[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is too hard for a game to be? Can a game ever be too hard?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: 1435736551124.jpg (46 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1435736551124.jpg
46 KB, 720x480
How hard is too hard for a game to be?

Can a game ever be too hard?
>>
>>340003094
although there is an inherent satisfaction to completing something challenging (mostly for masochists), games should be hard only if there is a good reason or meaning behind it.
>>
>>340003094
I enjoy a good challenge, but anything that gets too frustrating too fast is where I draw the line. Things like Kaizo-like Mario levels or F-Zero GX. I haven't even played any Souls games because of their frustrating reputation. I don't have the time nor the patience for that shit.
>>
>>340003094
>Can a game ever be too hard?
Only if it is simply impossible to complete with cheats or exploits. So long as the mechanics are well done and perfectly fair, rewarding a player's skill, time, and effort, then generally it isn't "too hard".

That said a game can be "hard" if isn't designed well.
>>
>>340004337
without*
>>
>>340003094
If it's literally impossible, then it's too hard.

Otherwise, it's fine.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (268 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
268 KB, 1920x1080
>>340003094
A well designed game can be surmounted by practice and mastery of established rules and mechanics. If a challenge is hard but approachable, it becomes immensely satisfying to conquer it.

If the only possible victory is through sheer chance, clearing the challenge does not feel rewarding or gratifying, it somehow continues to feel frustrating and at best you'll be relieved that it's over.
>>
It's okay to be hard as long as it isn't hard because it's unfair or unbalanced.
>>
>>340003094

>tfw medabots is dead
>>
World 7 of Cloudberry Kingdom = too hard.
>>
>>340003094
I'm more curious as to what people consider hard in turn-based RPGs.
>>
File: image.jpg (496 KB, 800x509) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
496 KB, 800x509
>>
>>340006147
Boss that takes more than 3 hours to grind to stand a chance.
>>
You should read up on Wizardry 4.

That's too hard.
>>
>>340008150
You don't need to go "Wiz 4 hard" to be "too hard".
>>
>>340008339
That's fair too.
>>
>>340003094
Probably not what you were thinking of when you asked but in my opinion if the solution to a games puzzle is so convoluted that the only reasonable way to solve it is by referring to a strategy guide then the puzzle is "too hard."
>>
File: gradius3_title2_super.gif (45 KB, 304x224) Image search: [Google]
gradius3_title2_super.gif
45 KB, 304x224
>>340003094
>Can a game ever be too hard?

They had to recall the cabinets because even the Japanese thought it was too hard.
>>
>>340004103
Souls games aren't that bad I am a total casual scrub when it comes to vidya, but I beat them with relative ease.
>>
It's hard to give an answe that applies to all games/players, but in general I'd say it's when the difficulty becomes less about teaching/forcing the player to git gud and more about simply being annoying.

A well-made hard game gives the player all of the tools they need to deal with any given situation, and has a logical progression of challenges that allow a patient player to build up the skills they need to progress. A badly-made hard game just throws a bunch of bullshit at the player with no rhyme or reason and no consideration of how it can be approached with the tools at the player's disposal.

Basically good hard games are designed to feel rewarding as you get better at them, bad hard games are designed to be frustrating for the sake of being frustrating.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.