[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best turn based strategy game and why is it advance wars?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
What is the best turn based strategy game and why is it advance wars?
>>
Fire Emblem. Advance Wars was too complicated even with save states so I gave up.
>>
The original Master of Orion.
>>
>>340054672
Pokemon Red version
>>
Best console strategy/tactics game? I'd agree with that, though 2 is slightly better imo.

I think PC has better games of the genres overall, though.
>>
>>340056091
I don't know. I think the PC TBS games have too much micromanaging and other superfluous mechanics and lose focus on the actual strategy part of the games.
>>
>>340054672
what are some other good ones?

i like xcom and shadowrun, not so big on civ 5.

heard xenonaughts is good
>>
>>340056432
valkyria chronicles
front mission series
ring of red
>>
if you want classic excellence and can tolerate using dosbox, anon already mentioned master of orion (first one)

another super old one is master of magic, which is the vastly superior original version of all the various fantasy civs that get made

kamidori if you want to fuck your units after you level them up

shining force if you like centaur girls

my earliest TBS was called Archon on the apple2, that was an awesome game for its time but is hilariously dated now, I mean just look at it. In my minds eye this is just as exciting as new games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfJFDx_2qyU

I feel like I know a lot of these types of games, but for some reason I can't remember them
>>
>>340056298
I'd agree with that. Take the original XCOM for instance.

The plus side is that PC games like this tend to have better AI than, say, Advance Wars.
>>
>>340054672
Gemfire
>>
>>340054672
>Best games
>dead
I like AW but if it's best why's it dead
Why are best games dead
>>
JAGGED ALLIANCE 2!
>>
>>340057263
Because IS decided they needed to make more Fire Emblem, and trash like Project Steam and TMSxFE
>>
>>340057263
>why's it dead

Modern Nintendo, that's why.
>>
>>340054672

Don't forget SRW and Nectaris! Everyone forgets Nectaris.
>>
>>340057259
oh thats right, I played that a lot too on SNES. It's really simple compared to ROTTK, which is already pretty simple

and I stand corrected, the very earliest TBS I played was called Reforger 88, that was before Archon. And unlike Archon it was pure strategy, and didn't have the real time combat screen
>>
>>340054672
Advance wars is up there. Civ is good too.
>>
File: Spellcross_map.png (307 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Spellcross_map.png
307 KB, 1024x768
That's not Spellcross

But seriously it's Civilization. Advance Wars is awesome too
>>
>>340056298
If you want a minimalist strategy game (not tactics), I'd say go with Master of Orion 1.
>>
>>340055264
>people say that AW is too hard
>finished most mission with A + rank first time

feels good man, I guess reading all those military strategy books for no reason paid off.
>>
>>340057819
yeah thinking its hard is weird for two reasons, that guy should go back and try it again

number one, normal tanks+artillery just crushes anything, and non-conventional maps have similarly strong and simple strats

number two, most maps have a gimmick that lets you cheese the AI in a very short number of turns
>>
>>340057819
>>340058181
Oh, what I actually meant was boring.
>>
Which Men of War should I play?

Is Valkyria Chronicles good?

Is Company of Heroes 2 good?
>>
>>340058181
Also speaking for advanced wars 2 if you drag the battle out long enough it seems like you can never lose.

I really enjoyed advanced wars dual strike but it was my first one. I know there are a bunch of complaints over the perks and combining specials etc but it made it that much more challenging. Got 2 not too long ago and it's fun but seems overall way easier. Most missions I get A or S
>>
>>340058493
Assault Squad 2 is the newest and most complete.

VK is good

CoH 2 is good, but you have to make a moral choice how much Judaism you can take
>>
>>340059104
>I know there are a bunch of complaints over the perks and combining specials etc but it made it that much more challenging
That's what made it casual as fuck. Hard mode is easier than normal thanks to those things.

I found the first two games way harder than DS. Even DoR was more challenging, though cheesing the AI was very easy there.
>>
File: wars world.jpg (781 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
wars world.jpg
781 KB, 1920x1080
>>
File: 1427410064159.jpg (2 MB, 2336x1727) Image search: [Google]
1427410064159.jpg
2 MB, 2336x1727
Is there a game that tackles the strategy of having multiple armies or platoons and the perspective of battles as Total War but with the turn combat of FE/AW? Have some fetish of mine in return
>>
>>340059956
Dunno man so far 2 is a breeze. At least in DS the AI could fuck you back just as hard with its specials. Especially if it got some game crippling specials
>>
What is the best ____ and why is it ___?

Go fuck yourself with a spiked boot OP.
>>
>>340055264
Was it really?

I remember being really good and just a kid.

Course maybe I sucked dick and I was a kid so dont remember.
>>
>>340061292
When did you stop?
>>
>>340060837
I've been looking for sauce but I've failed
>>
>>340058454
fuck off
>>
Who is the biggest faggot and why is it OP?
>>
>>340061423
Its an edit it should be backwards, bimbofication and mindbreak should be the tags for you
>>
>>340061561
>bimbofication
I don't think I've seen that tag
>>
>>340054672
Great game OP.
Although my vote goes to Golden Sun.
>>
>>340060558
lol
>>
File: 1422318174223.jpg (59 KB, 744x758) Image search: [Google]
1422318174223.jpg
59 KB, 744x758
>>340061561
I knew something was off. That line about piercings is too good to come from Japan.
>>
>>340054672
That fucking music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-T8KwCCNh8
>>
>>340062293
best CO, best theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6WmP3AXCV0
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.