[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
As the era finally comes to an end and can rest in peace. Overall
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: the phantom pain boxart.png (353 KB, 432x542) Image search: [Google]
the phantom pain boxart.png
353 KB, 432x542
As the era finally comes to an end and can rest in peace. Overall whats the review on the entire series?

Will it go down in history as something truly unique or a blunder that will forever carry a stain as time rusts it away.
>>
It was a messy slog of shit with little coherence and retcons out the ass
>>
I WAS BORN IN A SMALL VILLAGE
>>
>>340018076
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRC_TYqENqo
>>
>>340017852

That box cover so so much better.

Personally, I think it'll go down as a not a masterpiece but not a blunder. But a classic, not bad not good. Just something we can look back as aging old fucks in nursing homes and smile. From hearing Davids speech at the end of MGS2 about life

To kiefers drunken buffoonery of "Keptchawaitinghuh"
>>
>>340018558
why does he drink so much?
>>
File: kiefer pain.png (403 KB, 540x645) Image search: [Google]
kiefer pain.png
403 KB, 540x645
>>340019335

Thats a good question.
>>
MGS1 was fucking revolutionary in how it told its story and probably singlehandedly destroyed the "silliwood" genre of games that were pure FMV with occasional quick-time events.

MGS2 was a technical marvel for its time, though its story arguably went off the rails, especially towards the end.

MGS3 wasn't a major leap in technology or storytelling technique like the first two were, but it's probably the most well-executed game in the series overall.

4 and 5 is when things started going off the rails, but they still did what they were trying to do well enough to not tarnish the reputation of the series as a whole.
>>
>>340017852

MGS will be remembered as half baked
>>
Metal Gear 1 (and 2 in Japan) will always be remembered as cool games for their time.

Metal Gear Solid 1 will continue to be seen as a revolutionary achievement and be in many people's nostalgia.

Metal Gear Solid 2 will continue to be divisive.

Metal Gear Solid 3 will continue to be seen as one of the best video games ever.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will continue to be seen as a great game by morons, despite the fact it's an atrocity.

And when the dust settles, Metal Gear Solid V will be remembered as a great enjoyable game with a vocal minority that hates it because it doesn't fit their headcanon.
>>
>>340021764
>And when the dust settles, Metal Gear Solid V will be remembered as a great enjoyable game with a vocal minority that hates it because it doesn't fit their headcanon.

No, I'm pretty sure it'll be remembered as a game with a lot of potential that was never finished.
>>
>>340017852
The series as a whole?

Much like Big Boss himself, it was great in the early years but lost its way with age.
>>
>>340022043
Hadn't played after 3 as that other console was taking up my days however if things aren't stressful could check the marketplace to give them a go. Make an arcade game so the gears would be playable and I'll definitely have a complete collection.
>>
>>340022043
Nah, the same can be said of 2 and no one thinks of it that way nowadays. Just like no one will think of it that way when your memes die.
>>
>>340019335
i want an answer to this. it's okay to get drunk and all, but this guy just goes overboard
>>
>>340021764
>Metal Gear Solid V will be remembered as a great enjoyable game with a vocal minority that hates it because it doesn't fit their headcanon.
I doubt this, if only because MGSV is designed to have zero replay value.
>>
>>340024198
Who cares. He's wealthy. Likes to party. There is no need for an explanation.
>>
>>340021764
3 was shit
>>
>>340024326
>MGSV is designed to have zero replay value

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's actually the opposite.
I enjoy replaying missions with different loadouts and strategies.
>>
I've never played a MGS game, and I don't feel like I missed out on anything
>>
>>340021764
>Metal Gear Solid V will be remembered as a great enjoyable game with a vocal minority that hates it because it doesn't fit their headcanon.

Oh, just stop it. MGS V would have been a decent game (decent, not good) if it was meant to be anything other than the conclusion of the series. As a capstone to the Metal Gear series it's an anticlimax of laughable proportions.
>>
>>340017852
Will forever be remembered as a massive disappointment. It could have been great conclusion to the series.
Now the series just ends... with a wet fart.
>>
>>340026058

MGSV is perfect for you.

It's a fun game.
>>
Its an ubisoft tier game. Hideo went to shit since pw. In my mand the series ended with 4.
>>
>>340017852
As a series it's overall very memorable. Every game is distinct in its own right. V is a good game despite being awkwardly paced and lacking gameplay content, not to mention the shit story.

V could have used some more areas like Camp Omega or OKB Zero. If there had been like 5-6 areas like those scattered throughout the game, with a big moment at the end of each with a boss fight and a cutscene with Keifer being more vocal during it. It would have been gold for most of the game.

Also it lacked good boss fights in general. It needed a band of boss characters like FOXHOUND or Dead Cell. I'm assuming one of the writers for 1, 2, and 3 left after those and that's why MGS games no longer have memorable boss characters.
>>
Writing is "that kid" tier
>you play as this super secret dude
>then you meet this guy who is your friend but he actually doublecrosses you
>then you fight this guy and he dies but not really
>then you find out that guy who you killed that is actually alive is your ally and you were fooled by this guy
Etc.
>>
>>340021764
>because it doesn't fit their headcanon.

No. Because there's no personality, no dialogue and no ending whatsoever. 50% of the important events are explained in the fucking credits after The Man Who Sold The World mission, which is a copy of the tutorial. Not a great goobye to a 28yo series.

Retarded unimportant missions like "extract muh containers" or "rescue some retarded fag without any personality", bad level design (OKB Zero is awesome though).

Gameplay is fucking awesome, but MGSV has a shit ton of flaws other than the fact that it doesn't fit with my headcanon.
>>
>>340025453
Yeah, once or twice. You replay the missions and maybe even 100% the game. And then you never boot the game up again because playing one or two missions isn't worth it - none of them are good enough to justify booting the game up, and unlike a full campaign game like MGS1-4 it isn't all clumped together in one batch of content you have to take as is.

So the only option at that point is to start over from scratch, wiping your save and re-grinding all that stuff, but no one wants to do that.

MGSV is a game that takes forever to truly complete and then you'll never touch it again. Meanwhile, I'll be playing MGS1-4 every year for years to come.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.