[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For games that offer mulitple types of combat (melee, ranged,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Class_creation_archer.png (63 KB, 312x466) Image search: [Google]
Class_creation_archer.png
63 KB, 312x466
For games that offer mulitple types of combat (melee, ranged, magic...) I almost always go with melee. The main reason is because ranged and magic always seem to require extra resources and supplies, like arrows or mana/runes. It's annoying when your primary form of attack relies on keeping tabs on resources.

Does this make me a super casual? Or merely someone with reasonable expectations of what can be considered fun?
>>
I roll a mage whether the system is simple or a huge pain in the ass. By the end if the game I'll always be a hell of a lot more powerful than you
>>
>>340155521
Depends.

If by the late game the only thing you have is a bigger stick and tougher armor, then you you're casual as fuck.

In most games the magic class and the sneaky-shooty-stabby class, offers a bit more variety and gameplay.
>>
File: 1465141271668.png (11 KB, 293x317) Image search: [Google]
1465141271668.png
11 KB, 293x317
In Monster Hunter at least, it can be a bigger and more expensive pain the ass to maintain Gunner weapons than it is for Blademaster ones, who only need to sharpen with whetstones on the field after some time and don't really need to take combinables and books. It's usually worth it for the Gunner though as the HBG has been a consistently good weapon throughout the series.

Melee being casual really depends on the game. And now I have the urge to play Hexen.
>>
>>340155521
Honestly the magic and ranged options are generally the more casual ones because it's easier to cheese most games with ranged combat instead of actually putting yourself at risk.
>>
>>340156494
It takes more skill to play ranged weapons in mh, i remember the good old days of mh4u where id insta-kick bowgunners when doing lvl 140 rajangs. There are plenty of good players, but its just not worth the risk to give these guys a chance to prove themselves lmao.

Pretty ironic since 4 hbg party has traditionally been the higbest dps output possible.

Mhx isnt the sams, but then again hbg players arent getting one shot that much, when g rank is released then theyll be discriminated again xd

LS master race
>>
>>340156964
>MHX

Keep an eye out for Aerial HBG pellet shot spam
>>
I usually go melee too, simply because it's the most simple system, to be honest. I'm not interested in attacking from afar, I want to get right in their faces and fuck their shit up.
I have been making an effort of varying it up in some games occasionally, though, and it's been fun to switch it up sometimes as well.

It's why I really love CRPG's where you control three to six characters, be they real time or turn based. You get to play all the roles.
>>
Really depends on the system. Being a mage in Morrowind was a gigantic pain in the ass since magicka didn't regen on its own.
I usually don't find it a problem however, since any decent game will balance resource-based weapons/abilities so that they're more powerful than plain old melee.
>>
Stealth archery
>>
>>340156573
>jump on a rock
>enemies keep repeating that they've found me and I never should have come there but are otherwise incapable of doing anything
>snipe them to death
Bravo, Todd.
>>
>>340155521
>play monster hunter
>feel like trying out gunner
>need coatings for bows/ammo for the bowguns
>need to farm all the materials for the shots, or spends tons of money to craft them
>if you're not careful you can be wombo comboed to death

Fuck it, ill keep using the hammer
>>
>>340155521
Nah, ranged and magic are usually the ez mode casual classes
>>
>>340160482
Bows are much easier to maintain, but you have to stay within 'critical distance' of your shot type to do optimal damage. Otherwise the hunt takes much longer to complete.

Bowguns yes are much more resource intensive. Pierce Lv2 is popular in 4U, but requires bird wyvern fangs for combines...and the best way to get them in bulk is a fuckton of points. Lower defense is a fair compromise for what could be a much safer playstyle.
>>
File: 1451517923419.webm (71 KB, 352x240) Image search: [Google]
1451517923419.webm
71 KB, 352x240
>>340159721
This, right here, is probably why I prefer Fallout games to TES in terms of combat mechanics.

Jumping on a rock won't save you from people with guns, but when most people use melee it just breaks the game.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.