[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJ b5juMiNY Good god /v/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8
File: gwyn_by_crew1-d79p6lt.jpg (193 KB, 767x1042) Image search: [Google]
gwyn_by_crew1-d79p6lt.jpg
193 KB, 767x1042
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJb5juMiNY

Good god /v/. You were right. Right about everything. Less and less am I happy to be a fan of this series. Where the fuck did it all go wrong?
>>
File: 1463551506465.jpg (8 KB, 121x171) Image search: [Google]
1463551506465.jpg
8 KB, 121x171
>>340294027
What in the fuck mang?
>>
File: 1464654091260[2].jpg (41 KB, 680x793) Image search: [Google]
1464654091260[2].jpg
41 KB, 680x793
>>340294027

>5 seconds in
>comparing dark souls to Kafka
>>
>>340294427
Alright, so watching the video a bit further, the guy is actually making a lot of fair points. He's not trying to say dark souls is a standard that everything must be compared to at all, even if he's entertaining the idea.
>>
>>340294427
>>340294437
>>340294427
>>340294437
I sat through the whole thing. Do it if you can. It's just... man you let normies get their hands on something first. Then the hipsters and "intellectuals" get a hold of it. Just fucking hell.

>Is Kafka the Dark Souls of literature?
>Is Dark Souls the... Dark Souls of Dark Souls? Hmm.

I've got to use my head and think.
>>
>>340294979
No, but he is lauding it as THE MOST ORIGINAL AND SINGULARLY UNIQUE thing to come out of video games. Comparing it straight Kafka and that other dudes dickriding of Kafka.

And also missing the point/over emphasizing the MUH DIFFICULTY AND DEATH.
>>
>>340295219
Not really, he's not trying to compare Dark souls to Kafka, he's comparing the phenomenon in which we compare everything to Dark souls to how people would compare shit to Kafka, making it a metaphor to describe someone's writing. Only in Dark Soul's case, because of the people's concentration on the games difficulty, it's compared to any relatively difficult task.

He is definitely entertaining the idea, but that is not what the video is about at all. Everything he's saying makes sense as a matter of fact. Like it or not, this is how the masses are responding to the souls series. It's going to become completely normal to hear people in the future calling something "The Dark Souls of x" in the same way that someone would read some old literature and say "this is the Kafka of Egypt".
Yea it's stupid, and it doesn't make any damn sense but that is for some reason the nature of the response. The concept of comparing everything to Dark Souls is now something you can document as having been a thing, and is growing to be a part of vernacular.

It's stupid to care about it at all because you'd have to literally fight 2 aspects of what seems like human nature, which like he said in the video, is fetishizing difficulty (something Dark Souls will be heavily associated with forever), and comparing.

It makes sense dude, the guy is basically just cashing in on it.
>>
File: 1463590898761.jpg (41 KB, 474x378) Image search: [Google]
1463590898761.jpg
41 KB, 474x378
>>340294027
>IODEX GUNDYR
>>
>>340296361
>people call him Jewdex Gundyr
>>
File: 1463459541715.jpg (70 KB, 470x470) Image search: [Google]
1463459541715.jpg
70 KB, 470x470
>>340294027
>Less and less am I happy to be a fan of this series

I don't think it's a matter of where "it" went wrong, a more apt question would be why the fuck are you so genuinely pathetic and insecure?
>>
>>340296165
>It makes sense dude, the guy is basically just cashing in on it.

>Yea it's stupid, and it doesn't make any damn sense

So which is it? It is a fact that the phenomenon has occurred and is occurring, but the comparisons and general zeitgeist surrounding the series has become hyperbolic and a parody of itself. It's shameful and idiotic.

Pseudo intellectuals like him "just cashing in on it" are literally part of the problem. They are using a platform to support and regurgitate popular undercurrents until they become the status quo and just accepted. We are more or less already at this point of no return with Dark Souls, but what people with a platform SHOULD be doing is going against the grain and having real, down to earth discussion and analysis.

The human nature stuff is just bullshit, though imo. It is no substance pointless ~philosophical~ circle jerking.
>>
What is the dark souls of RPGs? I need a new game to play.
>>
>>340296619
I'm not insecure. I'm sad to see something I love get corrupted, misrepresented and over interpreted. The "it" I was referring was the community surrounding games and gaming. In this instance specifically the community around the Souls franchise.

I used to like meeting people whether online or in person to talk about vidya and such. These days it seems almost impossible to get away from the type of sycophantic drivel in the OP unless I come here. Which is just bullshit rage threads and waifu fapathons the last 7 years or so.
>>
>>340296713
>So which is it
You misread.
It makes sense, and it's stupid. The part i was referring to when I said "it doesn't make any damn sense" is when people read OLDER literature and compare it to fucking Kafka, as if Kafka is the absolute original. Logically that does not add up, however it's not impossible to see why it's so.

But that part isn't as important.

I can't say I fully disagree with your sentiment here. The only reason why I can't help but just shrug about it, is because we do this shit all the time. It's just that Dark souls is something we cherished and we do not like to see it perverted by people appreciating it, strictly for it's superficial qualities. But that is the only real problem. Have you never heard someone use an sports Athlete for a comparison? "He's the Kobe of football", shit like that? It's part of vernacular.

The guy in this video is a douche for capitalizing on this perversion, but the phenomenon itself is something that is completely normal to happen and WILL be accepted, like new slang.

The human nature stuff however, you definitely must believe in human's lust for Challenge and hardship to overcome. Especially for men. Manhood is most literally founded upon that principle and so are our prospects for humanity.
>>
This isn't so bad. His constant pointing to "dark souls of X" is tiresome and I don't really like this guy personally just from watching him, but when he talks about other things (even people's treatment of Kafka and the Borges' point about his work and how it relates to the speaker's point) he has cogent points.
>>
>>340294027

Oh boy it's the undertake argument where people suddenly hate a series because of normies

Your favorite series doesn't have to be a never popular niche you fucking fags
>>
>>340294027

What the fuck is this video.
>>
I'm glad Dark Souls is over.

Maybe From can focus on Armored Core again for the next ten or twelve years until everyone forgot about Souls.
>>
>>340298160
Fat chance.
Dark souls is a cash cow baby, there will be more souls or souls LIKE games from fromsoftware (who the fuck thought that name was a good idea?), guaranteed.
>>
>Start Dark Souls related video
>Joke about 'you're gonna die alot XD' within the first 10 seconds

I hate this community so fucking much
>>
>>340298484
>Every random webcomic retard
>"oh game's so hard it murdered me IRL"
>>
>>340298272

They confirmed souls 3 is the last, the remaining DLC will wrap up everything else while leaving even more lore for people to dissect
>>
>>340298002
No one (in this thread) seems to hate the series.

It's like>>340298484
This community has become insufferable.

Undertale has been and will continue to be shit, though.
>>
File: pepe.png (203 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
203 KB, 499x499
>>340298556
Hey
Hey

Did you know that Dark Souls was hard?

XD
>>
>>340294027
Myiazaki had two choices.
To go out, find a woman, try his best and have his way with her or jerk off to his own reflection in the mirror. He chose the latter.
DS3 is just "see? Like in Demon's" and "See? Like in DS1" and also "DS2 was shit because I wasn't there right? Right?" with a bit of "Here, let me give you a taste of what Bloodborne is, next time buy a PS4 so you can be sure never to miss my games and keep giving me money".
I could name all the areas and enemies and animations that were just old things catered again to an audience of fanboys but I needn't: you all saw how many original sets were in the game and how many DS1 and DS2 sets there were. We're talking 30% new stuff which only has a 50% amount of actually diverse stuff and only half of that 50% is not heavily inspired from one of the other 4 game's armor. Same goes for weapons.
They sold us a game we already played with new descriptions and a horrible online.
They didn't change any description that regarded poise in the game, and later claimed it is working properly.
They mocked the fans for asking a more clear set of patch notes with an actual release date.
They took out essential parts of the lore to sell it as DLC for the 4th time, since it happened in DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne already.
I want my money back.
>>
>>340297807
> The part i was referring to when I said "it doesn't make any damn sense" is when people read OLDER literature and compare it to fucking Kafka, as if Kafka is the absolute original.
I think you've misunderstood. The Borges essay he talked about doesn't make it seem at all like Kafka is the "absolute original." It is openly about ideas he uses being done before him; the overall point is simply that such disparate authors and works, all of which dealing with things Kafka did after them, are more easily connected in our minds now that one author's works so purely embodied those elements. Putting it another way, it's not to make Kafka's uniqueness overblown, just to point out how his work dusted off a well used touchstone in literature for the rest of us to readily recognize.
>>
>>340298672
Yes I know it's the last in the Dark souls series.

Meaning BloodBorne could still get a sequel, fucking Demon Souls 2 could still come out, they could still make a new series in the same vain, or hell it could still be a new SOULS game just not DARK souls.
Demon souls and Dark souls are separate.
>>
File: ds.jpg (68 KB, 884x800) Image search: [Google]
ds.jpg
68 KB, 884x800
Dark Souls 2

>fans in denial until matthewmatosis video comes out, proceed to have a hissy fit over humanoid bosses and reliance on DS1 plot

Dark Souls 3

>Characters, areas, bosses and plot directly re-used from DS1
>Significant portion of the game takes place in Chalice dungeon-esque corridors
>Half the bosses are humanoids fought in a rectangular box
>fans love it
>>
>>340299005
Well put.
So wouldn't you agree that Dark souls is the same in terms of video game design?
That is essentially what the guy in the video is trying to say.
>>
>>340299517
I wouldn't agree to the same extent, and I'm rarely comfortable with overused "the X of Y" statements because inevitably it stops meaning the same thing generally, but he is right that it too has become a cultural device to which it's easy to refer to the "Soulsian." Cringed pretty hard every time he said it.
>>
>>340299447
>DS3 took everything from DS1, except the level design of the pre-lordvessel areas, which were the real fun of the game.
>Ds3 could have been great if they waited 1 more year and sold actually a new game.
>They released it in a pityful state and it's garbage
>There will never be a proper DS2 that everybody likes
>Community went from garbage to Stalin's anus.
>Everybody praises and defends this pile of shit
>>
File: 1464250239335.jpg (43 KB, 582x741) Image search: [Google]
1464250239335.jpg
43 KB, 582x741
>>340299005
I just don't see it. Instead of pointlessly using literature as a point of comparison (it seems to be like this is just an intellectual stunt to push the "games as art" agenda) he could actually be talking about the precursor games Souls has apparently synthesized and shed new light on. He could stick to the medium and discuss important things, but instead relies on cheap flimsy comparisons to hit all popular trends right now.

I like the Souls games, I do. I enjoy their gameplay and the world and the enemy and level design and all the rest, but I'm not deluding myself what the games really are. Souls is basically just Castlevania (in the SotN style) that made a successful transition to 3D unlike the games in the actual Castlevania franchise.

This whole thing about the symbolism and metaphors behind death, challenge, etc is hilarious to me. It's a bunch of wannabe artistic/critics types that swallowed the marketing train and believed it. The "difficulty and death" thing was a marketing campaign slogan from the beginning, the general populace bought into and these "intellectuals" have hilariously also been sold on something created in a thinktank to boost sales as a "deep" philosophical commentary or as a true re-invigoration of the medium.

There are interesting things to talk about in regards to the Souls series and commentary to make, but this guy and people like him don't really touch on it. At all. They are too sucked into the populist view points to actually think about something.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.