[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pillars of Eternity
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 24
File: Pillars_of_Eternity.jpg (47 KB, 290x366) Image search: [Google]
Pillars_of_Eternity.jpg
47 KB, 290x366
>Bland setting
>Blander companions
>Even blander quests

>Plot is literally fedora level writing 'God doesn't exist!'

Why is this considered one of the great RPGs of the decade again?
>>
>>340407438
>fedora level writing 'God doesn't exist!'

This triggered you so badly?
>>
Because people desperately wanted it to be that
>>
>>340407438
At least they did guns properly.

I'm a sucker for guns in RPGs so it's good in my book.
>>
>>340407438
When the nostalgia goggle got knocked off the RPGeezers could either face the obvious and admit it and move on or they could continue to shitpost and fight on in a futile gesture.

They chose to not go quietly.
>>
Is there any option to TELL EVERYBODY that the Gods are false? Because I didn't get any option and that idiot Aloth took over the Leaden Key even though I told him the World had to know.
>>
>>340407873
>Is there any option to TELL EVERYBODY that the Gods are false?
You realize that everyone would react with pic related, right?

You have no hard evidence. All you know is thanks to your watcher abilities and experiences of your soul.
>>
>>340407438
>Why is this considered one of the great RPGs of the decade again?
It does not, just a solid 7/10 game and a nice fundament for a potentially great sequel

>>340407873
>Because I didn't get any option and that idiot Aloth took over the Leaden Key even though I told him the World had to know.

>Convince him that some secrets are better kept out of kith's hands and that animancy is dangerous

It's your fault
>>
>>340407438

This decade consists of 2010 - 2020. Consider the biggest releases of the genre since then:

>Diablo 3
>Skyrim
>Fallout 4
>Dragon Age 2
>Mass Affect 3
>Final Fantasy 13

How can Pillars of Eternity not be considered one of the best RPGs of the decade when that pile of shit are the contenders?
>>
Most of the companions were insufferable except for Zahua, Maneha and Sagani.
>>
>>340408382
>what is Underrail
>what is Age of Decadence
AAA RPGs are dead. Diablo isn't even a cRPG.
>>
>>340408531
>what is Underrail
games prased by few and only because they're from indie developers
>>
>>340407438
>Companions

You should only use pre-made characters from the inn that has better stats, just like in Baldurs gate.
>>
>>340407873
gods in PoE actively perform miracles, communicate with their followers and reward piety
they're in pretty much every way identical to true gods other than they were created by man which is not nearly as important as certain characters make it out to be

heck you can even tell the fedora elf as much and she has no valid answer
>>
>>340408641
They are praised because they are good cRPGs. Being indie or not is irrelevant.
>>
>>340408531

The final Underrail levels (forgot what they are called, no directions, crazy debuff and respawning enemies) were complete and utter game ruining shit.
>>
File: 1465224774523.png (198 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1465224774523.png
198 KB, 500x500
>>340407438
>bland
>bland
>bland

Not an argument.
>>
I made it to act 3, went a day without playing it for some reason and never got back to it. I was getting bored subconsciously I guess.
>>
>>340408641
Underrail legitimately may very well have the best gameplay among all wrpg's striking a very good balance between character building and in combat agency
one of the few contenders in this aspect would be Age of Decadence
>>
>>340408682
they're just constructs tho, the souls of many poured into one artificial being
they can be beaten and they will fall
>>
>>340408682
>they were created by man which is not nearly as important as certain characters make it out to be
This could be very important for a lot of people.

The fact that they are man-made means they have no divine authority- they are not omniscient and as such bound to make human mistakes.
>>
>>340408765
hey idiot here's a hint: there's hiding areas where you can wait until the debuff wears off literally everywhere
a vast number of npc's even tells you this
but yeh if you try to take the direct route instead of using your brain you run into a wall of enemies
>>
>>340408682
>can tell fedoras to eat shit
I'M BUYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW
>>
>>340408531
>wha is Age of Decadence

That's a good question. I've not seen any discussion about it.
>>
>>340408725
>They are praised because they are good cRPGs
not really, games like torment and fallout 1 are better in every single way
>Being indie or not is irrelevant
it is, pat petting poor indie devs
>>
>Not siding with Hylea

I seriously hope you guys didn't do this.
>>
>>340407438
Is it really THAT bad though /v/? I actually want to try it once.
>>
>>340408791
>Underrail legitimately may very well have the best gameplay among all wrpg's
that's your opinion, fallout 1 is both better and more fun to play
>>
>>340408898
the gods in PoE were never presented as being omniscient or all powerful
heck they KILLED one of their gods, if that didn't stop worship then some madman yelling about GODS AINT REAL isn't going to dent anything
>>
>>340408765
Toned down since release.

And even back then it wasn't terrible, maybe a little tedious.

>no directions
Cry me a fucking river, would you prefer quest markers?

>crazy debuff
Only if you let it stack which you are not supposed to be.

Not to mention you can get an ability to make it stack considerably slower.

>respawning enemies
Only if you let the debuff stack all they way to 20, which again you are not supposed to do.

Sounds to me like you just suck balls.
>>
>>340409014
Berath or the hunter god are the only right answers.

anyone that picked the 'lol so randumb' or edgemaster gods should be shot
>>
>>340409081
I respect your opinion but honestly I found fallout 1 to not require all that much thought during its combat
while sure fallout 1's writing was better I'd personally rank it below underrail in terms of gameplay
>>
Oh, hi RPGCodex niggers, you're a long way from home.
>>
>>340408964
There was a lot of discussion after the release.
>>
>>340409014
>Hylea
beta anon please, galawain is the only way for true progress
do you not feel with all your soul, how we have become like gods?
>>
>>340409045
p-plz respon
>>
>>340408981
>games like torment and fallout 1 are better in every single way
Subjective. Combat and build variety is definetly more simplistic than in Underrail.
>>
>>340409242
its a fairly good modern take on the crpg genre
its not perfect but if you're a fan of the genre I'd recommend it

also fun that for once a fantasy rpg doesn't have the mage class be the god kings of everything
>>
>>340409242
Just pirate it and play it for yourself, if you enjoy CRPG's and Obsidian writing you should find something you like in it.
>>
>>340409180
>while sure fallout 1's writing was better
don't forget the atmosphere
people seem to forget how crucial the good atmosphere is for rpg to become a timeless classic
that's why games like aod and underrail will never be consider classics
>>
>>340409083
>the gods in PoE were never presented as being omniscient or all powerful
But a lot people believed them to be, because they are gods. That's the point.

>heck they KILLED one of their gods, if that didn't stop worship then some madman yelling about GODS AINT REAL isn't going to dent anything
Yeah but if anynoe could present hard evidence that gods are just constructs, shit could get pretty crazy.
>>
>>340409242
Act 1 is medicore with highlights (Raedric Hold for example was very good)

Act 2 is pretty good, definetly the best part of the game.

Act 3 sucks.
>>
I found it seriously short without the expansion, I took a bit longer because I hadn't played infinity games in a while but if I had I could have cleared it in a few days, hell the fourth act only takes an hour.
>>
>>340409375
The atmosphere in Underrail isn't half bad though.
>>
>>340409396
thing is: you aint got no proof what so ever and if you try to out them the gods are liable to smite you on the spot
after all, just try and betray one of the gods and see how biblical they go on the world
>>
File: poe.jpg (16 KB, 369x139) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
16 KB, 369x139
>>340409045
try for yourself
you will either love it or hate it
>>
The final fight with Thaos was so disappointing compared the Dragon/Lich bossfights. Why can't Thaos possess my companions? Hell why can't he possess me?
>>
>>340409556
Underrail's biggest problem is honestly its art direction
the cause for this is understandable after all it was the pet project of like 3 slavs, but sadly a majority of pc gamers are very "visuals first"
>>
>>340409663
>>340409475
>>340409317
>>340409309
I did play Divinity and I loved it.

Might as well give this a try, thanks anons, atlhough I fear it won't be as good as Divinity OS
>>
>>340409681
The fact you can't end the game through dialogue and you're forced into combat is horrendous.

You cannot be a top-tier CRPG if you do not do this, in my opinion.
>>
Can we all agree Aloth was the worst companion?
>>
>>340409820
thats not nigger bird woman
>>
>>340409556
>Underrail isn't half bad though
but it's nothing special either, i'm still waiting for a true fallout spiritual successor
Wasteland 2 was a mistake
I know it's not fallout but still, the drop the ball hard when it comes to art direction and atmosphere
>>
File: Lux-wa.png (3 MB, 2281x1992) Image search: [Google]
Lux-wa.png
3 MB, 2281x1992
>>340409693
>Underrail's biggest problem is honestly its art direction
Isn't half bad either.
>>
>>340409774
>I fear it won't be as good as Divinity OS
dos combat is better, I didn't like dos personaly for other reasons but the combat itself is great
>>
Holy fuck the 2 dragon + 2 mage bossfight is worse than Kangaxx.
>>
>>340409905
to be fair though, it never did try to present itself as "the fallout spiritual successor", it was the media who did that which resulted in some unfair comparisons
and the atmosphere was not that bad, there were some highly atmospheric areas in the game like say the institute of Tchort. If they have enough money to hire a dedicated artist for a sequel I could see it being an rpg classic.
>>
>>340409905
>but it's nothing special either, i'm still waiting for a true fallout spiritual successor
It definitely has the F1/F2 vibe to it.
>>
File: YiRlbqz.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
YiRlbqz.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>340409987
c'mon anon, the main game does not look like this
they should at lest try to emulate fallout art direction
>>
>ripoff classic games but make it worse
>idiots eat it up
>>
>>340410201
nah they shouldn't, the game is its own thing and should be its own thing
its not fallout and it'll never be fallout
>>
>>340407438
The game is fun, but doesn't measure when compared to the classics that clearly inspired it

Overlooking balance issues like classes being fucking imba on release (look at you, paladin), there was plenty of other shit to point at like huge, dull lore dump dialogues everywhere, and companions that didn't feel alive nor interact with the world like they would in BG 1 and 2

I did like other stuff like character creation background options and overall character behavior along the game would matter in dialogues, like people reacting to my character being a mercenary, etc
>>
>>340407438
>obsidian

New Vegas was garbage and I've been staying away from them since then.
>>
File: 349920Entrance.jpg (342 KB, 1155x747) Image search: [Google]
349920Entrance.jpg
342 KB, 1155x747
>>340410201
>they should at lest try to emulate fallout art direction
That's a terrible idea.

Underrail was never supposed to be a Fallout knock-off, maybe inspired but nothing more.
>>
>>340410106
>It definitely has the F1/F2 vibe to it.
yes, the vibe
We need fallout tier armors and weapons designs, gory death animations and general fallout tier fauna and flora
Well, at least I need it
a man can dream
>>
>>340410201
I found it okay apart from the very shitty character models
>>
>>340410390
>>340410514
fine, emulate is the wrong word
polish it more, make it more unique
>>
>>340410534
>yes, the vibe
Well you won't be getting more because Underrail isn't Fallout.

>We need fallout tier armors and weapons designs, gory death animations
Sprites are a lot of work unfortunately.

>general fallout tier fauna and flora
There is a lot of cool designs in Underrail though, pretty much all critters in the game are cool and dangerous in their own specific way.
>>
Sidequests were seriously boring as fuck.
>>
File: 12528.jpg (117 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
12528.jpg
117 KB, 1024x768
>>340410709
It did get a lot of polish right before the relase though. It used to be a lot more basic.

And it doesn't strike me as non-unique in any way.
>>
>>340410807
>Sprites are a lot of work unfortunately.
I'm ok with the 3d models being presented on pre-rendered background
people can hate poe all the want but most of them would at lest agree that poe did visuals right

>There is a lot of cool designs in Underrail though, pretty much all critters in the game are cool and dangerous in their own specific way.

I must get this game another chance
>>
>>340407438
It's only considered that by obsidiots.
>>
PoE is SJW garbage, should be called Pillars of Social Justice because that's what the developers focused on.
>>
File: Divinity_Original_Sin_cover.png (210 KB, 280x375) Image search: [Google]
Divinity_Original_Sin_cover.png
210 KB, 280x375
Move out of the way faggot, the real king is coming through
>>
>>340411061
one tip before you start
you will eventually get to an area called Depot A
if you are unable to finish it in any way that doesn't mean the game is broken, it sadly means your chosen build is not viable and should be tweaked
don't worry though it comes fairly early into the game
>>
>>340411172
Here he is

There's the SJW guy

I guess Americans are waking up
>>
>>340411172
Yeah, you haven't played the game and are just regurgitating shit you have read on /v/
>>
File: header.jpg (41 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
41 KB, 460x215
since we're still here, opinions?
anyone played the beta?
>>
>>340411268
Depot A was nerfed, mutants have a lot less HP so it's manageable for pretty much every build unless you fuck it up royally.
>>
>>340411280

I did play the game. For 40 minutes and then I got a refund from Steam. I want an old school RPG, not an SJW pandering cash cow.
>>
>>340411410
when was it nerfed? I remember those acid spitting mutant hordes to be a royal PITA and needing to bravely run away on more than one occasion
>>
>>340411268
>if you are unable to finish it in any way that doesn't mean the game is broken, it sadly means your chosen build is not viable and
should be tweaked
can i roll with something like gauss sniper glass cannon?

>>340411253
haha! kiddynity circus music is...no, not going to shitpost about this game ever again
It may not be for my tastes but it's still a good game
ironic shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>340411494
>I did play the game. For 40 minutes
There is literally no SJW pandering in the first 40 minutes and hardly any in the whole game.

Why are you trying to fit in so hard?
>>
>>340411494
Tell me exactly where during that 40 minutes did the evil SJW touch you?
>>
>>340411494
Name anything that was SJW pandering in the game that doesn't include the gold plated NPC's (They're optional! You can completely ignore them!)
>>
>>340411494
This>>340411609

Only SJW pandering you could really point out was the fact they forced one of the backers to change the writing on his tombstone because some lyrics he wrote on them triggered trannies

Dude was a spineless faggot tho. I'd have made them choose between keeping it as it was or refunding
>>
>tfw you tell the fedora elf she must destroy her soul and cease to exist in order to piss the Gods off
>>
>>340411595
sniper-sneak builds are some of the most powerful in this game and can deal an almost absurd amount of damage per shot
do be aware stealth is affected by ambient light and more intelligent enemies WILL use AoE attacks such as grenades to flush you out
>>
File: I did it.jpg (59 KB, 368x128) Image search: [Google]
I did it.jpg
59 KB, 368x128
>>340411548
I don't remeber exactly but the only change was that mutants (big ones) have significantly less HP. Dogs are still a pain in the ass but if once you work out how to deal with them it's okay.

>>340411595
>can i roll with something like gauss sniper glass cannon?
Snipers are among the best builds in Underrail, able to one shot literally everything in the game, including final boss. Focus on getting as much critical damage as you can and make sure to use Aimed Shot, it's a guaranteed crititcal every 3 turns.
>>
How the fuck can these 'Gods' be really Gods when I can change their opinions with an INT check during conversation?
>>
File: 7858863.jpg (101 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
7858863.jpg
101 KB, 650x650
>>340411795
>>
>>340411964
Well they are not reall Gods, just really fucking powerful constructs programmed with specific agenda.
>>
>>340411868
>sniper-sneak builds are some of the most powerful in this game
>>340411870
>Snipers are among the best builds in Underrail, able to one shot literally everything in the game
some things never change, sweet
how about the psionic tho? worth it?
>>
>>340411870
ah yeh that seems like it would make things significantly easier

oh and for anyone wanting to play the game: use the "oddities" xp system, its the way the game was intended to be played and honestly one of the more interesting additions to it and the rpg genre as a whole
>>
If Durance was abandoned by Magran then why is he still able to cast divine spells?
>>
>>340411698

They released a patch that removed content just because it offended some SJWs. That was reason enough.
>>
>>340412158

Pure Psi is fun but fucking hard to play.
>>
>Company known for it's good writing
>Let kickstarter patreons write stuff
What were they thinking.
>>
>>340412158
depends on the type of psionic
pure psionic is incredibly powerful but requires you know what you're doing
punch psionics are slightly less versatile but also hard to fuck up (they're essentially muscle wizard builds)
and there's a ton of builds that benefit from investing in at least one area of psionics

also if you play the game do not underestimate the crafting skills, the best items in the game are player made not bought and certain items (a lot of psi-booster type items) tend to be incredibly rare
>>
>>340412158
>how about the psionic tho? worth it?
Harder to make viable but really fun and if done right competes with snipers for the title of the most powerful builds.

They are basically like D&D wizards, struggling in early game but OP later.

Can do a lot of fun shit though, like making a group of enemies frenzy and kill whatever is closest to them, then conjure a magic wall around themselves and watch how the enemies kill each other.
>>
>>340412190
nutted but she still sucking
at that point he basically steals powers from her
pillars first ur-priest
>>
>>340412551
honestly a properly managed tranquility psi build is the most powerful one in the game in that they can deal with virtually every situation
sniper is fantastic but somewhat struggles in certain engagements, like say the arena fights
>>
File: 343px-Pe-monk-580x507.jpg (20 KB, 343x300) Image search: [Google]
343px-Pe-monk-580x507.jpg
20 KB, 343x300
Best flavor dialogue

Best personal quest

Okay not the best damage dealer but still holds his own, so I pronounce Zahua as my favorite PoE companion.
>>
>>340412864
>sniper is fantastic but somewhat struggles in certain engagements, like say the arena fights
For snipers, arena fights are just a matter of getting to act first.

If they get to act first, it's over in 1 shot.

If they don't, they need to survive at least one turn to reposition/flashbang.
>>
>>340413163
true but a lot of the arena opponents tend to have some pretty darn high priority
>>
>>340412864
>tranquility
Psychosis/Psionic Mania are better if you want to see big numbers on the screen.
>>
>>340413249
I was only struggling with Carnifex because he almost always act first and it's hard to survive even a single turn.
>>
Is Devil of Caroc any good? I disliked her personality/voice/appearence so I dumped her after her personal quest.
>>
>>340413309
sure they are good for big numbers but it sucks for anything other than damage deal
tranquility has an ungodly amount of control options
and if you truly want large numbers you can always just shatter your opponent
>>
>>340413037
Durance's quest was a vital part of the story as opposed to the
>solve my problems for me, Watcher!
quests of the others, so I liked that one better
>>
>>340407438
>Bland Setting
I would like to see more of the Aedyr/Redceras/Dyrwood conflict. That was really interesting, not many games center around colonial conflicts and the birth of nations that come with the aftermath. But I agree, Dyrwood's countryside itself is boring and doesn't have much going for it.

>Blander companions
YOU FLAMING WHORE
>>
>>340408981
Holy shit kill yourself. Torment has absolutely garbage combat encounters.
>>
>>340413472
edgy but still only one talking rogue companion in the game
>>
>>340413472
Highest Mechanical skill of any companion.
Pretty useful if you let her flank enemies from the decond row with a longer weapon, and she's a beast if you re-spec her for dual wielding, but that requires constant micro-management so screw that.
>>
>>340413686
>I would like to see more of the Aedyr/Redceras/Dyrwood conflict.
poe 2 will be set in vailian republics
>>
>>340414041

>Black Italy
>>
>>340413825
true but everything else is pure gold
>>
>>340414313
yeah i know, prepare for endless sjw shitposting
>>
>>340414041
That really doesn't do much for me for two reasons
> The Vailian Republics are probably the least interesting country in the setting, even behind the Hawaiian British Empire they have going on
> It doesn't matter much where the game is set if the plot and the players' actions are mostly divorced from the specific problems of the setting beyond whatever local cult or vengeful god is stirring up trouble at the time.

Example, in PoE once you reach Defiance Bay and the game starts to hint that you're going to get tangled with some political maneuvering, what with the secret service and the upcoming meeting with the hyped as all hell Duke Wolf-Eater or whatever the hell his name was, you think you're really in prime position to interact with some of the more interesting aspects of the world and let some of your dialogue skills shine, but no, after about five or so minutes the entire city is on fire and nothing you did amounted to anything in particular. It was really damn sad.
>>
>>340414621
>involve yourself in the tug-of-war for power the different factions in Defiance Bay have going on
>in the end, duke gets psshhh nothin personnel'd
>your political struggles only matter regarding the outcome of the ending slideshow
I want to die
>>
>>340415456

>Side with the Knights (the 'good' faction)
>Get bad end
>>
>>340415595
But you odn't?

Only that mafia family endings are always either bad or evil.
>>
>>340415595

They declared martial law using the forge knights, maybe I should have advised them to give them up?
>>
File: 1454334744495.gif (966 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1454334744495.gif
966 KB, 500x281
>>340415595
>side with the mercenary faction
>they get shit done
>>
>>340414041
>vailian republics
Fuck this shit, it's literally nigger renaissance.

Why not Deadfire Archipelago? From the in-game books we know that it's basically the most technologically advanced place in the whole world, full of guns, pirates, vulcanos and sea monsters.

It would be perfect.
>>
>Ctrl+F "Woedica did nothing wrong"
>0 results
Woedica did nothing wrong
>>
>>340416064
>Why not Deadfire Archipelago?
I know right, or the living lands at lest
>>
File: Angry Moth Startup Noises.jpg (139 KB, 400x511) Image search: [Google]
Angry Moth Startup Noises.jpg
139 KB, 400x511
>>340416064
>Place has "Deadfire" in its name
>Has active volcanoes
>>
>>340416334
Stop posting Thaos
>>
>>340411253
I'm playing through it now and absolutely love it. It's not perfect and I absolutely understand people's complaints (unfunny/non-serious story) but the game just clicks with me. I have only made it to Silverglen though.
My girlfriend is enjoying going through it too on 2 player but after playing for a bit she just speed reads the mountains of dialogue instead of listening to the voice work.
>>
>>340407438
You forgot that the soundtrack is basically a best-of fantasy rpg music.

Some tracks sound exactly like Fable or Oblivion.
>>
File: 1423599807548.gif (580 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1423599807548.gif
580 KB, 480x360
>>340416503
>>
>>340407438
Bland setting. Check
Bland Companions. Check
Bland Quests. Check Check Checkedy.

Plot was pretty cool tho, I enjoy having the different choices on what to do at the end with the things you can do.
>>
>>340415783

didn't the mafia actually fortify the city's economy and reverse the path of being subjugated by foreign powers that it was on?

all 3 factions were morally gray as hell. The knights were doing evil shit by binding """"volunteer's"""" souls into animated golems, the adventurers were a bunch of ignorant hotheads and the mafia is the mafia...
>>
>>340411281
How the hell does this not have a release date yet?
>>
>>340416984
I would agree with you but then I noticed you are tripfagging without any reason so I'm forced to tell you to fuck off.

So nothing personal Mitchell but fuck off.
>>
>>340417038
>didn't the mafia actually fortify the city's economy and reverse the path of being subjugated by foreign powers that it was on?
Yeah, but they were also doing evil shit.
>>
>>340409045
PoE is playing it safe to the point where there is nothing particularly interesting, original or noteworthy about it.
If you are however starved for crpgs in the style of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights and your expectations aren't high then you might enjoy it a lot.
>>
>>340415979
If you tell them to give up on the forge knights they end up returning to their roots and become renowned peacekeepers.
>>
>>340408682
Yeah, that made no sense to me. Like who really cares that they were man made? They have demonstrated that they have powers beyond any mortal, so why is this a problem?
>>
>>340417472
>If you are however starved for crpgs in the style of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Nights and your expectations aren't high then you might enjoy it a lot.
basically me
>>
>>340417787
See >>340408898
>>
>>340407438
>>Why is this considered one of the great RPGs of the decade again?
by who? not even the greasy manchild living in this board went that far...
the game is pure garbage and one of the most boring shits i've played last year
>>
File: portrait_durance_lg.png (122 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
portrait_durance_lg.png
122 KB, 210x330
I enjoyed it a lot. My favorite of the recent CRPG's in this big resurgence of them.

I have no idea why it's hated so hard around these parts, it's a great CRPG and I'm looking forward to the second one.

GREAT TIER
Pillars of Eternity > Underrail > Shadowrun: Dragonfall

GOOD TIER:
Shadowrun: Hong Kong > Divinity: Original Sin > Lords of Xulima > Serpent in the Staglands > Wasteland 2

GARBAGE TIER:
Shadowrun Returns > Age of Decadence
>>
>>340407438
it god bad. they balanced it to shit.
they didn't realize that what made bg2 fun was how overpowered shit could get. now everyone's the same.
>>
>>340408531
A pile of trash
>>
>>340407438

Only for faggots.

Also, there are barely RPGs these days.
>>
>>340408523
>Not liking based Durance and Edér
Come on, now.
>>
>>340409014
My nigger.
It wasn't even a hard choice. The only other possible answer was Berath.
>>
>>340417929
that was my logc when i bought it, it payed off but got really boring to the end, but til then, it's pretty fun
>>
>>340409475
Man, am I the only one that liked Act 3? It was definitely rushed, but that wild city was comfy as fuck (that god damn tree-inn) and I really liked the reveal at the end with the gods.
>>
>>340420286
>now everyone's the same.
I don't know man
ciphers, druids and mages are really fun and crucial on potd
>>
>>340420239
>Pillars of Eternity > Underrail
stopped reading your fucking post right here, poe can't even approach underrail
>>
>>340409681
It was appropriately hard, though, at least for me on POTD.
The only fight that was as hard in the main game was that god damn dragon at the end of the mega dungeon.
>>
>>340413037
He's literally a "dude weed lmao" character.
>>
>>340409820
Nah, Devil of Caroc is the worst companion
And if we aren't counting DLC companions, then it has to be Kana Rua
HELLO!?
>>
>>340407438
>God doesn't exist!
>but magic somehow does
Obsidian went full retard there.
>>
>>340410059
I have yet to beat that fight. I found out a way to win it through amicable dialogue but fuck that, I have slayed every dragon so far, I want to slay those two too, plus she's a gigantic bitch.

I might have to go respec all my characters before I fight her and her dragons.
>>
>>340412551
>They are basically like D&D wizards, struggling in early game but OP later.
Not really. Psionics get ice shard incredibly early and while gun and melee builds are stuck with chance to hit you're dealing reliable damage multiple times per round.
>>
>>340411253
It's a great game with possibly the best combat system of any CRPG ever. But story, setting, character and writing wise, Pillars of Eternity is much better imo 2bh familia
>>
>>340410059
I've beat those with only my cipher alone, the rest of the party was just buffing me and debuffing my enemies
>>
>>340421165
it's not that hard, just use your wizard control spells(sleep, graze, paralyze,slow) wisely
>>
File: 2015-12-30_00011.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-30_00011.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
>>340412158
>how about the psionic tho? worth it?
Psionic in underrail is probably the funniest caster build in all latest RPGs, probably even more interesting than exploiting elemental combinations in DivOS.
You basically get an insane utility, good damage and cool crowd control options all at once, being able to pull off some very cool combinations. Pure psi can also get a few points into throwing and craft gas grenades and molotovs which will allow you to decimate entire hordes of enemies at once by locking them in a room and gassing and burning them into oblivion.
>>
>>340420239
>>340420343
>Aod
>bad
This is how you spot people who ragequitted at the first fight without playing tutorial.
>>
playing witcher 3 made me realize how shitty these isometric CRPGs are.
>>
>>340412190
Priests don't actually use gods for power, their devotion is what fuels them.
>>
>>340411253
RPGs can't really get away with having such horrible character design. If it's not even possible to make a character that isn't completely hideous then everything else falls flat.
>>
>>340413037
He's up there with me, I still like Durance more, though.
>>
>>340422372
Witcher is hardly a cRPG though.
>>
>>340413472
Nah, you did well. Like you said, her personality and her voice acting suck. Her writing and dialogue are garbage and she's very annoying. Easily the worst companion of the game.
>>
>>340421084

I'm not real sure your objection is valid. Magic in the setting is an aspect of reality based on your soul. The gods are something else, although somewhat related.

There are other settings out there that feature magic without gods.
>>
>>340414041
That's exactly where I hoped it would take place. Hopefully the comfy stronghold this time around will be a ship. Not only would it be cool but it'd make sense, you'd be in your own stronghold all the time while traveling between the isles.
>>
File: Durance-portrait.jpg (13 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
Durance-portrait.jpg
13 KB, 210x330
Best boy
Best voice acting
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 265x418) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 265x418
>>340425037
I can agree with the voice acting.

But pic related is the best boy.
>>
File: portrait_aloth_lg.png (108 KB, 210x330) Image search: [Google]
portrait_aloth_lg.png
108 KB, 210x330
>>340425037
>>340425175
those are both men, best boy is right here
>>
>>340407438
>Plot is literally fedora level writing 'God doesn't exist!
>fedora level
>thinking it's an offensive enough term, with the potential to ruin people's reputation on anonymous internet boards

It's probably just that isn't it? Go play TES then, it has Gods in it.
>>
>>340425363
Game needs more jokes about him
>>
>>340416064
I wouldn't be surprised if they let you travel to a few islands nearby the Vailan Republic, considering you'll most certainly be using a ship.
With that said, I don't recall which other locations are close by the Vailan Republics. The snowy zone, maybe?
>>
>>340409045

I want to say that I'd probably agree with >>340410009 but I'm playing through PoE right now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit regardless. ~20 hours in.

This is coming from someone who has had trouble enjoying games recently. Probably because I'm getting older.
>>
i hope it goes on sale on gog soon
>>
>>340416334
She wants to rule over all other gods and she makes sure to punish everyone for every small slight they have made. I'm gonna go ahead and say she did wrong.
>>
>>340425037
>>340425175

Excellent characters and excellent voice acting.

I'm usually strict on who joins my team. >>340425363 seemed like a douche, so I didn't let him join, but Eder is a bro. Chill and doesn't talk my ear off. Games need to relax on the lore sometimes. Too much freaking info to learn.
>>
>>340426086
you can get one for like $3 on g2a
>>
I liked this game because it wasn't fedora core, op is dead wrong. Fedora core would make fun of people who worship a god, but this game doesn't do that. For all intents and purposes, the "gods" are real. They talk to followers, grant abilities, and perform miracles, so there is no reason at first glance to believe anything other than that they actually exist. Without knowledge of those that made the gods, believing the gods exist is the only logical choice.
>>
>>340426517
Just checked this place out. Never heard of it.

How is that possible?
>>
>>340426517
oh reeaally. i always forget about that place
>>
>>340412403
>muscle wizard builds
do you have any build hints or general tips?
it sounds amazing
>>
File: Pillars.jpg (38 KB, 1001x151) Image search: [Google]
Pillars.jpg
38 KB, 1001x151
>>340426740
They have had it for sale almost all weekends now. I got the white match expanions for like 25% off, on release day.
>>
>>340426740
>How is that possible?
most people got keys from diffrent sales and promotions to sell it later with some profit
my all steam games are from g2a
poe was on sales many, many times
>>
>>340422372
Funny, I finished Pillars of Eternity, Underrail, the two last Shadowrun games and must have gotten like a thousand hours with all of those combined.

Didn't even manage to play The Witcher 3 for 5 hours. And I loved The Witcher 1 and 2. They fell way too hard for the Open World meme. Hopefully they won't make the same mistake with Cyberpunk 2077.
>>
>>340425037
Hell yeah.
Zahua is a close second and Edér is a close third. But Durance is the best.
>>
>>340425037

I've never really been sure why /v/ likes this guy so much, he's essentially a huge exposition/lore dump character.

>tell me about dyrwood/aedyr/valian republics
>tell me about the saints war
>tell me about the godhammer bomb
>tell me about magran
>tell me about the hollowborn

Do people just like the fact that he says "whore" a lot?
>>
>>340427782
Witcher 3 had a slow start, imo. But i do enjoy it very much. Somehow i cannot get 40mins into Shadowrun hong kong before i have to re-roll characters.
>>
WE NEED RELIGION OTHERWISE SOCIETY WILL REGRESS INTO A PRIMITIVE STATE

The problem is the game does not actually show any examples of this happening, fuck places like Gilded Vale become shitholes despite the presence of religion.
>>
>>340426897
You will know what to do.

One of the first psi trainers you will encounter is a martial artist.
>>
>>340428694
>The problem is the game does not actually show any examples of this happening

The Engwithan ruins where they made the constructs has a bunch of murals depicting a war against godless barbarians.
>>
>>340428114

Eder was boring as fuck and his personal quest was garbage.
>>
I was playing this game for a while on normal mode and it was too easy so i changed to hard mode. I apparently leveled too quickly or in different areas and I just overpowered everything with ease. Why does this happen? Also the thing where you see a whole essay on a npcs backstory is lame.
>>
>>340409045

combat fucking sucks and the game throws enemies at you like crazy.
>>
>>340428437
He's essentially the game's lore dump while also being a cynical dick. He knows how much you will actually rely on him and that makes him a great party member. Combine that with a decent companion quest and he's probably the the best companion the game has to offer. Hell, he even tells you to shut the fuck up if you ask him too many questions in one sitting.
>>
Given that almost everybody in the setting was religious was there really any point to Thaos doing all this?
>>
File: w8.jpg (42 KB, 480x362) Image search: [Google]
w8.jpg
42 KB, 480x362
I started Wizardry 8 the other day thanks to some anons recommending it, man it's good

After m&m 6/7, grimrock and LoL I thought I had played everything worthwhile
>>
>>340430237
total control, forever stagnation and stabilization
Other gods actually wanted people to advance and discover the truth about their origins but with woedica in absolute power over other gods she would never allowed such a thing
>>
>>340407438
Couldn't get into PoE at all, the combat is way too shit and how monsters/experience work is awful.
>>
>>340407438
is this the game that was supposed to be based on Planescape: Torment?
>>
>>340407438
Divinity original sin was better in every single way
>>
>>340431679
no
>>
>>340422289
Seriously. AoD was one of the better CRPGs in recent memory. It actually felt rewarding when you succeeded compared to the underwhelming encounters in PoE.

PoE's story was little more than a pretext to explore its world and didn't really give you many roleplaying options aside from a few sentences of flavor dialogue. Some character traits have as few as two unique dialog options.

I don't think PoE was bad by any means but I do think that AoD, Underrail, Dragonfall, and Divinity: OS were overall better games. Fuck Wasteland 2 though, I didn't even feel like finishing that mess.
>>
>>340427782
Honestly, they could have released a literal steaming turd after TW2 and it would still have been an upgrade to that mess. It felt like they were in a race to include as many worthless mechanics and bad design choices into a game as possible.
>>
>>340432640
I really wanted to like AoD. It had a decent setting and a dev team that actually interacted with the people who played their game, but what killed it for me was the lackluster plot line and the "You're just a single person; have fun getting fucked wherever you go" vibe.
>>
>>340432640
Age of Decadence is fucking awful.
I can forgive it's garbage graphics and poor transitions, but the indie quality maps and map navigation, the boring, simplistic and repetitive boring combat system and the atrociously clunky interface I cannot stand.

It seriously plays like a game released in 1990 and I'm sorry, but that shit just doesn't fly. It took 7 years to develop and this was the best they could come up with, fucking embarrassing.

The writing may be excellent (I cannot confirm or deny, did not go far enough into it), but everything around is is awful. Pretty much every other CRPG released in the past three years is much better than this piece of crap.
>>
>>340430786
Do you have an issue with movement in this game? I have to hold down the movement keys for like 4 seconds just to move.
>>
>>340433214
Stale pasta.
>>
>>340432972
>You're just a single person; have fun getting fucked wherever you go
Which I felt was great. The world didn't feel like it revolved around your character like it does in most RPGs. If you're playing properly you're the one coming out on top in most situations.
>>
>>340407438
>'God doesn't exist!'

Replay it, the gods that are worshiped do exist, quite plainly. They are right there and worshiped as gods. At no point do they say no gods exist, in fact they just say that the current ones worshiped were at one point not considered gods.
>>
>>340432972
>what killed it for me was the lackluster plot line and the "You're just a single person; have fun getting fucked wherever you go" vibe
Getting fucked over is a consequence of your actions.

You can easily be the one fucking over other people, hell you can even become a messiah or a god
>>
>>340433237
>If I point out the post has been posted before, it will totally disprove it!
The fact it's a copy-pasta and never been properly rebutted just makes it a much better argument. Age of Decadence is G-A-R-B-A-G-E
>>
>>340432640
why did they choose to go for fully 3d disaster?
why not something like pillars or sits?
>>
>>340433390
god do exist but they're not real
>>
>>340407438
>Great setting
>Greater companions
>Even greater quest

>Plot is literally interesting level writing "God doesn't exist!"
>>
>>340433472
Because hand drawn environments and spritework actually cost far more than 3d.
>>
>>340433472
SitS looks like a pixely mess. PoE has actually pretty advanced tech behind it and a lot of artistic work went into finishing those pretty backgrounds.
>>
>>340433471
It's been rebutted in several threads, mainly the complaints about combat.
>>
>>340433698
true but sits was made by two people so
>>
>>340407438
>Bland setting
Setting is ok. Not breathtaking but enjoyable enough.

>Blander companions
Madmilf, Yellow Nigger and not!Rasputin are kewl, and they are enough.

>Even blander quests
Quests are fine.

>Why is this considered one of the great RPGs of the decade again
It isn't. It is considered a noice solid 7-8/10 wrpg.

>>340408898
>The fact that they are man-made means they have no divine authority
People of the setting are actively questioning gods' divine authority all the time - just ask Durance what he thinks about divine authority of both Eothas HAHAHAHA GIT BURND FAGGIT and Magran YA FILTHY FIERY WHORE.
>>
>>340433716
The combat is fucking awful and boring beyond belief. Fallout 1 had a better combat system. There's really no excusing it.
>>
File: Thenamelessone.jpg (19 KB, 320x299) Image search: [Google]
Thenamelessone.jpg
19 KB, 320x299
>>340433860
>Madmilf, Yellow Nigger and not!Rasputin are kewl
I chuckled
>>
>>340433224
Nope
>>
>>340433471
You can't rebut a non-argument. It's the semantic equivalent of proving a negative.
>>
>>340433860
>People of the setting are actively questioning gods' divine authority all the time
Yeah, questioning.

Once people would learn that those Gods are not primordial, they wouldn't just question it.
>>
>>340434218
Not an argument.
>>
>>340433994
F1/2 both had significantly less things that you could do in combat and none of the encounters were designed to be really challenging.

No one was ever praising Faalouts for good combat, it was extremely simplistic but with nice dying animations.
>>
I think that the real reason why some people praise AoD so much are the AoD devs themselves
7 years in development, indie, codex pandering to the extreme etc.
At this point they just cannot criticize it without feeling bad for doing so
>>
>>340434614
>it was extremely simplistic
only if you wanted it to be this way
>>
>>340434848
Not really.

People praise AoD for extreme amount of roleplaying possibilities and attention to detail. There is no better roleplaying game in terms of actual roleplaying.
>>
>>340435006
No, Fallout combat was extremaly simplistic by design unless you consider throwing nades to be the pinnacle of complexity.
>>
>>340435025
torment did that better with only one pre made character to choose from
>>
>>340434273
> they wouldn't just question it
Why? Man is not primordial either. So what gives a man the authority to place himself above the gods, who know more, see more and do more than he does? And I'd even question if the gods of PoE ever claimed to be primordial. Abydon's myth tells of how he built himself, which implies that universe existed well before him.

Seriously - the nature of gods becoming a well-known fact would land a hit on most mainstream cults, but since most people maintain their faith for personal reasons as opposed to world view ones, they just wouldn't give much of a fuck in the long run. Just look at Eder - his god got fukken atomized, yet it didn't prevent him from believing.

Meanwhile, the clerics of all the churches would start a new spiral of theological debate, that would eventually end in dogmas that incorporate the artificial nature of gods into heir divinity. They would become man-made perfections, deus ex machina - man made, yet still divine.
>>
>>340407438
>no waifus
>no mods (to add waifus)

pure shit
>>
>>340435291
Torment didn't have a whole lot of roleplaying possiblites beyond good/evil/law/chaos axes and it's not what it was praised for, stop being delusional. It does't come even close to AoD in terms of roleplaying, no game does.

>inb4 y-you are wrong because I say so
Let me show you all possible ways and consequences to resolve the first (optional) major quest in the game:

Choices
In the outpost, we have the following scenarios (1) attack from a distance; (2) approach, kill one of them instantly [Critical Strike 3] and attack the rest; (3) approach, ask who is in charge [Praetor Background] and convince them to leave [Streetwise + Persuasion= 7]; (4) wait until dark, climb over the palisade with the climbing hook [Strength + Dexterity = 13 and at least Strength 5 and Dexterity 6], or the grappling hook [Throwing 2 and Strength + Dexterity = 12], on using your bare hands [Strength + Dexterity = 13 and at least Strength 6 and Dexterity 6]; and sneak inside the mine [Sneak 4]. You will find a box beside a smelter machine. Open it [Lockpick 4] to receive a tube and some ingots. You can take the tube and leave, take the tube and examine the machine or attempt to kill everyone; (5) approach and act as if you are Sohrab, the loremaster they are expecting [Praetor Background + Disguise 3]. You will have to answer a couple of questions first [Persuasion 3] and [Persuasion + Disguise = 6] or [Streetwise + Disguise = 6]. If you are a woman, each of the composite checks are lowered to 5. Or explain that you are just a skilled loremaster looking for work. He will make a couple of questions [Lore 3] and [Persuasion 3]. Now you can either fix the machine or find a way to heat it until it explodes. In this case, you can convince the guards outside to enter it before the explosion [Streetwise 3]. If you fail in this check, the Decanus and the rest of his men go inside and two guards remain watching over you.

cont.
>>
>>340435182
But it was so fuuuun! I want to be an omnipotent chosen one so bad!

But seriously, did you never roleplayed as Terminator in f2? or retarded groin crusher?
What else could you want?
>>
>>340435291
>>340435843
After the explosion, you and the two guards go to the ground. You can get up after the guards [Constitution 7] and they will kill you; get up at the same time [Constitution 8] and fight or get up before the guards [Constitution 9] and kill one of them. (6) You can poison the guards before the attack. To do this you need ask around who's been buying supplies regularly. If you pay 50 imperials for the information or have a merchant background, some of the storekeepers will tell you that Rhaskos has been buying too many supplies “for a shanty town trash”. Talk to Rhaskos and convince him to spike the wine that he is delivering with poison [Pay 100 imperials] [Pay 20 imperials with Trading 3] [Body Count 8] [Praetor Background], or kill him and deliver the poisoned wine yourself. If you decide for the second option, the guards will ask some questions and you need [Disguise + Streetwise = 6], or [Disguise 2 + Charisma 8] to answer them properly. There are some ways to obtain poison. You can (a) buy rat poison from the merchants for mere 5 imperials (b) convince the alchemist at the market to sell you a stronger poison for 50 imperials [Persuasion 3] or [Merchant Guild Background], (c) obtain a stronger poison made by Coltan [Assassin Background] or (d) create your own poison with alchemy [Alchemy 4 or 6]. If the poison is potent, you can kill the first guard more easily [Critical Strike 2]. (7) if you convinced the raiders to attack the Aurelian outpost, only their leader, Esbenus, will survive. He is wounded. You can either pay him the 1000 imperials you promised [1+ word of honor and he will give you a power tube], intimidate him to leave without the money [Bodycount 10] you receive [-1 Word of Honor], or fight with him [-1 Word of Honor], you take the power tube from its dead body. After that, you went into the mine with Dellar and have the opportunity to fix the smelter.
cont.
>>
>>340435291
>>340435843
>>340435956
Fixing the smelter
To activate the first mode of the smelter you need a power tube (the one you can obtain from the box) and [Crafting 4], [Lore 6]. If you are a praetor, you can learn the "mantra" to use the machine from Sohran, the Aurelian loremaster you intercept earlier. That will lower the skill check to [Lore 5]. If you activate the first mode of the machine without attacking the outpost, you are asked to be escorted to Maadoran to be presented to Lord Gaelius [Prestige Increased]. The smelter is only fixed when you activate the second mode, thus producing blue steel, but for that you need a second power tube, that can be obtained only later on.

Killing them little by little
If you manage to kill the men guarding the entrance to the mine, you can leave the outpost to heal yourself and come back later. When you come back, you will find that the two remaining legionaries barricaded the entrance and armed the slaves. You will need to jump the barricade while avoiding the arrows [Dodge 5] or [Block 4]. If you fail, you lose 10 HP. Kill them. After that, you need to pass a check to enter the mine [Perception 8] or [Traps 3]. If you fail, you lose 20 HPs and permanently lose 2 maximum HPs.

If you decide to take the power tube using sneak and leave without attacking them, you receive [1+ House Daratan Reputation]. If you kill everyone at the outpost, you receive [+2 House Daratan Reputation, +4 if you fix the machine] and [-3 House Aurelian Reputation]. If you blew the mine, you receive [+2 House Daratan Reputation] without penalties with your House Aurelian, because you leave no witnesses.

Later on
After Maadoran, if you come back to the mine, you need House Daratan Reputation 15 and be either a centurion or a praetor to be allowed to enter the mines.
>>
>>340435868
I never said it wasn't fun. It was both fun and satisfying, but in no way was it complex.
>>
>>340407438
its not
>>
>>340435843
>>340435956
>>340436080
>>340435843
I think you posted it earlier couple of weeks ago in similar thread don't you?
anyway you won, I will not try to prove you wrong
>It does't come even close to AoD in terms of roleplaying, no game does.
well, one could argue that elder scrolls potential is endless when it comes to roleplaying
>>
>>340435291
Torment is an overrated meme game and it boggles my mind when people praise it for anything other than story.
>>
>>340436619
>I think you posted it earlier couple of weeks ago in similar thread don't you?
Yeah.

>well, one could argue that elder scrolls potential is endless when it comes to roleplaying
Elder Scrolls have a lot of roleplaying possiblitites but the problem is all of them are usually pretty lackluster/shallow and don't have much attention to detail.

Like becoming an archmage/master of thieves guild/master of dark brotherhood/leader of companions even though you don't know shit about magic/sneaking/killing/fighting.
Also they don't really support being a non-combatant.
>>
>>340435025
>There is no better roleplaying game in terms of actual roleplaying.
yet it has no romances.
>>
>>340437148
There was not a single good romance in any RPG to date though.

They are always lackluster and tacked in just for the sake of being there.
>>
>>340436961
setting, atmosphere, characters, morte, morte
>>
>>340437148
>>340437489
From one of the devs
>I'm not a huge fan of love and courting in RPGs to tell you the truth. I know it's a popular thing these days but I've never seen it done 'right' (or what I consider right) and figuring out a better way to write romance in an RPG is low on my priority list.
>>
>>340436982
>Elder Scrolls have a lot of roleplaying possiblitites but the problem is all of them are usually pretty lackluster/shallow and don't have much attention to detail.
true, roleplaying in elder scrolls was always more about the player's mind set than anything else
>>340437148
shut up about the romances already, go romance a real life chick for ultimate romance experience if you crave it so much
>>
Tyrrany gameplay and big news soon my fellow wizards!
Your time is over AoD, prepere to meet the new king of world reactivity and roleplaying!
Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.