[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Antialiasing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: antialias.gif (5 KB, 385x274) Image search: [Google]
antialias.gif
5 KB, 385x274
How important is antialiasing for you?
And which is the best one?
>>
Lower one is too blurry.
Top one is definitely better. Reminds me of Bloodborne.
>>
Why is it a problem in the first place? What causes it?
>>
>>340557503
Gee anon, I don't know. Maybe it has to do with screens being made out of square lights.
>>
font rendering my man
>>
>>340557503
the pixels are square.
>>
Post-processing AA really does nothing for me. It can blur the jaggies a little but it doesn't properly hide the staircase/shimmer effect, which is the main thing I notice about aliasing.

Real AA is nice if I can run it without affecting my framerate, but it's one of the first things I turn off if the framerate is dipping. The first thing I turn off is usually depth of field, then AA.
>>
>>340556002
temporal AA is the best in terms of quality to performance plus it eliminates flickering
Downsampling is the best and most expensive quality wise.
MSAA is great but doesn't work on clipped materials like tress or hair.

Personally I like temporal AA applied to a 2k downsample the most.
>>
>>340556002
Let me ask you a question in return: Would you like your games and movies flicker a ton thanks to geometry being un-alaised?
To answer your question: Yes, it is pretty important to me since it makes a big difference in clarity.
The best one is obviously in-engine SSAA (Downsampling).
Right after that comes MSAA and many other things you can put on top of MSAA to enhance it.
At the rock botton are all the disgustingly blurry post-process-AA solutions.
And yes, i include TXAA torwards the last, even tho it's a mix of MSAA and FXAA.
>>
>>340558162
why?
>>
>>340557653
Why didn't they just make triangle lights.
>>
>>340558221
it's just part of the technology, really.
i think they can't make triangles or circles on LCDs

older crts had cirgular pixels, tho
>>
>>340556002
Pretty important, i prefer downsampling when my pc can handle it
>>
>>340558195
>temporal AA
enjoy your fucking frame blending
temporal AA is the worst garbage ever
>>
smaa + 2-4x msaa is god tier for the performance cost.
>>
>>340558321
Ask those who make them.
I'm pretty sure pixels are not square because they want to. Most are not even perfect squares
>>
>>340558451
well, everything is postprocessed these days, so temporal aa is required.
>>
>>340556002
>How important is antialiasing for you?
very

>And which is the best one?
ssaa and sgssaa for transparent assets of course but that the most 'expenesive' to use. msaa is good and smaa in a pinch. fxaa is pure fucking trash. dsr with the just right smoothness is pretty nice to, that is of course if the game has a scalable ui.
>>
>>340558718
no if I'm going to use post processed AA, I can use whatever in-engine FXAA they have going on or if that fails then just inject some SMAA

TXAA is so bad holy shit
>>
>>340558451
The quality is amazing for the performance hit.
>>
>>340556002
turning off anti-aliasing almost always fixes every single problem my computer has with a game, so,

the blockier the better.
>>
>>340558867
i actually like fxaa
>>
>>340558867
>fxaa better than TA

fucking hell m8
>>
File: 1461915393381.png (16 KB, 300x820) Image search: [Google]
1461915393381.png
16 KB, 300x820
>>340556002
I don't care either way. I never notice the difference.
>>
temporal is for low fps games to prevent 'object jumping'

i bet you can guess why this method was even invented in the first place....
>>
>>340558973
Yes FXAA is actually better because guess what, it doesn't cause fucking FRAME BLENDING.
>>
>>340559154
object jumping? what?

>>340559169
whats frame blending?
>>
>>340558162
>>340557653
aliasing has nothing to do with the shape or perceived shape of the pixel. If you have triangular pixels you'll just end up with angular steps instead of perpendicular steps

Aliasing is a result of having a pixel density low enough that our eyes can perceive individual pixels when some of those pixels have distinct contrast
>>
>>340559345
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=frame+blending
>>
>>340559463
go to hell.
>>
>>340559607
>I'm a dumb retard who can't take two seconds to look at a picture
ok kiddo
>>
FXAA to blur out the edges
Lumasharpen to make textures not look like mud

for 0 cost in performance it's still my go-to choice
>>
>>340556002
Anti-aliasing is only good with high graphics options, if you are playing on low graphics due to shitty machine is just a pain in the eyes to look at.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.