[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Color Theory of Metal Gear Solid
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
File: metal-gear2.jpg (209 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
metal-gear2.jpg
209 KB, 1280x720
So I'm working on this idea that the MGS games are each represented by a single (solid) color, and that color reflects the themes and mood of the game. The color can be identified by the main color that the player sees throughout the game. I've done some preliminary research on what colors represent and have capitalized the points that I think best reflect the themes of the game they factor into.

Metal Gear Solid: Blue
>Blue is the color of the sky and sea. It is often associated with depth and stability. It symbolizes TRUST, LOYALTY, wisdom, CONFIDENCE, intelligence, faith, TRUTH, and HEAVEN. Blue is considered beneficial to the mind and body.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Brown
>Solid, reliable brown is the color of earth and is abundant in nature. Light brown implies GENUINENESS while dark brown is similar to wood or leather. Brown can also be SAD and WISTFUL. Men are more apt to say brown is one of their favorite colors.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Green
>Green is the color of nature. It symbolizes GROWTH, HARMONY, FRESHNESS, and FERTILITY. Green has strong emotional correspondence with safety. Dark green is also commonly associated with MONEY (Philosopher's Legacy).

Metal Gear Solid 4: Grey
>Gray is a cool, neutral, and balanced color. The color gray is an EMOTIONLESS, MOODY color that is typically associated with meanings of DULL, DIRTY, and DINGY, as well as formal, conservative, and sophisticated. The color gray is a timeless and practical color that is often associated with LOSS or DEPRESSION.

Metal Gear Solid 5: Yellow (sand)
>Yellow, the color of sunshine, hope, and happiness, has CONFLICTING ASSOCIATIONS. On one hand yellow stands for FRESHNESS, happiness, positivity, CLARITY, energy, optimism, ENLIGHTENMENT, REMEMBRANCE, intellect, HONOR, LOYALTY and joy, but on the other, it represents COWARDICE and DECEIT.

Thoughts?
>>
Bumpin, looks interesting
>>
>>340127786
You see, board will happily talk about anime or shit on Overwatch, but interesting discussion is just a smidge too high-brow
>>
>MGS2
>brown
>not orange
>>
>>340127786
"Autism" the thread
>>
>>340127786
MGS2 is blue you idiot.

MGS1 doesn't really have a color motif at all.
>>
File: pic.pl.jpg (8 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
pic.pl.jpg
8 KB, 320x240
>>340128428
I'd say it's an orange shade of brown if anything. Especially the sunset sniping mission.
>>
Huh. Interesting.
>>
>>340127786
>MGSV
>not red

Lol apply yourself
>>
>>340128785
I'm afraid you're colorblind. I'm sorry.
>>
>>340128597
go back to your senran kagura threads, faggot
>>
>>340128363
This isn't interesting at all though. It's just some bullshit with colors that largely comes out of nowhere or through over-analysis of the game's basic palette.

MGS4's emphasis of faded colors lend the game a kind of depressing and pessimistic tone, though.
>>
File: ingame_16x9.jpg (264 KB, 1067x600) Image search: [Google]
ingame_16x9.jpg
264 KB, 1067x600
>>340128603
I'd say the only blue sections take place in the endgame, which make sense as the twists are revealed and the themes of wisdom, intelligence, and truth are more prevalent, which are represented by blue.

Even the interior of Big Shell is brown.
>>
MGS4 is
tan,
brown,
orange,
white,
and then gray.
But since you spend most of your time fucking around in the first two acts, I guess it's a tan/brown theme.
>>
>>340128785
>Red used throughout the entire marketing
>Red indicating revenge, rage etc.

Lol enjoy your color wankfest hope you get at least 10 views on your deep youtube video.
>>
Blue is also the colour of saddness, and saddness is fucking rampant throughout MGS
>>
MGS2 dominant color is orange. MGS3 is brown and MGS4 is green. Pay more attention.
>>
She climbed the rock face and stood at the top. There, she could see the earth stretching all the way to the horizon. Aah, is this really how big the world is? The sky is so blue it makes me dizzy, and so very high. Its deep blue hue and height tell me of its connection into outer space. Is there truly no place where I belong, not even in this vast world?
'I'll take you there.' Where could it be, Boss? Can I see it from here?
The heat in Quiet's chest grew too much to bear, and she fell to her knees. Her tears ran down her cheeks and to her neck before dripping to her chest. It was time to close her mouth.
"I am Quiet. I am... the absence of words"
Placing her hand to her chest, she apologized to the newly-born children within. Sorry, but I can't let you out of here. You will disappear with me.
Quiet doused herself with the gas tank, and ignited it with Big Boss's lighter.
>>
>>340128887
I don't think authorial intent is as important as the meanings that people draw from works of art.

>This is bullshit
>The washed out colors in MGS4 contribute to the tone, though.
>>
>>340129157
This is pretty autistic.
>>
>>340129180
>I know more about the game than the people who made it

Hop off your high horse cunt
>>
what the fuck are you talking about op

MGS - Green (Primary) / Black (Secondary)
MGS2 - Blue / White
MGS3 - Green / Yellow
MGS4 - Yellow
MGS:PW - Yellow
MGSV - Red
>>
>>340129337
Hello fellow daltonic gamer.
>>
Shouldn't it be?

>MGS
Red
>MGS2
Blue
>MGS3
Green
>MGS4
White
>MGSV
Dark Red

At least that's what they are based on boxart. MGS is in red, 2 is blue, 3 is green, 4 is white, and the broken V/exclamation mark is dark red.
>>
>>340129310
So is the p2w endgame.
I got to an average of Lv85 for Mother Base, but can't see myself spending that much for the tier 7 equipment.
>>
>>340129180
I don't either. But I do think that you'd be better off looking at the settings of the games than the colors.

Yes, MGS4's subdued colors add to the game's tone in an obvious way. But MGS3's browns and greens don't suggest more than the obvious fact the game takes place largely outside.
>>
I want colour theory class to leave.
>>
>>340129121
MGS2 is an orange shade of brown if anything, but I can see how people would call it orange >>340128907
>>340128701

MGS3 is pretty green overall. Even the dirt has a green hue to it. The interiors seem to have a blue green filter to them.
>>
>>340127786
MGS1 had lots of snow. It should be white and MGS2 blue cause it was on the ocean.
>>
>>340129562
Yeah those upgrade costs are bs.
>>
>>340127786
>MGS5
>Not being red

Are you that dumb? The game beats that color into your head.
>>
>>340129528
I'm not really going by box art, but the overall color of the game itself. MGS seems primarily blue, 2 has an orangish brown tint to the plant missions, but the endgame is blue etc.

>>340129331
Except I said the exact opposite.
>>
>>340129857
If we're going by the games themselves then I'd give them.

MGS: White/Gray (Snow/Shadow Moses)
MGS2: Orange/Blue (Big Shell/Ocean)
MGS3: Green/Brown (Jungle/Mountains)
MGS4: Brown/Black (Deserts/Enemies)
MGSV: Brown/Red (Deserts/Phantom Limb)
>>
>>340129778
>>340129528
>>340129337
Yeah V is pretty fucking red now that I think about it.
>Red, the color of blood and fire, is associated with meanings of love, PASSION, DESIRE, HEAT, LONGING, lust, sexuality, sensitivity, romance, joy, STRENGTH, LEADERSHIP, courage, vigor, willpower, RAGE, ANGER, DANGER, MALICE, WRATH, stress, action, vibrance, radiance, and DETERMINATION.

Which actually makes a lot of sense. Yellow can still factor into your missions in the desert, and it still represents deception as you're not really playing as Big Boss.
>>
>>340130086
Even though 1 takes place in the snow and in a grey complex it still has a blue motif throughout the entire game. It's sort of like how filmmakers change a film's color in postproduction to make horror films blue, or The Matrix films green.
>>
>>340130086
Also in 2 big shell and even the ocean are pretty brown
>>340128907
>>340128701

Nearly all of MGS3 has a green tint to it including the interiors and the dirt in the jungle. The mountain sections are pretty brown though I'll give you that.

MGS4 may take place in the desert and the enemies may mostly be black, but the game seems to have a gray filter to most of it.
>>
>>340127786
>MGS1
White
>MGS2
Blue
>MGS3
Green
>MGS4
Grey
>MGSPW
Yellow
>MGS5
Red
>>
>>340131734
I stand by MGS1 being blue overall and MGS2 being Brown until the endgame which was blue.

I agree that MGS5 was red though >>340130190
>>
Ground Zeroes is Black.
>>
File: 630x.jpg (89 KB, 630x442) Image search: [Google]
630x.jpg
89 KB, 630x442
>>340131734
>>340130086
>>340129734
Even the snowy exteriors in 1 were blue.
>>
>>340132156
Very true.
>Black is associated with POWER(Mother Base was never stronger, elegance, FORMALITY (IAEA inspection), DEATH, EVIL, and MYSTERY. Black is a mysterious color associated with FEAR and the UNKNOWN (black holes). It usually has a negative connotation (blacklist, black humor, 'black death').
>>
>>340132389
Also it takes place at night.
>>
>>340132604
So did 1 and parts of 2 and 3 but that didn't stop them from being blue (the endgame of 2 was blue) and green respectively.
>>
PW is yellow, kojima said it himself, yellow symbolizes peace and freedom.
>>
>>340127786
>Metal Gear Solid 2: Brown

that doesn't follow. it's also some sort of blue. because duh, water.
>>
What's more interesting is the Red/Yellow duality in MGSV.

>Yellow is represented as good in PW, with red vice versa

>Demon side of Snake is presented with red light on the chopper, along with the player's patch
>Normal side of Snake with Diamond Dogs patch is represented with yellow light

>Kazuhira Miller is "yellow", yet is insane and completely out of control with his rage, the "Id" in Snake's ego
>Ocelot is "red", yet is calm, collected, and knows how to boost soldier morale, the "Super Ego" in Snake's ego

what could all of this mean?
>>
File: mgs2-raiden-shell-sneak.jpg (111 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
mgs2-raiden-shell-sneak.jpg
111 KB, 960x544
>>340132893
Yeah MGS2 is the hardest one to nail down. I do think that the plant section is mostly an orange brown while the endgame is blue. Even the interior of Big Shell as well as the sniping section are very brown, but the intro/endgame are overwhelmingly blue.
>>
>>340133128
Well since yellow is said to have "conflicting associations" it could symbolize the external misrepresenting the internal, which factors into the fact that Venom Snake is just a body double and his external appearance doesn't represent who he really is.
>>
>>340133489
What's very interesting is the Shining Lights mission.

When you use the goggles, the throat cancer is represented with yellow.

When Snake slowly walks out, the room is filled with a dim yellow, flashing on and off, only to transition into complete red, showing demon snake.

And then.. it returns to yellow, panning over the dead bodies.

Lastly, Snake kneels down, into the red lighted area, with the yellow colors slowly fading.

I had a thought about this once but I forgotten about it. It was a really good interpretation but now it's all ruined because I'm a dumbass.
>>
I still think it's an interesting idea. Fuck you for letting my thread die /v/, I'm going to go shitpost in Overwatch threads now.
>>
>>340135912
It's a shit theroy
>>
I always thought it was MGS1 = white (ice) MGS2 = blue (water + technology), MGS3 = green (jungle), MGS4 = sepia-y ambery (nostalgic), PW = yellow (tropical beach) and MGSV = red (blood).
>>
>>340136092
And you are right, even tho MGS1 is blue and MGS2 is orange to me.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.