[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, what is it about Da2 that makes the majority of /v/ enraged?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg (56 KB, 256x369) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_II_cover.jpg
56 KB, 256x369
So, what is it about Da2 that makes the majority of /v/ enraged? I've been watching a walkthrough on it and so far, it seems like a good game. Maybe not at good as Da1 but definitely not bad.
>>
>>340328792

There is so many things tha are just a little off and could be easily fixed but it seems that developers just did not understand what makes ds so good.
Still I played the hell out of that game, I got something like 500-600h
>>
>>340328792
It is a "good" game, it's just not a good Souls' game.
>>
I have played 200 hours of it and I'm pretty fond of it. At first it seems cheap and "artificially difficult", and it is, but slowly it gets to be its own thing. Its main flaw is that it is called "Dark Souls II" both in the expectations and the try hard fulfilling on those expectations. When it is not trying to be "Dark Souls 2" but its own game, it gets to be a truly good game.
>>
>>340328792
I'm not sure.

I've played DeS and DaS 1-3 and I love every single one of them. It would be hard for me to pick a favorite.

But let me just say I don't care about PVP at all and never touch it so that doesn't factor into my enjoyment of these games.
>>
adaptability
>>
It's the best souls game, by far. Best pvp of the series for sure.
>>
File: 1423111607556.jpg (2 MB, 1638x1920) Image search: [Google]
1423111607556.jpg
2 MB, 1638x1920
You have to understand, is that with /v/ (and the "core" audience in general) there will almost certainly be major backlash against something that doesn't quite measure up to the hype. It's a love or hate it type of mentality. Little to no in between. Critique the audience, and the game separately.

The game is flawed. Bad hit boxes, a bit of lackluster level design (and instances that make zero sense), forgettable writing (both lore and npcs). It's no secret the game was heavily rushed. A lot of the game had to be completely scrapped and remade in the space of a year. Which is no doubt why the level design isnt up to par. People point out B-team but the dlc proved they had the chops to pull off a game, just not the time.

When it came out, not a whole lot people noticed. It was only a couple months later did people really start to turn on it. The series also grew alot more popular.

And if you know anything about /v/ is that /v/ will hate anything that becomes popular or trendy. So all that adds up to a pretty toxic brew.

It's good game. Perhaps not great or masterful, but worth playing. It is indeed the worst souls game,.but the worst is still a lot better than most video game companies best
>>
File: 1452716066069.jpg (6 KB, 227x225) Image search: [Google]
1452716066069.jpg
6 KB, 227x225
>>340330123
You nailed it.
>>
this is $20 bucks on ps3

i put about 400 hrs into DaS1, really just looking for a change of pace. does it keep the same feeling of adventure and dread?
>>
>>340328792

Admitting you watch people play games should be a bannable offense
>>
>>340334493

Yes but somehow the controls feel a bit off and a couple of little details that matter a shit ton.

>Estus Recovery is slow as shit both the animation and the rate of which your HP restores, this fucked me and got me killed more than anything else in the game

>The Estus animation speed and some invincibility frames are affected by a stat called ADAPTABILITY, which sucks ball since you have to invest on it to better enjoy the fucking game.

>Couple of cheap tricks the game pulls, many ambushes that are hard to prevent, and the game MANY TIMES pits you against many enemies at once in small hallways, so I reccomend a fast but strong weapon like the Sainter's Spear or some shit like that.

>Graphics look like shit compared to the first game, it's the illumination, if you play on PC there are ways to prevent this but doesn't affect gameplay at all, it just look a bit ugly in comparison.

>Some bosses are kinda far from the bonefire and you HAVE to kill many enemies to go as unharmed as possible, it's ok, but when you're getting your ass kicked it gets on your nerves

>As a "bonus" so to speak, some enemies stop respawning after having killed them a lot of times if you're having a hard time, this can suck in case you want to farm for a certain drop

>Each time you die, your HP is reduced until it's like half of it I think, can be restored by becoming human but it is a pain running out of "humanities".

>Bosses range from fucking laughable (There are MANY easy bosses) to downirght cheap like the Chariot or the FIVE FUCKING GARGOYLES by yourself.

>Hitboxes fuck you up, specially against bosses like the Smelter Demon

>Other than that, it's enjoyable towards the endgame and the DLC areas are fucking 10/10 (save for some recycled bosses).

Just bear in mind, the Estus speed WILL fuck you over.
>>
>>340334610
Why? Just so I can get a feel for the game before I buy it is actually fucking smart. Fuck off.
>>
/v/ was overhyped when before the game came out and were disappointed when they didnt get what they expected
>>
adp
>>
>tfw love every souls game but hate dark souls 2
I don't know what it is but I always quit at iron keep. I've played the other games into oblivion but I just hate this game. I hate the combat and the graphics and the cheap bullshit and just everything about it. Everything I loved about dark souls 1 was just completely absent in dark souls 2
So when people say "it's a good game just not as good as the original," I get a little annoyed because I think it's an awful game. Just lifeless and bad.
>>
>>340328792
People didn't realize you're supposed to use life gems and unlocked combat rather than relying on estus and using a shield for everything.
>>
I think Dark Souls 2 is probably the best entry in the series from a systems design point of view (with some obvious, glaring omissions like Soul Memory and ADP being linked to iframes)

Poise worked well but wasn't game breaking like it was in DS1, and even the slightest change to your characters loadout had subtle effects that added up since stamina regen was based on equipment weight. Powerstancing was also handled really well in my opiniong and opened up a slew of interesting possibilities and move sets.

Unfortunately everything else about the experience in the base game is pretty much the worst in the franchise. The environments and level design are uninspired and terrible, and the boss fights are pretty much the worst in the franchise. The DLC environments and level design are a huge step forward, though I would argue that only a few of the DLC boss fights manage to be on par with anything DS1 had.

Funny enough, I have almost the exact opposite set of issues with DS3. I think it's environments and stage design are much better than DS2, but I think it has by far the worst systems design in the franchise. Agonizing over armor loadouts to give you the right balance of stamina regen, poise, and defense is a non question since the answer is unequivocally "hit as close to 69.9% equip load as possible". Your best active defensive option is always to roll since the iframes are so forgiving and shields are so bad, and the best offensive option is pretty much always straight swords.

In general what DS2 did so well is heavily invest me in my characters build because literally every decision had some pro and con. I don't have any investment in my DS3 character because I didn't really make any decisions that felt meaningful in their development.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.