[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Platforman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9
File: animation003.gif (219 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
animation003.gif
219 KB, 640x360
Let's have a thread for platformers of all kinds.

What are you playing? What are you looking forward to? Etc.

Let's talk about this great genre and what you are currently excited about.
>>
File: Dustforce.jpg (207 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Dustforce.jpg
207 KB, 1366x768
>>
I've been playing Voodoo Vince for the OG xbox recently and having a blast with it! Shame my disc drive shits itself every couple of hours though. Really unique setting.
>>
Guis how do I make a Mario clone on PC to sell for big moolah?
>>
>>340442649
>mario clones
>ever being successful

no dude, literally none have ever come close to being 1% as popular as mario
>>
File: 4L_Eo0mOy53.jpg (92 KB, 430x342) Image search: [Google]
4L_Eo0mOy53.jpg
92 KB, 430x342
N E W
W A R I O
L A N D
>>
File: 1001SPIKES_logo.png (189 KB, 2920x1240) Image search: [Google]
1001SPIKES_logo.png
189 KB, 2920x1240
What Went Wrong?
>>
>>340443432
WHERE
>>
>>340443630
>Le Die a thousand times so hard good because die a lot may may
>>
>>340440668
Are there any hacks for adventure mode melee that make it a more traditional platformer? It be pretty dope playing well designed levels with all the different tool sets
>>
>>340445142
>meleefags

nah im kidding, but why melee when super mario 64 has just the amount of tech and i'm sure the rom hack community is pretty big.
>>
Just finished Shovel Knight, it was pretty fun. Not sure where else to look at the moment.
>>
>>340445731
Pretty fun seems underselling it, but what did you like about it?

most likely i'd just recommend you plow through any good NES/SNES era platformers because that's what it's most influenced by
>>
Castle In The Darkness is pretty good.
>>
>>340446236
Good? or not bad?

i feel like most platformers these days are never highly praised, it's just 'fun' or it excels in one area while lacking in others.

but i haven't heard from this game except in passing
>>
>>340445524
> why play this game when you can play that game
Because I like melee.

To actually contribute; played sotn a bit ago, during a period I was into speedrunning. My first passthrough, I got the bad ending by flying to Dracula with wolf-mist hovering. Then I lost interest when I started all the following playthroughs by skipping death and keeping his alucard equipment. Alucard mode strong suite really is in combat, his floatiness makes exploration a bit tedious. So just sticking to the same dull weapon is clearly the wrong way to go about it.
>>
>>340446705
Repetitive music reminiscent of hydelyde
>>
>>340446705
I liked it a lot, it's good.
Old style(im talking about the gampelay not looks, but with controls adapted to nowdays standards)adventure platformer, lots of secretssecrets have secrets too and easter eggs, tight controls, and both challenging(still not extremely) and fun.

The only issue, imho, is that it's not entirely finished...or rather, the game is 100% completed, but despite the tons of secrets, there are also quite some things that were supposed ot be added but weren't yet...
as example, there are a couple of spots where a secret switch actually does nothing, or a couple of rooms with no real purpose...but could as well be secrets not yet discovered, since all the found ones were never commented by the dev.
>>
>>340446075
Really liked the music, and the use of relics made it pretty interesting. I forget the name of that propeller dagger I got from Propeller Knight, but after I got that the game got pretty easy. Only complaint I had was that the distance you move from taking damage seems a bit far. I got a few cheap deaths out of being hit somewhat near a pit.

I've honestly played most NES/SNES era platformers, but I might try playing through one again anyways. I need my fix. Might work on running Shovel Knight too since it's pretty short and not really difficult.
>>
>>340446845
i like melee too, my favorite game of all-time.

But adventure mode is highly overrated imo, most of the levels are pretty meh on replay.
>>
File: Super Meat Boy.jpg (27 KB, 661x382) Image search: [Google]
Super Meat Boy.jpg
27 KB, 661x382
Also, just a question, why do you think this game got so popular compared to all the other indie platformers of the time? Was it just released at the perfect time of the indie game boom?

It's honestly pretty hard for a mainstream game and everyone i know who has played it hasn't gotten to dark world.
>>
>>340448745
Had a quirky, simple character, graphics that normalfags could latch onto, while riding the design coattails of kaizo/IWBTG in popularity which is something normalfags haven't seen before.

It was a "first" that wasn't really a first at all.
>>
>>340449621
all i know it's at least a better designed game than IWBTG, which is pretty gimmicky (not that smb isn't).

it's true though that the style itself is very appealing, and I guess the soundtrack IS one of the best ever for an indie game.
>>
>>340440668
don't be a jew OP, tell me what that game is called
>>
>>340450219
i honestly dont know, just google imaged.

s'where i'm not a shill

tales of lena [/spoiled]
>>
>>340440668
Finished Environmental Station Alpha, looking forward to ESA2.
>>
>>340451328
Not a platformer
>>
>>340451525
...Except it is? And a good one.
>>
File: Dustforce2.webm (3 MB, 546x306) Image search: [Google]
Dustforce2.webm
3 MB, 546x306
>>340442198
best game (even if I'm not)
>>
>>340451778
>Dust Force
>Cleaning goop

brb building time machine to purchase game then canceling preorder
>>
File: Dustforce3.webm (2 MB, 546x306) Image search: [Google]
Dustforce3.webm
2 MB, 546x306
>>340452061
this better?
>>
>>340445731
>>340447932
Did you play as Plague Knight too?
>>
>>340452636
That game makes you feel so good when you nail those jumps, amazing music too.
>>
Also quick redpill me about Grow Home
>>
File: Dustforce4.webm (3 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Dustforce4.webm
3 MB, 540x304
>>340452837
I made these about 2 years back, cant even remember what this last one was.
I should really try the + update
>>
>>340449621
Biggest difference is that smb has no combat. Platformers that have no combat are somewhat rare.
>>
Chasm.

The game has been "coming soon!" forever. Come the fuck on, already.
>>
>>340454663
is this a metroidvania or what
>>
>>340455616
Essentially.
>>
Playing Alice: Madness returns. First time playing it, in chapter 3. Enjoying it.
>>
>>340451778
>>340452636
>>340453589
This game must be really fun once you're actually good at it.
too bad I suck shit lel
>>
>>340456067
There is a point where you suddenly click and you can rocket through levels. I still need to properly get good.
>>
>>340453086
Didn't expect to like it that much, turned out to be one of my most favourite games.. The game is comfy as fuck and the movement is fun. You'll be climbing a lot at first, but once you get more movement options the game really kicks in. Breaking your fall with a gliding leaf you managed to catch at the very last moment is something you don't get from other games.
>>
>>340457602
Thanks dude, it looked pretty minimal but if the movement is fun that's all I ever want.
>>
>>340458140
It's very momentum based, keep that in mind. You can go pretty fast if you keep up the pace. Personally I liked that a lot, the gliding leaf being my absolute favourite.
>>
File: zone 3.webm (3 MB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
zone 3.webm
3 MB, 500x364
who else is excited for the excellent looking PANTSU HARVESTâ„¢ coming soon for PC
>>
>>340459382
looks good, more info?
>>
>>340452705
I started it, but didn't invest too much time into it. Had trouble adjusting to that bomb blast move, or at least making a certain jump. Might go back to it later, I didn't have a whole lot of time available to me at that time.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.