[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did Nintendo become irrelevant?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13
File: jillicious.jpg (70 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
jillicious.jpg
70 KB, 500x667
Even during the GameCube generation, Nintendo still had many games released for their console that were amongst the most acclaimed and talked about for its generation (Smash Bros. Melee, Metroid Prime, Wind Waker, RE4). For the Wii, although its sales were nearly five times that of the GameCube, it did not have many more acclaimed titles among the core crowd (pretty much just Twilight Princess and the Galaxy duo, and maybe Brawl).

For the Wii U, it never received its Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Mario Galaxy, or Melee.

Sales wise for May 2016, none of the titles in the NPD Top 10 had an iteration available for Nintendo consoles.

Even in past generations, the "failure" GameCube managed to sell 13 million in North America. By comparison, the Wii U has just barely cracked six million in this territory.

The GBA was just as dominant hardware wise as the PS2 was during the first half of the previous decade, which kept Nintendo from irrelevancy from the casual gamer crowd. It sold over 40 million consoles in North America.

The 3DS at the end of its life will probably only reach a bit above 20 million.

This is not about Nintendo being "doomed", but rather an oldfag waxing nostalgia about what things used to be like. I remember a decade ago, that the most dominant fanboys around were Nintendo fans and Squar fanboys (especially over at GameFAQs). Now, its simply Sonyggers running amok everywhere, with some PC wojak waving his PC master race flag once in a while.

Did Nintendo not having generation defining software for the core crowd last generation (as well as this generation), is what to explain for the the gradual disappearance of Nintendo fans during the coarse of this generation?
>>
Industrywise, Nintendo became irrelevant with the N64. It returned for a bit with the Wii, but that died down a couple years later.
>>
When mobile games and PC indie games took over the casual market that Nintendo grasped on during the Wii Era.
Their shitty marketing and droughts with the Wii U didn't help
>>
File: smugrubberandgum.jpg (189 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
smugrubberandgum.jpg
189 KB, 499x499
>>340580368
The Nintendo 64 actually sold nearly as much as the SNES did in North America. That is why the N64 never felt irrelevant among American gamers.
>>
>>340580246
When people grew up and didn't care about childrens games anymore
>>
File: 1435954104024.jpg (28 KB, 549x442) Image search: [Google]
1435954104024.jpg
28 KB, 549x442
>>340580246
>When did Nintendo become irrelevant?

When you grew up.
>>
File: australiatrollclass.jpg (189 KB, 379x395) Image search: [Google]
australiatrollclass.jpg
189 KB, 379x395
>>340580503
>>340580504
Now this is shitposting.
>>
>>340580706
Did we strike a nerve, man child?
>>
>>340580389

It also doesn't help that Nintendo sort of isolated itself from it's competition and only making kiddy games. It feels like a console for kids, not gamers. Not only that, but all it seems to do since the wii is rehash existing games (mario kart, party, world, etc) over, and over, and over. No one gives a fuck about a 15th mario game.
>>
>>340580847
No, you just made a bad poast. You gave no reason about why having family software hurt them more this generation than in prior generations. Even with the GameCube generation which was much more overtly "kiddy" feel than the Wii U, sold more than twice as the Wii U.
>>
>>340581142
mad as fuck
>>
>>340580246

i know how you feel. i used to be a nintendo fanboy but I've slowly just became so jaded with the company. Nothing beats the gamecube. it had pound for pound, the best lineup imo. GOAT generation of all imo ps2, xbox, gamecube...every company bringing the heat. Most of my favorite games of all time are in that generation...RE4, MGS3, LOZ:WW, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime 1-2 etc.

Nintendo failed to adapt to what the core wanted. we didn't want mobile games and gimmicks. we wanted real 3d mario with environments to explore, metroid, an evolved star fox, etc. they didn't give us any of that. they slowly lost mindshare with the core and because the core is the loudest on the internet(which has slowly become more and moe ubiquitous) which everyone reads and uses to decide their tastes and preferences nowadays, they lost mindshare with everyone.

Nintendo has also failed to do a western RPG right, and this genre is a top 3 important genre for American gamers along with FPS and Sports(idk, btw fuck them for no improved mario tennis, whats up with these incomplete shit outing from them, wheres the meat? It's like all these nintendo games are just candy now and have no meat!)

It's sad but also easy to forget that these games were heavily influenced by nostalgia or child like psychology leading to your love of it. my imagination is my smaller and more desensitized now after consuming so many games, movies, and books; it's hard to impress me any longer. Few games that have reminded me why i loved games tho has been witcher 3 and teslagrad.

i can't explain why they've lost japan tho.....no clue. they are weird as fuck in their tastes tho.
>>
File: votefail.jpg (95 KB, 496x837) Image search: [Google]
votefail.jpg
95 KB, 496x837
>>340581331
wut
>>
>>340581142
GC's library didn't feel kiddie at all, and definitely not in the same sterile way as the WiiU. Even the Wii had a nice mix of both sides.

The Wii U has been almost nothing but pixar-tier kiddie shit.
>>
>>340581142
Wiiu has that wooly yoshi game that literally comes packaged with a plush toy, that's a lot kiddier than anything the gamecube put out imo.
>>
>>340580246
>it did not have many more acclaimed titles among the core crowd
Depends on what you mean by the Core Crowd, since that very much depends on where you look.
>>
>>340580246

God damn whats the source of that picture? Jill is perfect.
>>
>>340581458
>we wanted real 3d mario with environments to explore
The Galaxy duo was exactly that

>metroid
We did got Metroid, two games in fact. One of them did not came out well.

The problems is that they cartered to casuals and it came back to bite them in the ass this gen as Casuals moved to mobile. Now instead of focusing back on their Core, they decided to pursue casuals instead.
>>
File: makemetroidgreatagain.jpg (32 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
makemetroidgreatagain.jpg
32 KB, 480x480
>>340581458
This is the OP. Nothing wrong with a more linear 3D Mario. The Galaxy games were amazing. What I did not like though was NMMB-ization of 3D Mario with 3D Land/World, which basically took away any soul 3D Mario had (Sunshine although it was definitely a weaker platformer than 3D Land, at least had its own identity as a game, while 3D Land is pretty much a generic 3D Mario game).

I think part of the problem for Nintendo is that they could not split their resources between a console as powerful as the 3DS (for a handheld) and a HD console. It remains to be seen whether them focusing all of their attention on a single platform (the NX) will mitigate this).

Unfortunately, many series such as Metroid and F-Zero simply can't be made any more in today's market due to:
1. The budgets being higher than ever to make a high quality installment.
2. The markets for them being non-existent.

Pretty much the AA or A game market disappeared with the Wii/DS/PSP, and its on its last legs on the 3DS.
>>
>>340581648
I think you may be too young to remember, but the GameCube was literally lambasted as the "Gay Purple Lunchbox". People pointed to Mario getting a safety pack and Zelda becoming "kiddy" as further evidence of this.
>>
>>340582181
Actually when I was young I didn't participate in weird console war shit and just played video games.

I had a gamecube and ps2 that generation.
>>
>>340581896
The core is a red ocean now. And there is no room for Nintendo to move in there.

The GameCube was able to somewhat succeed by catering to families and hardcore gamers by being an impulse buy by having its console being dropped to $99 two years after its release.

>>340581869
Concept artwork for unused alternate costumes for Resident Evil Revelations.
>>
decade old hardware that was shitty when it launched means no third party games. nintendo consoles simply lack the power to run most new games without massive downgrades. its why all nintendo games look like the same soulless child garbage. what dev wants to worsen their game when they could spend less time and have it on 3 platforms?
>>
>>340581142
He didn't say it hurt them, he said people who used to buy them stopped buying them because they grew out of childrens games - which is an astute observation since I fit that anecdote to a tee.
>>
>>340582450
I "didnt participate in console war shit" either and I still remember all those things.
The Mario wearing a water squirting pack thing to me and my friends was just "gay shit" and the fact that Zelda was cartoonish didn't bother me or my best friend at the time but it did his brother and most of our other friends (we were 16+ teenagers by then)
>>
>>340581540
>GC's library didn't feel kiddie at all
>Animal Crossing
>Custom Robo
>Chibi Robo
>Wind Waker
>Pokemon Gigglesquee XD

I know Chibi deals with divorce but really you can't expect adult stuff from Nintendo unless it's a third party or Metroid Prime.
>>
>>340582580
>The core is a red ocean now. And there is no room for Nintendo to move in there.
Totally the opposite, Nintendo has its own core waiting for them. It has had since halfway through the wii and the sad part is that said core is even willing to wait for them further. Yet they do not deliver.

Don't confuse "core" with "mainstream". Mainstream is trendy and is stupidly brittle and changes all the time, often wildly.
>>
>>340583064
There are new kids to replace those who grew up you know.

I wonder if we will see Nintendo fans who wax nostalgic about the Wii much like we now see ones nostalgic about the Cube.
>>
>>340580246
Last year when they really turned off their core audience. Mainly the turnoff was at E3.
>>
>>340583321
I do think it's a tad concerning that Nintendo's current marketing strategy for wii u software seems to be entirely focused around selling toys at this point. It's bad enough that they've scared away all their third party support but now every single game they release has to have shoehorned in amiibo content from the looks of it, some of them are even built around the idea.
>>
>>340580389
>When mobile games
>>340580868
>It feels like a console for kids
Pretty much. In an interview even Masuda from Game Freak said they were competing against mobile games and also they had to make pokémon games easier because they were too difficult for kids of the current generation.
>>
>>340580246
after twilight princess
>>
File: kek.jpg (109 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
109 KB, 1366x768
>>340583924
>>
File: despondentpepe.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
despondentpepe.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>>340584428
Twilight Princess was probably the last non-Smash Bros. Nintendo game that I remember receiving insane amounts of hype.

>tfw this was a decade ago
>>
>>340582181
>Gay purple lunch box

I haven't laughed this hard in a while. Thanks anon.
>>
>>340583323
I honestly don't think there is enough core Nintendo fans around. Look at the GameCube, that was Nintendo fans, kids, and some core gamers, and that only managed to get to 13 million in NA through having an absurdly low price point, competitive specs, and software that was amongst the most critically acclaimed of the generation.

I imagine there is a lot less Nintendo core now than there was a decade ago.
>>
>>340580246
beats me man, it's pretty sad.

For me Brawl was the moment I realized there was a problem (yes I was slow). There was an enormous disconnect there.
>>
File: lime.jpg (2 MB, 2948x2020) Image search: [Google]
lime.jpg
2 MB, 2948x2020
When their peripherals turned into gimmicks. Then they became really
>>
File: 1393298912421.jpg (61 KB, 437x468) Image search: [Google]
1393298912421.jpg
61 KB, 437x468
>>340580246
it was all down hill when they made the n64
they lost practically all their 3rd party support with n64 where ps1 stole it all
Gamecube didn't help either, developers never really embraced the mini discs and core gamers never cared for the lunchbox design of the gamecube. casual gamers would also rather get the console that also doubled as a dvd player
the wii brought back casual gamers but continued to scare away core players
and the rest is history with the Wii U, no hardcore audience who want a system with graphic power, 3rd won't make for the wii u, and casuals now moved to phones
Nintendo only has their obsessive market left
>>
>>340586413
oh and they're even losing their obsessive fans too by making shit games they don't want
>>
>>340584428
Twilight Princess was the last Nintendo game I bought, refused to get a Wii because I wasn't interested in motion controls and it looked like Nintendo was marketing towards a completely different audience.
>>
What is with all the people who say N64 "failed? Literally every kid I knew had one. N64 was far more popular than PSX growing up, was it a geographical thing?
>>
>>340580246

>>
>>340580246

Heh, you need to get off your computer and get out more. I work for Crown Awards and the only trophies I see or work on are those for Nintendo related games, particularly Smash.
>>
>>340580497
the nintendo 64 only had about a dozen good games, and most of them were first party. nintendo has been going downhill since all their 3rd aprty developers jumped ship for the playstation.
>>
After the Smash Ballot.
>>
This thread reminds me of pre-Wii threads on Neogaf particular in 2006. Must be a lot of gaffers here. Meh.
>>
>>340586413
I wouldn't say N64 was the beginning of their downhill phase, that didn't truly start until near the end of the Gamecube era, around 2006. Nintendo was still going strong in the 64 era and that system actually got games and had some 3rd party support (not as much as SNES but still). Gamecube was also mostly a success as far as quality goes. They're not that comparable to Wii U.
>>
>>340586938

PSX almost sold double that of the N64 worldwide, but the N64 did slightly better in America, leading to many American believing the N64 was the more popular console.
>>
>>340587259
nah n64 was defiantly the beginning of the end
>>
>>340585879
13 million is a lot, it is enough to keep it alive, and certainly much more than the Wii U now. The PS2 was cheaper and had a DVD player which was often the break point between the two.

Nintendo also has a literal monopoly of the handheld as a whole, which is far more popular now than then. I am fairly certain nintendo's core has grown over the years, rather than diminished.
>>
>>340580246
Nintendo died for me after the end of the N64 Era.
>>
>>340587287
>PSX almost sold double that of the N64 worldwide
It sold over three times as many units
>but the N64 did slightly better in America
Nintendo didn't differentiate between American countries in their own reporting, but the N64 sold 22m units in all of the Americas, while the Playstation sold 40 million in NA.

Sources:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110524023857/http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps_e.html

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/library/historical_data/pdf/consolidated_sales_e1603.pdf
>>
>>340584901
This image summarizes most of what's wrong with Nintendo in the WiiU era.

>Amiibos, AKA content locked, pandering to the lowest common denominator consumer
>a game nobody wanted, asked, or cared about -- Nintendo is woefully out of touch with their original fanbase
>Shit-tier graphics

Favorite console is SNES and I can't believe that they can't seem to get their shit right anymore. Their brand recognition is going down the shitter
>>
>>340587548
>Nintendo also has a literal monopoly of the handheld as a whole, which is far more popular now than then.
Based on what statistic? 3ds is their worst selling handheld console so far, it won't even come close to their second worst selling (GBA).
>>
File: 1465426612343.png (93 KB, 279x209) Image search: [Google]
1465426612343.png
93 KB, 279x209
>>340580246
Nintendo didn't grow up with their fans and instead treated them and their extreme loyalty like disposable dog shit.

>dumbing down and sugar-coating the few malleable franchises they had, such as Zelda and Metroid
>babying the already "kid-friendly" franchises, such as Kirby and Mario
>censoring Japanese RPGs and the like to ridiculous levels
>just refusing to bring good Japanese games over here in general
>excessive focus on weebing good franchises up for trash otaku, best example being Fire Emblem and somewhat Zelda
>just the whole amiibo thing in general
>milking the shit out of the few popular or decent franchises they have left, such as Mario Kart and Pokemon
>treat their third parties like absolute dog shit, won't support or market for them
>didn't deliver really any of the characters requested in the Smash ballot
>extreme focus on gimmicks which only shy away gamers and third parties
>games from EA aren't ambitous, risky or polished enough, they just play it safe with trashy 2D platformers and party games and the like
>out-of-touch dinosaur management in Japan while cocky yet balless management running NoA

It's sad, I used to be a rabid Nintendo fan, but midway through the Wii's life cycle, my hope and trust in them started to dim.

Now I fully believe they deserve all of the shit they get; I'm apathetic to the point where I almost want them to fail.

The only thing keeping me latching to them is my nostalgic love for Zelda at this point, but Zelda U/NX is my last chance with them. If it's another SS, then I'm fucking done.
>>
About halfway through the Wii's life. That's about when even their first party games couldn't carry their systems.
>>
>>340586938

Sale aside, nintendo neglected alot of devs because they didnt train them or help them like sony did with they dev kits (plus Nintendo charge them a good amount of money for them)

That is why you have alot of playstation games later port to 64 once Nintendo did give a crap about third pary devs
>>
>>340580246
Nintendo became irrelevant when they started shitting on their fan base. They sold their soul with the Wii then their "new" fans moved on to mobile game trash and their core audience was fed up with their shit.

They spent the next console generation attempting to win them back by rehashing the games they liked before the Wii era and then wondered why no one wanted the same shit. Meanwhile in Japan, they're releasing waifu simulators and RPGs that get censored to shit by NoA which further alienates the US audience.
>>
>>340580246
You can thank Yumpei Yokoi for his "Lateral thinking" Bulshit that made Nintendo take the cheap route.
>>
>>340589720
I don't believe any of their censored games have bombed due to censorship. Fates did great and Xenoblade did fine.
Nobody was going to get Fatal Frame anyway. People are mad but I don't believe it's really affecting their sales.
>>
>>340583321
>Chibi deals with divorce
And coping with death No, not Gigarobo. And drug addiction. The rest is on point.
>>
>>340586938
The Nintendo 64 literally sold almost on par with SNES in America. It was not North America where the N64, but rather Japan and Europe.
>>
>>340589125
You have good points, but only the third parties part is a really good explanation to what happened to Nintendo.

If they hadn't treated their third party developers like shit, they would still be in the market.
>>
>>340590509
I would still say that it was a combination of Nintendo treating both their fans and third parties like shit, though the latter obviously had a greater impact overall.
>>
>>340580246

I have not really liked nintendo for awhile, but I
can say I am generally satisfied with the Wii U games I have bought. But I can clearly see why they are not popular.

>>340590165

It does, however, reinforce their image as the kiddy console makers, which is REALLY what's killing them.

Guess what kids actually want to play? They love edgy shit. Call of Duty and the like.
>>
>>340580246
Gamecube was absolute trash, fuck off.
>>
>>340588886
Nintendo thinks that having a monopoly in a given field is more important than making money. They couldn't care less that the 3ds is on track to being their lowest selling handheld because their only competition; the vita, is doing even worse and is essentially dead
>>
The Wii

Which is ironic since its a big money maker
>>
As a "Latín American", I'm sure as hell they aren't relevant in this region and I'm sure it's the same for European and probably some Asian countries

It's sad because Nintendo was synonymous of videogames here

The fact that they are only bringing one playable game to e3 pretty much tells you about their current situation

Personally I don't think they are "doomed" but I think think that they will slowly stop caring about videogames and focus on other business
>>
>>340589924
It has constantly worked for handheld game consoles, and it worked once for home consoles. It may have worked again for the Wii U had they been able to get software out more consistently and had they been able to secure last-gen ports like the 360/PS3 were getting during 2013 to now.
>>
>>340591076
>Wind Waker
>Twilight Princess
>Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Super Mario Galaxy
>SSB: Melee
>Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
>F-Zero GX
>>
File: 1446131950014.jpg (177 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1446131950014.jpg
177 KB, 768x768
>>340591303

Chilenfag here

Yes, back in the day n64 used to be hella expensive; atmost 40% more that PS1 while the later was dirty cheap and you could pirate all the games. When I went to France I vividly remember nothing but Sega Saturns.

Althoughthe only friend who owned a 64 invite me to play one of my favorite games ever: Conker Bad Fur Day.
>>
>>340592392
Twin Snakes is mixed amongst actual MGS fans.

RE4, REmake, the Baten Kaitos duo, and Tales of Symphonia are much more notable third-party exclusives (RE4 was exclusive for nearly a year, and ToS was exclusive outside Japan).
>>
>>340583610
In about 2020-ish, /v/ will wax nostalgic about the Wii U being the last great original console before Sony's and Valve's overwhelming successes eliminated the barrier between console and PC and dragged them both down a path of casual/weeaboo/SJW/<Insert Boogeyman Here> pandering. Or some such nonsense. Nostalgiafaggotry is a bitch.

Time heals all wounds.
>>
>>340582020
>budgets being higher than ever to make a high quality installment
This isn't true. Today's (employed) game developers are being brainwashed by the industry old notion that unless you're pushing the boundaries of technology, your game isn't going to sell. I believe that if Nintendo made a down to earth side scrolling Metroid installment, it would sell enough to justify its modest budget, and maybe well beyond that given the demand.

Zone of the Enders 3 with the production scale of Second Runner, same texture work and simplicity, probably wouldn't have put Konami in the hole if they had decided to make it that way. Capitalism and the entertainment industry are like two leaves in the maelstrom of insane audience moods. You can't bet the fucking company on a whale game, then fire everyone when it doesn't ship 12 million units. A hit is an accident, the leaves smack together, and you should see it as an accident every god damn time. Make smaller investments across a wide portfolio of games and hope one of them knocks it home.

If you don't, you end up like Hollywood and its yearly slew of 250 million dollar flops.
>>
>>340580246
>Nintendo still had many games released for their console that were amongst the most acclaimed and talked about for its generation

Yet you niggers bought a PS2 and now complain how Nintendo panders to casuals, you brought this shit upon yourselves.
>>
>>340594667
Because the n64 was shit as well with the gamecube
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.