[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Multiplayer online battle arena So you play against other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: moobs.jpg (494 KB, 3508x1050) Image search: [Google]
moobs.jpg
494 KB, 3508x1050
>Multiplayer online battle arena

So you play against other people in a place.

Doesn't this describe virtually every online game of almost any genre?
>>
Yes, ASSFAGGOTS fans are retarded
>>
LoL just needed people to stop calling their game a "dota-like" and this is what their simple minds landed on.
>>
File: CnPI6He.png (987 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
CnPI6He.png
987 KB, 1600x900
>fighting game
So, you fight?
>>
It's just a term Riot came up with because they were sick of being called a DOTA-clone
>>
>Platforming game

So you jump on platforms?

Doesn't this describe virtually every online game of almost any genre?
>>
a-rts (Action Real time strategy) was a better name to describe the genre, I have no idea when and why it got replaced with MoBA but its a fucking stupid genre name.
>>
>rpg
>role playing game
Doesn't this describe every game where you don't play as you?
>>
ASSFAGGOTS is still the best name for these games.
>>
File: wow.jpg (74 KB, 621x349) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
74 KB, 621x349
>Internet dies
>Game's genre changes
>>
>>340563939
ASSFAGGOTS is the most accurate descriptor but its not exactly going to catch on for public media or normalfags

the most important thing is you know what it is when someone says MOBA even if it is fucking stupid

>>340564872
i remember trying a couple times to use ARTS but it was surprisingly unpopular and then riot went and used MOBA instead so thats dead forever
>>
>>340564872
But ASSFAGGOTS are even less about strategy than build order garbage.

Why are RTS fans so scared of the term "tactics", anyway?
>>
>>340564872
I never got replaced by moba since the moba term came first. Before moba all the standalone stuff were called dota-clones. In wacraft 3, however, they were all referred to as AoS games after the starcraft map they were based off of, Aeon of Strife.
>>
>>340564839
No.
>>
>>340563939
man they really should have reserved that term for when advanced VR games comes out.
>>
Does anyone have a pic or a link to the original post that came up with ASSFAGGOTS
>>
>>340563939
I always thought it was a pretty poor name for a genre.

>>340564802
This anon is right Riot coined the term and its stuck for whatever reason.
>>
>RPG
>Role Playing Game

So you play as another character.

Doesn't this describe virtually every game ever made?
>>
Trying to get into these games but I loathe the standard gameplay (lanes, towers, minions, etc...)

That shit just isn't fun.
>>
>>340565629
"Hey granpa! let's play some MOBA!"
"Alright jimmy, what champion are you going to pick?"
"What? no i mean the new VR game where you get to be a gladiator and behead other people online"
"ALLAHU AKBAR"
>>
>>340566362
Then the game isn't for you?

Don't try and force yourself to enjoy it
>>
>>340566362
Do you play Overwatch?
>>
>First Person Shooter
You shoot in a first person view.
>>
>>340565910
i forget exactly what it means...
Aeon of Strife Style Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides? That doesn't sound right.
>>
>Strategy Game
>[strat-i-jee] noun
>a plan, method, or series of maneuvers or stratagems for obtaining a specific goal or result:

Doesn't every game require strategy to win?

>Real time "strategy" game
Isn't everything that adheres to the laws of physics (excluding blackholes) in real time?
>>
>>340566749
>He doesn't freeze time when he plays games

fucking casuals these days
>>
>>340566465
What does a squad based objective oriented shooter have to do with him not liking the genre that coined the term "burden of knowledge"?
>>
>>340566957
Overwatch is a MOBA.
>>
>>340567239
All games are MOBAs didn't you read the thread
>>
>>340567305
That was his point.
>>
>>340566553
That's exactly where it comes from.
The screencap where this term was coined should land right on cringe threads, because you can tell some fag was laughing hysterically to himself because he made up "ebin" term for a genre.
>>
>>340564956
Taking a role is different from playing a role
>>
>>340567378
>I don't like ASSFAGGOTS
>Do u like overwatch :^)?
>What the fuck does Overwatch have to do with assfaggots?
>They're mobas
>Every game is a moba
>THAT'S MY POINT DUMBASS

Are you fucking retarded, son?
>>
>>340568126
point proven, thanks anon
>>
>>340566361
No.
>>
>>340563939
I never understood the term RPG. Every video game with the possible exception of puzzle games like Tetris has you playing the role of a character
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.