[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong? What went right? What would you do to fix it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: dayzlogo.jpg (66 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dayzlogo.jpg
66 KB, 1920x1080
What went wrong?

What went right?

What would you do to fix it?
>>
File: dayzintro.gif (1 MB, 638x345) Image search: [Google]
dayzintro.gif
1 MB, 638x345
>>
File: dayz_gallery_p1.jpg.jpg (531 KB, 1701x854) Image search: [Google]
dayz_gallery_p1.jpg.jpg
531 KB, 1701x854
>>
>>340476401
It was a fun little mod and then they jumped the shark and now we have a perpetual early access "game"
>>
>>340476401

Base building was the cancer that ultimately killed the mod. People couldn't stand it being a survival game and kept trying to make it Battle Royale with Epoch and overwatch and shit.

As far as the standalone I don't even know where to start. These guys had what could have been the next Counterstrike, and had no ability to capitalize on it.
>>
>>340476401
ArmA 2 Engine...
>>
>>340476401
The mod was the shit.
The standalone IS shit.
>>
>>340477861

I'm not sure you could have really made the DayZ mod work as well with other engines.

Like, yeah, there's performance issues and it's and older engine and looks like it, but there's a lot of engines that would have issues with the map sizes and object density and can't be modded about to bring life to something like DayZ in the first place.
>>
>>340477886
>The mod was the shit.

It was until Epoch, base building and custom servers where people started completely kitted with 5 million vehicles fucking happened.
>>
>>340476401
>What went right
The mod was the first of its kind that got it right. An actual fucking zombie survivor game with/against other players with no bullshit story. You literally drop into the game on the beach and try to survive. That's it.

>What went wrong
Awful engine and incompetence really.

>What would you do to fix it?
Shit's fucked yo.
>>
One of it's biggest issues is that it never made zombies a big enough threat to get a good amount of people to work together and cooperate to survive. Especially in the standalone, where there are often zero zombies so people have nothing else to do but look for food and shoot people.

They needed zombie populations like the ones you find in games like Dying Light, L4D, or No More Room In Hell, at the very least in the cities, and herds and stuff.
>>
File: DayzSAinanutshell.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
DayzSAinanutshell.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>340476401
>What went right?
First of it's kind, pretty much started a new sub genre. It's bleak atmosphere is top notch and is why I think that at least for the first 6-7 hours are some of the scariest I experienced, right up there and even beating out games like SH2 and Alien Isolation.

>What went wrong?
People couldn't hack the survival aspects so they started doing everything they could to just make it a shitty KOTH or Battle Royale. Base Building, Epoch, Overwatch, ect shitted the whole thing up because now you can barely find a decent server that doesn't have you picking classes, starting off completely set with powerful rifles, food, water, medical gear, camos, ect, and the only point is now to just kill people until you die.

>What would you do to fix it?
Get rid of base building and shit. Make everyone start with nothing, like really, nothing. Not even the bandage or whatever even vanilla DayZ gets you.

Also rework the zombies, so that there's more of them, they hit harder, have fast and slow ones like in Dying Light, and make it so that when people die, they come back as zombies like in NMRIH if they haven't been headshotted. Zombies should also be able to break down doors and barriers. Roaming herds as well of hundreds of zombies.
>>
File: youaredeaddayz.jpg (69 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
youaredeaddayz.jpg
69 KB, 1920x1080
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.