[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Holy shit, this game So how would you react if you found out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 17
File: SOMA-Title.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SOMA-Title.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1080
Holy shit, this game

So how would you react if you found out that you're only a copy of your brain instead of the actual you?
>>
Spoiler faggot.

/Thread

Try again.
>>
I think I could cope pretty well. But I wouldn't want to destroy the original me. That makes absolutely no sense. You are a new person, it would just be murder of another person, not some deep "muh continuation of the timeline" nonsense.
>>
>>340527548
Not much of a spoiler, we had it figured out from the trailer before the game even launched. Hell, you learn pretty early into the game. I was expecting that to be the plot twist at the end before it came out.
>>
Honestly wouldn't give a shit it wouldn't actually change anything you'd still be you
>>
I can bro out with my other me and one can shit post on /v/ and the other can play vidya.

Who am I kidding we'd both be shit posting
>>
Curse my previous incarnation for putting me into this shitty life.
>>
fuck you
>>
So, /v/, would you kill yourself right as you upload your brain? Or would you be content with just knowing that your brain will continue to exist after you die normally?
>>
Disassociate myself with the original and start building up an identity of my own
>>
>>340527186
Wouldn't give a damn. The thought pattern is the same, which means it's still me. Would love to meet my "original" too; I suspect we would get along wonderfully.
>>
>>340527186
>>340528457

I think the real question is, if you guys jerked eachother off, is it gay?
>>
>>340528581
Yes, because it's 2 separate consciousnesses.
>>
>>340527186
>We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

>Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)

If I'm a copy it makes no difference. I could have always been a copy and never known.
I guess if there were multiple, physical versions of myself we'd do our best to work together, but because they've also copied my flaws there's a good chance we'd all try to murder each other out of paranoia.
If a robot body was in the equation, whoever was inside that would probably be in charge, while also doing the heavy lifting.
>>340528145
It'd be a waste of a good brain to kill yourself.
You have to remember that the people doing that were pretty desperate as well. A living person was going to be a drain on their systems.
>>340528581
It's not gay, it's masturbation.
>>
>>340527186
a bad , faulty copy on top of that, plus they crammed your cortex cpu and optical sensors into the remains of the skull of a hot dead chick, being held together by a diving suit and structure gel.

https://youtu.be/2IIF16zF3F4?t=2m10s

i would shlick my cunt and fondle my tits all day long
>>
How is this game?

Are there enemies to battle or it's a walking-exploration sim?
>>
>>340529491
Enemies to occasionally avoid.
>>
>>340529572
Are there confrontations or simply running?
>>
>>340527186
>So how would you react if you found out that you're only a copy of your brain instead of the actual you?
Probably a lot like Simon- strangely uncomfortable at first but I would get used to it.

The fact that all me memories up to a point would be basically fabricated is pretty shitty though.

>>340528145
>So, /v/, would you kill yourself right as you upload your brain?
Never. The idea of "continuity" is dumbfuck retarded. Just because the scan is my perfect copy (up to a point) doesn't mean we are connected in any way- we are still 2 totally separate entities.

>Or would you be content with just knowing that your brain will continue to exist after you die normally?
I won't give a fuck about anything once I die and I'm bound to die at one pointn so I might as well make a copy of myself at least.

I think what a few characters in the game refer to as "losing the coin toss" is actually a pretty interesting concept- that is, you don't really know if you are the original or a copy before you scan your brain.
>>
File: BAA05_61_Desty_Nova.jpg (31 KB, 265x336) Image search: [Google]
BAA05_61_Desty_Nova.jpg
31 KB, 265x336
Study karma and eat flan.
>>
>>340529759
mostly hiding and trying to not make any noises.
>>
>>340529491
All around okay game.

A lot of walking, with a bunch of monsters thrown in from time to time. It's got a pretty good story, but if you're looking for a game with more gameplay than story, you might be quite disappointed.
>>
>>340530084
so a walking sim
>>
>>340530098

I'm not deterred by story driven games. Just wondering how much gameplay is taken into account.

Sounds like it's a walking sim so far.
>>
File: pmYIE.jpg (37 KB, 432x500) Image search: [Google]
pmYIE.jpg
37 KB, 432x500
>>340528676
>TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED
>>
>>340530098
the zaibatsu bois got so lost it was cringy so dont explore too much
>>
>>340530128
Pretty much.
>>
>>340529759
Running and hiding.
It's like every other Frictional Games game minus Penumbra: Overture/Requiem.
I'd still recommend it but I've played all their other games and enjoyed em, so I'm biased.
>>340530128
Dear Esther is a walking sim.
If your progress was threatened by seagulls in Dear Esther, then you might have a comparison.
If you're going to be like that then don't bother.

There are some puzzle elements, it should be pointed out.
>>
>>340530206
>several escape sequences
>several stealth situations
>various puzzle solving
>some monsters are sound based, some are sight
>lots of exploration

Its pretty gud, roughly the same amount of gameplay as Amnesia I guess.
>>
>>340530206
Pretty much is. I liked it, but if walking Sims don't do it for you, I'd avoid this one like the plague, friend.
>>
Simon is an awesome flawed character and a step forward for characterization in a medium where the protagonist is almost always portrayed as right.

Prove me wrong
>>
>>340530128
It's essentially Amnesia Dark Descent without lantern and the trauma meter thing. Made by same people.
>>
>>340527186
Horny
>>
>>340530431

>friend

I enjoy my walking sims with puzzle elements. I did go through Mind Path to Thalamus and Fract OSC happily.
>>
>>340530476
Simon doesnt exist anon, you play as simulation of simon

the game is simulation of simulation of simon
>>
>>340530531

So they only know how to make these type of games?
>>
I'd find the original me and literally fuck myself.
>>
>>340530227
I still haven't finished that series because I couldn't take them walking in the complete opposite direction for 30 minutes when it's clear where they should be going
>>
>>340530128
Yes, don't let these shills make you believe anything different.
>>
>>340530595

if it's a simulation, why is he placed into a horror simulation?
>>
The ark sequence after what should have been the actual ending kind of ruined it for me.

Stellar game, though.
>>
>>340530687
They're not bad so why make something else?
>>
File: 1438958794357.jpg (130 KB, 960x849) Image search: [Google]
1438958794357.jpg
130 KB, 960x849
>>340530476
>Every SOMA thread devolves into shitflinging over Simon's character or it 404s in under 100 posts
I live for this.
I totally agree, though.
It's kind of odd how we went from a great, flawed character like Phillip in Penumbra to dull Daniel then back to Simon.
I hope it's not a cycle or anything.
>>340530745
But anon, this is a shillmulation. We're merely simulations of shills.
>>
The ARG was better than the actual game
>>
>>340530789
Nah, we needed *some* kind of happy ending. It's esoteric as balls, but cutting the game off as the credits roll would've been soul crushing
>>
>>340530789
Yeah the Ark scene felt a little shoehorned. Was it after credits or before? I can't remember. After credits would be better for that kind of scene.
>>
>>340530826

Push limits. They're clearly fantastic at creating environments and atmosphere. would be great to do an action adventure horror game in those environments. Something akin to an actially scary Dead Space or Silent Hill or Resident Evil
>>
>>340527186
ARK was a pretty retarded way to "save humanity" honestly.

Yeah it will ensure that 2 humans beings are going to exist for few thousands of years before the ARK decomposes (at the very best, that is if it doesn't malfunction/get hit by something/etc.)

But it provides literally zero posiibility for humanity to sustain itself- Cath/Simon are literally trapped, there is no way for them to prolong the existance of humanity in any way.

WAU and had a far better idea even if it didn't quite understand what being human means. All those mockingbirds could be perfected to be like Simon and go on the surface one day. That way they could actully rebuild a civilization and maybe save the remnants of humanity (because it's not likely that literally every single human being on Earth outside PATHOS died).
>>
>>340527186

Honestly I wouldn't care that much. Sure maybe my personality may not be original but the experiences I've had are.

Even worst case scenario who fucking cares go live life stop crying about being a clone baby.
>>
>>340531046
Save? More like preserve humanity. Like a museum exhibit for future civilizations.
>>
>>340530935
My problem with it isn't that it was "esoteric", it's that being left behind for a new copy to live on was a perfect end to the story to me, after what you did to the original copy of you half-way through the game.
>>
>>340528581
>ywn have your consciousness copied and inserted into a female body for a literally perfect wife
maybe some day
>>
>>340531143
I'm thinking more of an interactive tombstone for humanity.
>>
>>340530476
Being braindead idiot is the worst possible character flaw, as it just makes it seem that the developers have him be stupid so they have to explain the concepts of the game multiple times so stupid players would get it.
>>
>>340531046
The ark's purpose wasn't to save humanity, its purpose was to not have all traces of it wiped out.
>>
>>340530712
perfectly calibrated tv to blame for that.
>>
>>340530687
Overture had (awful) combat and Requiem was purely a puzzle game.
So yes.
>>340531046
>2
Everyone else was on-board long before Catherine and Simon were, numb nuts. Catherine was just waiting there for Simon.
The WAU wasn't sustainable either, had maybe a couple of decades before power failure.
>>
For those who liked the philosophical aspect of soma you should try the talos principle.
>>
>>340527186
I'd fine myself and suck my own dick.
>>
>>340531046
Uh Anon pretty sure there's a lot more people on the ARK than Simon and Cath

Also, I'd recommend The Swapper if you liked this. And Talos Principle if you want more existentialism and AIs.

They really should've cut the shitty "hide from the spoopy monster or chromatic abberation goes insane" sequences from SOMA and put in some challenging puzzles.
>>
>>340531042
I've never liked fighting in horror games. It feels less realistic, like in real life, if you saw a guy with a giant butter knife and a triangle head, you wouldn't try to fight it, you'd run away. Just an example. I do agree they could try something new and see how they could do, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary.
>>
File: _20150705_172110.jpg (10 KB, 173x196) Image search: [Google]
_20150705_172110.jpg
10 KB, 173x196
>>340530687
>They have made just this type of game with one using combat and therefore this is the only type of game they can pull off.

Maybe, more than likely, but they have not tried anything different really. They are just good, if not okay, at what they are doing now and realize this and have stuck with this path.
>>
>>340531420
>The WAU wasn't sustainable either, had maybe a couple of decades before power failure.
It's creations were though, at least Simon was.

Together with Catherine they take all those corpses/barely living humans, put the in the suits, force cortex chips through their skulls and make more of Simon-tier mockingbrids.
>>
>Expect deep sea spookems
>Get audio log 2 deep 4 you physiological oh wait ur a robutt avoid the walking life drain sludge dido
Awful game
>>
>>340531695
DIdn't know I owned Talos. Installing now.

The Swapper was a fantastic little game.

Wil ltry Soma after Talos
>>
>>340531669
>I'd fine myself
Are you a cop?
>>
>>340527186
Whatever lets me live forever is fine by me. I don't care if I'm a head in a jar, as long as I'm alive and can exist, I'm happy.
>>
>>340530687
>>340531850
I think they could be pretty good at making RPGs.

Their writing is good enough and HPL Engine with its interactions with objects is very immersive.
>>
>>340532071
The Swapper writer worked on Talos along with some other guy just so you know
>>
File: 2015-10-13_00006.jpg (86 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-13_00006.jpg
86 KB, 1920x1080
>>340531886
Which would either get eaten by animals, run out of battery, run out of materials to repair themselves, get crushed by water pressure or spend the rest of eternity either in depressing oceans or land which is permanently on fire.
It's just not feasible, I'm afraid. The WAU wasn't intelligent or supplied well enough to do anything for humanity in the long term.
>>340532058
To be fair, the underwater spookems when they were there were pretty good.
>Oh look, a light out there, at the bottom of the ocean, better run straight at it.
Even looking at screenshots ot it fucks me up.
>>
>>340527186

I wouldn't care, because that is basically what every cell in your body already is.
>>
Fully recommend the works of Peter Watts if you like SOMA's concepts and atmosphere. Especially the novel Starfish, which seems to be what plenty of stuff from SOMA originates from.

Also: that ending of SOMA. Science fiction done well, for once.
>>
>>340532551
glad I got spoiled about the angler fish before playing. Im a very sensitive person when it comes to horror in games.
Stuck forever on ayylien isolation medbay because xeno is too scary
>>
>>340532551
I fucking got lost in the underwater storm bullshit for like an hour and it was the most intense fear I have ever experienced in a video game.
That alone made the game worth it, and I absolutely adore wanky existentialism bullshit.
>>
>>340532551
>Which would either get eaten by animals, run out of battery, run out of materials to repair themselves, get crushed by water pressure or spend the rest of eternity either in depressing oceans or land which is permanently on fire.
Still it would be a better shot at rebuilding civilization given that ARK is in no way sustainable.

also
>land which is permanently on fire
Only a few parts of it and there is no such thing as "permanently". All life died because atmosphere is full of dust and blocks the sun out.

And I don't think PATHOS was the only place where humans were able to survive-what about other research facilities, submarines, etc.?
>>
>>340527186
I'm assuming this is a general statement about everyone in the game since I still haven't finished it but in that reality? Fuck man, depressed? I don't know
>>
>>340527186
Initial shock and then a great sense of relief and pride because I can now live forever.
>>
>>340534359
>I can now live forever
Hardly, you can just make a buch of near-perfect copies of yourself since consciousness in non-transferable.
>>
>>340534359
>I can now live forever.
Nice one.
A copy of you can live forever.
>>
>>340530476
I hated Simon, he was borderline retarded.

Why is it that you fags consider flawed characters as great characters? Especially when the flaw is being braindead
>>
File: 1463729642613.png (2 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1463729642613.png
2 MB, 900x900
I would kill the other versions of me. Then, I'm the only "me" in existence. The prime "me." I'm all that matters.

There can only be one, assholes.
>>
>>340533942
>ARK is in no way sustainable.
While likely true, the environmental threats that ruin any chance with the WAU aren't there for the ARK. I also want to believe they have a robot arm on that satellite, or something.
>there is no such thing as "permanently"
Well I was gonna add 'for some reason' because it struck me as odd for some reason that you could see all that fire from space, but yes, you're right.
>what about other research facilities, submarines, etc.?
While it's a possibility, details early in the game (namely that communications tower where you realise you are the demons) would suggest that all the other stations failed for whatever reason.

Regardless, it was a choice where they had to make the best of THE worst situation, and I'm of the opinion there's more hope out in space than at the bottom of the ocean.
>>340534359
t. Doppelganger
>>340534586
Because flaws allow more room for depth and development, and if neither of those things happen, maybe it's interesting to explore how badly someone can fuck up?
You can certainly do retarded main characters wrong (Fucking Hisao), but SOMA did it pretty well.
>>
>>340534586
In what was he braindead?

If anything he was confilceted and sometimes delusional. Both perfectly acceptable for a comic shop employee who woke up in underwater research facility after the end of the world as a brain scan uploaded into diving suit.
>>
File: 1457602341252.png (277 KB, 861x721) Image search: [Google]
1457602341252.png
277 KB, 861x721
>>340527186
pretty much like i react every morning.
Brush your teeth, wash your face and move on.

Oh, also, read a book you uneducated faggot. If it wasn't for you, those shitty devs wouldn't be praised for making babbies first sci-fi story.
>>
There are already two of you to begin with. The human brain is made up of two sides, both of which have their own consciousness within them. When those who suffered from epilepsy went under surgery and had the nerves that link both sides of the brain to one another, they soon found that their life took on a strange route.

If you suffer from split-mind, the two sides of your brain can no longer communicate. One side has the ability to use speech while the other is not and thus rendered mute. In a normal human being's life, the silent side of the brain learns it must cooperate with the speaking side. Split-minds cannot do this. Victims suffer from the severed parts of the brain arguing with the other when it comes to making choices on what to eat or where to go. Someone with split-mind can be asked to pick a coloured block that represents their favourite colour, only to find each of their hands reaches for different blocks.

There are already two of you, one just can't speak. Search it up, it's super interesting.
>>
>>340534529
Kinda sucks that way. Your other "you" is going to live forever while you rot away.
Mind copying is some shit though.
>>
>>340534586
You do know that it is explained in the story why he's retarded right? He's nota perfect copy, he's literally the one of the first copies ever. They explain that he's simple enough that anyone who actually knows what they're doing wouldn't waste their time testing with him and they keep him for new people.
>>
>>340534503
>>340534529
But that's your mind and consciousness is within that, right? I haven't finished the game yet
>>
>>340534830
I'm not an expert on neurology or anything and the first time Cath explained what he was and how the transfer worked I understood the implications. Simon had this explained to him three fucking times and he still didn't understand.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWHVkMIP1b8

I'm still mad they cut the original 'brains in a jar' plot
>>
>>340534997
wow you watch vsauce too huh?
or was it cgpgrey
>>
>>340535283
how would your consciousness move over into a copy of yourself?
>>
>>340535287
>Simon had this explained to him three fucking times and he still didn't understand
I think he did understand, but didn't want to accept reality and kept being delusional.

This is exactly what most people in really shitty situations do, like drug addicts etc.
>>
>>340534586
>>340535287
I mean the guy had literal brain damage, so
Like that was the only reason he was in the future in the first place, to get his brain damage scanned
>>
>>340535467
Okay I see what you mean. That copy would probably still have a conscious though.
>>
>>340535287
>>340535490
he probably expected to wake up as the other simon because that was his experience every other time it happened. as far as he knows, he got into a machine and swapped bodies 3 times. its like in that movie the prestige where wolverine keeps doing the trick here he kills his original self, because the one that survives never experiences drowning.
>>
>>340535283
>But that's your mind and consciousness is within that, right?
No, a copy.

It's really easy to understand since brain scans allow multiples copies of yourself to exist at the same time.

If there is multiple "you" at the same time, it must mean they are not really "you". Just near perfect copies with almost exact same qualities, but all of them are still separate entities.
>>
>>340534586
Simon was weird to me. For the first half of the game he sounded like he didn't give a fuck about anything, then in the second half he overeacts every time someone says something.

Also Cath's a dumb bitch that never tried to be any kind of human, even if she wasn't physically human anymore.
>>
>>340535667
yeah, it's another person. but the point is it's not you, so you're not the one living forever.
>>
>>340535675
Yeah.

As one of the in-game characters said, he lost the coin toss and got really frustrated.
>>
>>340535742
>Also Cath's a dumb bitch that never tried to be any kind of human, even if she wasn't physically human anymore
She was anti-social and emotionally numb. She even says she never enjoyed being a human all that much and feels much more lively as a robot.
>>
>>340533079
>Fully recommend the works of Peter Watts if you like SOMA's concepts and atmosphere. Especially the novel Starfish
Mah nigga, was thinking about recommending that.
I'd like to note that the entire Rifters trilogy (Starfish, Maelstrom, Behemoth) is free from his own site.
http://www.rifters.com/real/STARFISH.htm
http://www.rifters.com/real/MAELSTROM.htm
http://www.rifters.com/real/Behemoth.htm
You can read it like that or download it as a PDF and shit.

He was also involved in vidya a bit, mostly Crysis 2. Was cited as inspiration by creative director of Bioshock 2.

His other work is okay too, of which Blindsight is free
http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm
It's a Space Odyssey kind of thing from the point of view of an autistic guy with literally half his brain missing. There's also ayy lmaos, space vampires, transhumans and AIs in it.
>>
>>340535772
How would you even know about it if you weren't one of the copies with your own conscious though? Unless it happened before you died
>>
>>340535054
>>340535598
I would accept that as plausible if he showed problems understanding other stuff but he seemed to get everything else except this specific point.

>>340535490
>>340535675
This is probably the best explanation and is probably what Frictional intended, but he still comes off as retarded to me
>>
So what other games have this cool atmosphere soma has? I got really involved in the game and it was great
>>
This was sadly the best horror game made since Silent Hill 2.

And it's still a linear and pretentious piece of shit. But the concept is solid and while it doesn't fucking matter it's fun to think about while going through the game.
>>
>>340536207
you mean how would you know if you were copied? the only way you'd know is if someone told you it happened. in the game, the original person who gets scanned has no idea he had his brain gets copied and uploaded into another body, he just lives out the rest of his life normally. then the copy slowly figured out what happened on his own.
>>
>>340536269
>he still comes off as retarded to me
He is, he's a shitty copy of a braindamaged Canadian.
>>
>>340536269
>he still comes off as retarded to me
He's just a comic shop employee so it's no wonder the whole situation might be a bit too much for him.
>>
File: fish.png (413 KB, 1867x962) Image search: [Google]
fish.png
413 KB, 1867x962
>>340532551
Are you me?
I literally took the exact same screenshot with the exact same filename while playing through the game.
>>
Elizabeth being a Chinese blue-eyed brunette was harder for me to process than the whole "brain in a can" thing.
>>
>>340536624
You probably posted it here before and he saved it, dingus
>>
>>340536747
But if you save 4chan images doesn't it usually save them in the format of some number like "1429592059202" or something?
>>
>>340535742
Read her files. She was anti-social, in other logs people described her as weird and arrogant, etc...

When asked she mentions she doesn't miss being human much because she was so miserable at it. Hell, she lacked persuasion skills so much she couldn't even convince team members to preserve their themselves. Instead they turned on and killed her as she was trying to load the ARK).
>>
>>340536845
Depends what browser plugins you use and/or how autistic you are about naming pictures.
>>
>>340536269
>but he still comes off as retarded to me
Because he is
Literally
Retarded
The brain is a complicated thing, man. Sometimes the fuck ups that happen to it can be weirdly specific.
Kinda like this conversation, even.
>>340536624
Well I did find it on the internet.
Congrats, it's on the official SOMA wiki page for the fish.
>>340536669
It's a darn shame about her ingame model. She was pretty attractive until you ran into her at the end.
>>
For me 2nd best game of 2015.
Brains are less unique than people think, its not earth shattering concept to copy the information to another computer, since we're transferring the data to a computer you might as well edit it to not care that this particular copy isnt going to last forever.
>>
>>340536932
Figures.
>>340537009
Yeah, I uploaded it there after finishing the game since I quite enjoyed the part where they did the bait & switch with the lantern/anglerfish.
>>
>>340527548
Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>340537163
Sorry I'm not an exact copy of your brain, with a copy of your screenshots, lurking in a digital space, anon.
:^)

Honestly I'm just spooking myself thinking about that. Shit.
>>
>>340527186
the protag in this was so fucking retarded, but I guess that has to be expected from a canadian

>i'm going to copy your consciousness over into that robot
>ok
>2hrs later
>OMG I'M ONLY A COPY WY DIDNT U TELL ME
>>
Did you kill your old self before diving into the trench?
I did.

I wish there were more puzzles in the game, the ones that were in were pretty good.
>>
>>340528457
Thought pattern is identical at the moment of duplication, but it'd be impossible to say whether it couldn't possibly change as the years went by.

If you and your copy experienced completely different ordeals, in a matter of just years, the behavior and thought pattern of your duplicate could be so alien to your own that it'd basically be a completely different person.

Continuity is the only thing that matters, even if you're no longer the person you were before, as long as your consciousness is situated right there in your skull and you're continuous, you can still call yourself you, but the same doesn't go for a duplicate of you that suddenly changes character, because while -you- have two attachments to yourself which is continuity (consciousness) and cognition (behavior), your duplicate only has one which is cognition (behavior), if that changes, you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>340537491
It would've been pretty cruel to not do the deed.
>>
>>340536067
This guy. Exactly!

I have to confess I haven't read Maelstrom and Behemoth yet though. How do they hold up compared to Starfish?
>>
>>340527702
>mfw the actual plot twist is that the player character is too retarded to accept he's not who he thinks he is
>>
>>340530326
>>340530427
>>340530594
>>340531695
>>340537491
Soma had puzzles?
>>
File: 730_screenshots_2012-10-08_00001.jpg (521 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
730_screenshots_2012-10-08_00001.jpg
521 KB, 1920x1080
>>340536624
Funny, i took this screenshot like 4 years ago, and i get a weird feeling every time its used as a reaction image.
>>
>>340532551
>>340536624
>>340537852
All me
>>
>>340537669
I agree.
Imagine the first Simon waking up with the thing beating on the door all alone, in a locked room. Forever

>>340537847
A few, mostly load balancing to get electricity to flow.
One you hand to bonce light around to open a robot.
I wish the game had focused more on that than the monsters. The one was just throw things in the opposite direction you wanted to go.
>>
>>340535368
Everyone that takes Psych 101 knows what happens when you sever the corpus callosum, my dude.
>>
File: [shitposting squidbot noises].jpg (52 KB, 736x588) Image search: [Google]
[shitposting squidbot noises].jpg
52 KB, 736x588
>>340527186
I'd just keep making more copies of myself and hopefully reclaim the surface with whatever technology remains in the base. Rename earth to shitpostia and transmit bane memes into space endlessly. I'd be pretty accepting of being a robutt so hopefully i could fully move about in a non-humanoid form without my mind kekking
>>
>>340537847
I said I wished it had challenging puzzles and no retarded hide and seek sequences
>>
>>340538273
Majority of the enemies were blind, though
>>
>>340536067
>>340536067
>>340536067
>>340536067
This guy. Exactly!

I have to confess I haven't read Maelstrom and Behemoth yet though. How do they hold up compared to Starfish?
>>
>>340537756
>>340538839
Which one of you is real
>>
>>340537756
>>340538839
I read them years ago so my memory is a bit hazy on that, but they're okay, worth reading at least once IMO. The story eventually moves from underwater to the surface, shit escalates globally, a crazy virus kind of thing appears (not really a virus but threatens all life on Earth) and there's a couple of insane plot twists. That latter part is kind of like Eden: It's an Endless World manga, if you ever read that (also worth reading)

Fucking 4chan, stop giving me connection errors and post this shit already
>>
>>340537453
A lot of people think that science can perform magic like that though. He's not so much retarded as he's representative of the majority of people.
>>
>>340527186
>o how would you react if you found out that you're only a copy of your brain instead of the actual you?
why even bother to copy the brain of someone as pathetic as myself?
>>
>>340539791
We have to document just how pathetic you are for future generations to learn from.
The example of what not to be.
>>
>>340537009
Wait, we get a good luck at Catherine in the end? I barely even saw her turn around in the simulation before it faded away.
>>
>>340537756
>>340538839
>>340539019
Which one of you is real
>>
>>340539539
Yeah, I feel very hesitant about stuff moving above seas... That ambience of Starfish, everything literally pressing on the characters' shoulders, that's what made it so awesome. Same goes for SOMA. Not too sure how that would work out in Maelstrom. Anyway, I'll first reread Starfish because I need that deep ocean-fix.

Connection errors abound, fuck this.
>>
>>340539928
Shut up, Glados.
Yeah, I capitalized your acronym-name wrong. Fuck are you going to do about it?
>>
Kill myself
>>
>>340540440
My nose was pressed up against the screen while playing that part, so yeah.
>>
>>340527186
I've taken this possibility into consideration after playing this and now if it ever happens myself and my copies will work together to improve ourselves and become the next step in evolution
>>
>>340527186
WAU was only trying to help

>you will never be reborn as an immortal biomechanoid because a transgender cyborg and his pocket bitch wanted to ride their Vancouver simulator into space

And from what I've read Friction didn't even expect people to sympathize with WAU's intentions.
>>
What does that mean? You're still the actual you
>>
Great game.

The Abyss part was horrifying and I loved it.

I also enjoyed the last few minutes of people conversations you could listen to.

Like that one guy who said fuck it and just took off his helmet like a Boss.
>>
>>340542196
Not really since all your memories up to certain point are fabricated.
>>
File: 1391822381413.jpg (103 KB, 765x1024) Image search: [Google]
1391822381413.jpg
103 KB, 765x1024
>>340527186
I really don't know... I guess I''d be okay with it and play some vidya with my oringal self.
I wonder what pic related would do in this situation.
>>
I think what's really fucked up about the game is that you wake from a sunny day in a dark shelter, the last remain of humanity(by humanity I mean human conscience), at the bottom of the sea. It's really weird to think about it and depressing, but It seems like it doesn't affect the protagonist as much as I would have. So it's not that you wake as a copy of your brain, but when you you wake up as copy of your brain. His female friend seemed fine with the situation as far as I remember.
>>
>>340532551
Would you believe I guessed what it was and avoided it on my first playthrough?

It was too perfect: you've been following lights for the last 10 minutes, you've been separated from them for the last 2 minutes, just enough time to forget exaclt what the lights looked like.

And you're on the abyssal plain, an environment synonymous with the angler fish, if they're going to play that card it'll be here and now. It was the biggest ''waaaaait a second'' moment.
>>
File: 1462154254654.jpg (70 KB, 680x895) Image search: [Google]
1462154254654.jpg
70 KB, 680x895
woman needs to learn to cut and paste
i could still hear my copy talking
>>
>>340527186
Same way I react to everything these days. Fap.

Seriously though, what's the big deal? You're a copy of yourself. Whoopdie doo~ Go to work, earn cash, fuck bitches, play vidya. There's two of me now. Sounds fucking awesome to me.
>>
>>340530761

existence is a horror simulation
>>
>>340542012
So you say until it actually happens and your copies experience existential crises anyway and go crazy!

No amount of reason can defy that kind of shit. Well, it's probably possible but it's easier said than done.
>>
>>340535360
>brains in a jar
not a really fresh concept
>>
File: 2015-11-13_00005.jpg (236 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-13_00005.jpg
236 KB, 1920x1080
>>340527186
I think I'd be depressed and feel empty inside
You died, but you can look at it from the outside of the situation
>>
>>340544195
the fact is that we are from our point of view real, therefore we should all work together, if one of us goes berserk we just "kill" it and bam
>>
>>340527186
Battle Angel alita had this plot line, it's a good mango and you should read it
>>
>>340527186
I would feel intense pity for my original self if he was dead. But if we were both alive at the same time, I would fuck him.
>>
>>340527186
I'd feel free of the responsibilities and hindrances of my old life and take a chance at doing something interesting with my life.

After all, if the original me is still out there, he can keep doing me. My loved ones won't be sad at my absence, that life will still exist. I'd basically have a blank check to go do something stupid.
Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.