[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People can sensibly argue that they like Metal Gear because its
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
People can sensibly argue that they like Metal Gear because its the stealth series with the most stylistic identity

"style over substance" isn't necessarily a bad thing, because visual elements are a merit of their own: for example, one can easily consider DMC3 a better game than Ninja Gaiden black simply because its visual and stylistic identity is much stronger, even if its mechanics arent as deep

However the fundamental flaw with this franchise is that it devotes around half of its gametime into cutscenes- not because non-interactivity is inherently bad, but because the "story" and the writing that these games shove down your throat are "that kid" tier: every single character sans maybe 1 or 2 in the entire franchise are awful, and every single cutscene is exposition about retarded plot devices and cringy backstories

why do people defend metal gear again? The cons seem to infinitely outweigh the pro's
>>
>>340056896
Because is fun
>>
>>340056896
it's fun you autist
>>
>>340056896
nostalgiagoggles

The first one was made in a time when most games didn't care much about story, then they got wrapped up in autism and convinced themselves it's not a trainwreck with retcons out the ass and very little consistency
>>
>>340057069
Nice samefag.
>>
>>340057127
nice comeback
>>
File: 1435111729774.jpg (68 KB, 836x673) Image search: [Google]
1435111729774.jpg
68 KB, 836x673
what a shit thread

aren't you late for first period OP??
>>
>>340056896
Some retards genuinely enjoy its status as a moviegame, its why MGSV was met with such autism here

Mgs3 actually has a lot of uninterrupted gameplay after the tutorial, though
>>
The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.
>>
>>340056896
That's why I kinda liked V the best. Yeah, the plot wasn't great, but Metal Gear plots have always been dumb. V just didn't waste as much time on it.
>>
Metal Gear Solid 2 had some of the worst video game characters I have ever encountered

Raiden
Rose
Otacon (He was fine in MGS1)
Emma

All made me want to turn off the game.

When they started answering questions towards the end I was so insulted. It made me never want to play another MGS game and it may have even ruined the first game for me.

I don't even want to know what fucking happens in MGS4. I know Big Boss is still alive and shows up at the end or something.

I'm going to play all the other games eventually but I have no interest in knowing what happens after Sons Of Liberty.
>>
>>340056896
>style over substance
Let's just look at the features they added
>Survival viewer to heal your wounds
>Eating system with food poisoning and rotten food
>CQC
>Camo index
>Swappable and downloadable camos, also obtainable by bosses as bonus with special effects
>Weight system
>Removable suppressors
>Noise system
>Locked doors with passwords achieved through interrogation
>Animals system, attacking you and escaping from you
>Food and live animals system to throw on people
>Enemy dogs
>Enemy gunships guarding some spots
Not to mention the graphics are great for a 2004 game
>>
File: splinter-cell1.jpg (168 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
splinter-cell1.jpg
168 KB, 1280x1024
>>340058498
>Survival viewer to heal your wounds
>Eating system with food poisoning and rotten food

browsing menus

>CQC

hold/ press one button and do a directional input, all the actually useful things like choking and human shields are in all good stealth games

>Swappable and downloadable camos, also obtainable by bosses as bonus with special effects

more menu browsing topped off by the game telling you exactly what to wear at any exact spot youre standing on

>Weight system
>Removable suppressors
>Noise system
>Locked doors with passwords achieved through interrogation

lol

>Not to mention the graphics are great for a 2004 game

pic related is the 2004 stealth competition
>>
>>340058840
>It's a "it sucks because Splinter cell is better" post
That doesn't change the fact that MGS3 introduced many features and it's the game with the best pacing and least retarded plot
>>
File: 1450802903199.jpg (60 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450802903199.jpg
60 KB, 1280x720
>>340059016
>best pacing

automatically invalidated by there being 45 minutes of cutscenes before the game starts

>least retarded plot

yeah its not retarded at all to try to extort "le feels" out of people because this random mentor character decides to betray USA while secretly apparently still being a le patriot while giving nukes to an insane russian so you can kill her but DURR SHE WAS STILL A PATRIOT

and yeah, not being splinter cell is kind of a fault when MGS3 and onwards desperately tried to be more like it but werent nearly as good
>>
>>340059319
>45 minutes of cutscenes before the game starts
You're shitposting
>yeah its not retarded at all to try to extort "le feels" out of people because this random mentor character decides to betray USA while secretly apparently still being a le patriot while giving nukes to an insane russian so you can kill her but DURR SHE WAS STILL A PATRIOT
Anything sounds retarded if you put it that way
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.