[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you agree with this list /v/? Is 3d platforming dead/dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: platforming tier.jpg (4 MB, 7897x4816) Image search: [Google]
platforming tier.jpg
4 MB, 7897x4816
Do you agree with this list /v/?

Is 3d platforming dead/dying? Can it be revived?
>>
>>340136884

Its mostly dead, but some games are still giving a fight, like mirrors edge.

btw, where is mirror's edge?
>>
>>340137075

I forgot about it, but still, the list is only meant to display the best examples of each tier, not every single g ame.
>>
>>340136884

swap TR with POP and I agree.

TR platforming was good but it was extremely clunky, like the whole "lara needs to run a bit before jumping" or "takes 10 fucking seconds to move a box in 1 direction"
>>
>>340136884
>be old
>3d platforming basically never existed to me as a genre

it fundamentally doesn't work, and the best agme in the genre is super mario 64.

when the best game in a genre is the first game in a genre, it means the genre is bad and has no potential.
>>
>He didn't actually play Uncharted 4
Stay mad.
>>
>>340138516
>3d platforming basically never existed to me as a genre
This was actually the first thing I thought when I saw the OP.

3D platforming had a small spikes in popularity with the original Tomb Raiders, Jak & Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank but it was always the series themselves that were popular rather than the genre. Compare 3D platformers to something like shooters to understand what I mean.
>>
File: anon's bait.png (7 KB, 293x172) Image search: [Google]
anon's bait.png
7 KB, 293x172
>>340138516

Super mario 64 platforming was ass.

It feels as if mario is walking on ice the whole time, he slides through every terrain, even when stopping. its a pain in the ass to control him.

Also, he cant even turn around on his axis, he has to walk in a half-moon pattern just to turn around, resulting in a fuckload of deads if you stopped right in front of a cliff

>>340138542

i know its bait but what makes you say that?
>>
>>340138926

Im ok with it because this is pretty much judging 3d platforming as a whole, rather than as a genre. Its judging 3d platforming elements
>>
>>340139124
I am as well. I've never needed a genre or series to have mass appeal to validate my enjoyment of it. Genre labeling only really exists as a marketing tool. Furthermore it seems to inhibit the development of new ideas about game mechanics which might make it more harmful in the long run.
>>
the uncharted games and the rise of the tomb raider reboots are great. stay made games got better and arent clunky as fuck anymore. the original tomb raider games, good? fuck off nostalgia
>>
>>340139723

They're not clunky but they're almost automatic, so theres no challenge. You literally cant die on UC4 or ROTTR platforming unless you intend to do it. Hell even then its sometimes hard (on UC4, you cant jump from ledges unless nathan can grab from another ledge).

The old tr games may be clunky but they presented a much bigger amount of interactivity
>>
>>340136884
You are not the targeted audience. The majority of player want to expirience a story driven game. That means a lot of auto aim, press X to be awesome and gameplay fad mechanics.

It is not dead, just the intellectual gamer suffers from this shit. 15 years ago, games was catered to gamer, now games are catered to the TVish consumer.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.