[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ive been tired of all the sonic threads lately in the last month
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16
File: latest[1].jpg (787 KB, 1920x1338) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
787 KB, 1920x1338
Ive been tired of all the sonic threads lately in the last month or whatever. but it made me realize ive never actually played one of the games. I entered a few threads and it seemed to be by unanimous vote that this game, sonic 3 and knuckles, is the crowning gem of the series. So i downloaded a genesis emulator, SONIC 3 COMPLETE, and got to playing.

This is one of the worst games ive ever played. Everything after the first level is COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT. There is next to no speed and a majority of my playtime is just running into offscreen enemies or coming to a screeching halt by walls and/or spikes. I hold down and a to roll into a ball to get my speed back and what happens 5 seconds later? Same shit. Is this really the fucking pinnacle and height of sonic the hedgehog? This game sucks my hairy ass. Is there any sonic games that are actually fucking fast and move at good speeds?
>>
git gud
>>
>>340250892
This, it's easy to be fast in Sonic 3.
>>
>>340250892
>>340251129
Can a sonic autist offer a real answer or should i just not bother and steer clear of this autistic mess of a franchise? How are these shitty games so popular if you spend 10:90 of the time going fast and the other just getting hit and getting stopped dead?
>>
File: U'reSuchADummy.jpg (125 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
U'reSuchADummy.jpg
125 KB, 1200x1200
>>340250775
>he thinks good Sonic is holding right to win and FAST

Gotta have reaction time. Sonic can move quickly, but at its core, S3K is still just a really good platformer with excellent level design that complements the control and momentum-based physics extremely well. It also has one of the all-time great video game soundtracks.
>>
>>340251326
The series real focus is being a good platformer, speed is rewarded to you after you learn the courses and get good, it's as simple as it sounds.
>>
>>340251641
Pretty much this.
When will people stop treating classic Sonic like it's about going fast, and not just a very good platformer with solid physics?
>>
OP you just need to get good
>>
Sonic 3 is trash.

Sonic 2 is the gold standard of Sonic games.
>>
File: Mario3.png (140 KB, 1106x900) Image search: [Google]
Mario3.png
140 KB, 1106x900
Ive been tired of all the mario threads lately in the last month or whatever. but it made me realize ive never actually played one of the games. I entered a few threads and it seemed to be by unanimous vote that this game, super mario bros 3, is the crowning gem of the series. So i downloaded an NES emulator, MARIO BROS 3, and got to playing.

This is one of the worst games ive ever played. Everything after the first level is COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT. There is next to no speed and a majority of my playtime is just running into offscreen enemies or coming to a screeching halt by pipes and/or bottomless puts. I hold B and build up the P Meter to get my speed back and what happens 5 seconds later? Same shit. Is this really the fucking pinnacle and height of mario? This game sucks my hairy ass. Is there any mario games that are actually fucking fast and move at good speeds?
>>
>>340252153
SUPER MARIO WORLD is better though.
>>
>>340251641
Ive been playing fighting games since I was 15. I dont think my reaction times are the issue and Id say theyre above the average persons/gamers. If taking that and playing CS into consideration. The game has little platforming and whats there is very basic. Its mostly a lot of walls or short jumps over things that dont matter because theres always another layer to catch you so death is rare. The physics suck ass, starting to walk takes forever and if you roll sometime theres a delay in jumping for whatever reason and especially when you need it most (before a wall, or enemy etc). Believe me i know sonic has good music. I dont play sonic and yet have almost every soundtrack from him downloaded. The only good songs in this game are angel island, hydrocity, and flying battery. The instruments they wanted to simulate are way beyond whatever the genesis was capable of playing and it all sounds like a fart with wild drums playing in the background. There is next to nothing this game does right, why is it so beloved? Sonic fans cant explain it and just get offended when you criticize this game it seems.

>>340251741
Already went over this, its not a good platformer. Its a stop-and-start with shit controls and slow startup times.

>>340252035
Is that one any faster than this? I hear 3D Sonic is terrible but I cant trust anything I hear anymore since this "gem" is apparently one of the best games of all time and the best sonic game. 2D or 3D, I'm open for anything thats actually fast. My favorite sonic soundtracks are sonic cd (english version), sonic adventure 1 and 2, heroes, and unleashed. Any of these good?
>>
>>340252304
Get good.
>>
To any current and future get good posters, youre not getting (You)s out of me. Either discuss the game, bait better, or kindly fuck off. Retro sonic fags are beyond autistic
>>
File: sonic amy.png (266 KB, 368x292) Image search: [Google]
sonic amy.png
266 KB, 368x292
>>340252304
Don't play Sonic because you want to go really fast, play F-Zero. Play Sonic if you want a simple, easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master platformer who's complex physics give it a very high skill ceiling compared to it's competitors.
>>
>>340252304
Generations, Sonic Colors, and the day stages of Unleashed are where sonic gets pretty good in 3D. Most every other 3D game he's been in is not really great.
>>
>>340252035
Only the first half of Sonic 2 is good, the special stages range from piss easy to memorize everything or you're fucked, and the game suffers from poor enemy and object placement in certain areas.
>>
>>340252498
Thanks for bringing that up. Im also an avid fzero fan and GX is one of my top 5 gamecube games. I dont enjoy the physics nor level design very much in the sonic 3 and knuckles game. Most of the game is wading through shallow obstacles in the form of enemies/platforms or literally waiting for something to open up to continue ahead.

>>340252568
Thats a shame to hear. I actually love the character design of sonic and the concepts of going fast in colorful landscapes with great music but the games dont properly convey this, perhaps because of technical limitations. Generations sounds tight but Im not a big fan of the music in colors. I'll have to buy sonic generations then when the summer steam sale starts up or theyre on a humble bundle.
>>
>>340252498
>a simple, easy-to-learn, difficult-to-master platformer who's complex physics give it a very high skill ceiling compared to it's competitors.

This right here is why Sonic games are good and got popular. The only reason people think the appeal is in GO REALLY FAST is because that was easier to show off in the commercials.

Nothing in the game tells you to run at top speed at all times. You would not judge any other platformer by how fast you're able to complete the levels. You just think that's how you have to enjoy Sonic because you have this preconceived notion that's what Sonic does. You are not judging the game based on it's own merits, you are judging it from unrealistic expectations you developed from a marketing campaign and meme
>>
>>340252568
I think Colors fucking sucks, but setting that aside, it's really not fast at all. If he wants fast, Colors will not deliver. It has probably the slowest and most generic and blocky platforming of the series.
It's also barely 3D.
>>
>>340252812
>Most of the game is wading through shallow obstacles in the form of enemies/platforms or literally waiting for something to open up to continue ahead.

If you take the lowest paths, yes. You have to take advantage of the physics and layout of the slopes and gimmicks in the stage to stay on the highest path, which is much more open
>>
>>340252568
Also whats wrong with the night stages in sonic unleashed? The -night- versions of the music sound AMAZING. Just fucking flawless and so beautiful.

>>340252959
Then sonic is definitely not for me because the slope shit is a pain in the ass to manage and I dont care for the intricate physics it has. Not downplaying them, they are certainly impressive for the console theyre on, but as a game feature/mechanic they do nothing for me and actually piss me off sometimes. I stopped playing SONIC 3 COMPLETE after flying battery. I dont have it in me to slog through any more shitty levels for today but I will beat it tomorrow.
>>
>>340253138
>Also whats wrong with the night stages in sonic unleashed?
Werehog a shit
>>
>>340253205
I have zero idea what you just said family
>>
This is not a racing game, OP.
>>
>>340253138
>Also whats wrong with the night stages in sonic unleashed?

You turn into a werewolf and the game changes to a completely different gameplay style where you grab onto ledges and beat up enemies and its shit. And it only exists because the Daytime stages go by so quickly they needed to pad out the game.
>>
>>340253329
Does it have combos and platforming and shit or do you just whack enemies with one move? I think thats a fair trade off. I know I certainly wouldnt pay $60 for a 2-3 hour game. If beating shit up at night is the cost of going fast in the day I dont think its that bad of a trade off.
>>
>>340252304
Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Rush, and Sonic Rush Adventure are pretty fast as far as the 2D games go, but they are very much speedrun focused games where you have to have a good idea of the layouts of the levels to do well, and if you don't, you WILL be running into enemies and whatever you absolutely could not see coming (if you think this happened with anything resembling a frequency trying to hold right to win in Sonic 3 & Knuckles, you haven't seen shit).
They are all real fucking fun to go fast in though.
>>
>>340253852
Sonic Colors DS too.
>>
>>340250775
>Everything after the first level is COMPLETE FUCKING SHIT.

It only gets better, what are you smoking
>>
>>340252304
>Its mostly a lot of walls or short jumps over things that dont matter because theres always another layer to catch you so death is rare.
If you want a lot more instant death pits, play Sonic Rush instead. It's filled to the brim with them and worse for it. It also shows what happens when developers fall for the speed meme, every complaint you have about running into hazards is fifty times worse because Sonic moves so much faster on such a small screen.

Enemies and stage hazards like spikes and fireballs are the danger for the majority of the game, which tones the difficulty down considerably compared to having bottomless pits everywhere, but it makes the game less frustrating and way more fun as a result.

>starting to walk takes forever and if you roll sometime theres a delay in jumping for whatever reason and especially when you need it most (before a wall, or enemy etc)
The jumping delay happens at the very beginning of the roll. Like, the wall/enemy would have to be on-screen for you to get fucked by that delay, it's that brief. And if they're on-screen, you know they're right in front of you, so why the fuck would you spindash into them unless it's an enemy that can be killed with the spindash, making the jumping delay a non-issue?

>The only good songs in this game are angel island, hydrocity, and flying battery
I don't like the Sonic 3 version of the invincibility theme. Also Death Egg Act 1 has a really grating sound at 25 seconds in that ruins it for me that Act 2 doesn't have. Other than that, the entire rest of the soundtrack - the ENTIRE rest of the soundtrack, from the title screen, to all the menus, to every act for every zone, to all the boss themes, both of the credits themes, all the multiplayer levels, both versions of Knuckles' theme, all the bonus stages, every one of the various little jingles... ALL of it is at the very least great, and the majority of it is fucking outstanding.
>>
>>340253769
It has combos and platforming but it's really low rent, it's not done well. You will be frustrated at enemies stunlocking you and falling off into bottomless pits because you couldn't gauge how far away a platform was or how far your grab reaches.
>>
How can you have a hard time getting speed in the easiest Classic Sonic game to get speed?

Holy shit, neck yourself.
>>
>>340253852
As long as the default speed of the game is actually going fast. I dont mind going blindingly fast and then dying. Id rather have that just stopping in front of a wall and then slowly restarting to gain speed all over again. Sounds good though

>>340254169
Meh, as long as it knows its roots and has some platforming or exploring or shit to collect I dont mind. I really doubt enemies are as nefarious as you make them out to be or the platforming is that difficult. Sonic is not a hard series. Just a tedious and misleading one apparently
>>
File: old.jpg (498 KB, 984x1312) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
498 KB, 984x1312
To address your issue about the speed, speed is a reward for playing well, its not just given to you for free. The skill index in the game is how well you know the level and what path you think you can take. Don't expect to be able to just hold right and win like you previously though, take time to learn the level and appreciate the styles between each zone.

100 rings is a life so not getting hit requires either patience and careful play at the cost of speed, or knowledge of an efficient route to take. Its a game that's meant to be replayed with new things discovered each time. I know such a concept is foreign to you anon but this is what video games are about.
>>
>a majority of my playtime is just running into offscreen enemies or coming to a screeching halt by walls and/or spikes

The only stage I recall having bad enemy/hazard placement is Marble Garden because the stuff seem to just pop up randomly with no rhyme or reason. On every other stage I can get through just fine and maintain speed while I'm at it, and when I get stopped by a wall it's usually because there's a platforming section ahead and if the game didn't stop me before I would probably fall off. But if I want I can use momentum to get through the platforming section faster and just keep going, no big deal.

I honestly think it's a decent change of pace, if a game is just 100% constantly fast or constantly slow I would probably grow bored of it sooner or later. Although I'm pretty sure Sonic being fast or slow outside of those automatic sections most of the time depends on your ability to maintain your momentum while you deal with the obstacles.
>>
>>340252304

>fighting games since I was 15

anon, your reflexes are probably shit. everyone who likes Sonic has been playing since they were 4-6.
>>
>>340250775

See this is the problem with you dipshits who never played an earlier Sonic game. Yeah there are sections of the stages were you go fast and you can go fast if you have some skill or even some knowledge of the layout of the level, but by and large old Sonic games were about platforming, not going fast all the time.

>inb4 but the platforming is shit

I'm pretty sure you're just shit at platforms, m8
>>
>>340250775

Oh man, I can't wait for this faggot to get to Carnival Night Zone
>>
>>340250775
The thing about Sonic games is that it is one of those series, like Pokemon or Animal Crossing, that isn't very good but the concept is so imaginative and appealing that, if it interests you, you will find a way to MAKE yourself have fun playing these games. I say this with admiration, because some of the greatest and most popular video games are like this.

It's very common for people to say Sonic games are nearly unplayable when they're playing them for the first time (I did the same when I was 12) just like Pokemon R/B got mediocre reviews when it was first released and retro PC gamers shat on popular old-school Nintendo games.

Some people say Sonic is about speed, some say it's about platforming, some like to explore the levels and get all the emeralds; the point is they found a way to have fun with a game that offers enough variety to allow different styles of play. If you can't have fun playing Sonic, jokes on you, that's what you get for playing a game you had little interest in.
>>
>>340255180
>this is what video games are about.

You mean, what videogames WERE about, now by and large most games just hand you everything on a silver platter and a free blowjob thrown in.
>>
>>340250775
>summerfag has never played a Sonic game before in his life
no surprise here
>>
File: 7kxSiRT.jpg (610 KB, 1851x2464) Image search: [Google]
7kxSiRT.jpg
610 KB, 1851x2464
Do underage fags realise how fucking stupid they sound to oldfags when they criticise an old game?

You're inexperience and stupidity is not the game's problem.

Git gud or fuck off.
>>
I'm probably the only person who hated Sonic as a kid because I "couldn't go fast" and when I played it later as an adult I ended up enjoying it. It's not even a complicated game to get into; if you see a slope you should roll and Sonic will go faster while he kills enemies that may be on the way to get you offscreen, if you're walking your jump won't reach that far but if you're running you can make some pretty big leaps, especially with spin dashing before jumping.

There were probably a couple of times I got hit from offscreen shit I couldn't see coming, but this kind of stuff happened occasionally in a lot of other platformers too, even some Mega Man and DKC games. Even then, the ring system was made specifically so getting hit like that didn't completely break your pace, you get at least one ring and it's cool, you're ready to go.
>>
>>340257083
This feels really nice to read for some reason, great job anon
>>
>>340257083
>The thing about Sonic games is that it is one of those series, like Pokemon or Animal Crossing, that isn't very good
How so?
Explain.
>>
>>340250775
is not ripe for fanfiction so is objectively a bad sonic game
>>
I love Sonic and all, especially classic Sonic but fucking christ I wish Sega would remember they have other IPs under their belt than Sonic and Phantasy Star Online.

Where's a new Golden Axe or Altered Beast or Fantasy Zone or Space Harrier?
>>
>>340258162
I was gonna say Skies of Arcadia or Streets of Rage.
>>
>>340258162
Did you already forget this shit.
>>
>>340258162
Same here but there's a legit reasoning.

The hat shit won't sell and Sega won't hire anyone who do anything with those series.

Hell, they can be the one company to just hire fans to do all their older IPs especially Streets of Rage when can just use the Remake game that was C&D and sell that for like $10.

Plus when you're a company that had money problems for like 3 times and the only thing that can sell is Sonic, Football Manager, Project Diva and Phantasy Star, could you blame them?
>>
>>340258510

No I didn't, that's why I want them to take another crack at the series except ya know, actually keep it a 2D beat-em-up with multiple playable characters, they still can sell.
>>
>>340258162
I really liked the digital approach sega went for a few years ago. Hell yeah! and renegade ops are fucking great. They tried a new ip big budget from the yakuza team, binary domain, and looked what happen. People thought it was to japanese, bad and it sold 20k its first month.

Isnt it kind of silly to expect a company with money problems to suddenly made random sequels to shit everyones forgotten? You fags who ask for this shit seriously need to get some perspective. The only thing from back then that MIGHT do well today would be a jet set radio and nights sequel because those have more modern appeal and flair to them. Fantasy zone, golden axe, altered beast...this shit is fucking done and from an era you probably didnt even exist in.
>>
>>340258564
>The hat shit won't sell and Sega won't hire anyone who do anything with those series.

I dunno why Sega doesn't get Atlus to make new Phantasy Star JRPGs considering the literally own them.
>>
>>340258564

You'd think they could at least throw us a bone and release Revenge of Death Adder on Steam/PSN/XBLA. How much could it possibly cost?
>>
Sega has never been about reusing the same old concept multiple times. Even their cash cow franchises like Sonic and Phantasy Star are constantly reinventing themselves.

I really have to wonder why you are a Sega fan in the first place if you ignore new experimental IPs and just want a retro Streets of Rage.

We wouldn't even have IPs like Crazy Taxi, Skies of Arcadia, Valkyria Chronicles and NiGHTs if Sega had spent all those years trying to rehash their old Genesis IPs for the 3D age. Come on guys
>>
>>340258809
Streets of Rage is probably the only one from that era they can bring back.

There's still a presence for a game like that and the fans are known and still there.

Same with JSR, Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue and Nights. But SoR is the ONLY franchise left from the Genesis Era they can use.
>>
>>340258809
>and from an era you probably didnt even exist in.

Look just because YOU'RE an underage faggot doesn't mean everyone else is. That said, Conan the Barbarian shit is pretty out of vogue.
>>
File: PS2_Altered_Beast_Cover.jpg (54 KB, 348x500) Image search: [Google]
PS2_Altered_Beast_Cover.jpg
54 KB, 348x500
>>340258162
No one who is responsible for those games even still works there, they would hand it off to another dev team and it would come out shit.

What the hell is with the Sega double standard for IPs? Hey, Dig Dug was a great classic arcade game, I'm gonna complain every day on /v/ that Namco isn't making new Dig Dug games
>>
>>340259037
Yeah, I don't understand why they can't at the very least port more of their shit.

>>340259067
What about Gunstar Heroes?
>>
>>340259315

>Gunstar Heroes

Not him but isn't that owned by Treasure? That said, I would fucking love more Gunstar Heroes.
>>
>>340258852
Hell, they should resurrect Shining Force series.

Especially when Fire Emblem is hot as ever. You can make something big with those franchises. Although Sega and Atlus haven't done anything together.

At most it's just publishing stuff. Everything else they are separated. Sega-Sammy also owns Compile Trash but I never see fans asking the Neptunia devs to make a Phantasy Star game.

>>340259061
I think it's less of wanting to rehash something but just to let it not be squandered and forgotten in the end. If it was a once in a blue moon thing and it'll work.

Sega can still be original as hell and unique and still go back to their old shit that isn't Sonic. We just want our favorite series to not be forgotten and to atleast give it a second chance.

Hell Streets of Rage was supposed to get a Dreamcast game until Bernie Stolar fucked it up
>>
>>340259061
>Even their cash cow franchises like Sonic and Phantasy Star are constantly reinventing themselves.

And that's why nobody likes them anymore except for furfags for Sonic and only Japan for Phantasy Star, tho it would fucking help if they released the goddamn game over in the West.
>>
>>340259067
A few years ago and Id agree but arcade beat em ups...i just dont know anymore. Action games are a natural evolution from beat em ups and games like dragons crown had rpg elements with lots of loot tacked on so you could keep upgrading gear. What was the last pure somewhat relevant beat em up to come out? double dragon neon? no one gave a shit about that. SOR2 is legendary but the demand just is really never there...and no 10 guys on 4chan trying to brag out their hipster cred isnt enough demand to start production on a sequel. Skies of arcadia i can see working very well and they still have overworks and reiko kodama. Already mentioned jsr and nights being doable. Shemue 3 is happening and yakuza is again kind of an evolution of shenmue. I also forgot VC which is getting a spin off, even if it looks meh

>>340259061
This is very important to consider to. People are pissed at sonic because each game has several new concepts. Only otaku weeaboo virgins like pso2 since its such a far cry from what pso and psu were. Sega has always been, like it or not, about innovation and kickstarting new series in tandem with quiet sequels to old games or rereleases.

After burner climax and outrun online were a thing and no one gave a fuck until they lost rights to the ferrari and tomcat licenses and took them down for sale. But if they sold enough then they would easily have no problem with keeping the license. Its very clear that theyve put forth a great effort into trying new things and people dont buy into it. Fuck em theyre saying. Heres some PC series, sonic, miku, yakuza, and phantasy star, we tried. And they just threw the towel
>>
>>340259315
>>340259446
Sega owns Gunstar Heroes but I can't trust ANYONE to make a Treasure game without those guys.

Gunstar Heroes is perfect for one but they gotta find the perfect devs for it and there aren't anyones out there that make games like those outside of the Hard Corp's Uprising team
>>
>>340259582
>Compile Trash but I never see fans asking the Neptunia devs to make a Phantasy Star game.
>Compile Trash

I think you answered your own question. Atlus is at least CAPABLE of making good JRPGS.
>>
>>340259734
Treasure still exists. They could just get Treasure to do it. They did it before on the GBA.
>>
>>340259734

>but they gotta find the perfect devs for it

M2? They made Contra and Castlevania Rebirth? Or ya know, Treasure after they stop making Geist Crusher or whatever the fuck they're doing now.
>>
File: 1463840285713.jpg (44 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1463840285713.jpg
44 KB, 960x1280
>>340250775
>There is next to no speed and a majority of my playtime is just running into offscreen enemies or coming to a screeching halt by walls and/or spikes
What, Hydrocity and Marble Garden? How did you manage to go so slow in those levels? Even the water sections are the fastest in the Sonic Genesis trilogy.

>I hold down and a to roll into a ball to get my speed back
Technically, rolling doesn't increase your speed, it just can build up momentum on slopes. It's not a boost button like in the later games.

Never really understood how people have such a hard time with Sonic. I understood the gameplay mechanics when I was like.. 8, and rarely found myself running into enemies (except for clutterfucks like Spring Yard or those fucking Bubbles enemies in Marble Garden).

Sonic can't be -that- hard of a platformer, can it? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>340259807
Didn't Treasure filed for bankruptcy and shut down this year. I remember hearing about that or was that someone else
>>
>>340259930
No.
>>
>>340259930
>Didn't Treasure filed for bankruptcy and shut down this year.

Oh cunting shit, they better not have
>>
>>340258564
>>340258809

I mean it's not like they have to make them huge AAA wankfests. Can't devs do fucking Middle-market budgets anymore? Fuck, release them on Steam even, there's tons of nostalgiafags on there.
>>
>>340259921
People get absorbed by the GOTTA GO FAST meme and think it should be all speed all the time when speed was never the main focus of Sonic and get upset when you can't run into things.

What made Sonic good to as Speed+Momentum+Platforming because the game rewards you with speed. Hell the Adventure games even did that but its combination of that meme and just its reputation just hurts it. Hell I know people who believe every Sonic game is the equivalent of Sonic 06
>>
>>340260239
>when speed was never the main focus of classic Sonic
ftfy

Speed is pretty obviously the focus in something like Rush (look at the title for fuck's sake) or Unleashed.
>>
>>340260232
Its hard to compete anymore because game sales all around are dropping. Even the infallible cod is getting lower and lower interest and preorders each year. The top dogs are ea, activision, and ubisoft who have very popular mainstream brands and can afford tons of marketing. Everyone else is simply fighting for the 10-20% that they dont own. Money and bills come before creativity and rebirths. Thats just how it is
>>
>>340260547
I dunno, I think something like a Jet Set Radio Future port would sell fairly well.
>>
>>340250775
>Blindlessly trying to go fast in certain sections on the first playthrough
Your fault. You should only go fast in certain sections where it's clearly indicated. If you just use the spindash randomly you're going to get hit. Try slowing down, you'll find it more enjoyable
>>
>>340260639
If jsr dc sold off the charts then theyd have no problem going through with it. Its caught up in some type of yellow tape. Either with microsoft or music licensees. They will pay to restore ownership if they know if it make money
>>
>>340258809

If fucking GAUNTLET could get a successful remake why couldn't any of the IPs listed?
>>
>>340260771
>licensing issue with music
Shit, that's probably true.

>They will pay to restore ownership if they know if it make money
I dunno dude, Sega is notoriously terrible with business decisions.
Even stuff that should be obvious like porting the Sonic 1 and 2 mobile remakes to other platforms escapes them somehow.
>>
>>340252464
Git gud is an abreviation for: "learn the game mechanics and get better scores before you blindly shit on a game for reasons that anyone who is good at that certain game will laugh at."

Once you get out of that scrub barrier you will deserve to be treated as a thinking person who can sustain an insightful discussion.
>>
How self absorbed do you have to be in order to be the one guy who doesn't like a classic game that's been praised and analyzed for two decades, quit after 20 minutes, and think to yourself "I'm the only one being reasonable, everyone else is brainwashed"
>>
>>340250775
Learn how to abuse the rolling mechanic at the right times.

Learn how to moon jump.

Learn how horizontal and vertical momentum can be transferred to one another.

Explore.

Spin dash, don't just hold right.

Learn how to use the instashield.
>>
>>340257158
Well, it's from fucking 1994. If you don't like how video games were before you born, then fuck off and play some cinematic third person shooter.
>>
Id love to see a vid of all these "pro" players who suck this games dick to the ends of the earth. To see if theyre bandwagon hoppers or actually good at the game and can display what they mean
>>
File: 15_valletalk.jpg (30 KB, 640x200) Image search: [Google]
15_valletalk.jpg
30 KB, 640x200
>>340252304
>fighting games
>reflexes
>>
>>340262861
you don't need to be a "pro" to not be a retard
>>
>>340262861
>need to be a hardcore video game pro to not suck shit at classic Sonic
are you serious?
>>
>>340263184
>>340263563
waiting for your videos, autists. your expert 25 second run of emerald hill doesnt cut it either. lets see you just zoom through flying battery or lava reef.
>>
File: confused_asuka.gif (145 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
confused_asuka.gif
145 KB, 300x188
>>340263747
>if you don't post a video of you zooming through these specific parts of these specific games then that proves how bad these games are!
Summer can't end soon enough
>>
>>340263876
you posting buzzwords and epic reaction pics still doesnt sync up. why are you so scared to display your mad skillz? dont you use every second of life to play and defend this game as a holy grail? 12 year olds on youtube are able to record footage now from their pcs, surely a genius and skilled tactician of your level can figure it out too?
>>
>>340262861
It's not about being "pro", you just get gradually good like you would any other game & learn ways to gain the speed you're yearning for after memorizing the layout of the map & getting at least a basic understanding of the controls.
>>
>>340263996
just like 3D sonic games then right? im glad we can agree on that then.
>>
>>340263947
>posting buzzwords
What buzzwords? If you're confused, I'll explain for you in more detail so you can learn the techniques.
>>
>>340264108
Pretty much, the thing is though Classic Sonic has a better learning curve I would argue due to the physics and level design accompanying it.
>>
>>340264197
such as "summer cant end enough!"

what is so hard with recording a 3 minute video on your pc? why is this such a struggle for you? let me see the amazing flow and use of physics you can muster up, show a bad player what could be achieved with enough practice.
>>
>>340264296
So, you can't read?
>>
>>340264261
and i would argue 3D sonic has very fine physics outside of heroes/render engine games and levels being in 3D so you can see whats coming up ahead. guess well just have to disagree then.
>>
>>340262687

I was complaining about how games are too easy now and give you everything, dude. Reading comprehension.
>>
>>340264404
i can read very well and now im going go further and read between the lines. youre garbage at the game you waste your time on the internet defending because youre unable to provide footage of your mad in depth technical skills that an "expert" like you would have. the end result? you dont care for the game. youre stuck in dissonance where you just have to defend it because everyone else does and dont want to go against the grain. youre also presumably a white beta. im done with you fuckboy. deliver and step up or quietly fuck off.
>>
>>340264554
So you don't want me to explain the techniques to you?
>>
>>340264579
xd le git guuuuuud!!! xd

explain them in a video if youre so competent otherwise fuck off
>>
>>340264626
Jesus, you must be so butthurt at this point that you are either pretending to be retarded or shaking in rage.
That anon is offering you advice to get good at the game, he is not being smug about how you're terrible at it.

With a post like this alone >>340262495 you'll be able to become marginally better at the game.
>>
File: Sonic Physics.webm (3 MB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Sonic Physics.webm
3 MB, 400x320
>>340264409
I'm not saying the 3D games inherently have bad physics, depends on the games (like I would say Adventure has good fun physics, I like Generations & Color stuff also) but I will say while you have a front view of stuff to see what's coming ahead it's easier to teach others how to play the game since 2D is simply more basic than 3D. In 3D you have to put into consideration all the directions you can go & others can come from while in 2D it's just Up, down, left & right. Plus the 3D games while trying to give similar vibes to the originals are pretty much dramatically different games due to the modernization & 3D gameplay. It's like trying to compare Super Mario Bros.3 to Super Mario 64, sure they have similar aspects to each other since they're both trying to be Mario platformers but they're technically completely different games due to the goal, controls & physics that have to accompany a new 3D field & etc. Not trying to make it sound like one is better than the other though, they all have their good & bad aspects.
>>
>>340264996

He called someone a "white beta", so I'm assuming this is more Ruggarell bait. Not to mention the fact that I've seen threads posted like this several times a week. Where the guy says he's played it for 30 seconds or something, and that everything after the first level is shit.

And he goes on about 3D Sonic games and how Sonic fans are autistic for not letting him hate the classics and love 3D.
>>
File: 1403382686973.png (95 KB, 512x644) Image search: [Google]
1403382686973.png
95 KB, 512x644
>>340264626
Rolling:
While moving, if you press down on the dpad/stick you will curl up into a ball. While in a ball, you can speed much faster while going down hill. You're also less susceptible to being damaged.

Moon Jump:
At the the top of a slope, if you have a lot of horizontal momentum, and you jump, you will jump very high. I do this all the time in Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 to bypass the rising water section.

Bounce Combos:
Say there is an enemy on a platform below you. If you jump down onto it, while holding the jump button, you will rebound up to the height from which you made the jump. This can be used to combo onto other enemies, for long successions of rebounds. Speedrunners use this in Green Hill Zone Act 3.

Transfer of Momentum:
When you are running forward at a high speed, and reach a curve, you will end up running on the wall, with the same momentum. You will be running up with the same momentum you were going left with.

Spin Dash:
Instant speed. Do this right before a slope, so that you get a lot of horizontal momentum immediately, which gets transferred into a lot more vertical momentum. This is using speed to platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AK3n-srj5E
This faggot goes into much more excruciating detail. First 15 minutes are all you need.

There's a video that shows the jump combo in Green Hill Zone, I'm trying to find it. If I find it, I'll post it.

>>340265076
See this webm to see vertical momentum being transferred into horizontal momentum.
>>
>>340263747
>create a video for a slow, shitty thread on /v/
No.

I do happen to have Sonic videos I've already made, but they are the exact opposite of what you're asking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXIjKsAz6k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eemi0hWVlkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JKHA75Kh6o

>I do this all the time in Chemical Plant Zone Act 2 to bypass the rising water section.
There's a better way, dude.
Don't do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkrNfM5zCro
Do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUU1ZuaAfE&t=2m
>>
>>340265269
I even have some specific parts for you to watch:

1:52 for Vertical Momentum into Horizontal Momentum, followed by a Moon Jump

2:53 for Rolling and Momentum

4:13 for Horizontal Momentum into Vertical Momentum

4:30 for Rolling and Horizontal Momentum

4:38 for Horizontal Momentum into a Moon Jump

5:00 using Spin Dash for instant Horizontal Momentum, to turn into Vertical Momentum

5:10 for Spin Dash into Horizontal Momentum into Vertical Momentum into Bounce Combo

6:30 for timing an Insta Shield on an enemy that would have otherwise hurt Sonic

8:20 fuckton of Horizontal Momentum being transferred into a fuckton of Vertical Momentum

8:40 more shit about transferring momentum

9:11 Spindash, Horizontal Momentum, Moon Jump

11:08 Spin Dash, Horizontal, Vertical
>>
>>340250775
>sonic 3 and knuckles, is the crowning gem of the series

Bullshit. 1 and 2 are both better. Level design in the series after that turned to crap.
>>
Reminder that the Sonic collection is rumored to be the next Humble Bundle.
>>
>>340266143
>majority of the examples are in the first level, where the level design is very generous in what they give you to roll/work with. the fact that you put so much effort into defending something a handful of levels in the game are built around is a testament to this insanity.

yep, you and every other autist is a joke. sonic 3 and cuckles is trash and this exploration shit is stupid. i cant wait for the anniversary game to kill the series so everyone who ever liked this series will never bother again. rabid sonic faggots, even classic faggots moreso, are the worst fanbase of anything that has ever walked this planet. good night and have fun with your shit game and i look forward to this year games crashing the series.
>>
>>340267110
So you didn't play the game then. Mastery of all of these tricks and knowing how to use them in tandem with one another makes pretty much every stage in 1, 2, CD, and 3K more rewarding.
>>
File: 122.png (164 KB, 398x307) Image search: [Google]
122.png
164 KB, 398x307
>he didn't play Sonic CD
>>
>>340267110
>i look forward to this year games crashing the series
If games like Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic 2006, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Sonic Boom, etc. haven't killed this series, what the fuck do you think will?
>>
Sonic 3 isnt about going fast
Its about the ability to go fast
>>
File: sonic-the-hedgehog-usa-europe.png (315 KB, 350x503) Image search: [Google]
sonic-the-hedgehog-usa-europe.png
315 KB, 350x503
>The 'other' Sonic series will always be forgotten.
>Everyone will talk about CD until the end of time.
>>
The meme master himself was on Hot Pepper Gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAAGW4Seg68
>>
>>340250775
And to your left, children, is a Millennial. Keep a fair distance now, it's not feeding time yet so he's very irritable.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.