[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is that "Dark Souls 2 is horrible" just a meme or is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (20 KB, 250x360) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
20 KB, 250x360
Is that "Dark Souls 2 is horrible" just a meme or is the game actually bad?
I have nothing to play and thought about buying it.
>>
>>340512951
it's shit don't bother
>>
>>340512951
It's not horrible, it's just not very good. Coming off of Dark Souls 1, people had high expectations they didn't fulfill so people judge it more harshly than it (sometimes) deserves. That said, they made a lot of mistakes, and Scholar of the First Sin helped, but the game as a whole is still the weakest entry into the series.
>>
It's great. 1st areas can be a bit bland, 2nd half of the game is way better though.
>>
>>340513071
erm, can you recommend me something to play then, while we're at it?
>>
Lots of fun if you're not completely autistic
>>
>>340512951
While Dark Souls 2 is a decent game, it is definitely one the weakest of the series, and it was obviously rushed as the level design is lazy, and several of the bosses are forgettable.

The combat is also floaty, hitboxes are oftentimes inaccurate, invaders are bullshit with infinite stamina, invaders and ordinary enemies can spin on a dime to face the player which looks both hilarious and retarded.

The game has a huge amount of problems, but it's still a Souls game, so you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed Dark Souls 1/3.

The "Apologize" meme comes from a bunch of buttblasted losers who realized that their beloved sequel was rushed, ugly, and very flawed.
>>
File: mwJUrto.jpg (244 KB, 1264x707) Image search: [Google]
mwJUrto.jpg
244 KB, 1264x707
>>340512951
It's a good Souls game. It's just not the hardest.

Well until you get to the DLC. Then it gets challenging. It also seems to be the least inspired of the three in my opinion. But that doesn't stop it from being enjoyable.

If you're going to get it on PC its WAY better optimized than 1.
>>
>>340513186
I don't know what you like, so not really. As for me, I reinstalled Dark Messiah for the 15th time yesterday, I can recommend that
>>
>>340512951
I enjoyed it more than the first game. Plenty of content and mechanics. No quality drop off point.

Opinions will vary from "literally ruined my life" to "s'okay".

Vanilla DaS3, anyway. SOTFS has prettier lighting but the new enemy placements are fucking retarded and actively make a few areas much worse. Iron Keep was one of my favourite levels in the original, to put that in perspective.
>>
File: 1465458292309.jpg (441 KB, 1481x1077) Image search: [Google]
1465458292309.jpg
441 KB, 1481x1077
what game is this
>>
File: whoisthis.png (463 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
whoisthis.png
463 KB, 512x512
What's his name, /v/?
>>
>>340513528
Stiches
>>
>>340513528
Bum-Kicky Cleric H8er
>>
>>340513306
Dark souls isnt about being hard and the difficulty of 2 is the least if its concerns. The level, world and sound design are all incredibly lacking compared to the other 5 games.

Demons souls had a more "linear" progression but the levels themselves were amazingly designed. Das1 did wonderful things to disguise and circumvent the feeling of backtracking, and then das2 just has straight lines
>>
>>340513528
Rusty Snatches
>>
It's the worst of the souls games but it's an okay game.
With all the dlcs you can get at least 100hours with it.
I'd say buy it.
>>
>>340513414
Black desert
>>
combat is kinda sluggish and floaty, but build variety is crazy

aside from hitbox quirks and cheap enemies, there is some replay value if you go into it knowing it doesn't quite match up to its predecessor

if you can get it cheap, then it's worth a play through solid 7.8/10
>>
>>340513696
It's long, but not that long I mean jesus.

Still I'd say it has roughly double the amount of content of the next Souls games. Hell of an adventure.
>>
>>340513528
Band-aid
>>
>>340513798
If you're going completionist way, it's around that.
>>
>>340514368
Well yeah, if only because of the amount of grinding for rare stupid drops fully completing the game requires.
>>
>>340513118
DaS3 is now the weakest in the series, we'll see if the DLC changes that.
>>
>>340515509
Kill yourself
>>
First time I tried it, I lost all interest 3 hours in. Decided to give it another chance a few days ago and it's still pretty shitty tbqh. I'm in Earthen Peak and so far it's been completely boring, with uninspired levels and terrible bosses.

I don't like to meme but when does this get good/decent, if ever?
>>
>>340516425
If you don't like it by now, you never will.
>>
>>340516425
Eleum Loyce dlc is good.
Only because Ivory King.
>>
Yeah I loved the new mechanics, the very start is good seeing that ogre which is pretty nice enemy.

Still not as a good as 1, since the atmosphere was superior, I felt I was in a true Dungeons and Dragons experience. With Das2 everything felt it was just made from a gameplay perspective.

The fucking Flexile Sentry appearing again as a sub-boss made no sense. No man's wharf is a great area the first time, after that it gets easier until you reach NG+ which gives the AI more patterns but it takes a while to reach NG+ unless you use the ascetics.
>>
Its not bad, its just not that great.
>>
>>340516425
Never, don't listen to the "the dlc is good" meme. If you don't like it now the dlc is more of the same shit
>>
>>340517532
>The fucking Flexile Sentry appearing again as a sub-boss made no sense
In front of the Winter Shrine?

Flexile Sentries were just created to fuck with undead, were created during Vendrick's rule and a lot of shit that was created by or for him was kept in his castle, and were leaking out.
>>
>>340516371
I almost did after walking through the corridor of fanservice and broken mechanics that was DaS3.
I guess it being shiny and new is enough for edgy faggots like yourself: I wish I was that easily entertained.
>>
>>340519310
Kill yourself
>>
>>340512951
Buy Scholar though, it removed some terrible fucking monster placement of the first game. I found it alot more enjoyable.
>>
File: making_new_fiends_featured.jpg (16 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
making_new_fiends_featured.jpg
16 KB, 320x240
>>340512951
It's the best in the series for fashion souls imo.
Also I fucked around the most with pvp in das2, but maybe only because I didn't like the pve.
Besides that, the level design and bosses are all subpar, not to mention it has the adaptibility stat which is questionable beyond belief.
The whole thing feels like a chinese knock-off version of souls games, like those phony harry potter books.

>>340513306
>it's a good souls game
>>
File: 1315487313960.jpg (17 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
1315487313960.jpg
17 KB, 500x382
>>340519585
Someone's mad that their favourite series got another underwhelming sequel.
>>
>>340519310
*tips fedora*
>>
>>340512951
It feels like someone who didn't understand what made the first game good, took apart the design, maps, and basic structure of the game and labelled, catalogued and named every single piece they could find.
Then they put it back together again with a different palette, map, and characters. Needless to say it feels off.
>>
File: 1384557797617.png (124 KB, 5000x2571) Image search: [Google]
1384557797617.png
124 KB, 5000x2571
>>340520074
I'm noticing a pattern in these replies.
>>
>>340513269
>hitboxes are oftentimes inaccurate
Quite a few bosses were bad about that but the biggest offender here was the Ancient Dragon and his phantom foot of death.
>>
My Dark Souls experience

>Friend at work recommends Dark Souls
>Pick it up for the 360 for like, 3.99 at a used game store
>Amazed, great first impression, very challenging
>To be honest, I never got far. I didn't even ring the first bell
>Pick it up once in awhile, just to get frustrated and quit again with no real progress
>Way later in life, eventually pick up an Xbox One
>Not too many games out, so I pick up Dark Souls 2 SOTFS
>Awesome, epic, just like the first one
>I know a little bit more coming into this one, so I pick it up way easier
>Some of the things are streamlined, bonfire teleporting from the start, a hub with more promise from the start, and you can pop effigies anywhere
>first time also having an online experience with the game
>reading every single message, watching all the blood stains.
>I didn't catch on to the summoning thing until later, but it helped me a lot on some of the bosses
>Beat the game
>Do a NG+
>Do all the side DLC stuff, and true last boss
>PvP all day in Iron Keep
>Fun game, great experience, epic adventure
>Dark Souls 3 comes out
>Day one buy
>just like Dark Souls 2
>Streamlined just enough
>Just got to the final boss, without doing much extra stuff yet.

I did pick up Dark Souls 1 again for a bit between DS2 and DS3 release and rang the bells, but haven't picked it up again since.

Maybe I'll pick it up again here once I complete my DS3 first playthrough.

But, in short DS2 is a great game. Soul memory is a bad idea, but really doesn't ruin anyones day, especially if you're a veteran to the series and understand that it's a thing.
>>
>>340512951
People saying it's trash are retarded.

Get Scholar of the First Sin.

Just be aware that enemy attacks track and hitboxes are a bit "vague" at best.

But there's plenty of fun to be had. It's the awkward middle child of the Dark Souls franchise, but it is by no means a bad game.

It's a very good game, but just not quite to the standard people were expecting.

The DLC is godlike though.
>>
>>340513609
DS2's levels might have been more linear, but you could tackle them in any order.

If you had enough Souls you could even skip all the main bosses and head straight to the end game.

DS3 is far more linear than DS2 ever was.
>>
>>340512951
It's amazing.
>>
It's the worst in the series but compared to most modern games, it's great.
>>
It's good enough to keep your attention but it's a weak souls game
>>
File: 1388161.jpg (278 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1388161.jpg
278 KB, 800x600
>>340520783
On the same boat here.
>get ds1 of all the hype
>love the combat and exploration
>shit's too hard tho
>never passed 10 hours clogged
>ds2 comes out
>played that shit for over 200 hourd
>ds3 comes out
>almost at 100 hours by now
>>
>>340512951
it's not brilliant but I personally think it's my favourite in the series since it's so oddly replayable.

Maybe I just enjoy highly repetitive and somewhat mediocre tasks
>>
The game is bad. You will not realize much on first playthrough, but once the novelty is gone, you'll start really seeing how incredibly dumb level design, map design and enemy encouter design are.

Bosses being absolute shit you'll easily realize on the first playthrough.

The story makes absolutely no sense, it has no sense of direction and no point. It's another thing that you can't really grasp during your first playthrough but then you piece everything together and still it's a pathetic cluster of random information that has no bigger structure to it, nothing that makes you go "aha, so this is why". Nothing makes sense. Nothing is explained. The end is abrupt and completely meaningless. The opening cinematic is completely disconnected with the entirety of the game. The story was cut out for DLC purposes, so it's a mess.

Not to mention the lighting. You'd really want a game like souls to have the atmosphere it had in the beta. Final game is washed out because of console parity with PS3/360. It's pathetic.

tl;dr are you a casual who plays souls once and forgets? you'll think it's more or less like all the others. do you do different builds, go NG+, or want to explore things a little bit indepth? you'll fucking hate DaSII.
>>
>>340521890
we get it you're trying to fit in

you can stop now
>>
>>340520326
That your opinion is so bad it's not worth discussing?
>>
>>340521890
NG+2 with aesthetics used all over the place, 500+ hours and only on break because DS3 is out, nigga.
>>
>>340521890
t. potato
>>
File: patches.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
patches.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>340513528
IT'S ME ASHEN
IT WAS ME ALL ALONG ASHEN
>>
>>340520783

>I couldn't beat DS1 so DS2 is better

Ayyyy
>>
>>340522057
>DaS3 is a straight line (with one utterly pointless diverging point) that pours on fanservice and has several functionally useless mechanics
How is any of that an opinion?
>>
>>340520783
Anoan play it again, it's a blast and i started similar to you. Except i did 40 hours, got to anor londo, beat the twins, quit the game. Picked up bloodborne , got plat, went back to dark souls 2, beat it, Dark souls 3 was a breeze. I just started dark souls one again about a week ago. Back in anor londo and loving how much easier it is having played all the others.
Game is still very much alive online btw.
>>
File: 1362166361954.png (42 KB, 263x297) Image search: [Google]
1362166361954.png
42 KB, 263x297
>>340512951
Should I buy this in summer sale? I avoid it since I watched loads of terrible hitbox webm
>>
>>340512951
The DLC is GOAT and I appreciated that it tries to be it's own thing rather than the pander fest that is DS3. If you can get it cheap I'd say it's worth it
>>
>>340522634
True because you can't go to Lothric before Undead Settlement, Cathedral of the Deep and Profaned Capital aren't detours and secret areas don't exist.
>>
>>340522716
>loads of terrible hitbox webm
You watched exactly three:
>Pursuer catching someone at the end of a roll animation (nigga didn't level ADP)
>DSP Mimic
>Giant pound shockwave
Most of the "bad hitboxes" can be attributed to the fact that roll invincibility is determined by a stat, while keeping the same animation. From a usability point of view, you just have to tighten up your roll timing, but it does look bad, I'll give you that.
>>
>>340512951
>Tower of Flame
>Filled with difficult enemies only to have most underwhelmingly easy bosses ever

>Pirates Cove
>Pirates literally hanging on the edge of the docks in the water and the sides of buildings waiting for a passerby to attack

Bad from the start.
>>
>>340522942
>Lothric before Undead Settlement
For what? Weapons that need a lot of scaling to be more worthwhile than stuff you pick up on the critical path, or upgrade materials that lock you out of PvP because of weapon memory? Sure seems like something I'd want to do with a brand new character.

>Cathedral of The Deep
Absolutely not a branch: you can leave it until after the Catacombs, but why would you? Just to invade there with some slightly better gear?
If you go all the way through Catacombs and end up in Irithyll without having done The Cathedral, you're doing it wrong: the big forcefield tells you as much.

>Profaned Capital
Doesn't matter if you do it first, or take the extra twenty minutes to go through Anor Londo beforehand. I'll give you that one, though, even though it hardly counts.

>secret areas
One real secret area, one late-game redux.
>>
It is the least inspired Souls game, but it isn't bad. Also, it still has the best PvP.
>>
>>340523025
So it's just a stat thingy then, right gonna buy it

Also leveling adapt is okay?
>>
>>340523773
yeah new tower of flame makes zero sense but old tower of flame was fine
>>
>>340522912
>The DLC is GOAT

>same old enemy spam everywhere
>same old cheating phantoms
>3v1 boss fight with the above phantom ai
>blue smelter demon
>Frigid outskirts
>Copy pasted boss (2 cats) on the same dlc

Nah. I'll give you the level design since the main game, aside from 1 area or 2 is horseshit, but the dlc suffers from a lot of the problems the main game does
>>
>>340512951
It's worth playing through if you have nothing else but it's not a groundbreaking game like DS1.

For what it's worth, it's huge. With the DLC it's easily three times as long as DS1. So you get your moneys worth I guess
>>
>>340524373
you sound like a shitter

git gud
>>
File: 1464332033752.jpg (4 MB, 3000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1464332033752.jpg
4 MB, 3000x1500
>>340524010
Adp and Attunement (stat that determines number of magic slots) increases your agility. You want to be aiming for 100 to 105 agility for a Dark Souls 1 style roll, but you can manage just fine with less.
Poise works weird in DaS2, so if you're planning on going heavy armour, do a bit of research.

Also, if you're going mage, you can infuse your scatalysts with the same type of magic you're casting for a boost.
If melee, I recommend a dark infused sword for early game PvP.
And if PvP is your thing, buy the Agape ring as soon as you can (it's sold by a mage npc early enough) and live with being down a ring slot until you want to progress.
>>
>>340524583
Nice comeback. I beat all of it. I didn't enjoy most of it. Fume and Alonne were cool, the ivory king was ok, kinda easy. Atmosphere in shulva was top notch, there's just things that drag down the quality of the dlc, like the ones I said
>>
do you like souls games? then you will like 2.
>>
File: FUME_KNIGHT.png (811 KB, 773x1025) Image search: [Google]
FUME_KNIGHT.png
811 KB, 773x1025
i have more than 500 hours played
>>
it's a very fun game if you can get over the clunkiness of it. lots of interesting weapons and armors and mechanics to mess around with. it feels more like an adventure game to me than the rest of them do

dark souls 3 really lacked design choice variation in pretty much every aspect, most areas feel the same and every weapon in each class is identical save for very few differences in weapon arts and stats

I personally prefer to view 2 as a standalone game like DeS and BB as opposed to it being a Dark Souls sequel or whatever
>>
It's a 7.5/10 in a series of 9's and 10's, it's still far better then 99% of other AAA games released in the past 5 years and definitely shouldn't be skipped "because it's shit" if you want to play through the series.
>>
>>340524373

>same old enemy spam everywhere

Get good.

>same old cheating phantoms

If you don't think an NPC pretending to be a white phantom, using chamelon, and just being a dick in general isn't the tightest shit then get out.

>3v1 boss fight with the above phantom ai
>blue smelter demon
>Frigid outskirts
>Copy pasted boss (2 cats) on the same dlc

Optional content within optional content. Probably created in a week -- nothing good would have taken it's place if that time was spent on something else.

Calling ganksquad a 3v1 boss means you were too stupid to realize it was a co-op area (with NPCs or real players). Sure, you can gimp yourself by going solo, but you can't then complain about it. It'd be like trying to beat the game with a broken straight sword and then complaining that it's too hard.
>>
>>340512951

I don't regret buying it at release but it was definitely a let down and the weakest game in the Souls franchise. But even a mediocre souls game is better than most of the garbage that's released these days IMO.
>>
>>340513528
Greirat
>>
>>340525143
>I personally prefer to view 2 as a standalone game
I have a similar thing: it's completely removed from Lordran, so it's like a side-story that informs the events of DaS and DaS3.
An apocrypha or Gaiden, call it what you want; once you stop trying to reconcile it with DaS, it becomes immensely more interesting.
Just a shame it didn't get much of a look in in DaS3 outside of some gear and phantoms.
>>
It's the weakest of the Souls series. Although they did manage to improve and innovate on some the mechanical aspects of the combat, such as power-stance, its myriad flaws outweigh its few positive qualities.
>>
>>340524010
Yes, but 20 is the soft cap.
>>
>the souls games were designed with 1v1 combat in mind
why do you retards believe this garbage? game is retard levels of simple when its 1v1 any basic monster. at least when its 1v2 you have to find openings to attack rather than circle strafe > backstab until dead.
>>
>>340525368
>Get good

I can handle multiple enemies fine, doesn't mean they have to spam it every room you go in.

>If you don't think an NPC pretending to be a white phantom, using chamelon, and just being a dick in general isn't the tightest shit then get out.

That's not the problem, im fine with that, im fine with maldron running away to the middle of enemies, however I am not fine with npcs playing by different rules when it comes to stunlocking, canceling animations and having infinite stamina and 5000 HP

>Optional content within optional content etc

The entire DLC is optional content. You have 3v1 in bloodborne, you have multiple enemy boss fight in ds3, and neither of those felt cheap. It's the fucking AI I mentioned above that make that fight feel like shit
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.