[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you can complete the main story even if you kill every single
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 194x260) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 194x260
>you can complete the main story even if you kill every single NPC in the game

Why don't more games do this? Bethesda could learn a thing or two from Larian
>>
You can complete Morrowind if you kill every single NPC though.
>>
>>340317115
No you can't. There are literally npcs that if you kill them the story will never be complete. The game literally tells you that.
>>
>>340317318
at least morrowind was deep and mature unlike kiddynity unoriginal sin
>>
You can also do that in Arcanum.
>>
>>340317464
Both are great games, don't be a retard. Just because it's more cartoons doesn't mean it's not good, it had one of the best rpg combat systems ever.
>>
File: frog9.jpg (45 KB, 570x487) Image search: [Google]
frog9.jpg
45 KB, 570x487
>>340317570
>kill npc
>harass their ghost
>>
New Vegas lets you do this and doesn't have shit mission structure and writing like Divinity OS.
>>
How does it make the game better, again?
>>
>>340317817
>Just because it's more cartoons doesn't mean it's not good
yes it is
>>
>>340317318
>trusting what Bethesda tells you

Amateur.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gON5k2kw3as
>>
>>340318254
Freedom to do whatever they want? I don't care that much, but invulnerable companions in fallout 4 was stupid.
>>
>>340318396
Nice factually based argument, fagtron
>>
>>340317009
Could do this in Arx Fatalis already
>>
>>340317817

> best rpg combat systems ever.

Kids these days don't know how epic rpg games used to be.

There is literally a whole generation of kids out there thinking Original sin had one of the best rpg combat systems out there.

What went wrong ? Why can't anybody make a decent rpg anymore ?
>>
>>340318590
that's a fact
>>
>>340318463
>Freedom to do whatever they want
Its not a freedom to do 'whatever'. Its one more liberty to do something completely irrational to the story and make the game worse by killing characters who give you quests and sell you shit.
>>
>>340318813
you're dumb
>>
>>340318630
Go on, enlighten us on these legendary RPG games that had better combat mechanics
>inb4 pretends JA2 was an RPG
>>
>>340317318
The game literally lies to you, it's not some hand holding guided tour shit, why do you think people like morrowind so much
>>
>>340318813
looks like the Fallout 4 Defense Force is here
>>
>>340317817

>Best combat in an RPG
>A super dumbed down version of mechanics from 1993

This game has nothing other RPGs haven't been surpassing for decades, unless you count a story that would make even Blizzard admit they couldn't pack as many generic filler fantasy words into objectives and descriptions.
>>
>>340317009
Except DivOS literally cheats it out by using DUDE NECROMANCY excuse. Second time I was playing the game I was really curious how the game would handle that one town character that is later revealed to be culprit. So I went and killed her, only to get the exact same thing, only her model was swapped for a zombie model
>>
>>340318675
But it literally isn't. Thats an opinion.
>>
File: 1463281648337.png (40 KB, 467x400) Image search: [Google]
1463281648337.png
40 KB, 467x400
>>340318243
>can't kill children
>Yes Man will always respawn unless disintegrated by laser/plasma weapons
>If you melt Yes Man with laser/plasma and you've already killed the major characters in other factions, you can't complete the story
>>
>>340319058
What game are you talking about?
>>
>>340318243
Obsidian >>>>>> Bethesda for story
>>
>>340319256
superior opinion so it's like a fact
>>
>>340319462
LOL no
>>
>>340319374

Any baldurs gate. Gene forge, Avadon, maybe not Avernum but the writing in the Avernum series crushes divinity like a cement truck. Fallout 2 and Tactics. The Ultima series.

The only thing Divinity does that half of these games don't is clearly mark the red squares you're allowed to move to.
>>
File: 1459972814688.gif (480 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1459972814688.gif
480 KB, 600x450
>>340317009
>some blind sandmage in front of a cave holding a mint fucking sword
>kill him and he doesn't even drop it
it's a shame, i was starting to the like the game
>>
>>340319706
if you seriously prefer fallout combat to divinity, you're hopeless
>>
>>340319647
don't you have some nintendo games to play? leave cprg's alone
>>
File: hobbit.gif (1 MB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
hobbit.gif
1 MB, 245x200
>>340319706
>Baldurs Gate
>Fallout 2
>Ultima
>anything in vicinity of 'good combat'
>>
>>340319706
What? The combat system is way different, not to mention all of the element combination stuff you can't do anywhere else.
>>340320081
>but muh edgy mature crpgs
Nice try, but I don't own any Nintendo products. I'm a pc guy that enjoys crpgs of all kinds, div:os was really fun and bg2 is possibly my favorite game of all time. Pull your head out of your ass, all games don't cater to you.
>>
>>340318973

Neverwinter Nights will always stand out in my mind as the Gold Standard on everything a great rpg is supposed to be.

At the time of it's release it had top end graphics. It implemented the D&D 3rd edition ruleset and it was flawlessly implemented for PC play. Although the vanilla game had a horrid story it was still fun to play due to the way actual roleplaying and character progression was implemented. It came with a variety of character classes and abilities to choose from making the game infinitely replayable. Soon after the initial release followed some great expansions that actually had good stories, each expansion adding even more player classes, enemies and content to the game. The vanilla game had a toolset that allowed players to create their own adventures. It was the actual toolset used by the developers to create the game. This caused an even greater amount of content and a large community formed around creating not only their own custom stories (modules) but also a lot of custom content (3d models eg armors,enemies, tilesets, etc).
There were even persistent worlds created where people could play mmorpg style, some of these exist to this day.

There has never been another rpg that had all of these features and that could just suck me in for hours on end. I expected things to only get better but alas ...

NVN 2 had it's moments too and also still has an active community but it just didn't quite reach the glory of that initial title.
>>
>>340320502
>bg2 is possibly my favorite game of all time
what a tryhard
typical poe hater, forever d&d nostalgia nerd
enjoy your kiddy writing and lolsorandum humor i guess
>>
File: 1456526658962.png (382 KB, 700x475) Image search: [Google]
1456526658962.png
382 KB, 700x475
>>340317009
https://youtube.com/watch?v=jPsvDD9Sz_8
Rip in piece
>>
>>340321109
no more shitty circus music, what a shame
>>
>>340318813
Me and my friend did a RaP playthrough were once we finished up side quests and shit in a town we just murdered the entire settlement, took everything we needed and a bit of loot and sold it to the next town before doing it again, it was satisfying when we would realize 'hey guess what? we dont have any reason to come back here' and then start slaughtering people for xp and gold
>>
>>340319462
You're a fucking retard.
>>
>>340321225
you fucking faggot piece of garbage
>>
>>340321109
Div:OS soundtrack is beyond comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzcnCF8yoRI
>>
>>340320959
>poe hater

What? I loved poe, played through as barb on potd. Planning a second playthrough with the white March dlc as a gunslinging aumaua cipher. Don't assume anything, you don't know shit about me.
>>
>>340321225
>that song
>circus
I've heard a lot of shit in my day, but this one takes the cake. Congratulations on dumbest opinion of the day.
>>
>>340321332
shitty.circus.music.does.not.belong.to.a.rpg.game
got it?
I'm glad that fucking subhuman is dead corpse, would murded him myself if i could
>>
>>340317009
Fallout 4 was utter trash. What were they thinking? Where did they go so wrong? How did no one correct them?
>>
>>340321564
pardonne moi in that case but you're the 1%
almost all huge d&d nerds hate poe just for not being another d&d game
I'm still superior tho
>>
>>340321619
>dos ost
>not circus shit
anon pls
>>
>>340321560
have to agree
every piano piece of original sin is branded into my brain. and I don't even really like the style, and I don't like cartoon graphics, but it strangely complemented the game, for me at least
>>
>>340321626
>circus
Again, what part of Divinity 2's soundtrack is even remotely like a circus? Nigga u dum.
>>
>>340322097
That was Divinity 2, idiot. Why don't you actually look at the shit you are replying to before opening that fuckhole you call a mouth?
>>
>>340318993
>why do you think people like morrowind so much
nostalgia
>>
>>340317318
You can go from boat to cutscene in 15 min.
Don't tell me you believed the whole prophecy was real?

All Bethesda could learn from Larian is how to make a minor profit by cashing in on a wave of nostalgia.
>>
>>340322148
>>340322281
this thread is about dos and it's awful circus music
anyway, you will never hear anymore circus shit since circus pseudo compositor is dead and buried unlike mark morgan
god bless mark morgan
>>
File: 379720_20160531180507_3.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
379720_20160531180507_3.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>340321842
because the game tricks you long enough to keep going until you realize how shallow it is
skyrim did the same to me
I played both for 100 hours, but felt so shitty afterwards that I did not buy them. will probably not buy a bethesda game ever again after doom 4 left me with the same feeling of just having wasted my time in hopes that the game gets better.
turns out, the times were games are shit in the beginning and then get better and better towards the end are long over. now it's shit in the beginning until you get all your abilities, then it's fun for a short while, until you realize that the levels are small, the enemies few, and it's basically a mock-game, designed for people who don't really like the genre or video games.
>>
File: 1409200659123.png (63 KB, 192x154) Image search: [Google]
1409200659123.png
63 KB, 192x154
>>340320612
>Neverwinter Nights
>pause-based shitter gameplay
>>
>>340322885
No, this thread is about DivOS and it's game design, you illiterate fuck. Read the OP. And the post you replied to was praising a Divinity 2 song, not that you bothered looking before spewing your shitty opinions into the thread. Seriously, just get the fuck out. This isn't the place for you.
>>
>>340323017

>Divinity Original Sin
>Turn-based shitter gameplay
>>
>>340322945
>no fun allowed
>>
>>340322945
>DOOM
>Bethesda

You fucking retard.
>>
>>340324017
Doom4's publisher is Bethesda, you triple nigger
>>
>>340323359
>Read the OP
>Why don't more games have bad writing, shit story, not funny jokes, shitty wow like artstyle and circus music?
well?
>>
>>340324415
i liked how if you were playing with someone else, every time after you did something bad you and the other guy would have a discussion where you basically pat themselves on the back and say that they did nothing wrong
>>
>>340317009
>Makes an amazing fucking "once in a decade" type of game.
>With fucking two controllable main characters, enabling a story unlike anything ever before.
>Despite obvious hints in the plot basically forcing the expectations to come out, includes no romance whatsoever, not even in the expansion / special edition.
Sounds like there's at least one thing Bethesda not to mention fucking BioWare could teach Larian too.

An RPG story without at least the possibility of a romance is like a main character with a cardboard deep personality. I will never get the point of RPG's that don't have it. Even the simple, mostly useless versions Bethesda has.
>>
>>340324415
>I have never been in a circus in my life
>>
>>340324756
>i liked how if you were playing with someone else
everything's fun with friends
I liked when you were forced to talk to yourself when playing alone
nice rpg experience
>>
>>340324765
Not every rpg needs a waifu
>>
>>340318813
This.

Do you have any idea how many resources they need to pour into crafting a game where the mechanics, story, and experience won't completely break down when people do something retarded like kill every NPC everywhere?

In an ideal world, I'm sure it would be nice to be able to do random, useless shit like pull out your dick and fuck a chicken in a random Zelda game. But in the real world, design like that adds nothing of value, and takes up so many resources they could've made literally *dozens*, even hundreds of ACTUALLY useful and cool features with it instead.

The whole "hurr durr imma kill everyun" and "herrpyderrpy imma kill muh children" like in Fallout, is just stupid. It's not even shocking from any moral perspective. It's quite simply just childish, retarded, and pointless. An utter waste of time and money.
>>
>>340320612
lolwut
NWN combat sucked ass. Way to throw any credibility you might've had out the door.
>>
>>340320612
You have the shittiest standards of all time. NWN was fuckawful until its expansions came out, and no, it didn't have top of the line graphics when it was released, it looked worse than several games from the late 90s despite being released in 2002. I have no idea how ANYONE can have fun with the original campaign.
>>
>>340321626
t. Linkin Park fan
>>
>>340325296
>and "herrpyderrpy imma kill muh children" like in Fallout, is just stupid.
killing chilldren in fallout has had many consequences but still, it was nice the have an option
>>
File: 379720_20160531033958_1.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
379720_20160531033958_1.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>340323698
>no fun allowed

this is exactly the problem with modern games. no fun allowed anymore.
>doom 4 snapmap
>oh boy, finally I can make a REAL FUCKING DOOM MAP
>oh, there is a limit on demons, then I'll just make a small area with lots of them
>oh, only 12 spawn at the time, I guess the game would run too slow with more than 12 enemies on the screen
>but I want to try anyways to see how many my system can handle
>nope, not even a modable option to do anything against the limit

and not only that. I should have seen this when playing through the campaign. the arena-style fights extremely short (2-3 minutes max per fight, tops about 5 or 6 arena fights per level, intense at first, boring at methodical once you get the better weapons or upgrades), except for the two bosses I encountered so far which had very few movesets sadly and just flat arenas where you fight them without any items or additional monsters around, just empty areas
you just keep playing in hopes that story, items or skills will change it up for you, but really disappoints the longer you play. the thing that kept me playing were the secrets mostly, some were well hidden. and the engine runs silky smooth on my meme card.

>>340324017
was talking about being published by them. you can bet that every game under their name will be designed according to their company policies, and I was naive enough to believe that maybe id had some heart left in them. but they are just desperate.
>>
>>340318630
I'd bet money that I've played RPGs for longer than you have and I still think D:OS has by far the best combat in any RPG. The only way you can beat it is by lumping what are effectively TBS games with RPG elements - like Jagged Alliance 2, or X-COM - in as RPGs, and if you don't do that, it blows the games that are actually similar to it, like ToEE, right out of the fucking water in depth and encounter design.
>>
>>340326469
Is there any other game that let's you play as a barrel throwing muscle head, or as an archer able to combine various elemental arrows for awesome effects, and have those builds be viable? Div:OS was great
>>
>>340325373
I like NWN and I still have no fucking idea how anyone could possibly think NWN combat is the best RPG combat of all time.
>>
>>340324765
I dislike romance in my RPGs, it often feels forced and is poorly written. Do you need romance in all your movies too, or are you just a sad sack?
>>
>>340318396
t. man who thinks The Room is better than Watership Down
>>
>>340325146
No, but most do. Most game's main plots simply don't feel enough of a motivator for my characters. I mean, if you're gonna risk your life, health and the lives of your friends to save the fucking world... It seriously helps to know there's someone special waiting for you when you're done, right?

>>340327364
In most movies they're just pointless. But that's different, I'm not directing the story of a character in a movie. And obviously romances should be optional, as they practically always are.

Mainly my point is that any character that is perfect, strong, powerful, and all-capable, is boring as fuck. Romances tend to be a way to allow that character some weakness, an aspect of humanity, flaws, a wavering will... but there's another person there, to help them along, to keep them going, to lend them their strength.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.