[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
University is the only good faction, Morganites get fucked or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 13
File: 1350321951168.jpg (78 KB, 800x602) Image search: [Google]
1350321951168.jpg
78 KB, 800x602
University is the only good faction, Morganites get fucked or vote for Ron Paul or whatever
>>
>>340268512
>bunch of unwashed, autistic STEMtards
>best faction
Nah, Morgan 4life
>>
File: 1453586532661.gif (782 KB, 303x346) Image search: [Google]
1453586532661.gif
782 KB, 303x346
that feel when you're drunk and make an smac thread and nobody cares
>>
>>340268863
enjoy cornering the energy market from your fucking brain prison, dickhead
>>
>>340268512
My favorites, from best to worst:
>1. Yang
>2. Morgan
>3. Zakharov
>4. Miriam
>5. Deidre
>6. Santiago
>7. Lel
>>
>>340269249
Switch Morgan and Zarkhov and I'm with you dude
>>
im up set and drunk, 4chan's /v/ board. why is it that youre like this after ive been browsing/posting since 2005. fuck dude
>>
>>340268878
watching anime drunk is fun desu especially if its some overly girlish moe shit
>>
>>340269513
i'm both girlish and moe in real life so this works out perfectly. i posted a vocaroo in aoth er thread saying smac was my favourite gam e and i think 3 guys just came on the spot it was hilarious

but also smac is my favourite game
>>
this wine tastes like vinegar and i still hate Miriam "Everything's Haraam" Godwinson a lo t
>>
i always freaked out at the 'beating a faction' cutscene. the brain prison is scary
>>
i'm just going to continue to post my favourite things about smac until i sober up:

planet busters have a great animation and an even better sound effect
>>
melting the ice caps is fun, manipulating weather patterns is fun. why do civ 5 & beyond earth have to be so fucking awful and a huge step back from even civ 4
>>
in short, modern firaxis sucks and its a tragedy that the main designer of SMAC worked at Zynga for a while and now I have no idea where he is frankly
>>
>>340270731
I hate how fucking useless planet busters are.

They're a great weapon, but using them on cities is usually a losing strategy since it doesn't leave anything to conquer, and if you use them you also piss off everyone (including Planet) so it's practically suicide unless you can already beat everyone, at which points you might as well beat them the normal way instead of nuking everything.
>>
File: 1368032367095.jpg (89 KB, 408x557) Image search: [Google]
1368032367095.jpg
89 KB, 408x557
>>340268512
Miriam best girl
>>
>>340270983
Go dissent somewhere else.
>>
>>340270983
fuck off! brain prison for you too honestrl ly !!!

>>340270963
agreed but also its just kind of fun to wipe tiles clean off the map, yo udon't get that in any civ-likes anymore
>>
File: 1405191677864.jpg (170 KB, 518x1442) Image search: [Google]
1405191677864.jpg
170 KB, 518x1442
>>340271024
>>
>>340270983
>she seems like a bible-thumping cunt at first
>in the long run she's probably the only reasonable leader
>>
>>340271052
to cont i inue this thought; stellaris needs planet busting weaopns. not to bust tiles on a planet, but to just completely break a planet. its not like they don't have the model in the game. there's a planet that can spawn as "the mistake" and its clearly shattered. that game is great and kinda hits some of the SMAC tone, but its a bit sterile otherwise. real fun game though
>>
>>340271202
i m just drunk and like space games. i love you /v/ and you've been great for the last 11 years for me, thank you .
>>
>>340271159
>In the course of a game declares war on everyone, except SOMEHOW the rival religious faction.
Tell me how that makes a lick of sense.
>>
>>340271159
miraiam also thought teleporters would steal your soul. sjes a shit \head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh-ZcdO5fe8
>>
File: le autistic scientist.jpg (66 KB, 355x455) Image search: [Google]
le autistic scientist.jpg
66 KB, 355x455
>>340270983
miriam? more like delirium
>>
>>340271345
how is this not equal to "i avoid cameras because th ey steal my soul" just way mre high tech, honestly
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDgXQPxzY8E

"searing burst of revelation" is a really fucking good line. fu c k, man. why does getting rd mr unk make my tits hurt
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB46XpnwhrA t his game was so fucking good
>>
>>340268878
that feel when youre hung over and want to have a SMAC thread
>>
>>340271786
hi my friend. welcome. who';s your f avourite leade.r
>>
File: 1372442732289.jpg (27 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
1372442732289.jpg
27 KB, 580x326
>>340270404
>you will never be lel and walk to santiago who is chained up underground to commit an atrocity on her
>>
>>340270963
Its a lot of fun. One time everyone was attacking me with needlejets and I just nuked those bases so they were out of range to use their needlejets.

they only got more pissed of at me
>>
>>340271823
story deidre or morgan
playstyle santaigo
>>
>>340272146
i love having an ise of the de ep fleet as the gaians desu
>>
So we all know Alien Crossfire sucked.
But which of the xpac factions was best?
And if your answer is neither Drones nor Cybernetics you're a fag.
>>
>>340269697
i forgot i didnt put the vocaro in this post http://vocaroo.com/i/s0icaC4IQhtb
>>
I hate this stupid "miriam is only decemt leader" meme. She isnt and you know it. You just want another hitler did nothing wrong type.

Yes she understands the dangers of technology. But so does lal. He comments on it in the man-machine tech. The difference is that lal understands the necessity of intellectual integrity. He knows the power of technology without tossing it out of the window all together. Meanwhile mirmiam is just so afraid of technology she denies everyone valueable insights just because she is afraid.

She is just as bad as the person she hates most. Zekharov is willing to toss humanity to the wolves if it means you can learn everything. Miriam is willing to take down scientists if it damages her religious structure. Whether it are religious fanatics that fuck you up, or a self-aware colony. It doesnt matter
>>
>>340272406
Data Angels.
>>
>>340272406
I dont get it how Xfire got through quality control. The alien factions were just terrible all around. They could have been super powerful but also with crippling drawbacks (like revealed map but no starting soldier, and bonus attack but worse defence). Instead they just made them stupidly OP.
And lets not mention the data angels

I like the sea faction even though its OP.
>>
>>340272625
The problem is nobody likes Lal.
>>
>>340272406
DRONES FUgfg\CK THE SEAPUNK DICKS
>>
>>340272808
Well it makes sense in singleplayer where everyone's always at war with you unless you're constantly giving away tech.
>>
i threw up all my wine, /v/. im sorry for my awful thread. iu hope you still like samc after this.
>>
God bless you, OP.
>>
>all those anons that died from drowning in their own vomit
RIP OP
>>
>>340275070
it s just me, the op. i am like the vast majority of the posts in this thread. my boobs hurt and i threw up on my cat but i just wanted to talk about smac. im so sorry
>>
>>340274376
We still love you anon
>>
>>340275137
how fat are you
>>
>>340275235
155lbs and 5'5, dude. but also they aren't mantits or whatever. i posted a voca r oo in this thread from a thread where some guy desperately wanted a voice to j/o to
>>
Do you think deidre has mind worm tentacle sex?
>>
>>340271345
>>340271396
>implying you don't die and it creates another "you" in it's place
dumb fedoreans
>>
>>340271345
It is obvious that this bulk matter transmitter failed at reconverting the light back to matter again.
>>
Ive read dune recently and its crazy how many things are taken from that
>random book quotes that are written in-universe
>worms fucking people up
>violent but rich planet
deception and fucking people up
>>
>>340275870
you know, i always th ou g ht the like, Ship Specter was metaphorical, considering the speech over it. i guess they could have gotten Scotty From That One Episode of TNGed
>>
>>340275870
how could you benefit from the secret project if it was a failure. Obviously it just glows a bit because it is still releasing energy it gained from the teleport
>>
>>340276441
It doesn't seem to be capable of transmitting living beings, though.
>>
>those euphorians defending Zakharov and Yang
>desperately arguing that the self aware colony just knocked those people out
How deluded do you have to be to demand everything be sponfeed to you and not understand implications?
Can't remember if it was /tg/, or /v/ though.
>>340276441
Maybe it was one of the initial prototypes? Maybe there is a chance of failure? If it was just glowing a bit it wouldn't float away into the fucking void.
>>
Matter Editation and the Secrets of Alpha Centauri point the way to one of the most celebrated concepts in science fiction—Matter Transmission. Transmitters based on this technology disassemble objects into the smallest component sub-particles, then transmits those particles and their underlying structural blueprint to a receiver. The receiver reassembles these objects according to the blueprint, recreating the original in every nuance and detail.

So the soul also gets remade at the other side of the portal.
>>
>>340276920
>If it was just glowing a bit it wouldn't float away into the fucking void.
the video is just miriam propaganda to keep her minions under control with terror and deceit
>>
>>340277052
t hey wi ll fu cking ENVER dissent and also i made sure my cat doesnt smell like vomit any more. i did.t
>>
>>340277052
>implying the believers are capable of making such a high quality video
>>
>>340272406

The Crossfire human factions would have been perfect function as city states that emerge after at least MY100.
>>
File: [cumming].jpg (463 KB, 1055x872) Image search: [Google]
[cumming].jpg
463 KB, 1055x872
>>340270983
>that feel when you send Miriam to the Punishment Sphere after slaughtering her people and razing their cities to the ground
>those screams
Fuck me I gotta play again.
>>
>>340269249
>No love for Gaians
>Miriam anywhere but rock bottom
... but why?
>>
>>340272625

Lal is a weak leader. We find out that his only significant motivation is to find a way to clone his dead wife so he can fuck her doppelganger. And there's obviously the subtext that he's a hypocrite in terms of human rights, at least eventually. And I'm just naturally suspicious that Saudis could ever respect western traditions of civil society.
>>
>>340277145
>during a weekday drunk woman living with cats
they have infiltrated us.activate project gamma.
>>
>>340277570

The devs obviously liked the Gaians and I think there's a strong implication that they're the canon victors for Transcendence.
>>
>>340271159
>This argument again
First of all, it's not even argument.
Second, what makes Miriam's morality better than morality of everyone else, aside of course people being brain-dead and buying her whinning about own inferior tech as anything else than looking for excuses why her faction is so backward
>>
>>340277709
>Devs
How about players? I mean... come on! Fluff wise, one of more interesting factions. Gameplay wise, pretty much game breaker without even trying
>>
>>340277465
>put city in a spot with a huge amount of food
>get ascetic values
>build punishment sphere
>shit out insane amount of minerals from that city since its 22 people working hard
>>
>>340272808

They really fucked it up, a pretty symptomatic tell is how you could get superweapons from escape pods which would just be ridiculously powerful early game allowing you to wipe out a neighbor with easy.

They really fucked it up with that one.

If I had to choose I guess I'd go with the viking faction
>>
>>340277694
my life is amazing, honestly. also who's they in this case. is it 27 year old women
>>
>>340276043

Also Tarkovsky's Solaris, and most clearly to me Nemesis by Asimov.
>>
>>340277853
so lar is is klite rally one of my favourite movies. god bless you for even mentioning it. soviet cinema, especially sci-fi, is absolutely amazing ho nel styg .
>>
>>340275571

Like all the leaders she's more interested in power than sex. Probably cycles through consorts on occasion or participates in an orgy once a month. Razorbeaks would be sex prohibitive.
>>
>>340272808
The only good things about Xfire is fixing bunch of bugs, adding Free Drones and all the Secret Projects that cut down on micro-management if build.
Everything else can burn.
>>
>>340277623
>We find out that his only significant motivation is to find a way to clone his dead wife so he can fuck her doppelganger
No. The pieces of text after research are there to develop the characters more as well as giving you some insight of how the society changes as science pushes further into the unknown. The quote of Lal is there to show that people that are just and you would expect to hold onto the moral values we have now are tempted to dabble in ethical scrupulous behaviour in order to get a loved one back.
>>
>>340277709
I'm not so sure. IIRC there are subtle implications that Deidre is fucked up. Also the video you get when you lose to transcendence.
>>
>>340277843
>. also who's they in this case
fujo
>>
>>340278087
I like the dumbass 'HUEHWHAH" sound the guy makes when the transcendence hits him
>>
>>340277853
>Tarkovsky's Solaris,
>>340277964
Ive watched the stalker movie and I didnt dig it. Is solaris like that?
>>
>>340278194
did you think we weren't here already dude. i've been here since 2005
>>
>>340277965
most dictators also have fucked up sex. Deidre wouldnt mind a roll in the wormpit I tell you
>>
>>340278087

Deidre being favored makes sense because she is the leader most attuned to planet, which is the thing that truly sets alpha centauri apart. Focusing on her is focusing on planet.
>>
>>340278312
solaris is more cerebral. its about encountering a genuine alien being with a completely different perception of reality (and also about dealing with loss, what family means, etc), just something completely incomprehensible to humans. if you find that concept interesting there's also a really really fun sci-fi novel in that vein: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embassytown
>>
anybody else use quotes from this game in school projects and teachers think you're so deep and cool when you were quoting a fucking video game
>>
File: Absolutely heretical.png (606 KB, 1185x1029) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely heretical.png
606 KB, 1185x1029
>>340278312
>There are people who watched Tarkovsky's Stalker and didn't dig it
>>
>>340278312

It's even slower.
>>
>>340278628
Not him, but I can respect his work and what he's done for cinema without being a particular fan.
>>
File: bf8.jpg (40 KB, 358x310) Image search: [Google]
bf8.jpg
40 KB, 358x310
>>340278628
>Dat fedora tipping
>>
>>340278628
>be in the middle of the zone
>suddenly a phone goes off
>the whole ending with that psy girl
the part where they get to the room and the guide has a breakdown was really good though
>>
>>340278628

I dunno, I didn't really enjoy it that much.
I see why people like it, but I'm not gonna pretend I enjoyed it to get creds on a basket weaving exchange
>>
>>340278760
Oh, then we have different definition of "digging it". It's not about being a fan, but about respecting them as what they did.
Plus Stalker is one of those films that blows you without any cheap twist or shocker. Then again, most people who saw it for past decade were brought to it by an FPS game. Mind you, I'm not questioning S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s quality, just... you know, fast pace, horror and being scared shitless is something so far away from Tarkovsky... or Strugatsky brothers for that matter.
>>
>>340278950
For me it was always the transition between b&w and suddenly getting colour. So simple, yet so fucking effective.
>>
prepare for spooky
https://youtu.be/Lva8L-J8x04
>>
>>340279239
>It's always Dream Twister
Alpha Centauri was a pretty spooky game overall.
wemustdissentwemustdissentWEMUSTDISSENT
>>
>>340279239
That t as. f ro ma M ovie called Baraka .b tw. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baraka_(film)
>>
>>340279624
A friend of mine told me about that years ago and I still haven't managed to watch it.
>>340279543
At least the Morganite narrated special projects are pretty cozy.
>>
>>340279809

Watch Baraka. If you pirate/stream, make sure it's high quality.
>>
>>340279809
i l li,mng.e the orangic usperlube q uot e to be honest.
>>
>>340279809
>Richard Baxton piloted his Recon Rover into a fungal vortex and held off four waves of mind worms, saving an entire colony. We immediately purchased his identity manifests and repackaged him into the Recon Rover Rick character with a multi-tiered media campaign: televids, touchbooks, holos, psi-tours-- the works. People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers.

>Some civilian workers got in among the research patients today and became so hysterical I felt compelled to have them nerve stapled. The consequence, of course, will be another public relations nightmare, but I was severely shaken by the extent of their revulsion towards a project so vital to our survival.

Not special projects, I know, but none of these folks are comfy.
>>
>>340279239
all those mindworm movies were spooky. Those things were pure terror
>>
>>340279936
I'm downloading it now, I'm in for a fucking treat now.
>>340280098
Yeah, the research quotes were fucking terrifying the further you got into the game. Fuck mind worms, I know Deidre did.
>>
>>340280315
ii; m excited for you friend. you should also give koyaqqastani a try if youn like baraka!!!!!
>>
is this civilization 4?
>>
Here's a classic:
>We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?
>Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7. Activity recorded M.Y. 2302.22467. (TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED)
>>340279239
>mary had a little lamb, little lamb little lamb, mary had a little lamb, whose fleece was white as snow
>Assassins' Redoubt Final Transmission
Assassins' Redoubt, of course, is a Spartan base.
An entire city of people.
>>340280315
>As the writhing, teeming mass of mindworms swarmed over the outer perimeter, we saw the defenders recoil in horror. "Stay calm! Use your flame guns!" shouted the commander, but to no avail. It is well know that the Mind Worm Boil uses psychic terror to paralyze its prey, and then carefully implants ravenous larvae into the brains of its still-conscious victims. Even with the best weapons, only the most disciplined troops can resist this horrific attack.
>Symbols are the key to telepathy. The mind wraps its secrets in symbols; when we discover the symbols that shape our enemy's thought, we can penetrate the vault of his mind.
To Deidre's credit, at least she wanted to remove eggs from the equation.
>>
>>340280315
>>Yeah, the research quotes were fucking terrifying the further you got into the game. Fuck mind worms, I know Deidre did.
that was the best part of the game. At first you just push tech to the point we are now. But then you start manipulating DNA more, start getting nano technology, cyborgs and get mindworm research.

Like the Bioenhancement_Center

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled.
But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

—Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Also psi gates

Go through, my children! The time of miracles is upon us. Let us cast off sin and walk together to the Garden of the Lord. With God’s mercy we shall meet again on the other side.

—Sister Miriam Godwinson,
“Last Testament”

yes as soon as it fits her needs she accepts teleportation tech
>>
>>340280660
Well to be fair to Miriam the other method of teleportation was just matter transmission, which could mean that your original atoms were destroyed, fed into a computer, and the data vomited out specific atoms at the other side.
Psi is actually fucking with your brain so who knows what that shit is all about.
>And what of the immortal soul in such transactions? Can this machine transmit and reattach it as well? Or is it lost forever, leaving a soulless body to wander the world in despair?
>>
>>340280613
>>340280660
PYRRHOmind
>inb4 TERMINATION OF SPECIMENS
>>
>>340280978
>the inhabitants of research project "4chan" seem to have developed a hivemind as expected. However some users seem aware of it. The CIA cell leading this research suggests termination, but the grand unit of PC (population control) wants to keep it running for a bit longer

-research report to majestic 12 - datalinks
>>
File: MJ12HandVersaLife.png (590 KB, 555x683) Image search: [Google]
MJ12HandVersaLife.png
590 KB, 555x683
>>340281276
>Addendum: Efforts in getting them to stop comparing MJ12's logo with Samus' ass remain ongoing
>>
>>340281643
ah yes
>>
>>340280869
you get both from the same research
>>
>>340282035
Whoops.
I suppose that's even more jarring. She might be advocating spiritual genocide. Maybe, like with the Spartans, it shows the Believers as one of the canon losers?
>>
File: 1434190844945.png (202 KB, 268x320) Image search: [Google]
1434190844945.png
202 KB, 268x320
Pls date me OP I like chubs
>>
>>340283110
I'm sorry dude im ma;rried I'm not gonna cu/ c k my w. Ife for 4chan dick
>>
>>340270963
Planet Busters are awesome.
They're not weapons of conquest or intimidation.
They're utterly, completely weapons of total destruction.
You use them if you're about to lose.
You use them if the enemy is too well defended.
You use them if you don't give a fuck about owning their territory.
You use them if someone really, really pissed you off.

None of those yellow pissclouds of 'oh no radiation, better get a broom' of later civs, planetbusters actually lived up to their name and just wiped out cities, often sinking them and their surrounding area in the ocean and permanently changing the terrain (and following that, the weather patterns of the area).
>>
>>340284158
>often sinking them and their surrounding area in the ocean and permanently changing the terrain (and following that, the weather patterns of the area).
this was the best shit ever. Creating a lake by just blasting a city so hard the ground is fucked 400m into the ground is the best idea ever. Imagine if a modern civ would have weather changing but then more precise rather than just mountains
>>
>>340285591
>Imagine if a modern civ
That would require effort.
>>
>>340277623
>We find out that his only significant motivation is to find a way to clone his dead wife so he can fuck her doppelganger.
It's a metaphor you retard.
>>
>>340285710
I know. But doesnt hurt to dream

>create lake in arid land
>suddenly it gives very bountiful harvests
>stem a river a city is built on
>city goes to shit
The mountain thing was nice but a bit simplistic. Also the effort required to change land was way more than what you gained for it. It was pretty much impossible to drive a city into hunger by making the land more arid
>>
File: svensgaard2.png (296 KB, 800x956) Image search: [Google]
svensgaard2.png
296 KB, 800x956
>>340272406
>So we all know Alien Crossfire sucked.
>>
>>340286630
>lets give a guy a lot of time without being contested on a place that probably has more area than any landmass

that moment when you hit the geothermal pools for insane energy though
>>
>>340286630
Well of course you'd complain, Sven.
At least your faction had a unique premise, even if the execution was ass and there was basically no reason for it whatsoever.
I enjoy playing with the xpac, but it just doesn't add anything good to what was already basically perfect.
Fucking Sven god damn I hate you so much get the fuck out of my oceans you fucking ass fucking fuck you
Cha and Roze were pretty awful too.
>>
>>340288027
Then:
>game's perfect at release
>expansions are essentially not needed to enjoy the game

Now:
>game is complete shit on release
>several expansions to include even the basic stuff
>>
>>340288352
Nigga I've been playing Stellaris for weeks now, you don't have to tell me twice.
I don't even want to know how bad things really are, I'm still dealing with what I've got.
Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.