you put [c/######: ] into an announcement box, where # = 0-F in hex for RRGGBB, you can colour the message.
>>
>>340651418

I have no idea, my only issue with it how little each tier lasts.

Feels like you push through weapons and armor too quickly.
>>
>>340667226
Maybe you're focusing too much on the progression?
>>
>Start new game
>Can't jump
>Can't sprint
>Raped by zombies because shortsword starter
>Large world
>Crimson to the east after a desert
>Crimson to the west
>Barely any surface caves
>Digging is slow
How do I motivate myself to keep going?
>>
>>340667849
>digging is slow
...smart cursor?
>>
>>340667979
For whatever reason, smart cursor seems bugged and won't work with my pickaxe.
Digging is still too slow to make a vertical hole below my base.
>>
>>340668351
1. Go into keybindings, see what Smart Select and Smart Cursor are set to.

2. Press and hold Smart Select key and move mouse over a block directly under you

3. If a pickaxe shows next to your cursor, go to 4. If not, press and hold the ACTUAL Smart Select key.

4. If there's a yellow box, continue to 6. If not, continue to 5.

5. Hit Smart Cursor key.

6. While pickaxe still shows, and while yellow box shows, hold click down.

At this point feel free to move your mouse as far away or in any direction you like to change the angle of your smart cursor.
>>
>>340667849
>starting a new game without gear
?
>>
>>340669316
>tainting progression by bringing equipment from other play sessions in
>>
Willing to bet 1.3.2 will hit before Halloween, given that a content update is much easier than a mechanical update.
>>
File: 1463977943623.gif (1022 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463977943623.gif
1022 KB, 500x500
Not letting this thread die, I love this game to death.

With that said though, was anyone else disappointed by expert mode? It offers a nice challenge, and the increased drop rates are pretty good, but it really feels like most of the new accessories are useless. I would really like to see new expert mode content, like new prefixes, or more accessory recipes.

Would any other anons like to see that?
>>
>>340651418
i work with autists on a daily basis

this is game they bring to the classroom every day

how does that make you feel /v/
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (384 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
384 KB, 2048x1152
So, which class is the best?
>>
>>340671283
It makes me feel good that I don't have your shitty job.
>>
>>340651697
starting fresh is the best part
>>
>>340670959
I thought Expert Mode honestly made the game easier.

The perks you get for beating the bosses well offsets how much harder they got.
>>
>>340671283
Those autistic kids must have good taste.
>>
>>340657490
I remember making lava molds out of obsidian just for the clowns
>>
>>340671294
Ranged a best
>>
>>340670959
I was actually really satisfied by expert mode. Basically the game felt too easy to me before, plus I'm the kind of person who really enjoys planning things out, preparing, and basically just smelling the roses the whole way along the trip, so it suits me just fine.

As it stands, I feel that the new additions in Expert Mode are more than fine. Everything has at the very least a niche use, based on your playstyle, or what you're doing with the game, while other things are fucking amazing. Shield of Cthulhu for instance makes a surprise return in usefulness when dealing with Duke Fishron, the Worm Scarf is good in general, if you just want shit to leave you alone then the Brain of Cthulhu's drop is fairly decent (for like, mining and building and shit), shiny stone is 10/10 for stationary grinders, spore sac is also useful for those or building, so on and so forth.
>>
File: fags.jpg (320 KB, 2500x3226) Image search: [Google]
fags.jpg
320 KB, 2500x3226
>1.3.1 was a massive flop
>Otherworld is vaporware
>Terraria 2 depends entirely on the success of said vaporware
>meanwhile Starbound is receiving massive content additions every single day
>1.0 on the horizon

Terrariacucks LITERALLY on suicide watch.
>>
File: MOTHER OF ALL OMELETTES, JACK.gif (537 KB, 356x275) Image search: [Google]
MOTHER OF ALL OMELETTES, JACK.gif
537 KB, 356x275
>>340657410
Holy fuck, I had almost forgotten about the old corruptors. I don't think a single vidya enemy has ever made me rage that hard.

It doesn't help that in 1.1 I played melee and they have an infuriating tendency to hover just outside your reach.
>>
>>340651418
>Terraria thread
>no server up
WHY IS THIS ALLOWED?
>>
>>340671294
Only did a run with Moon Lord while playing as Ranged. Buddy did Magic.

Ranged was fun. Chlorophyte Bullet is fucking great, and the buffs to arrows were great as well.

That said, the objective best is probably summoner, since you can afk everything.
>>
>>340667849
>shortsword
It should be able to attack anywhere you want, like spear, otherwise it''s useless shit.
>>
>>340671821
Terraria 2 was confirmed to be in development well before Otherworld. Try again Starcuck
>>
>>340672169
that's actually a really neat idea

It'd make them a lot more viable
>>
>>340671821
>defending memebound
You're either an idiot or a shill... or both.
>>
>>340671430
no it sisn't
>>
>>340672450
yeeah it is
yeah it is
>>
>>340671605
>>340671294
I think a lot of people make a really poor mistake of conflating "ranged" with "guns", and separating the other weapon styles like bows or flamethrowers or darts. Admittedly I'd like it if we could bind different ammo slots to different guns, but I realize the limitations in the system might make it difficult to do.

The Vortex armour's stealth mechanic could use a little bit of tweaking, I feel. Maybe instead of stealth mode, it's like, decoy mode, where you can set a decoy that will attract 50% of attention away from you to the decoy instead, but if the decoy is killed before you deactivate it then your stealth breaks and you suffer an exposed debuff where you take 10% more damage and your movespeed is reduced by 10%, for like 5 seconds.

As it is, currently stealth mode relies on having other players to be as effective as it could be, else you need to enter and exit it by manual button prompt constantly and/or have to rely on arena tricks to keep the buff, assuming you don't just make a build to tank everything and sit in one place.

Like at the very, very least I feel like there needs to be a dedicated one-press keybind for stealth mode instead of douple tapping down which may compromise movement, positioning, and/or speed of toggling.
>>
It's no fun on your own. Also I have no imagination so my house looks boring.
>>
>>340667849
>Raped by zombies because shortsword starter
Make a wooden Longsword ASAP. It has an arc swing and does more damage. You shouldn't be fucking with zombies at night until you get the gear.

>Crimson to the east after a desert
Pick up all that cactus. Cactus Sword is pretty big and deals good damage that early in the game. You can also make an armor set for 5 defense, but Copper or Tin is strictly better.
>>
File: Terraria 2015-07-26 22-31-44-40.jpg (287 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Terraria 2015-07-26 22-31-44-40.jpg
287 KB, 1920x1080
>>340672735
Did someone say "Box houses"?
>>
>>340672220
Red was working on the framework during the Terraria downtime after 1.1, but has since put it on hold. First to work on 1.2 and 1.3, and now to work on Otherworld.

>>340671821
>1.3.1
>flop
What?
...What?

Everyone already had the game. How the fuck is it a flop?

>otherworld is vaporware
It's just been quiet, is all. Not every game or studio constantly announces literally everything it's going to add or change.

>Terraria 2 depends entirely on the success of said vaporware
Who the fuck ever said anything to indicate anything of this nature?

>>340671828
Remember when you had to jump up every single block instead of walking up them like a normal person?
Remember when there was no background?
Remember when Vile Powder did damage?
Remember when CACTI did damage when you passed by them?
REMEMBER WHEN CACTI DID KNOCKBACK?
>>
File: smug man.jpg (280 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
smug man.jpg
280 KB, 1024x683
>>340672220
Otherworld was "confirmed" for a 2015 release

Keep rewriting history, Terrariacucks. Starbound won. It's over.
>>
>>340671821
Terraria has sold over 10M.. Terraria 2 doesn't depend on fuck all, financially.
>>
File: t001.png (968 KB, 1774x935) Image search: [Google]
t001.png
968 KB, 1774x935
>>340672735
I build for functionality, not for looks. Any thematic work done is to just help tell which NPC room is which.
>>
>>340671821
>shilling starbound
Please leave. Terraria has sold more than Starbound ever will.
>>
>>340651418
>Why is this game so autistic?

Fixed that for you.
>>
File: Crimother_2.png (306 KB, 818x414) Image search: [Google]
Crimother_2.png
306 KB, 818x414
>yfw otherworld
I know it's gonna be more RPG-like with elements of leveling and a more notable quest / story system, but I'm still excited. Hell, maybe that's why I'm excited.

No, wait.

The reason I'm excited is because there don't seem to be any hints of early access, and the game will probably have a decent progression system and most of the features it wants or needs well before release.

Also before anyone brings up |>tower defence |, I think that's actually just, like, a tower defence-like element, in the fact that you can make towers, and they can help you defend things, like the purification crystals that will shit on the corruption and draw loads of enemies in as it does so.
>>
>>340673738
This offends my aesthetic sensibilities, even as someone who is probably the epitome of function over fashion.
>>
>>340673949
Shit, they really broke mid-sentence greentexting, huh.
>>
File: smugdog.jpg (712 KB, 4928x3264) Image search: [Google]
smugdog.jpg
712 KB, 4928x3264
>>340673949
>he thinks Otherworld is coming out
>>
>>340673245
>REMEMBER WHEN CACTI DID KNOCKBACK?
stop.
>>
>>340674317
They release a new video about it every six months. It's well past its estimated date but that's fine I think. We're due for an update within the next month or two.
>>
>>340674584
>this is what Otherworld apologists actually believe

The game was supposed to be out already, friend. Did you forget?

I guess it's okay when Red does it. :^)
>>
File: Screenshot 2016-06-10 16.22.50.png (170 KB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-06-10 16.22.50.png
170 KB, 1360x768
>>340672735
How about a server?

Expert
Crimson

/register <password>
/login <password>
>>
>>340675072
It was estimated 2015, not confirmed 2015, and that was before Red decided to hop on the team, which since he's done we've gotten a video about swing grappling and the Crimson.
>>
>>340675072
>this is what starbound apologists actually believe
>>
>>340651418
I think it's the progression and the feeling of exploration. Overall it's such a charming and catchy game, even for an old cynical gamer like me.
>>
File: t002.png (821 KB, 1775x938) Image search: [Google]
t002.png
821 KB, 1775x938
>>340674056
Here's the level above that shot. The hallway is for Solar Eclipse fights and the trapped area on the top for Pirates and Martians.

Hallways is long as hell with asphalt floors, to give a running start vs Mothra. Ultrabright torches are spammed randomly on a light-colored wall for visibility during the night.

Teleporter room in the bottom right. We only bothered with 5 possible outputs because this was made before the latest patch.
>>
>>340675564
This is so grossly inefficient it offends not just my aesthetic sensibilities, but my engineer's sensibilities.
>>
>>340675318
ah yeah, here I come.
>>
>someone makes a terraria thread
>it's pretty nice, people talk
>inevitably starbound is brought up
>the thread devolves into shitflinging about how has a better 2D minecraft

Every time
>>
>>340673245
>Remember when CACTI did damage when you passed by them?
>REMEMBER WHEN CACTI DID KNOCKBACK?

>tfw HP regen also wasn't a thing and the nurse was actually useful until you could spamfest pots
It was some hard shit.

Also the dirt staff bug with sand will always be some scary shit.
>>
>>340671962
Yeah about that
How can Terraria be so much played but have 99% of servers empty as fuck? That's how it looks on serverlists anyway
>>
File: wip.jpg (371 KB, 1152x2352) Image search: [Google]
wip.jpg
371 KB, 1152x2352
Planning on moving out of my commie block, how's this base coming along lads?

Huge work in progress obviously, going for that SMT Order of Messiah vibe
>>
File: t003.png (365 KB, 1776x939) Image search: [Google]
t003.png
365 KB, 1776x939
>>340675775
The boss arena is just one big fucking lake. The trapped area from the last screen shot can be seen in the mini map after it was zoomed out.
>>
>>340676385
?
>>
File: 1454686105095.png (10 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1454686105095.png
10 KB, 400x400
>>340673245
Fuck that, remember when double jumping didn't fucking reset fall height? So much pain anon... so much pain
>>
>>340671821
Quality shitpost desu.
>>
>>340676385
but why
>>
>>340677283
Because it was easy to make and it works.

Got out the Bottomless Bucket, but a weight on the mouse, and made dinner. Came back and the boss arena was done, with some minor flooding elsewhere.
>>
>>340677873
Why would there be flooding

did you hold the bucket above the actual arena

why would you do that
>>
Having to gen a new world, which takes a moment
>>
>>340679160
Remember to copy the server side character files over.
>>
>>340671294
I played a warrior or whatever and all my friends made fun of me because of how weak I was.
>>
>>340679160
Large world gen is no joke
>>
File: JunkJack 2016-06-10 23-02-27-69.png (312 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
JunkJack 2016-06-10 23-02-27-69.png
312 KB, 1920x1080
I'm loving Junk Jack Bros.

Played it all the fucking time on iOS and love it. So much decor you can do.
>>
We're set!
>>
File: adverts welcome.png (4 KB, 119x16) Image search: [Google]
adverts welcome.png
4 KB, 119x16
>>340675318
>>340671962
>>340679616
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.