[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
which was better?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Shadowrun.jpg (767 KB, 1279x897) Image search: [Google]
Shadowrun.jpg
767 KB, 1279x897
which was better?
>>
Are you fishing for that FPS anon?
>>
File: 1447467976627.png (8 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1447467976627.png
8 KB, 256x256
>>339971412
The one with the Dog Shaman.

>dog controls your destiny
>>
>>339971412
Genesis

Better gameplay
>>
Genesis one, IT WAS A FUCKING SANDBOX. And the matric part was the best

snes, in the other hand was just a other common game on rails. Too bad shadowrun returns was based on the snes one :(
>>
>>339971412
I don't know, but the box art on the left is dope.
>>
>>339972486
They just recycled the sourcebook art.
>>
>>339972312

>Too bad shadowrun returns was based on the snes one :(

Was is that bad?
>>
>SNES ShadowRun
+ music
+ atmosphere
+ story
+ presentation
- hacking
- controls

>Genesis ShadowRun
+ hacking
+ non-linear
+ controls
+ visuals
- music
- story

In conclusion: Genesis game has higher replay value, so it beats out SR, although the SNES game is worth playing through as well.
>>
>>339972739
don't fix what aint broke
>>
>>339972904

Sorry, meant to say, why is that bad?
>>
Well, according to /v/ Genesis ports are always better than SNES ports, so it isn't even worth asking. It could be any game.
>>
>>339972904
Shadowrun Returns was pretty bad at launch. Couldn't save manually, had to rely on checkpoints. They've aded in saving since then, it's alright. Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both better than Returns, though
>>
>>339973117
Neither is a port. They are completely different games.
>>
>>339973340

Sorry, I should have said version, not port. Hell according to /v/ Genesis is better than SNES period.
>>
>>339972215
>>339972312
These. It's the one that deserves a remake, or a nod.
>>
>>339973117
>Genesis ports are always better

Zombies Ate My Neighbors says otherwise
>>
>>339971412
I love them both for different reasons.

SNES has a better story and music.
Genesis is more truthful to the source material.

Shame Returns and what followed didn't borrow from both sources.
>>
File: 1399250331148.gif (202 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1399250331148.gif
202 KB, 500x280
>Went to PAX Prime last year
>Rocking my Shadowrun Returns shirt from the kickstarter
>Harebrained Schemes booth there
>See Jordan Weisman
>Starstruck easy so I'm freaking out
>He compliments me on my shirt as I approach their surprisingly busy booth
>Get him to sign my 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook
>"Never Trust a Dragon!" Written in big on the front page.
>How I felt

Fuck me, he was nice.
>>
>>339973858
Nope. That one is also better on Genesis.
>>
>>339974073

Why?
>>
>>339974103
The map was better, the flamethrower was fun, and the blood was nice. The only real difference that you can argue was the music, and that is just an opinion as to whether you enjoy orchestrated music or synthesized music.
>>
>>339973454
When it came to arcade ports the genesis was the obvious winner, but wasn't as obvious for unique cross-plat games as each system had its strengths and weaknesses.
Snes often had the better music and colors/style, but Genesis was the more powerful machine and often the games just played better on it.
>>
>>339974271

Faster CPU, but that's it.
>>
>>339974243

I think the SNES version's music works better for a game like Zombies Ate my Neighbors as its music actually sounds like a stereotypical horror flick.

I like both of course, I think Zombies as a great OST, but comparing them side by side I prefer the way the SNES version sounds in the end.
>>
File: 1367026763223.jpg (51 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1367026763223.jpg
51 KB, 500x375
Genesis, by far.

It had a world to explore, jobs to do, contacts to make, and nuyen to hoard. You could buy protection from gangs, get hooked up with crime syndicates and politicians, you had random street encounters and the corps out to ruin your day. You could keep tabs on your wanted level, earn a reputation, customize your weapons, and travel the Sprawl.

To its credit, the SNES game was a nice, simple detective story within the setting. It didn't obey the rules though and was more on rails than its counterpart. I was hoping that SR would mix the two together to get you the best experience but it really just aped the SNES game. Shadowrun Unlimited tried to mix both but the slow combat makes things a chore.
>>
>>339974829
I always found that the Genesis chip sounded better for that game as it was supposed to be a parody, so a goofy synthesized theme worked out in a more humorous way. If it was a serious game, then I'd probably agree with you.

I'm the opposite, some games like Rocket Knight I believe sound better on SNES, but I always preferred ZAMN on the Genesis because of the goofy chip sounds.
https://youtu.be/tRMPF1GpCek
Would be an example of how it feels more of a parody, which matches the theme of the game.
>>
>>339974402
Yes, and because of that the genesis versions of cross-plat games could do things that the snes version couldn't, but the snes could also do its own things that the genesis couldn't. When it came to the non-arcade multi-plats which was better depended on whether the developers took advantage of each system's strengths.
>>
>>339975253
someone just needs to remake the genesis version and just make it bigger, with more side quests and npc's.
How easy would it be to mod the genesis version?
>>
>>339976158
This, and bug fixes.

There is a mod that changes somethings, but nothing too large.
>>
>>339976302
so I would have to rebuild it in a new engine then?

thats going to take some time, better get started.
>>
>>339976465
I wouldn't know, but I wish you luck.
>>
>>339972937
>Not liking the Genesis music
I love going into the Puyallup Barrens and the wild westish music that plays. It sounds like a land of anything goes, and it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-vxkupSUSA
>>
>>339977001
It wasn't bad, but it's definitely less memorable and impressive than the Super Nintendo's soundtrack.
>>
>>339977691
>it's definitely less memorable and impressive than the Super Nintendo's soundtrack.
Not him, but that bar theme has stuck with me for years.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2e0dUt4IfU
>>
>>339978468

I have never been madder.
>>
>>339979693
I like both, I just am more impressed a SNES and Genesis game are literally better than any of the new Shadowrun games.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUBeYL1xEzg

''''Dog'''' controls your destiny.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.