[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished final fantasy 8 in 61 hours and by god it was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 35
File: image.png (283 KB, 650x529) Image search: [Google]
image.png
283 KB, 650x529
I just finished final fantasy 8 in 61 hours and by god it was amazing. Whatever hate that /v/ has for it was completely baseless. The ending was perfect. Absolutely perfect. That feeling when I got lion heart against ultimecia in the final battle was unparalleled and then that bittersweet ending with Laguna and raine and then finally the end credits scene. Also the scene with the plot twist where ultimecia from the future gave edea her powers and squall became the creator of seed through a time paradox. He basically wrote his own destiny. What an under appreciated master piece. This isn't a troll or bait post I literally just finished.
>>
>>340073484
>Whatever hate that /v/ has for it was completely baseless.
they just hate it cause spoony didn't understand that you didn't have to draw every spell til you have 100 and that you never have to play the cardgame if you don't want to
>>
>>340073643
I never drew anything the entire game. I got all my spells from draw points. Triple triad (which soaked up 20 hours of my time because it was so addicting) and refining item drops.
>>
>>340073743
well, it's spoony
>>
The game is a broken mess in terms of mechanics, but it's the fun kind of broken where you can be strong enough to beat the final boss is about an hour, turn off all random encounters and just bend the game over and have your way with it.

The story is fucking incredible as long as you have a sense of humour and aren't a joyless cunt.

Love it. It's a beautiful mess.
>>
>>340073847
Well I really loved the game. The world. The characters. The themes. They were great. Definitely my favorite final fantasy. Although I haven't played anything 12 and up and 3 and below. I doubt it can get much better. 8 > 9 > 6 > 7 > 10 > 4 > 5 for me.
>>
>>340073965
OP here. I got lion heart on disc one and leveled my characters to 100 on disc 3 so the ending was pretty difficult for me. Ultimecia felt like she had 800k health. Haven't fought omega yet.
>>
>>340074070
I loved the game too
it's just cool to hate it now, just like 7
>>
>>340074213
I legitimately thought squall died until the final end credit scene almost shit my pants too. Squall was a great introspective MC. He had a lot of moments that from his point of view weren't funny but came out hilarious which lightened up his character.
>>
File: 1432359138461.jpg (44 KB, 666x457) Image search: [Google]
1432359138461.jpg
44 KB, 666x457
>>340073484
One thing i've noticed on /v/ is that the majority of people who holds FFVIII as their favorite Final Fantasy also has a tremend love for FFXII (IZJS) even though they're completely different, so that's your next step anon
>>
>>340074361
yep
>>
>>340074585
I'm going to be that guy right now and mention that FFVIII is my favourite mainline Final Fantasy but I cannot stand XII in its original or IZJS release.
>>
File: 1462516350905.jpg (7 KB, 285x212) Image search: [Google]
1462516350905.jpg
7 KB, 285x212
>>340074870
Huh, that's a new
>>
>>340073484
There's a lot of things to like about this game, including some really cool sequences like the dollet mission, the garden fight, etc., the setting of the game, the music is god tier, there's some interesting side quests, the card game is kind of cool (though way too easy since you always have better cards), the junction system is an interesting IDEA, etc. However, there are just as many terrible parts of the game, including dumb story stuff like the orphanage revelation but most importantly the battle system is horribly broken. That's what ruined the game for me. There was no challenge and really no thought at all required to beat the game so the battles were incredibly boring.

If only there was some sort of mod that reworked the battle system, because it's a huge flaw that detracts from an otherwise good game.
>>
>>340074793
So for me it's squall > zidane > cloud > tidus > terra
>>
>>340073484
Literally the only mainline Final Fantasy I think has no redeeming qualities outside of good music, and I guess the Girl Friends look cool.

I can't tell when people are being ironic when they talk about it or not. IMO it's the stupidest Final Fantasy by a mile.
>>
Well at least it's better than XIII
>>
>>340075081
I feel like you're saying this without even playing the game. You can't hate this game. It's not possible. You can dislike the combat system but hate the game ? Nah
>>
>>340075081
Hey now, whats stupid about FFVIII? I mean besides:

-School exam to kill a magical fire demon in a cave
-School exam to survive D-Day and escape robot spider bots
-Seifer telling you about his ROMANTIC DREAM
-Zell
-The school's T-Rex reserve that you can just wander into
-A Trading Card Game actually being a World Wide phenomenon
-Your Head Teacher just casually handing you a lamp with the devil in it
-Selphie
-Stealing an entire train cart with the President in while its in motion
-Finding out that you actually kidnapped the President's zombie body double
-Going back in time to experience the lives of soldiers going AWOL to fuck chicks at a Jazz lounge
-Having to prove yourself to a General by enslaving Minotaurs in a labyrinth
-Irvine
-That entire shit show of an assassination attempt where Irvine starts crying like a bitch

I mean shit dawg that's just disk 1 and I still missed stuff. It's so goddamn good, I don't understand how anyone can hate something so wonderfully retarded.
>>
Hating it became cool when that autist Spoony reviewed it years back.
>>
>>340074174
Hope you have tons of Holy Wars and Heroes.
>>
>>340076032
>Seifer telling you about his ROMANTIC DREAM
>Not understanding a mans romance

You are either a women or a homosexual
>>
I never understood Final Fantasy fans.

Inevitably, there is always a JRPG with funner gameplay on the same console that the new FF title has been released on. Do Final Fantasy fans play other RPGs? What happens when they inevitably play an RPG that has a combat system that is more intuitive and/or more involving leading to being more fun? If you are you a fan because of the stories and the teeny bop stuff I would say read a real novel with substance but its obvious you play the game to simply feel like you have some sort of part/control of the story. Are you a fan because of the art style/graphics/cut scenes? Then you're just a shallow faggot.
>>
FFVIII was considered one of the weaker games in the series way before Spoony reviewed it.
>>
>>340076417

Japanese magizine fimatsu or whatever ranked it higher than 7. So did IGN. and it also has a 91 on metacritic. 7 has a 92

What are you talking about
>>
>>340076032
>School exam to kill a magical fire demon in a cave
>-School exam to survive D-Day and escape robot spider bots
>-The school's T-Rex reserve that you can just wander into
Considering whole purpose of the school was to train them to off Sorceress, some combat training taken seriously wouldnt hurt.

>-A Trading Card Game actually being a World Wide phenomenon
What is MTG

>-Your Head Teacher just casually handing you a lamp with the devil in it
More like handling to the people who can handle it and use it to off the sorceress.

>-Stealing an entire train cart with the President in while its in motion
>-Finding out that you actually kidnapped the President's zombie body double
Here is why it was so easy.

>-That entire shit show of an assassination attempt where Irvine starts crying like a bitch
Like this never happen to soldiers.
>>
>>340076510
I'm talking about the community, not the critics.
>>
>>340073484
I tried i really tried.

6 playthroughs over the years, i cant even bring myself to even attempt the beginning tutorial again ever.
>>
>>340076032
You could do this with any game.
>>
>>340076417
Not really, it was one of the best selling highest reviewed games in the franchise when it came out. It's soundtrack was one of if not the best selling video game soundtracks ever at the time and the Eyes on Me single was similarly popular and sought after.

Some of it you can attribute to it being the FF immediately after VII but it was still considered to be among the best in the franchise and immensely popular.
>>
>>340076370
>>340076525
>>340076671

...do you guys think I'm criticising the game or something?
>>
File: strawman.jpg (39 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
strawman.jpg
39 KB, 333x500
>>340073643
>spoony
>>
>>340076776

Don't listen to the FF7 shills. Anything they say is an attempt to discredit any game that is NOT their beloved FF7, regardless if they think the game is good or not
>>
>>340076525
>What is MTG

Not something that people are so obsessed with that you can randomly find people to play with anywhere at anytime just by asking ans they always have their deck ready to go.

>HE WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF A VIOLENT GUN SHOOTY PRISON BREAK BUT YEAH DAWG I'LL PLAY CARDS WITH YOU!
I love FFVIII so much.
>>
>>340075206
I played it once when I was a kid and replayed it a couple years ago while I was on a Final Fantasy binge.

It's the only one I had almost no fun replaying.
The cast feels really samey and boring, and I don't just mean in battle. Even their designs are probably the most forgettable in all of Final Fantasy, besides Squall who at least look cool and has a sword that shoots explosions. Hell, they even all have the exact same backstory (the weird orphanage thing where they all had amnesia, and then coincidentally all grouped up years later), occupation and motivation.

The setting of a floating anime battle high school secretly created by an evil Gungan cripple(?), is pretty weird, but I guess at least it's something.

Mechanically the battle system is probably the worst in the series, ignoring FF9's speed issue. The draw system is a cool idea but it was executed so badly it's just awful in every way. Limit Breaks are busted and there's no reason to use any magic besides the invincibility one, because it the same or less damage than just whacking things. You can even get away with ditching healing magic since you can get a billion elixirs on the first disc.

Not that most FF games can't be broken, but FF8 is the easiest to break and doesn't have interesting skills or abilities even if you play normally, besides the ability to refine items outside of battle.

No armor or accessories and linear weapon upgrades also means your characters would be even more pointlessly interchangeable game-wise if they weren't just walking Limit Breaks to start with.

Don't even get me started on how running away from everything is the easiest way to beat the game.
>>
>>340074070
>The characters. The themes. They were great.

I found the characters to be bland and annoying and the romance in the game was very badly written
>>
>>340077060
>has a sword that shoots explosions
So good.

>Don't even get me started on how running away from everything is the easiest way to beat the game.
Why run away from stuff when you can Enc-None?
>>
File: 1332852455275.jpg (701 KB, 960x940) Image search: [Google]
1332852455275.jpg
701 KB, 960x940
Most people bitch about the amnesia twist although it's foreshadowed multiple times through the game

Rinoa = Ultimecia

Similar to how people bitch about Necron in FFIX although it makes perfect sense for im to appear if you know his original name in JP "Eternal Darkness"
>>
File: 1458598230791.png (2 MB, 720x3300) Image search: [Google]
1458598230791.png
2 MB, 720x3300
>>340077268
>Rinoa = Ultimecia

stupid fan theory. Just as bad as "Squall died in disc 1"
>>
>>340077202
Yes, but as a counter argument Galbadia has a ROCKET POWERED FLYING MOTORCYCLE ASSAULT SQUAD.

Your argument is therefore invalid.
>>
>>340075081
>has no redeeming qualities outside of good music
What is triple triad
>>
>>340077407
A shitty card game with no depth where whoever has the biggest number wins?

...but still better than the main game. At least it's fun to try and collect them all.
>>
File: IHateThisMinigame.jpg (265 KB, 500x668) Image search: [Google]
IHateThisMinigame.jpg
265 KB, 500x668
>>340077352
how does cool tech counteract horrible storytelling and bad characters?

>>340077407
that's not a redeeming quality
>>
>>340077202

>what is an opinion

You're in the minority guy. Also the only thing poorly written about the game is NORG.

The entire rest of the games plot is perfect and completely makes sense within the limitation its told
>>
>>340077352
And Superman 64 is about an INVINCIBLE SPACE MAN WHO CAN FLY AT THE SPEED OF SOUND AND SHOOT EYE LASERS AND PUNCH THROUGH DINOSAURS
>>
>>340077342
Tell me one reason why it's not a perfect fit for the story
>>
File: HeeroTemp.jpg (32 KB, 434x398) Image search: [Google]
HeeroTemp.jpg
32 KB, 434x398
>>340077572
>Also the only thing poorly written about the game is NORG.
>mfw

the romance was poorly written
the amnesia plot twist was poorly written
Disc 3 and beyond was poorly written

we are talking Arsenal Gear levels of poorly written
>>
File: FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg (102 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasy_Ilikequall.jpg
102 KB, 500x500
>>340073484

The Orphanage and Rinoa are pretty dumb story points. And they could have done a lot more with Laguna and the time element. However, all that said, FFVIII has the best setting and one of the few FF games with a solid ending that doesn't need remakes/sequels to fix. I'd honestly say its easily the best FF game and a solid 8/10.

Also, Whatever I like trains and hot dogs you chicken wuss.
>>
>>340077689
>Tell me one reason why it's not a perfect fit for the story

because it was never officially stated and therefore a retarded fan theory.
>>
>>340077543
How is a story where the ex-Giant Caterpillar Slayer of Winhill leads the Cyber Metropolis of Esthar into revolution against their evil Sorceress Overlord and defeats her by just shoving her from behind possibly bad?

How is a story where a teenager randomly finds a Jeep with the keys to a missile base in a random truck in the desert and then proceeds to break into a nuclear facility and hit random buttons bad!?

HOW IS A STORY IN WHICH TICKLING A MAN IS AN ACCEPTABLE RESPONSE TO A MORTAL THROAT WOUND BAD!?
>>
>>340077572
Not that guy, but this is the most delusional post I've seen in a while.

Most Final Fantasies do just have shitty 'excuse' plots, but FF8 goes above and beyond to play out like some poorly planned fan-fiction the Square staff found in the garbage bin of a high school girls' washroom.
>>
>>340077689
Because it's idiotic, ruins the plot and isn't supported by the game?
>>
>>340074070
Absolutely terrible taste.
>>
>>340077815

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYmdpY35E2w

The game was already long (60 hours if you do everything)

I wish Balamb was even longer. I play Triple Triad there for 10-20 hours just to make it as long as possible.

>>340077913

>Bullshit the post

Nothing about the plot is contrived in any way. The ending makes almost everything make complete sense.
>>
>>340077572
>NORG
>Bad

But that's one of the funniest parts of the game though.
>>
>>340077965

>Isn't supported by the game

says who? You? Are you the authority on the world of final fantasy 8? shit....
>>
File: laughing2.jpg (242 KB, 632x483) Image search: [Google]
laughing2.jpg
242 KB, 632x483
>>340077997
>Nothing about the plot is contrived in any way
>>
>>340078081
If it were supported by the game then it wouldn't be a theory moron.
>>
File: Quisty.gif (2 MB, 401x281) Image search: [Google]
Quisty.gif
2 MB, 401x281
>>340073484
It is funny, I played FFVIII for the first time years ago because I was watching Spoony's review and thought, "lol, this doesn't look that bad". So I beat it, and it is still one of my favorite games that I keep coming back to and what cemented my love for JRPGs.

My only problems with this game are the lack of a challenge (except for Ultimecia, who is actually an incredibly satisfying last boss) and how they basically forget about developing the other characters and focus only on Squall (even if he is a good character).

Oh, and that I can't ditch Rinoa and waifu Quisty instead. That is a game-breaking flaw right there.
>>
File: Celes_fish.png (23 KB, 347x348) Image search: [Google]
Celes_fish.png
23 KB, 347x348
>>340077997

>laugh at all the stupid hot dog references thinking its a bad joke
>watch anime
>realize they're not talking about hot dogs but fried bread and the entire Balamb Garden is a parody of Japanese high school
>enjoy FF8 even more
>>
File: Selphie.jpg (178 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Selphie.jpg
178 KB, 640x400
I'm a hardcore fan with FF8, so many times I would even try to escape reality with lucid dreaming, I would be in Balamb Garden where I would often train with Zell in the training center and help Selphie with the Garden Festival, but one day as I was talking to Selphie, we went to my dormitory for a private talk. She immediately said, "You know you could live with us forever.." I gave her a confused look and she continued, "We understand that you live on earth and you REALLY wish to live here". I then said "How..How did you know?" She then giggled and said "Because we've been watching you, silly!"

This was a dream come true and I almost cried right there. She then said, "I talked with Headmaster Cid and he agreed that you would be PERFECT for SeeD, you just have to do...one thing". She then held my hand and looked deep into my eyes and said "...You have to kill yourself for the transfer to work correctly." I then gave her some questions, "How long do I have before the deal expires?" She then said "Cid said 3 months.." I added by saying "What's the most painless way?..." She giggled again, "Suicide will require pain buuut...if you want it quick...Get a gun and a nice shot to the head works.

I then agreed and she gave me a kiss on the forehead, "I know this will be tough but once it's over and done, you'll get to live here!" I then woke up and this was last week and i purchased a gun. I might actually kill myself because that dream just felt too real to be fake and my life isn't doing so grand.
>>
>>340078180

Every single plot line in the game is tied up perfectly.

Tell me one that isn't except.
>>
>>340076032
Disc 1 is so retarded that it's enjoyable. The problem is that Discs 2, 3, and 4 aren't and the gameplay isn't entertaining at any point because being able to break a game over my knee without trying just means that the game is shit.
>>
>>340078217

A lot of the stuff in the game was developed well in the Japanese version. We just got a typical hack translation in the west.
>>
>>340078049
Pretty much this. If you play FF8 'ironically' it can be kind of enjoyable because of how weird and awful it occasionally gets.

If it actually had not-totally-ass gameplay I wouldn't really mind the stupid plot and shit-tier characters. See: Final Fantasy X-2, which is completely retarded but at least has decent gameplay.
>>
>>340078296
>Tell me one that isn't except.

because it's not a plot line the game introduced. You are trying to inject fan fiction into an already established story.
>>
>>340078359

The characters are not shit tier. I think you're thinking of 6 and 7 and ESPECIALLY 10
>>
>>340078341
Yeah, I have heard about that. In particular about how Squall never actually says "whatever" in the original, and is suposed to come of as being much kinder than he does.

Maybe one day I will actually learn how to speak runes and play the original to see what it is like.
>>
>>340078378
Original Ultimecia poster here, I'm not saying the theory is true but it can fit and makes a great thematic whole with the rest of them game.

I am actually baffled they didn't just go with it and debunked it.
>>
>>340076936
>I don't know what a strawman is
cute
>>
>>340078506
>and debunked it.

because it was poorly written
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYxtnmY6Arw

nothing beats renzokuken in any game ever
>>
File: 1457379196111.gif (180 KB, 435x500) Image search: [Google]
1457379196111.gif
180 KB, 435x500
>>340078663
>no way to get Griever in the game
>>
File: 1447393629923.jpg (141 KB, 543x405) Image search: [Google]
1447393629923.jpg
141 KB, 543x405
>you will never ever live in balamb garden
>>
>>340078427
The characters are shit tier and collectively the worst party in the franchise.
Normally I wouldn't have even thought this was up for debate.

They're all just high school students with the same backstory and mostly bland, forgettable designs and personalities.

Even the often-hated FF13 has characters infinitely better and interesting than this turd of a game.
>>
>>340078648
Strawman is what people use to deflect legit complaints.

Spoony is the strawman FF8 fanboys use to deflect legit complaints

any e-celeb making a video on a game talking about how bad he game is gets used by the fanbase to discredit legit complaints.

EA used the gay people to deflect complaints against Dragon Age 2 and 3. And the ending of Mass Effect 3 to deflect legit complaints.

Ninja Theory used hair do deflect all complaints against DmC
>>
>>340078283
shit dude
>>
>>340078283
...is this pasta?
>>
>>340079052
How new are you?
>>
>>340079052
>>340079021
it's pasta
>>
>>340078834
>you can get his special move and have Quistis use it against him
>>
File: 1332940521785.jpg (174 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1332940521785.jpg
174 KB, 800x600
>>340079021
>>340079052
>people can't evern recognize "brb going to Balamb" anymore
>>
>>340073643
>blaming Spoony for /v/ hating VIII
You could troll /v/ by posting a thread about gunblades YEARS before Spoony posted his review.
>>
>>340073484
>Whatever hate that /v/ has for it was completely baseless
>completely baseless
>Baseless
>completely
Just because you enjoyed it does not make it immune to criticism, which it has received A LOT of.
>>340074585
No, that's IX you're thinking of.
>>
>>340078917

>Zell

the absolute madman himself. Amazing. Funny. Awesome. Kickass. Great character

>Irvine

Love his look. Love his limit breaks. Goes from pussy to badass by the end of the game

>Selphie

Perfect bubble headed girl character, a good female character to equalize Rinoa

>Rinoa

Also love her character. She grows from a pussy to a badass sorceress by the end of the game

>Squall

Best MC in the franchise

>Seifer

Chicken wuss

>Quistis

what's not to like?
>>
>>340079110
I want an awesome lion-angel-demon summon not some icky old hag
>>
>>340079101
I've been here for a decade, I'm just not autistic enough to memorize every instance of a shitpost.
>>
>>340079287
>No, that's IX you're thinking of.

but IX was good. VIII was total ass
>>
>>340073484
I really want this to come to PS4 next. Got halfway through the game one time and enjoyed it but got pissed cause I couldn't beat one bitch at the card game
>>
>>340078332
But Disk 2 has the giant drill shaped prison, the whole missile base section, the Balamb Garden Civil War, NORG, "GUYS WERE WERE ALL ORPHANS TOGETHER", the Battle of the Gardens complete with Rocket Cycles and hovercraft punch fights also hotdogs, that bizarre band minigame, Laguna - Caterpillar Slayer, Laguna costarring with REAL DRAGONS and so on.

And Disk 3 gets less stupid but gets into creepy fun weird territory. The abandoned Ragnarok, The Lunatic Pandora, The Lunar Cry a plethora of legit neat side content such as Odin and the Deep Sea Research Center, you get access to MOTHERFUCKING DOOM TRAIN. And it does still have its fair share of stupid shit such as Invisible Super Cities, President Laguna, Seifer counter killing Odin etc.

And Disk 4 is virtually just the final dungeon, but the Time Compression sequence is fantastic and Ultimecia's castle is legit one of the most interesting final dungeons in the series with the ability lock mechanic.

FFVIII is a beautiful combination of lots of pants on head retarded stuff, actually kinda creepy sci-fi stuff and some moments that actually legitimately work. If you have a sense of humour, can appreciate some cheese and aren't a joyless cunt then FFVIII comes out really damn well overall.

Also the fact that you can just turn off Random Encounters and beat the game in like 14 hours goes a long way to letting it get away with some of the dumb shit because it's not a huge 50 hour time investment.
>>
>>340073965
>strong enough to beat the final boss in an hour
You can't even get refining abilities + Card mod in an hour. Low level games are pretty easy, though. Junction a broke as fuck.
>story is fucking incredible as long as you have a sense of humor
You mean "little attention to detail and a extreme suspension of disbelief" right? Well, to each his own, I guess.
>>
File: ff12.jpg (165 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
ff12.jpg
165 KB, 1024x768
the only good ff after VII was XII
prove me wrong
protips : you cant
>>
>>340079365
Any mainline FF that isn't VIII is good enough, honestly.
>>
>>340079350
That's one of the most famous and ancient pasta's in /v/ history.
>>
>>340079350
lol newfag
I didn't get it either
>>
>>340079365
That wasn't the point.
>>
>>340079484
8, 9 and 10 were also good.
>>
>>340079484
Type 0 was good.
>>
>>340079052
>balamb garden pasta
How do you not know this one?
>>
>>340073484
Yeah man it is fucking amazing. Greatest card game I ever played.
>>
File: Riku.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1680) Image search: [Google]
Riku.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1680
>>340079568
E's y ryntluna vyh fedr FF10, cu syho desac E fuimt ajah dno du aclyba naymedo fedr milet tnaysehk, E fuimt pa eh Bikanel frana E fuimt uvdah dnyeh fedr Brother eh dra dnyehehk lahdan yht ramb Rikku fedr dra Pmedwpymm Vacdejym, pid uha tyo yc E fyc dymgehk du Rikku, fa fahd du so tunseduno vun y bnejyda dymg. Cra essateydamo cyet, "Oui ghuf oui luimt meja fedr ic vunajan.." E kyja ran y luhvicat muug yht cra luhdehiat, "Fa ihtancdyht dryd oui meja uh ayndr yht oui NAYMMO fecr du meja rana". E drah cyet "Ruf..Ruf tet oui ghuf?" Cra drah kekkmat yht cyet "Palyica fa'ja paah fydlrehk oui, cemmo!"

Drec fyc y tnays lusa dnia yht E ymsucd lneat nekrd drana. Cra drah cyet, "E dymgat fedr so vydran, Cid yht ra yknaat dryd oui fuimt pa BANVALD vun dra Al Bhed, oui zicd ryja du tu...uha drehk". Cra drah ramt so ryht yht muugat taab ehdu so aoac yht cyet "...Oui ryja du gemm ouincamv vun dra dnyhcvan du fung lunnaldmo." E drah kyja ran cusa xiacdeuhc, "Ruf muhk tu E ryja pavuna dra taym aqbenac?" Cra drah cyet "Cid cyet 3 suhdrc.." E yttat po cyoehk "Fryd'c dra sucd byehmacc fyo?..." Cra kekkmat ykyeh, "Cieleta femm naxiena byeh piiid...ev oui fyhd ed xielg...kad y kih yht y hela crud du dra rayt fungc.

E drah yknaat yht cra kyja sa y gecc uh dra vunarayt, "E ghuf drec femm pa duikr pid uhla ed'c ujan yht tuha, oui'mm kad du meja rana!" E drah fuga ib yht drec fyc mycd faag yht e binlrycat y kih. E sekrd yldiymmo gemm socamv palyica dryd tnays zicd vamd duu naym du pa vyga yht so meva ech'd tuehk cu knyht.

P.S. the pasta was once linked to some teen commitiing suicide
>>
>>340079484
>after VII
I've enjoyed everything but the MMOs(never played). VIII's plot is garbage, but the game enjoyable for a playthrough. Probably won't play it again, though.
>>
File: final_fantasy_x_tidus.jpg (22 KB, 479x358) Image search: [Google]
final_fantasy_x_tidus.jpg
22 KB, 479x358
>>340079676
>X
>loving a game where this fucker is the hero
at least X-2 had waifus
>>
>>340076032
>School exam to survive D-Day and escape robot spider bots
To be fair, you were just supposed to guard one little area and Seifer disobeyed orders to make you all follow those Galbadians.
>>
>>340079768
Fuck she's so sexy
>>
>>340079484
XII is actually the most boring game I have ever played. Not even an hyperbole, I couldn't bring myself to put more than 1 hour on it.
>>
File: ForbiddenMemories-Cover-EN.jpg (122 KB, 640x639) Image search: [Google]
ForbiddenMemories-Cover-EN.jpg
122 KB, 640x639
>>340079719
When the best thing most people have to say about your video game is that it includes a card game with less depth than this busted piece of shit, you know your game sucks major ass.
>>
>>340079853
>implying X didn't have waifus
It's the SAME GODDAMN WORLD. You see practically all the characters from the previous game.
>>
File: deku9.jpg (188 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
deku9.jpg
188 KB, 1920x1080
>>340079484
The main game and it's story were total shit.

The only redeemed quality is it's post-game content.

Going up in the ranks of that guild and watching all the members slowly start to respect you was so goddamn satisfying.

Tfw you finally Obtain the Order of Ambrosia.
>>
>>340079853
The worst thing about Titus is his voice

As a character, he becomes better as the game progresses.
>>
this is a classic pre 2010 /v/ thread
>>
>>340073743
>I never drew anything the entire game
You missed some GFs then.

8 is probably my favourite FF too, although I finished all games from 1 to LR:13 and they're literally all great.
>>
>>340079929
>I couldn't bring myself to put more than 1 hour on it.
I mean it isn't my favorite either, but goddamn do you have a short attention span.
>>
>>340079963
>have to wail on Yiazmat for 2 fucking hours of real life game time

The fuck where they thinking?
>>
>>340080086
That superbosses aren't for casuals?
>>
>>340073484
The game, while purposefully being based around the couple, left everyone in the dust. I remember getting party members and by the end of the game was left wondering: who or why were they even in my group? Had they given even a small backstory arc for everyone (i.e.:ffvii) it would've been one I liked.
>>
>>340080086
Wasn't there some superboss in FFXI that players couldn't kill after fighting 10 hours straight or something?
>>
>>340080215
The only character who had no backstory was Irvine. I guess you could argue Quistis, but her spotlight was in the earlygame.
>>
File: Final Fantasy IV__3034.png (30 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
Final Fantasy IV__3034.png
30 KB, 256x384
>>340078917

>The characters are shit tier and collectively the worst party in the franchise.
You're thinking of FFIV and X. Characters like Zell, Quistis, Cid and Selphie are naive, but genuinely nice and fun characters. Squall actually develops over time. The only real shit characters are Rinoa and Irvine, which aren't even important to most of the story.

Compare that to the cast of FFIV who literally rush to kill themselves. Or FFX where they can't even fucking tell Tidus basic shit and get captured by incompetent Al Bhed. The cast of FFVIII look like fucking geniuses compared to these people.
>>
>>340080215
Yeah, they all really felt like an instance of "Oh shit, we need to add some generic party members".
>>
>>340079484
XII isn't any better than XIII, but its problems are the complete opposites.

Instead of corridors, there's huge empty fields.
Instead of constant cutscenes, there's next to no story.
Instead of unbearably annoying characters, the whole cast is just bland.

The one thing they have in common is that they both play themselves
>>
>>340079768
Why did they stop making any more Rikku stuff?
>>
>>340079462
It's more are you the type of person that can enjoy a bad movie or not than "little attention to detail and a extreme suspension of disbelief".

If you're the type of person that can watch the live action Street Fighter movie and have a good time laughing at it then you'll probably find FFVIII very entertaining.

If you're the kind of joyless cunt that expects every single movie to be Citizen Kane or Schindler's List then yeah you'll probably hate it.

Thing is though with JRPGs none of them have legitimately great stories that will be held up as excellent literary works. If you refuse to embrace and enjoy the stupidity inherent to FFVIII but are happy to defend other JRPG stories as legitimately good then there's no helping you.
>>
The best thing FF8 did was make Gilgamesh become a recurring character throughout the series.
>>
File: Aern_Absolute_Virtue_(FFXI).png (120 KB, 687x437) Image search: [Google]
Aern_Absolute_Virtue_(FFXI).png
120 KB, 687x437
>>340080268
>>
I'll accept people complaining about the game system being broken, but people shitting on the story of this game for being stupid and then going on to praise any other final fantasy have no ground to stand on. They're all varying degrees of ridiculous.
>>
>when you haven't beaten ff8 since you were a little kid
>realizing you totally missed the part where Laguna and Raine are implied to be Squalls mother and father
>the two weather patterns, combined with his place of birth, Windhill make a "Squall"
>him calling Ellone "sis" makes sense finally and why they were orphans

;-; I cri erytime
>>
>>340080180
There is nothing hard about Yiazmat it's just mind-bogingly tedious

>>340080268
Pandemonium Warden took 24+ to kill

Absolute Virtue couldn't be killed
>>
File: asspull.png (89 KB, 635x470) Image search: [Google]
asspull.png
89 KB, 635x470
>>340077268
Amnesia is actually mentioned in the tutorial if you actually read shit at the start of the game.
>>
>>340078952
>Strawman is what people use to deflect legit complaints.
no, a strawman is to create another argument, and then to attack that argument, as if it was the one being made
I didn't do that
>Spoony is the strawman FF8 fanboys use to deflect legit complaints
spoony is a strawman? a person can't be a strawman numbnuts

>EA used the gay people to deflect complaints
what the fuck are you talking about
back to /pol/
>>
>>340080405
>If you're the kind of joyless cunt that expects every single movie to be Citizen Kane or Schindler's List then yeah you'll probably hate it.
I get what you're saying. Like I've said, the game can be enjoyable, but to act as though it's not seriously flawed is just madness. You seem to understand that, though, so I don't need to argue with you. OP, on the other hand, made a ridiculous claim.
>>
>>340073484
Discs 1 and 4 were alright, but suffering through the middle discs spoiled it for me.
>>
>>340080558
>There is nothing hard about Yiazmat
You know, besides the hours of preparation that you have to undergo beforehand. God forbid you're not using a guide to tackle the boss(which, ideally, you shouldn't).

>>340080605
We know. The sad thing is, that's a major plot point that was seemingly glossed over.
>>
File: Dvergr_2_(FFXI).png (144 KB, 475x464) Image search: [Google]
Dvergr_2_(FFXI).png
144 KB, 475x464
>>340080268
>Upon its introduction into Final Fantasy XI, more than 36 players marathon fighting Pandemonium Warden for 18 hours were unable to defeat it. They were forced to retire after members of the party started to become physically ill; after such a prolonged period of gaming, they began to faint and vomit, creating news reports to be filed in argument of the game's User Message present at every login, which states that Square Enix "...does not wish to see [their players'] lives..." suffer as a result of extensive play.
>>
>ITT ff7 fans once again prove they are the most cancerous fanbase in all of /v/
>>
>>340080606
Wow, are you actually legitimately retarded?

The strawman argument being created here is a person that only hates FF8 because they got their opinion from this 'Spoony' guy whoever the fuck that is.

FF8 is shit no matter who says it, anyways.
>>
>>340080605
is that the PC at Squall's desk?

I just got the GFs from there and left
>>
>>340080606
>no, a strawman is to create another argument, and then to attack that argument, as if it was the one being made
That's what you did. You dismissed the non-existent(at that point) argument, and instead made the claim that Spoony is the reason for people disliking the game.
>>
>>340080784
>You know, besides the hours of preparation
That's not the issue, the issue is the 2 hours you need to wail on him because of his HP pool

DDS Satan/Demifiend are a hundred times more difficult but it's not as tedious
>>
File: keita44.gif (613 KB, 500x320) Image search: [Google]
keita44.gif
613 KB, 500x320
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0WdQDPRwb4

>Hearing this for the first time as a kid.
>>
>>340080849
nice strawman, FF8 fanboy

>>340080968
>that Spoony is the sole reason for people disliking the game.
fixed
>>
>>340080849
Nobody is even talking about VII.
>>
>>340081060
see, Strawman. FF8 fanboys think FF7 fans are ruining the thread
>>
File: ff8 waifu.png (96 KB, 635x480) Image search: [Google]
ff8 waifu.png
96 KB, 635x480
>>340080961
Yeah. There's a ton of little world building tidbits on it.
>>
>>340081006
Fair enough.
>>340081052
>fixed
Thanks, I guess.
>>
>>340081006
Both DDS games are also infinitely better than most FF games.
>>
>>340080961
Most people did.
>>
>>340080605
>Only mentioning an important plot point once in some place most players skip

cool
>>
>>340080375
Pretty much this though the gambit system is cool.
>>
File: Timber_TV_Station.jpg (85 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Timber_TV_Station.jpg
85 KB, 600x450
>>340081619
FF8 has a lot of stuff you have to actually look for, anon. Adel being responsible for the weird messages in Timber is just one example.
>>
>>340073484
How did you play it, op? Did you fucking slaughter it, or did you let it slaughter you?
>>
>>340080910
>Wow, are you actually legitimately retarded?
been asking myself that about you

>The strawman argument being created here is a person that only hates FF8 because they got their opinion from this 'Spoony' guy whoever the fuck that is.
that's not a strawman argument

>>340080968
>That's what you did
no I didn't
>You dismissed the non-existent(at that point) argument
I dismissed an argument that didn't even exist? are you reading what you write?
>>
>>340081773

never noticed this
what does it say?
>>
>>340074174
I should read the thread. I guess you slaughtered it. Good for you.
>>
>>340081773
>actually look for
>Adel being responsible for the weird messages in Timber is just one example.
Isn't that explained later in the game? Like, as part of the plot? Pretty sure Laguna tells you about Adel.
>>
glad you managed to enjoy the game apart from the hate it gets on here. it really does so much good and i think if people gave the game a chance they would realize they can relate to the story/characters pretty well. instead of getting mad at what seems like 'random' plot points keep in mind the game is a coming of age story. squall isnt angsty, he just thinks being mature means doing your duty and ignoring your feelings. the game and characters are all designed to open him up so that by the end you realize he's a pretty decently portrayed adolescent learning his purpose type thing
>>
>>340081909
I am alive here
I will never let you forget about me
Bring me back there
>>
>>340081773
to be fair it looks like gibberish
>>
>>340081909
The text is on the screen, dude.
>>
>>340082108

fukkkk thats creepy

this game is great
>>
>>340081956
They tell you Adel's tomb is responsible for the disturbance but they don't tell you she is sending messages to Earth, you have to notice it yourself
>>
File: selphie failed you.png (26 KB, 631x463) Image search: [Google]
selphie failed you.png
26 KB, 631x463
There's also a bunch of stuff on the PC that Selphie writes later on, and you can read some of the Timber Maniacs magazines that Laguna wrote.
>>
File: Seifer-ffviii-battle.png (65 KB, 263x446) Image search: [Google]
Seifer-ffviii-battle.png
65 KB, 263x446
>>340081773
>Seifer tells you about his "romantic dream" of being a sorceress's knight
>get Laguna section way later in a game
>he is starring in some movie where he is a sorceress's knight
>he doesn't know how to hold a gunblade properly
>realise Seifer uses his gunblade the same way
>he watched that movie as a kid and is emulating Laguna's character as a role model
lol what a dork
>>
>>340082123

Her tomb's orbit interferes with the planet's radio waves, which is why, when the tomb comes down, the radios start working again. Those messages are indeed projected onto the screen by her. They say things like "I'll never forget this" and "Bring me back there," etc. I don't remember exactly what they are.
>>
>>340073484

agreed OP underrated and one of the best FF
>>
File: 13414141.jpg (15 KB, 300x294) Image search: [Google]
13414141.jpg
15 KB, 300x294
>>340082425

HOLLLYYY SHITTTT WHAT THE FUCK??
>>
>>340082567
Honestly? This shit is old news but pretty great
>>
>>340073484
ff8 is one of my favourite game sof all time. ending was perfect. it's good that you feel the same way
>>
File: 1463445999199s.jpg (3 KB, 87x125) Image search: [Google]
1463445999199s.jpg
3 KB, 87x125
>>340081017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr8fSPDXABs
>>
File: 1462948508350s.jpg (8 KB, 249x250) Image search: [Google]
1462948508350s.jpg
8 KB, 249x250
>>340082425
god damnit i need to replay this shit

haven't done it for like 10 years
>>
You know what, by the standards of AAA trash these days, OP just might be right.
>>
>>340076603
>/v/
>"the community"

pick one.
>>
>>340082450
>Guys, radio communications don't work. We need a plan to make this broadcast!

>What if we repaired and used a radio tower that was from before the interference hit!?

>BRILLIANT!

Oh FFVIII, I love you so.
>>
>>340082425
>wander into Balamb Town
>old man tells you the creation myth of Hyne and the origin of the Sorceress
>the Momba help Squall because he is the son of Laguna and they remember his blood

It's the little things
>>
>>340082425
yup there's lots of cool stuff in ff8 like this, the ultimecia = rinoa thing, how there's hints of laguna being squall's father, same thing with edea/cid and seifer, the lore of the world like centra ruins, deepsea facility, how they basically made magic from copying the older sorcerreses and shit
>>
File: Collapse.gif (1020 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
Collapse.gif
1020 KB, 500x373
>>340082768
>tfw they tried to use the music from "The Rock" but pussied out and changed it for the full version from the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDRCF31ggY
>>
>>340073484
>He basically wrote his own destiny.

That happened a lot throughout the game. The power of self-fulfilling prophecies. Squall's fear of abandonment prevented him from opening up and challenging his world views. Laguna and Julia's misunderstanding about the other prevented them from meeting earlier and having a more meaningful relationship, that they both wanted. Society's fear of the prophesied Sorceress of legend and hatred of magic created the genocidal Ultimecia. Ultimecia's fear of mortality created the time paradox that allowed SeeD to kill her.

A lot of people go around spouting that the theme of the game is just "fate" or "destiny", that everything was foretold to happen the way it did, but I think that's underselling it. I think the theme of the game is that you create your own destiny with your own actions, whether you wrongly believe its being determined for you or not.
>>
>>340083313

>When Edea tells you how she got her powers. A dying sorceress gave them to her 13 years prior
>At the end ultimecia during the time bend gives her powers to Edea and squall tells Edea of SeeDs existence to kill the sorceress
>Edea sends them all to Balamb to make the future come true.
>>
>>340081773
I remember looking at that and figuring it was moon runes because it's hard to see on a crt. Too bad because that would have been really cool.
>>
>>340083420

People who say that the plot is shit are absolutely mental and didn't realize the little things in the game that make it so good
Thread replies: 180
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.