[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? Did it just peak too early?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: sc234f.jpg (11 KB, 188x267) Image search: [Google]
sc234f.jpg
11 KB, 188x267
What went wrong? Did it just peak too early?
>>
>>340482026
retarded story in SP
Deathballs and Koreans in MP
>>
RTS genre dying/dead
Blizzard took 6 years to bring out the full game
Skill ceiling is too high for average players
RTS not entertaining to watch in general
Not as good as Brood War

pick any/all reasons.
>>
>>340482181
/thread

the missions themselves were fun and interesting.
i had fun playing vs people online casually, but the game is ultimately a series of 15 minute panic attacks when playing other people online.
>>
>>340482305
disagree that its not entertaining

sc2 is probably the most fun game to watch

those early GSLs and MLG events were so hype
>>
>>340482026
Blizz became WoWified/toonified/Disneyfied after WoW and didn't have the War40k grit needed to make it atmospheric.

Kerrigan becoming a love interest was a giant middle finger to anyone who'd been paying attention to the story so far.
>>
"I will be the one who kills you" t. Jim Raynor to Kerrigan, BW
"I wanna be her bf :((((" t. Jimmy, WoL
"You spent your expansion making me human, but I'm zerg" t. Kerrigan, HotS
"Now I'm Star Child" t. Kerrigan, LoV
>>
>>340482645
>muh sarah, you dindu nuffin, it was the bad xel'nagar that done it, I'll save you best bro zeratul agrees that I should
>>
>>340482026
If LotV was what was released first and each expansion improved on it I think SC could have kept its place near the top.

LotV was just too late. Amateur Korean scene is dying and foreign scene new blood is just not good enough.
>>
>>340482026
The biggest deal breaker for me was the shitty map editor. They got asshurt over losing DoTA to Valve, so they made it that any map made with the SC2 editor was automatically their intellectual property. This drove away a lot of people who would have otherwise gladly churned out free content for them.

The editor itself was a nightmare to use too. Or at least it was when I last used it. The convoluted process of making a single custom unit was unbearable.
>>
File: 1453062505667.jpg (175 KB, 797x957) Image search: [Google]
1453062505667.jpg
175 KB, 797x957
>>340482026

Blizzard died a very long time ago, even before Activision came to rape its corpse.
>>
>>340482026
Three words: Terrible, terrible damage
The battles in this game are so goddamn quick that it's impossible to enjoy.
>>
>worst story ever in the campaign that didnt get better in the expansions
>deathballs
>too much cheese
>blizzard trying too hard to churn out esports bucks instead of making a fun game
>>
>>340482026
>Made with competitive korea in mind, ignoring the shitty casuals (aka all of us)
>Literally no fun maps at launch. They are/were all 'ladder approved' or 'balanced'
>Hard counters. No natural evolution of a metagame. Strictly controlled by blizzard. Pros literally had no reason to try new things. They got bored
>Competed with Starcraft 1 still: a better game
>League of P2W and DotA2 became more popular
>Custom maps, even with an infinitely more powerful editor were no different than in Starcraft 1. Golden age of custom games was over for some reason.
>>
File: 1438571100553.jpg (19 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1438571100553.jpg
19 KB, 400x400
>>340482026
The campaign missions were mostly fun, and Blizz did a good job of keeping them varied. Recognizing that RTS campaigns never play like actual ladder matches and allowing the campaign to have special units, abilities, upgrades, and mechanics was a great move.

Unfortunately the story is unapologetically terrible, which is made all the more disappointing by how much it shits on the established characters and lore from SC1+BW (which actually had decent writing, Metzen corruption fetish asize).

The custom map editor is more powerful than the WC3 map editor but 100x more complicated to get started with using, which meant that most people never made anything. The B.Net 2.0 custom map system also made discovery of new games almost impossible, since nobody ever looked past the first page.

The ladder matches were alright but couldn't hold my interest for long. SC2 multiplayer isn't bad, but after a match was over I was never eager to play again. My theory is that Blizzard focused too much on "muh esports" and forgot to worry about making the game fun.

I never even got LotV, by the time it came out my interest in SC2 was completely gone. From what I've read, they did manage to make the story even worse, though, so that's kind of impressive.

SC2 is maybe the single most disappointing vidya I've played. I was super hype when it came out, but there's just nothing all that appealing about it. I still go back to play BW and WC3 and they're still fun as hell, but SC2 is just... not fun.
>>
>>340482026
More like TOO late. Jesus Oitavus. It took forever to be released and then WHAT they do? They EA the shit out of the campaign, releasing 1-2 years apart, by the time they finished the zerg campaign everybody had already moved on and by the time the protoss one came, everybody already forgot SC2 was a thing.
>>
>>340482026
Horrible story, dialogues, choices, gameplay design and sp.
>>
>>340482305
>Skill ceiling is too high for average players
This is kind of true. I want a game that is accessible casually but can still be played at a high level. You have to practice the fuck out of Starcraft II just to be not completely garbage and ain't nobody got time for that.

Want to master this entry-level build? Just play this video in the background so you can no the precise second to do some shit.

Then on top of that I need to get autistic levels of muscle memory going to properly hotkey my way to victory.

I felt like I would have to make SC2 my full-time job if I wanted to be actually good at it.
>>
>>340482026
Cancerous MP battlenet. ASSFAGOTS culture.
>>
>>340482026
SP story was insultingly bad.

MP failed to capture the things that made the original great; for instance, many of the changes they made to make the game more acessible actually affected the gameplay adversely. Most matches devolve into stupid fights between maxed out deathballs.
>>
>>340482026

Blizzard expecting a game mostly played at high levels by gooks to stay relevant to people in the West.
>>
It was essentially starcraft 1 with "better" graphics and some different units, and amazingly despite the automation somehow managed to require even greater micro than 1.

Calling it an RTS is wrong, it is a real time micro game, with non stop expansion and base harrassment. That they even reduced the minerals and gas in the standard maps in the last expansion to make make the constant expansion even faster was the final nail in the coffin
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.