[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have the next 4 months off university and want to play an MMO.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: WoW_Box_Art1.jpg (191 KB, 300x430) Image search: [Google]
WoW_Box_Art1.jpg
191 KB, 300x430
I have the next 4 months off university and want to play an MMO. Is WoW still the best one to get into? I hear bad stuff about Guild Wars 2 and Elder Scrolls Online.
>>
Ef ef xiv
>>
>>340419538
Gw2 is f2p, you dont lose anything by playing it.
I haven't played TESO much, just got it gifted so I can't say anything, but so far its good.
>>
everquest 2
>>
It's still the biggest.
Most polished as well, likely has the most to do (counting everything, especially for a newer player. For a vet it would seem pretty boring at the moment).
However "best" would be subjective - I write about mmos (not going to plug or link anything) but i've tried a million of them if you need suggestions. What kind of game are you interested in? There are a lot of choices, ranging from good ones, shitty ones, grinding ones, korean ones, p2w garbage, "dead" games, etc. And private servers as well.
>>
>>340419538
Retail isn't worth it, especially not now since they are getting ready for a new expansion.
Just play a private server and save some money.
>>
>>340419538
>I have the next 4 months off university
why aren't you taking advantage of your summer to advance your career prospects?
>>
>Playing an MMO
>4 months
What are you going to do the other three months?
>>
>>340421531

this, if this is your first time playing WoW I doubt you will enjoy the older game and the new one is shit.

so you have 3 options
1. old WoW
2. don't play an MMO
3. dungeon fighter online
>>
Play Diablo II, Path of Exile, PSO2 or the like. MMOs are basically just a shittier version of these games. And the major thing that makes them stand out (human interaction) is being ignored in modern MMOs. So there's literally no reason to play them.
>>
>>340422573
>MMO's are just shitty versions of arpgs

wow

>recommending path of shit when grim dawn just got a new patch

double
>>
>>340421303
any good grind mmo? used to play dofus but I doubt it's much alive anymore
>>
>>340422762

good and grind don't go together but you can play maplestory for tons of classes and things to grind, because that game is all grind, all the time.

choose reboot for server
>>
Play tibia, see if you can complete as much quests as you can.
Ill give you 10 bucks if you can solve the paradox tower without looking it up
>>
>>340422762
Oldschool runescape
>>
>>340422728

Since WoW was based on Diablo II, and now all MMOs keep copying WoW, he's not wrong. MMOs have essentially become watered down Diablo clones with shit queue based combat.
>>
>>340422762
Tree of Savior if you like suffering.
>>
File: horde.jpg (211 KB, 584x1000) Image search: [Google]
horde.jpg
211 KB, 584x1000
>>340419538
nobody plays WoW anymore, everyone jumped ship to FFXIV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RMaN8U3ots
>>
>>340425985
Nobody who I know who played WoW plays FFXIV. They just don't play MMOs anymore.
>>
File: JUST.jpg (267 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
JUST.jpg
267 KB, 1920x1080
>>340426207
>muh annecdote
every WoWrefugee is moving to FFXIV, even if your friends are not.
>>
If you want a MMO, WoW is a bad choice.

If you want to play WoW, I recommend FF 15
If you want to play a Solo MMO, Black Desert
If you want a ARPG, Path of Exile
>>
>>340420431
It's not F2P. It's B2P.
>>
>>340425985

>nobody plays WoW anymore, everyone jumped ship to FFXIV.
>WoW still has 12x the subs that WoW has despitye losing half its subs
>FFXIV has been losing subs like crazy since launch and only has 150,000 people out of 5 million who have completed all end game raids
Whatever you say dude.
>>
>>340421303
I'm interested specifically in shitty ones and p2w garbage.
>>
>>340427041
You know that only 0.2% of guilds killed Kelthusad right?
>>
>>340426673
>Illidan
>Medium
Jesus fucking christ
>>
FFXIV is pretty good. It's rather dull from 1-20, but it definitely picks up as it goes. Additionally if you like healers you actually DPS along with healing. You don't whack-a-mole like WoW and most other MMOs. The story line is also pretty good, but it doesn't really start to pick up until 50 unfortunately.
>>
>>340426673
>>340425985
FFXIV isnt that bad as far as mmos go (tho it's not for me.. no pvp, wtf?) but the amount of faggots tryharding to insert it into any discussion about WoW turns people off.

It's WoW with more instancing, final fantasy art, and no pvp. Not terrible but not groundbreaking either and really has nothing for non-weebs.
>>
>>340424963
>WoW was based on Diablo II
dude what?
this looks like some kind of joke but i dont even see the humor
>>
Nobody bothers with mmos anymore.
>>
File: 1462144628852.gif (1 MB, 305x280) Image search: [Google]
1462144628852.gif
1 MB, 305x280
>>340425985
>500k active players
>>
Yes and its not even close
>>
>>340427839

Early in its development, Billzard North (aka the Diablo II team) was working on the game. Until they had a despite with Blizzard and left to make their own company. Blizzard took the game they were developing and made it into the WoW we know today.

Even without knowing this, you seriously can't see the hundreds of Diablo II similarities in WoW? Are you blind? Do you not see Paladin, Druid, Mage and etc?
>>
File: loadkalimdor.jpg (349 KB, 1002x668) Image search: [Google]
loadkalimdor.jpg
349 KB, 1002x668
>>340426673
No wonder they kill Nost.
>>
>>340427801
It does have PvP, it's just not open world. It's got arenas and battle grounds.
>>
Kronos

YW OP
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 414x414) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 414x414
>>340426673
>illidan is now medium

I never thought it would be possible, but WoW has finally died.
>>
>>340426673
>>340425985

>everyone is moving to FFXIV!
Or another way to put it is, everyone is leaving FFXIV and going back to WoW. Since you're working so hard to claim the opposite and probably lost all your Free Company friends who left the game.
>>
>>340419538
I played WoW long enough to don't recommend you to play it
FF XIV it's WoW but with waifus and that weaboo shit
I totally recommend you Black Dessert
>>
>every mmo is dead or dying according to /v/
then what the fuck do I play? i'm honestly craving some FF14 after playing WoW for so long. what does it do different from WoW that makes it good?
>>
>>340419538
you are 11 years to late bud
>>
>>340419538
do your friends play wow? Playing wow by urselfs not as fun
>>
>>340428271
I meant world pvp. Sorry.
I'm not even that amazing or a big ganker/camper but i just can't handle a mmo without wpvp. Then again I'm old and UO was my first mmo.
(not arguing about pvp vs pve btw, just my preference)
>>
>>340419538
FFXIV for that comfy controller grinding
>>
>>340419538
FFXIV hands down
>>
Final Fantasy XIV is the only good option here.
>>
>>340419538
Sup Anon, just got off Uni myself.

I've found wow to be a brilliant MMO to get into, I prefure it a fair bit more over GW2 and ESO, but in terms of quality, they're all about the same.

I'd say give each a go, but I realise that's a hell of a lot of effort.

I strongly suggest to try wow, if you can get into the Leveling, get into a nice guild and do all the game offers, you'll like it a lot
>>
>>340428382
WoW IS dying slowly, but they did raise the cap on servers, making previously "high" servers "medium" and so on.
(or that's what they said - just saying tho)
>>
>>340428665
You have a single character. So you can heal then go DPS and tank or what ever. It's the best WoW like mmo out there.

If you want some ideas for MMO's
>>
>>340428761
Yeah, I've played quite a lot of WoW and I do miss the World pvp, but FFXIV is pretty fun in my opinion.
>>340428665
FFXIV Has a lot of charm, looks nicer than WoW and has some interesting classes. The biggest issue is you don't really get to experience much of these pros until you are above 40.
>>
>>340428382
Didn't they recently increase the server's sizes? It would make them look like they have less people relative to their capacity.
>>
>>340429032
Don't you have to grind quite a bit if you want to change your job?
>>
>>340428382
It's because of the content drought, this happened in wotlk, cata and mop too, subs will increase at legion launch
>>
>>340428551
BDO
>rampant hacks
>pay2win if you want to be competitive at max (not archeage levels but it's still real)
>even with p2w you're going to need to no life at max if you don't want to be 2shot by neets/whales
>non existant challenging pve
>wildly imbalanced pvp - tho to be fair the pvp is fun, but it takes a bit to get to and then the grind at max like stated above
>blatant misuse of the "sandbox" term. Archeage at least labeled itself as a "sandpark" and it has more "sand in the box" than BDO
>gender locked classes in the current year
>korean shit

Easily the best korean mmo but that's not saying a lot, imo. Fantastic character customization as well. What is the korean obsession with huge tits on elves? I don't mind it necessarily, just seems contrary to the standard elfish look to me.
>>
>>340429246
It's still trending downwards and with how many people they managed to upset with WoD (biggest subscriber spike ever into the fastest decline ever) the spike they get with Legion may not be that big.

But apparently they're living comfortably off whales buying stuff from their in game shop by now anyway, so subscriber numbers don't matter as much for Blizzard.
>>
>>340429503
Not sure that whales in WoW are the same as in other games. There are fags who boast about spending 10k-20k in Archeage, for example.
However maybe quantity of microtransactions trumps that by a big amount.
You're right in the downward trend, tho. And Legion isn't getting even half of the "hype" that WoD had prior to launch. WoD promised so much and failed to deliver for lots and lots of reasons. I know at least in my circle of friends, the same ones that were hyped for WoD barely even know Legion is a thing.
Whether its yet another year of "content drought", or garrisons, or ashran, or rampant cheating in rated pvp, or further slide towards lack of "community", etc -- whatever the reason(s), WoD really really fucked WoW over.
>>
File: 1455752560503.png (70 KB, 688x440) Image search: [Google]
1455752560503.png
70 KB, 688x440
>>340428271
While I have no objections to no world pvp, the arena pvp is pretty bad. Last I checked it was a sleepfest (I was a WHM anyway :^) )and teams trading wins. I've heard good things about Seal Rock, but its from a very biased person. The balance issues are still there.

It isnt a "pvp" MMO in the slightest. And in my own way I commend SE for sticking to their guns and focusing on the Raids (the content attracting players) rather then shoehorn Esports in unbalanced game where only half the classes (of eight) were even viable. *cough* Anet*cough* in FFXIV pvp is more of a side thing.

So people looking for substantial pvp are going to look elsewhere, those people like me have nowhere to go. I really liked XIV though and I kinda miss it.
>>
>>340429983
Oh yeah, I never said it was good. I was just pointing out it exists.
>>
>>340429983
i think this would be pretty funny
but i dont get it
>>
>>340430087
The Joke is that dragoon players are notoriously bad at comprehending simple mechanics like don't stand in the aoe or "you got this debuff, go stand on this tile".
>>
>>340428208
>Do you not see Paladin, Druid, Mage and etc?
Not that guy but those are pretty general fantasy norms. Pretty prevalent across any medieval fantasy media. Attributing them to D2 is like attributing guitar solos to avenged seven-fold.
Also WoW is not based on D2, at all, it was based primarily on MMO precursors such as EQ and Ultima.
>>
>>340429929
I definitely think there's tards in WoW who buy like 5 tokens a month because they're too dumb to make gold like a normal person
>>
>>340419538
Get an internship or something man, there are no MMOs worth playing at the moment besides SWTOR
>>
>>340431034
WoW might not be what it used to but it's still way better than tortanic.
>>
>>340430671

All of those classes he named use skills and similar design to their Diablo II companions. I don't know why people work so hard to fight it. Blizzard made both games so they have a right to take inspiration from themselves. Plus, when WoW was new, it would have been smart to have callbacks to Diablo II. One of their most popular games and their other major online game at the time.
>>
>>340430972
That could be, you're right. i'd be curious to know if people really did that. It seems silly on the surface since buying gold illegally would be far cheaper, and accounts are piss cheap - but maybe the risk is too high and all that.
Like you said tho, dumb to begin with since WoD gives you enough gold without trying and no real serious mandatory goldsinks right now.
>>
>>340431278
TOR isn't my type of game but at least from what I've read it's been pretty successful lately and has changed a lot since launch. I know faggots at massivelyop like it quite a bit - which isn't the best metric but still.
It felt far too much like even-more-of-a-single-player experience than current WoW with a cool (or not cool) story and star wars skins. But i only played it very briefly on a trial awhile back.
On the good side, it did make me play through kotor 1 and 2 again and that was pretty fun.
>>
>>340419538
WOW is hardly an MMO anymore, people just sit around on a city/tavern to get the XP Bonus wile they wait on que for dungeons or raids; or sit on their garrison till a timer dings. At this point the community side of this game went down the drain ... don't waste your time and money

GW2 went to shit after they made the core game F2P, now theres too many kids running around screwing the game, most of them don't understand basic game mechanics making fractals a nightmare unless you run it with a guild. Same with WvW and PvP, too many bad players running around without a clue what to do, basically just mindlessly joining a zerg mob and dying to AoE damage ...
Basically if you play it solo it will suck but with a good guild its enjoyable ...I find that most solid guilds don't accept new players since the game went F2P, unless you have a solid chunk of Achievement Points you are flying solo or joining a noob guild (I don't know whats worse)

ESO is enjoyable but it feels clunky at times, although most game mechanics are solid, the player base its actually great. I just find that people jump into ESO trying to find Skyrim Online and it isn't nothing like it.
The PvP is great and I find it easy to jump in, but mastering it takes time. The PvE is great until you play all the base game and you find out that the developers want to push you paid DLCs every few months ... you don't have to buy em but you won't get nothing new with the base game after you finish it either.
Anyway from the 3 I find ESO the most enjoyable and the one you will get the best deal of if you want to play it for 4 months and then only play it in a more casual way

Apart from these 3 you could give a try to Elite Dangerous, I´m really into it, great community, a bit too grindy but it got a lot better after the 2.1 patch

If you like Star Wars you could give a try to SW The Old Republic, its a more story driven MMO than all of those listed above but it certainly has a great community
>>
Since all current MMos are just single player games with a chat window and end game raiding, my suggestion is just to play a single player game. Which will have better story, combat and quests. And if playing with others is the reason you want to play an MMO, then there's hundreds of better multiplayer games.
>>
Before I say it.
>Nexon
Now that that is out of the way, anyone looking at Riders Of Icarus? I got to try the beta, the combat was nice but I am dead terrified of it going p2w. On the otherhand, it could be handled like Vindictus and end up "ok". Which is better then what I was playing before.
>>
File: 668663.jpg (122 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
668663.jpg
122 KB, 1024x768
City of Heroes, since they the servers back up.
>>
>>340433367
I've been looking at Riders of Icarus for a while now, actually. I got into each of the betas but I either never had the time to play when they were up or I just flat out forgot. How is it?
>>
>>340434103
are you serious
>>
>>340419538
If you are going to play WoW, do not bother with the current game.

Consider playing a private server (FREE) that is using a patch of the game before the implementation of random dungeon finder (Vanilla or Burning Crusade). With the shut down of Nostalrius, Blizzard's focus has been temporarily shifted to quelling the legacy server controversy rather than shutting down the private servers themselves. It is mostly being stirred by people who didn't actually play Nostalrius ironically.

The good experience of WoW is divisible into 2 fundamental parts: leveling and post-game.

If you are into playing for raiding (the post-game), you may want to reconsider the endeavor entirely since private servers usually don't feature a large enough or welcoming community for raiding. Those that do have raid guilds (which are mostly nonexistent) are almost always completely progressed, the fully geared members will see no reason to run freshly capped characters. Although you may have better luck with Burning Crusade because of Heroic 70 Dungeons and the change from 40M to 25M.

As for leveling, this is your best bet to enjoying the game. When you cap, you can simply say you beat the game and maybe call it quits without sticking around and getting burned out. Treat this like you would any MOBA or Team Shooter, get a premade group of 5 friends or else it is not worth it. Play ONLY with your own friends on an active voice chat. You will forgive each other for mistakes and be able to roll every important class for a good instance running composition (CC on dps matters). Bumming for PUGS is useless because we cannot go back in time for the novelty and the only people playing the private servers will be those who played the game in their younger years and still haven't become independent grown busy adults. They are impatient and salty about loot rolls/drops.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
>>340419538
Project 99
>>
>>340422762
Black desert but I heard they have a botting+hacking problem right now.
>>
>>340436125
This is good advice in general, actually. This is a good post.
The part I would disagree with is the inability to find good raiding guilds on private servers. Of course it always depends and some servers are going to be better than others, but at least for vanilla there are a few servers that have more than enough people playing at all hours - pretty easy to find a raiding guild on kronos (1 or 2), for example.
I believe for TBC vengeance and l4g both have enough populations for raiding at all hours as well, but like i said - it really depends.
I think a lot of private server players that were new didn't realize how spoiled they were on nost in terms of sheer amount of players available.

(I know there are other decent vanilla or tbc servers, wasn't trying to shill/counter shill - I'm not playing any at the moment)
>>
File: WoWScrnShot_103009_230157.jpg (197 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
WoWScrnShot_103009_230157.jpg
197 KB, 1440x900
>>340419538
I whole heatedly recommend world of warcraft, its simply better than anything else around. People will shout about final fantasy or guild wars being superior but it's simply not, if you were looking for something different i would recommend FF in a heart beat.

It's still the best in most aspects
(final fantasy tells a way better story)

most f2p mmo's in general are kind of scummy in that there is always that f2p aspect that you will always be aware of so i generally dislike anything with an f2p focus.

gw2 is just a joke don't but into the meme, its the "not wow, wow clone, thats killing wow"

Final fantasy is neat but wow beats it in most aspects (but they are comparable games)

Also the up comming expansion has some interesting new changes which might be a worth while reason to get into it for.

(if you do get into wow, go for a popular server and once your relatively high find a good guild and get into the community like that, don't join a cesspool guild from trade chat, but use the forums or be social and ask people about their guilds)

but hey, im just 1 scrub that won't unsub from wow to log in occasionally and fuck about.
>>
File: 1458086048704.png (349 KB, 599x351) Image search: [Google]
1458086048704.png
349 KB, 599x351
>>340425531
>all they had to do was make RO with better graphics
>they don't
It's literally a solo questing experience for 230 fucking levels, and then you're dropped into this unbearable grind that the game has not prepared you at all for. Not to mention it's not a grind because it was designed that way, but because all the content just stops and the only thing left to do is kill placeholder monsters with incredibly shitty respawn rates in the unfinished areas.

I'm legit upset at what happened to this game.
>>
>>340437446

ToS would have also been bad if it was RO with better graphics. It should have taken what RO did well (freeroaming world) and then still had the diablo style combat that ToS does.

All they need to do to fix ToS is remove the focus on single player quests and remove EXP cards. Then increase enemy EXP by a factor of 20 or so. At lower levels, you won't just immediately level up every time you kill one enemy. And it will also lower the grind after level 100. But there needs to be enough interesting things in the world to encourage people to explore and grind.
>>
File: ARTHAS.png (99 KB, 807x329) Image search: [Google]
ARTHAS.png
99 KB, 807x329
is WoW kill
>>
File: 1461330435391.jpg (55 KB, 531x798) Image search: [Google]
1461330435391.jpg
55 KB, 531x798
>>340438062
>that pic
>>
>>340437931
Well yeah, not literally RO with updated graphics.

If it was solely about roaming around a huge world with a party, encountering field bosses, killing monsters, and finding treasure boxes then it would have been amazing. Instead it tried to half assedly cater to the grinding crowd and the instant gratification Fed Ex quest crowd.

Literally the only thing they game has going for it right now is that it looks cute.
>>
There's zero reason to even touch wow until Legion even comes out.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.