[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on XCOM 2? How does it compare to Enemy Unknown?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (343 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
343 KB, 1920x1080
Thoughts on XCOM 2?

How does it compare to Enemy Unknown?
>>
it doesn't
>>
better, only comparison to be made is versus LW

still lean more towards LW right now, but give it an expansion and the LW team's definitely not confirmed series of mods and it'll be far better, only thing i miss is crawling through the crashed alien craft
>>
>>340134085
It's fantastic but still runs kind of bad. Can't wait for the first proper expansion.
>>
Shit community that focuses on IL modes and makes the devs think that that's what makes a good game.

Only good thing about it was the random level generator.
>>
>>340134085
i can't believe i'm saying this but they actually made RNG more frustrating.
>>
File: 1420584969209.gif (2 MB, 400x210) Image search: [Google]
1420584969209.gif
2 MB, 400x210
>>340134085
Early game is tons of fun, late game is a shitfest. Long War conversion when?
>>
>>340134085
Compared to LW, I really don't like it.

Class trees are extremely simple, just two columns that are effectively each a subclass. You might as well just pick a subclass because at most you're going to deviate from that column once or twice.

Dodge mechanic that is on almost every enemy in the mid to late game can only be countered with grenades, in fact grenades counter everything,

New geoscape is extremely new, but doesn't actually manage to be anything at all. The few decisions you have to make are no-brainers and it mostly becomes an annoyance as you are constantly interrupted from the thing you're trying to do. Never manages to make me feel like I'm on the offensive like it was meant to because you still just get mission pop-ups now and then that you HAVE to take, RIGHT NOW, or be severely penalized.

The game has a stronger focus on story, which I suppose some people might like, but the story is never actually good anyway and the characters aren't anywhere near as likable as the ones you got in 2012-XCOM.

The stealth mechanic is neat at first, but completely broken once you get phantom and turn ALL your encounters into ambushes.

Early and mid-game aliens get completely phased out as the game progresses instead of just getting stronger like the ADVENT troops do. Late game would be much more interesting and challenging if you still saw, for example, sectoids deployed alongside big tanky aliens. It's also just a waste to have aliens that you almost never see past a certain point.

I think that should cover most of my grievances.
>>
File: Traitor.png (2 MB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
Traitor.png
2 MB, 3000x3000
What were they thinking with this enemy?
And why do I like it?
>>
>>340135173
This, for some reason people are defending it saying thats what makes xcom but this all bullets hit/miss mechanic is too damn lazy.
>>
Very fun. Waiting for shen's last gift to do another playthrough of it.
>>
>>340135173
The game literally cheats in your favor, raising your odds to hit and lowering your odds to be hit behind the scenes whenever you're in trouble.
>>
>>340136436
can't wait for backwards ass mecs and kamikaze shit shame /xcg/ is slow and dead with only halo to revive it in short terms
>>
Better for the most part. Gameplay and the basegame have improved, but I think the art style is kind of all over the place in a few parts.

I don't think the timers are as bad as some people make it out to be. Although they did go a bit overboard with it, you can always tweak the .ini to your liking or remove timers altogether if you're a total scrub.

I do really miss Mecs and shivs though. Fuck you Firaxis for hiding all the fun toys behind DLC, I already bought EW, I deserve some god damn robots. How dare you take my robots away.
>>
>>340134085
>not playing xenonauts
>>
NO NUDE SNEK MOD YET

DISREGARD
>>
>>340136321
I still don't get all this affection for LW. Oh sure you get more classes and more reshuffling of perks to make theorycrafting about what's the best build, but you get so much shit it's pretty much a worthless gain. The campaign is bloated with missions because hey, we got a fatigue mechanic so why not make it matter in the most anoying way possible, the maps are overused and definitely cannot handle so many aliens, the combat relies too much in handling enemy activations and particularly in gaming them instead of just being cautious about activating too many groups, and ironically becomes even more of a campfest, the tech tree is full of nothing and basicallt is just a way to keep you out of the cool stuff, balancing is nonexistant especially in the lategame since no one gets there legitimately and finally airgame just being LW airgame.
>>340136835
Why someone should play an inferior X-clone with terrible mechanics added? Just stick with the original and OpenXcom id you like it so much.
>>
>>340137814
> just being LW airgame

Never got far enough to have anything that was a problem, mainly just shot down stuff with 1-2 Interceptors. What's the problem with it later on?
>>
>>340136835
Xenonauts was pretty shit. I wanted to like it, but fighting lizards on a farm 50 games in a row is boring as fuck.
>>
>>340137814
LW was pretty good. Too many fucking ayys though.
>>
Pretty much on equal footing with EU/EW. Waiting for the expansion if it ever happens.
>>
>>340137814
Early-mid airgame is LW is not nearly as bad as everyone makes it out to be, just make sure you grab advanced aerospace concepts after lasers and get a few foundry projects and you'll be fine up to medium UFOs.

Fuck the lategame though, they literally just use very larges for every single mission that you have to throw multiple firestorms at to take down
>>
Gave up on second play through because the berserker queen keeps wrecking my squad and leaving with like two turns to finish the mission. It fucking sucks that I can't turn it off, it's making harder difficulties unfun
>>
>>340136496
Only if you play on Normal.
>>
File: 1464906423827.gif (1 MB, 446x270) Image search: [Google]
1464906423827.gif
1 MB, 446x270
>>340134085

Personal opinion; the biggest problem with the gameplay is that they made the aliens capable of fucking you up in one turn, in an effort to make the game more challenging. But it doesn't really make it harder, it just turns it into a series of "figure out how to use my abilities to kill everything this turn because otherwise I'm fucked". And I don't find that fun, I'm fine with a harder game but if there's any point where I'm actually fighting the aliens on higher difficulties I've already lost.

That's part of the reason grenades are so indispensable. Overall it's a less enjoyable pace than EU/EW, though in most other ways the sequel improves.
>>
>>340134085
best game 2016 so far
>>
>>340134085
>Thoughts on XCOM 2?
The game both misleads and outright lies to you about your hit chances

Your hit chances are X% hit and Y% crit, flat, but Graze chances are both hidden and on a sliding scale based on your hit chance.

On difficulties except the hardest you have a hidden anti-streak bonus or penalty that affects you and the NPCs to arbitrarily make it so that after so many hits, you miss, or after so many misses, you hit.

It's so incredibly annoying that the hotkeys for abilities everyone has aren't fixed that I can't believe it got through QA and other testing. If you gain abilities from where you're standing or your upgrades, your Evac hotkey might change from 4 to 5 on that one person or shit like that.

I was hoping for ISIS Simulator but instead I got a more boring XCOM
>>
>>340138654
>>340136496
The anti-streak works on all difficulties except the hardest one and it affects both aliens and you. Unless they modded the code in the past few months, which they might've, that's how it works and you can open up the code and see for yourself.
>>
it's alright but the game balance sucks ass

game is tense and difficult at the beginning but it's like EW where after you clear the first few months, you become so ridiculously overpowered that you have to actually try to take damage on a mission

it becomes boring when you flawless every single mission without trying
>>
>>340134085
It's different but better than vanilla EU on many respects.

Enemy Unknown however has Enemy Within and Long War to count on, so until XCOM 2 gets its equivalent of those one might prefer EU.
>>
Better than EU but significantly worse than EW.
>>
>>340136345
>>340136838
I WANT TO LEWD THE SNEK
>>
>>340139443
I prefer EW maps set in daily settings to badly envisioned futurism.
I mean some designs are cool (new sectopod) but many thing are just looking bland and not interesting, its also clashes with environment not in a very nice or interesting way.
Plus, older designs felt like from a horror movie, all those gnarly floaters like someone put a lizard in a pepsi can and stepped on it or those mutons with glowing eyes, thin men despite being major pain in the ass were plain scary to met, damn ethereals were fucking awesome, now everything, from sectoids, berserkers to ethereals look plain metrosexual.
I certainly prefer wrecking shit on gas station or in the mall in EW.
>>
How many mods does everyone use? I must have over 70 running at once and my ram usage goes from 7 to 12gb after 20 minutes of playing.
>>
>>340134085
Long War > XCOM 2 > XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Within
>>
>>340136838
I'm suprised there is no Viper Queen mod actually.
>>
>>340134085
I don't like it more than XCOM 1, but for as much as it pisses me off, I don't really hate it either. It just doesn't hold my attention like 1 did.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.