[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It should be illegal to not play this game at least once a year
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 32
File: maxresdefault.jpg (135 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
135 KB, 1920x1080
It should be illegal to not play this game at least once a year
>>
>>340317217
Never played it OP, but i played III a lot long time ago, is II worth my time ?
>>
>>340317360
Not OP, but Gothic 1 and 2 are better than Gothic 3. Finished Gothic 1 like 10+ times, Gothic 2 (+NOTR) more than 7.

You can even get fancy graphics if you look around for DX 11 mod and Vurt's textures (not sure if any applies to Gothic 1, likely not).
>>
>>340317642
Will try II
>>
>>340318015
make sure to play 1 first and if playing 2 make sure its NIGHT OF THE RAVEN
>>
>>340318078
Alright, Night of the Raven is a DLC i suppose ?
>>
File: 1460730230359.png (114 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1460730230359.png
114 KB, 300x300
>>340318015
Just don't go pure mage on your first playthrough.
Like I did
>>
File: listenhereyoulittletwat.png (248 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
listenhereyoulittletwat.png
248 KB, 500x375
>>340318415
No.I like mages
>>
jokes are best heard on german
>>
>>340318272
yeah and a good one, not just an extra hat
>>
>>340318078
This guy knows.

Gothic 1 might INITIALLY seem like it has shit controlls, but after an hour you get used to them and the combat system becomes pretty fun.

Night of the Raven is an expansion pack and you can't really buy Gothic 2 without it now AFAIK, not on Steam that is. NOTR is way harder than G1 but one recommendation - there is a fire mage in Khorinis. Give him 50 gold donations until you can't give anymore. At this point this should almost double your available HP.

Playing Mage is unwise on first playthrough, but definitely doable and, at one point, becomes very easy. You can easily master everything in Gothic 1 (there's enough skill points to master Strength, all weapon wielding types and magic) but not in NOTR.

I'd recommend joining Militia or the Mercenaries first in NOTR, but feel free to do anything in G1.

If you want an easier game of G1, max Strength with Diego asap. At 50 strength just punching a Scavenger kills it instantly. No point in playing pure mage when you can max Strength, Mana, Rune Circles and everything with no problem.
>>
Speaking of Piranha Bytes, is Risen 2 really so much worse than 1? I thought the first one was pretty damn good and got the second game from some bundle.
>>
>>340319217
Never played it, but really liked 1
>>
I've played through NOTR at least three times, once in german.
I couldn't find a german version of the first game online though - I've never even managed to finish it completely, though I've played up to some point a couple of times and would play again.
So, does anyone know where to get Gothic 1 in german? I ain't buying shit, I already bouhgt an antology collection retail.
>>
>>340319217
risen 2 and 3 are both trash
>>
>>340319217
Risen 1 was good (although I still prefer Gothic 1, 2 and even 3)

Risen 2 just felt wrong, couldn't force myself to play more than 30 minutes and just left the game. It seems like it's the same system, but it just isn't.
>>
>>340319105
Is there Charisma, I mean i like to roleplay as manipulative guy
>>
>>340319105
My problem with Gothic 1 is how quickly it puts you on a set path. Joined the sect? Fine. Didn't join the sect? Well go spy on them, they'll treat you as one of their own anyway.
>>
>>340319217

2 and 3 are godawful, picture dragon age 2 and inquisition... but worse
>>
>>340319401
Same here. I played through the game countless of times but I never actually did the very last part of it. Just questing and exploring is what makes this game so damn fun. Don't give a rats ass about the main storyline.
>>
>>340319486
Nope there isn't. You're pretty much the good guy, but there are some choices in the game where you can turn it bad or good.
>>
>>340319217
Personal ranking of all games, when patched to the maximum and such
Gothic2>Gothic1>Gothic3=Risen 1>Risen 3>Risen 2
Relative to the series, Risen 2 is shit, but there's worse games for certain. I found it bearable, but lacking. R3 was a slight improvement.
>>
Holy just saw what they added in NOTR, it can basically be its own little game, thats what i call DLC
>>
File: x.png (48 KB, 907x517) Image search: [Google]
x.png
48 KB, 907x517
>>
File: rainbow eye_face.jpg (45 KB, 474x435) Image search: [Google]
rainbow eye_face.jpg
45 KB, 474x435
>>340317217
>there are people who have Gothic 2 GOLD on Steam and don't have a choice but play with NotR

Great expansion, not something I'd recommend to someone's first time playing Gothic 2.
>>
NOTR makes it harder to level skills, doesn't it?
>>
File: FoC.jpg (1 MB, 1700x2333) Image search: [Google]
FoC.jpg
1 MB, 1700x2333
>>340319814
Back in the day we used to have expansions and not DLC. Sometimes expansions were stand-alone games.
I miss those days, DLC practice is perhaps the worst thing about modern gaming since it's practically unavoidable - I can choose not to play fucking Gone Home shit, but good games from good designers get that dlc shit.
>>
>>340319401
>So, does anyone know where to get Gothic 1 in german?
I think GOG version has it, but it miiiight be locked behind extra download from their site, so maybe the torrents won't have it but I could be wrong.
>>
File: thanks consoles.jpg (227 KB, 1920x1084) Image search: [Google]
thanks consoles.jpg
227 KB, 1920x1084
>>340319217
Risen 1 is probably the best Gothic game since Gothic 2. They completely gave up on for other two Risen games and wanted to make pirate RPGs or something. It didn't exactly work out.
>>
>>340319105
Magic can work but until you become indestructible god of death you pretty much have to play it like an archer - exploit AI and level geometry. Neither magic or archery is really made to be a full fledged alternative to melee, magic only becomes totally OP later on when you pump up your mana and summon armies.
>>
What about Gothic 4
>>
File: G1_goblins party.jpg (67 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
G1_goblins party.jpg
67 KB, 768x576
HEY ANON, LET'S PARTY
>>
File: sweaty.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
sweaty.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>>340320489
We don't talk about it. It never existed. Don't even know what you're talking about.
>>
>>340320560
>falls through the gap between the planks

HAHA RETARDS
>>
>>340320194
This.
Risen 1 was great.
Risen 2 decided that voodoo was more important than blocking or parrying apparently.

iirc magic was shit in all three risen games.
>>
File: guru.jpg (28 KB, 304x609) Image search: [Google]
guru.jpg
28 KB, 304x609
>>340319105
>Gothic 1 might INITIALLY seem like it has shit controlls, but after an hour you get used to them and the combat system becomes pretty fun.
Because the game was designed to be played without a mouse. Try it.

>>340319541
Probably because the game is not really that long. Or they had to cut out a lot of shit and convert faction stories for the main narrative sooner than expected.

>you'll never become a guru because of story reasons
Feels bad.
>>
>>340320673
Agreed. There was i think fire,ice,and ... fucking bullet whatever the fuck that was
>>
>>340320489
>Let's take a look at everything that made Gothic games great
>LET'S FUCKING THROW IT OUT
>>
>>340320489
Linearly the only thing I remember from Arcania is that it had American and European graphical settings.
>>
Couldn't get into it. The story is shit and the whole game feels like a series of roadblocks. Everything kills you instantly, so you better grind these fucking levels, son. Want to skin animals/craft weapons/brew potions/pickpocket shit? Oh, you better grind till your ass bleeds so you can buy these skills. And character progression is beyond primitive, three stats and corresponding weapon skill, you basically have no agency in your character and no way to customize him
And I wanted to like the game so much, the characters are fun as fuck, the world is tiny but really fun to explore thanks to high degree of verticality, but everything else is just shit
>>
>>340320574
>>340320876
>>340320969
Just wanted to see how you will react.
I played it for exactly 3 minutes then i uninstalled it
>>
>>340320489
It's has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with gothic

Like... you know how some sequels are very different from the original games but still have something familiar... Well gothic 4 HAS FUCKING NOTHING

And it's a shitty MMO-tier game but singleplayer
>>
>>340317217
>that motherfucking soundtrack for the entire trilogy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hFH_aCnUl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9b4M_HTD6I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHygvPJt9tE

Underrated as fuck.
>>
>>340320969
What?
What was the difference?
>>
>>340320779
>Because the game was designed to be played without a mouse. Try it.

Meh, played it so much with just keyboard I now absolutely love the game. Finished it 10+ times, I'm not kidding.

Was sad that Sect Camp was shafted - you can't get high level rune magic despite the fact by the end of the game you definitely have points to do so, you can't get Heavy Novice Robe because Lester always says you are not ready...
>>
>>340321209
Fucking nostalgia attacks man
>>
>>340321209
Old Camp is still what I associate with home in the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_TFyrPsfI
>>
>>340321209
>not posting the comfiest soundtracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEXbryHbMwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfHHwelSq4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qu37y0cpA
>>
>>340321209
Because games themselves are underrated. I was surprised to hear Gothic was the shit in Europe, particularly Germany and Poland. I mean, I realize it would be important because of proximity but they SERIOUSLY like it, and probably hate what happened to the series more than anyone else.
>>
>>340321248
>What was the difference?

EU visuals are less saturated and darker, US is the opposite from what I remember. Basically, EU at least tries to look like Gothic.
>>
>>340318272
It's an addon, not fucking DLC.
>>
>>340317360
Posting from my pastebin as usual

It is an absolute masterpiece. One of the most immersive worlds in RPGs. Interesting story, interesting characters, amazing world, beautiful and unforgettable music (for example Jharkendar, or the pirate camp)

The game is filled with content. There isn't a space on the map where there is nothing. There's always a secret, a cave, an NPC, a monster everywhere you go.

This game is also very hard. And hard in a GOOD way. The quests are one of the best if not the best. Every quest is interesting and rewarding. Similar to quests in Witcher 3, although quests in Witcher 3 are piss easy compared to Gothic. There is no GPS on the map leading you to where you have to go to finish the quest. There is no Witcher senses. There is no trail to follow. You have to explore on your own. You have to buy or obtain the map of the region but you just have to learn the paths, memorize how to get from lets say the City to Lobard's farm. The map is just a piece of paper that does what it was made to do, shows you the region. There is no quest marks, waypoints or anything like that on the map. For example: If you decide to become the city's militia the lord will give you a question: Investigate and deal with the distribution of swampweed in the city (swamp weed is like marihuana in gothic). He tells you that the docks is the area of the city where you should start.

(1/2)
>>
>>340322223
That's it. Then you go around the docks and ask people if they know anything about it. But no one is is going to tell you anything because no one wants to get in trouble. So you figure out what to do. I've been doing this quest for 2 days before I finished it. This game is amazing in terms of requiring the player to explore and think, rather than just handing you everything right away

Or the water mage gives you a quest called The lost people of Khorinis or something like that. He says that recently people around the city have been disappearing without trace. You have to investigate and find out what is it. That's it. I've been trying to find out what it is for weeks when I first ayed Gothic (no looking at internet guides) but there's a huge satisfaction when you solve it.

The combat is really hard for beginners but you get used to it later on. It requires good timing and a tiny mistake can lead to death.

This game WONT hold your hand even for a second.
The exploration is very rewarding.

The world is living and you feel like you're part of it. The atmosphere is incredible. You see people doing their daily casual things, smoking, talking, going to work, but you feel like there's some dark mystery around every corner.

I don't even remember how many times I've replayed Gothic. It just never gets boring.

TL;DL: Fucking play it

(2/2)
>>
>>340321554
Yeah, it is very popular there. High popularity in Russia/Italy too.

Some countries have real good taste.
>>
File: gothic.jpg (41 KB, 443x598) Image search: [Google]
gothic.jpg
41 KB, 443x598
I liked 1 more than 2, even with NotR.
>>
>>340322395
Me too good anon, although I find them almost equal.
>>
>>340321054
You can't grind in the game, enemies don't respawn. You just have to, you know, play it to gain experience.

Unless you consider doing missions (aka playing the game) grinding.
>>
>>340318415
But mages are best and most fun to play in Gothic since close combat is garbage.
>>
File: face help.jpg (80 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
face help.jpg
80 KB, 290x290
>>340322687
>You can't grind in the game, enemies don't respawn.

They do, but only some and between chapters. So you basically WANT to clear as much as you can of the map before advancing the story. It's not really grinding anyway, just making sure you don't skip any experience you can possibly get.

>mfw playing Gothic 1 and wandering into some Snappers near the Old Camp
>>
I like gothic
http://webm.land/w/a0Bv/
>>
>>340322908
phew I was expecting minecrawlers. never shat a brick faster then going through the old mine for the first time. it's all cool while you have templers guarding your back, but when you go deeper and hear that SKREEEEEE you know you're fucked.
>>
>>340323049
Minecrawlers aren't even tough, they're just fucking creepy.
>>
>>340321054
> Everything kills you instantly,
Literally git gud. A good player can LITERALLY beat the toughest enemies in the game with nothing but a starting dagger (there's plenty of videos of ppl doing it if you wanna see it)
>so you better grind these fucking levels,
lol, i don't know if we played the same game or that's just a random fake thing to add to your post to make it a better bait.
>Want to skin animals/craft weapons/brew potions/pickpocket shit? Oh, you better grind till your ass bleeds so you can buy these skills. And character progression is beyond primitive, three stats and corresponding weapon skill, you basically have no agency in your character and no way to customize him
I won't even get into this but in a good RPG some things require you to play a bit before you become good at everything and be a god
>>
>>340322894
>Snappers
Oh the memories. The fucking hunt you down, and stalk you for quite the way. Fuck snappers, scary little fuckers.

In Gothic 1, enemies don'T really respawn. There are just a set amount of enemies that spawn with each chapter. They can kill other enemies, so you have to look out to max your exp.

In gothic 2, you can use marvin mode to spawn in a dragon and take it over. It's actually possible to play the game as a dragon, because npc's don't see it as a monster.
Dragons can equip some armors. That really fucks their models up. I have no pictures on hand, but some anon should try it some time.
>>
>>340317217
I have only played Gothic 3.
It was so atrocious I'm still recovering from the cancer it gave me, although I hear the first two are extremely better.
>>
If there were two games I could erase all memory of just to experience again it would be G1 and G2+notr. So much nostalgia and really defined my taste in games. I've played through them both probably ~8 times each and I swear every time I find something new.

I can't even play most rpgs nowadays without comparing them to Gothic.
>>
>>340322908
gothic? more like slavic
>>
>>340321554
Gothic was really big in Poland. Even People who weren't really into RPGs played it. I know a few people who finished Gothic multiple times but never played any other RPG.
>>
>>340323321
>I started this series from the third game

How does this stupidity even happen?
Like.. How does one see a game, a say: "I'm gonna start from the third game which is a direct sequel to the second game" and not want to bash their head in?
>>
>>340323321
Gothic 3 basically fell into the whole OPEN WORLD trap, except they tried to do the same very detailed world on a much larger scale. PB apologized on the forums for the state game launched in even though they were rushed by JoWood. You can tell there's a good game there that probably needed half a year of further development.
>>
>>340321554
They didn't really advertise the game outside of Europe, if they had a big advertising campaing in the U.S. I'm sure millions of people would have played it and it would be one of the most known and popular games ever
>>
File: fass1.jpg (6 KB, 139x171) Image search: [Google]
fass1.jpg
6 KB, 139x171
>>340323330
>returning to the valley of the mines in two
>dark as fuck
>dragon cutscene
>that music cuts in
>distant orc war cries

HNNG
>>
File: gothic3boar.jpg (45 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
gothic3boar.jpg
45 KB, 400x400
What the fuck is it with PB and awful melee combat?
How the hell are they still in business?
>Gothic 3
pure cancer
>Risen 2
>absolutely atrocious combat
>Risen 3
atrocious combat
It's like they obviously design melee combat to be centered on 1v1 and then throw multiple enemies at you every single goddamn encounter
>>
>>340323198
The thing about Gothic games is, that you start as a nobody. Even later, nobody cares who the fuck you are. Just like in real life. People are happy that the Barrier in G1 falls. But who the hell cares who destroyed it?
In Gothic 2? Fuck you, there are orcs and war, you are just a nobody. Way better than the typical "oh, you are special, you know how to skin animals, can wield magic, a bow, a huge sword and everything else, because you are fucking special, a fucking legend"
Gothic is good.
>>
>>340323667
Let's hope that ELEX will bring PB back.
The world design of Gothic is just fucking stellar. The npc's are amazing and unique, you can explore and find amazing shit.

Please don't fuck ELEX up.
>>
>>340323913
I don't think any leads from G1 and G2 days are even there. They left or died in some cases.
>>
Also, since I'm about to play Gothic 1 &2, is the melee combat also hot garbage like literally every other PB game besides Risen?
Are mages shit in this Gothic 2 NOTR?
>>
>>340324040
Melee Combat is better than in Risen.

In NOTR the mages are not exactly shit, but the hardest to play. Basically - Mage begins the weakest, but ends up by far the strongest. Nothing can match up to late summon spells.
>>
File: mpv-shot0141.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0141.png
1 MB, 1280x720
Guess who's back.
Bitches.
It's your favorite, fuck you bipedal lizard, also called Dragon Snapper.
>>
>>340324040
Mages starts rough but later are THE shit.
>>
>>340324197
Is it anything like Gothic 3 where you can just use beds to rest and recover all your mana?
I basically just rested multiple times until I got enough Ancient Knowledge to get mana regen.
Also that Alternative Balancing for G3 makes it literally no fun allowed the game
>>
File: 788.jpg (21 KB, 389x440) Image search: [Google]
788.jpg
21 KB, 389x440
>>340317217
>play G1
>wonder where all orcs are
>finally find some
>>
NOTR is min-maxing bullshit that expects you to go searching for +STR herbs everywhere, goddamnit
>>
>>340324197
I've played as a Mercenary, finished NOTR content, went to the valley and then lost all of my saves. Later I restarted as a mage and everything went much easier.
>>
shit gets old anon, i did at least 10 playthroughs
why modern semi-openworld rpgs can't learn how to make exploration from Gothic is beyond me
>>
>>340324040
Mages are never weak, but they suffer from severe mana issues. Oh and, some enemies later in the game have a magic resistance so high they will whip your ass. I tried to kill one of those with all my strongest spells and it hardly did shit, so i clubbed him to death with my stick.
>>
File: mapa.jpg (78 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
mapa.jpg
78 KB, 800x600
>>340324617
>why modern semi-openworld rpgs can't learn how to make exploration from Gothic is beyond me

Because god forbid you actually have to EXPLORE the world. I don't know what's the point of giving you shit to find and collect, only to mark everything on the map for you in modern games. Shit, Gothic doesn't even GIVE you a map until you find it in the game.
>>
>>340319401
>>340319591
>>340320094
>mfw german Gothic Universe Box with G1, G2 NotR and G3 literally right next to me
feels good man
also i think you could literally install G1 somewhere and then copy the game dir on a usb stick and play somewhere else like in school.
It even fit on my shitty 2gb stick i had 10 years ago
>>
File: 4949252.jpg (171 KB, 1181x1183) Image search: [Google]
4949252.jpg
171 KB, 1181x1183
>>340317217
Gothic 1 > Gothic 2 > Risen 1 > Gothic 3
Haven't played the sequels to Risen, are they of any worth?
>>
>>340324617
Because most devs never played it. Why Witcher 3 devs failed is beyond me since AFAIK they all knew and played Gothics.
>>
Should I get the gog version?
>>
>>340324825
>>340324617
Aint nobody got time for that scavenger hunt shit
>>
>>340324883
remember to install systempack
>>
>>340324559
exactly why i fucking love it
it forced you to stack every single advantage and have a clear character development plan in mind if you want to not die against even trash mobs and tinkering with build combinations like mage with dex-based sword backup
>>
ITT: Germans speaking English
>>
>>340324862
They didn't fail, they just went for a bigger market.
The first witcher is as close to a Gothic game as you'll get.
>>
>>340324862
witcher 3 at least lets you disable points of interest, but its world isn't unique enough for you to orientate around with ease
>>
>>340324883
With old games that might have issues with modern systems you should always go with GoG. Steam doesn't give a shit, I've bought UFO on sale and had to use third party programs to make it work.
>>
>>340325065
I'm actually slav.
Slavs fucking LOVE gothic.
>>
>>340324825
>>340324617
Stop this meme. I've played like 200 hours of both G1 and G2 and I love them to death, but the world design in both of them is seriously lacking. Nostalgia is fine, but don't delude yourself into thinking that Gothic was actually something more than a charming game with a unique atmosphere, because everything else about it was really really mediocre.
>>
>>340325065
Slav here.
English is my second language, german is my third, so jokes on you.
>>
File: LC5sOTV.webm (478 KB, 800x352) Image search: [Google]
LC5sOTV.webm
478 KB, 800x352
>mf by the end of Gothic 1
>>
>>340325065
Slav here.
>>
>>340325065
Germanfag here.
Hi.
We like Gothic.
Not as much as the slavs tho
>>
>>340325082
Exploration is also useless for the most part. In Gothic 2 you had to explore to find monsters to kill and gold in order to advance. Witcher showers you with gold and XP and most things you can get by just exploring are garbage.
>>
Man I love Gothic 2. I keep meaning to replay it and see if I can recreate something my friend did.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think it's one of the quests involving the mercenaries and a huge stick of swamp weed to act as a peace offering. My friend instead smoked all the swamp weed, which in turn caused the screen effects to go crazy and he said that it made walking feel like swimming. He then passed out for a few days in-game.
>>
>>340325065
slav also, i like gothic and my dad loves gothic
slavs love gothic
>>
File: 183373.jpg (215 KB, 1189x1196) Image search: [Google]
183373.jpg
215 KB, 1189x1196
>>340325265
>>340325202
>>340325154
>tfw тoжe cлaв
I even thought that burgers liked gothic for a second. Jokes on me huh
>>
File: 1422807363076.gif (867 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
1422807363076.gif
867 KB, 240x255
>tfw i actually liked gothic 3
>>
>>340324825
>drawn maps
mods are asleep, someone post the lewd sketch
>>
>>340325525
It's a bad gothic game, but patched it's a pretty decent RPG compared to the pile of shits out there.
>>
WILL THEY DO IT AGAIN!? WILL IT BE GOOD?
>>
>>340325525
I really, really tried to like Gothic 3.
I must have restarted the game more than 20 times.

>>340325585
patched the combat is still garbage
Especially with AB on
>>
>>340325175
There are actually things to find in the Gothic games. I actually like the worlddesign of Gothic 3. Just run somewhere, go into a cave, and find nice loot.
I've played skyrim. There is literally no reason to explore. All caves are the same "walk in a circle and come out at the start again".
Loot is meaningless when enemies scale with your level. If you don't pump shit into combat strenght, even basic enemies outscale you.
>>
>>340325661
That's why I only play archer or mage in G3
>>
>>340325648
Is it coming out on consoles? If yes, you can guess the answer.
>>
>>340317217
It helps that Gothic 2 is one of those textbook perfect sequels - more of the same, but bigger and improved. You can argue atmosphere of a colony prison vs more typical countryside, but Gothic 2 is pretty much superior in every measurable way. They even added female NPCs who weren't sex slaves, pic not related.
>>
>>340325769
That means Dragon's Dogma is bad?
Gothic 1 was supposed to come out on consoles.
Risen 1 is a good game and it came out on consoles, although the port is terrible.
>>
being a mage in this game is so comfy

I remember the first time I played this and ran past all the orcs by the castle, then when the next act came around the new orcs got added to the old orcs and I pretty much had to restart

If you do play this make sure you level up a bit before starting the next act because the game spawns strong as shit enemies all over the maps
>>
File: 1423735075108.gif (2 MB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
1423735075108.gif
2 MB, 450x253
>yfw you realized you can swim into Khorinis
>>
>>340325972
There's like 4 ways to get into the town.
>>
>>340325913
>That means Dragon's Dogma is bad?
not him but it's an extremely clunky, empty and unfinished game with good ideas sticking here and there but never getting a proper realization
>>
>>340325972
There's six ways according to internet.

If you have spoken with Lester, you can pretend to be a herb gatherer. You need 10 herbs of a kind to pull this off.
You can buy or simply take farmer's clothes from Lobart and pose as a farmer.
You can pay 100 gold coins.
You can climb over the wall to the right of the gate (impossible with the addon, no XP either).
You can choose to take Canthar's pass and owe him a favor.
You can go past the city and towards the lighthouse and then go down the cliffs and walls towards the sea or the city barracks. Talk to Lares for 500 XP.
>>
Just went back to it after like 5 years. Shit is hella jank and it's gotta be hard for people to get into it if they don't have nostalgia goggles on
>>
>>340323268

You can do the same thing with an Orc. Just set his guild to human and nobody attacks you. He can even equip weapons and rings
>>
>>340325913
It is mediocre at best.
Back in the golden age games were ported from PC to consoles so it wouldn't have mattered.
ELEX will be a PS4 port on PC. Zero chance it will be a "true" Gothic game.
>>
>>340326238
I'd expect a 15 year old game to be 'hella jank'
>>
>>340325972
>tfw you realize there are little islands with lizzards far of the coast
>>
>>340326238
>janky

I disagree. It's a game that, like pretty much every older game, expects you to LEARN how to play it first. It's not intuitive like modern games and there's nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>340325765
>archer
I have no idea how.
Is the damage really that great? Because 99% of the time it's you alone vs 5+ enemies. Later more like you vs 20-30+ waves of enemies in Nordmar. Have no idea at all how you would do it with just bow.

> mage
Fun until you realize you are LITERALLY spamming the lance forever because everything else is pure garbage besides summons, hte aoe spells take ages to cast and are virtually not usable at all, the actually good ultimate spells are locked until 90% of the game is done so you barely get to use them unless you rush the story

>Just run somewhere, go into a cave, and find nice loot.
that's another problem. Usually there is NOTHING of worth in those many caves. No special loot whatsoever
>>
File: 1424081684769.gif (983 KB, 500x364) Image search: [Google]
1424081684769.gif
983 KB, 500x364
>tfw becoming a mage
>everyone shows you respect
>>
>>340326537
getting that fucking sheep to the chapter was worth all the respect in the world
>>
>>340322395
One thing that holds back the first one is the trade system.
>>
>>340326613
Getting the sheep over is bullshit and you pretty much have to clean the way first.
>>
>>340326712
Or just tell it to standby while you go kill scanvegers, snappers, bloodflies, field raiders and whatever fucking shit pops up.
>>
File: Gothic3 2016-03-19 22-34-53-95.jpg (359 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Gothic3 2016-03-19 22-34-53-95.jpg
359 KB, 1920x1080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biymuFu7HTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9axgGQUMmaQ&feature=youtube&t=128
>>
>>340326712
>not heaving cleared the entire map befor you join the first guild.

It's like you don't even want to be stronk
>>
>>340325175
Lacking how? Every nook and cranny is memorable, lots of places with fat loot to sneak into at low levels, or to jump to with super jump or chicken form.
>>
>>340325065
It's mostly polacks with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder though.
>>
>>340327119
There's much more slavs than in just Poland.
>>
>>340327025
Nice screenshot. That game couldn't run on most PCs when it came out. I remember how I couldn't stand the fucking arial font that was above every object in the game.
>>
>>340327297
It took like 4-5 minutes to load the map.
Savescum prevention at its finest.
>>
File: 1436878469387.jpg (74 KB, 800x452) Image search: [Google]
1436878469387.jpg
74 KB, 800x452
>>340327025
>getting the mana regeneration skill
>>
>>340319105
>and the combat system becomes pretty fun.

Now that's a bald faced lie.
>>
>>340325175
I agree with you, and yet it's the only game I want to replay really bad, I even did 3 playthroughs in one mounth after I had finished it the first time.
>>
>>340327716
Pointless.
It just made everything too easy.
I have alchemy for a reason, and I won't be using all those potions fucking anyway.
>>
>>340327905
>>340327716
I really wish magic combat was more than spamming fireballs or ice lances forever though.
Why did they have to make the other spells so fucking trash
If you play with AB on they even force you to buy a lot of useless spells to get the good ones, fuck
>>
File: ajacied_klasve2.jpg (139 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ajacied_klasve2.jpg
139 KB, 1024x768
To everyone lurking this thread, asking themselves why should they care.

Gothic is the anthithesis of Morrowind, just like Witcher is anthithesis of Skyirm.

Instead of choosing the looks of a blank slate character, you are controlling a predefined character with their own, well, guess what, character.

The idea of this game, even though you have a quest log, is to learn the whole game world by heart. There is no minimap or compass, only landmarks. If you get lost, you are LOST, especially at the stage where you don't even have the map. You are also supposed to remember the name and location of every single NPC that matters. They all have their daily routines, so you're not even guaranteed to find them in the place where they were the last time.

The game is much like Dark Souls in the meaning that it gives you a HUGE challenge to get through, but makes it feel extremely rewarding when you finally do it. At the beginning, you are nobody. You can't fight for shit, you get bullied around by the guards and wolves are scary fucks that you will run away from. And the sole idea of getting through a forest all by yourself is terrifying.

One of the greatest concepts about Gothic is the progressive combat system. When you start, your character literally cannot wield a sword for shit. It's not a matter of some shitty stats like strength or dexterity - though they do exist - but even if you maxed those stats and got yourself a god tier gear, your character still can't fight for shit.

So you go to the teachers, spend the skill points (can't learn stuff by yourself, silly), and they show you how to do it.

And then it hits. Suddenly, the WHOLE ANIMATION SET changes. You swing your sword faster, you can chain combo attacks, suddenly everything feels that much smoother.

Gothic is pretty much the Bible for the Witcher devs. If you liked anything about that series (be it either TW1 or TW3 type of action RPG), "should I play Gothic" is not even a fucking question.
>>
>>340328186
Skyrim is more fun though.
>>
File: 14513853684511.png (487 KB, 546x692) Image search: [Google]
14513853684511.png
487 KB, 546x692
>>340328186
>Gothic is pretty much the Bible for the Witcher devs

Well yea except they failed in W3 in everything Gothic excelled at: meaningfull exploration, challenge and interesting world. Instead cdpr chose le slavic skyrim route. I mean i liked w3 but the world of the game is fucking lacking, bigger doesnt mean better
>>
>>340328780
Witcher 1 was fine though.
Clunky controls included.
>>
>>340328186
>comparing piece of shit TW3 to gothic

top kek

Witcher 3 has absolutely nothing to do with gothic

It's a consolized casualized game meant to be targeted at Skyrim's audience.
>>
File: 1269892997218.jpg (24 KB, 289x355) Image search: [Google]
1269892997218.jpg
24 KB, 289x355
>>340325175
As far as world and exploration goes, the games might not be perfect, but they still did it better than anything else, which makes them the best ever.
Dark Messiah was good but it was a string of contained levels, not a free roam world.
>climbing a seemingly decorative chain expecting to hit an invisible wall or fall of the map any second
>there's actually a secret cache in there with some nice items
>>
>>340328780
>Instead cdpr chose le slavic skyrim route.

Not really. Witcher 3 is not an open world RPG like Skyrim, it's an RPG with open world. Their priorities are pretty much polar opposite as far as design goes.
>>
>>340328893
W1 was fine because it weren't trying to be an openworld RPG. It was way more limited in terms of exploration than Gothic and excelled in different areas.

Now W3, that's a fucking disgrace for anyone who played in actually good semi-openworld rpgs.
>>
>there will never be an intellectual masterpiece like the original Gothic duology again thanks to the huge console kiddie market
>>
>>340329121
>intellectual
Come on, the story wasn't really something worth talking about, pretty standard fantasy.
>>
>>340329209
G1 story was pretty good because for the most part of the game you didn't know what it was, it was a mystery and you knew that something evil was out there just don't know what.

G2 story was literally "dragons attack us lol" but the storytelling and sub-plots for the main plot were brilliant and made up for everything else.
>>
>3 buttons to open a chest

This game would have never made it into the American market, PB was smart not to advertise it.
>>
>>340329081
>Witcher 3 is not an open world RPG like Skyrim, it's an RPG with open world.
I might be too drunk but I have no idea what you're trying to say.
>>
File: 2RR7N.jpg (201 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
2RR7N.jpg
201 KB, 1024x576
Why is Risen such a step back from Gothic?
>no swimming
>movement and climbing is floaty as fuck
>not that there's anything to climb anyway
>most quests are "exchange money for xp"
>everything is smaller, less detailed and there's less of it
>all NPCs share 7 models between them
>no swimming
Combat is marginally better but easy to break because shields, other than that and frying multiple meats at a time I don't see any improvements to the formula. Feels like a bootleg Gothic with higher polycount, as I'm even hesitant to call the graphics better with all the bloom, color filters and 2D foliage.
>>
>>340330045
i dont know either but I think he meant that the witcher focuses on RPG as in you feeling like you're Geralt and it has open world, and Skyrim is just open world with some RPG elements
>>
>>340330386
cause most of the people who worked on the gothic series left and other people with different ideas (shitty ideas) came
Thread replies: 163
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.