[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he thinks video games are art >pressing buttons to create
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: most-famous-paintings-2.jpg (872 KB, 1010x824) Image search: [Google]
most-famous-paintings-2.jpg
872 KB, 1010x824
>he thinks video games are art
>pressing buttons to create little games ever being close to painting a picture

real art takes thousands of hours to master, not minutes in front of a computer
>>
Now make this thread on reddit. Nobody here actually think video games are art.
>>
File: 1448453903618.jpg (554 KB, 969x915) Image search: [Google]
1448453903618.jpg
554 KB, 969x915
check out this modern masterpiece.

how can videogames even compete?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9lmvX00TLY
>>
>>339946072
Haha nice bait bud
>>
>>339945997
Nobody gave a shit about Van Gogh's art until he was dead. The poor guy's only fan of his artwork in life was his brother. A true bro.
>>
If Justin Bieber is considered an artist by millions of people, rhen I don't see why games like Limbo and Journey can't be considered art
>>
>>339946393
God bless you Theo.
>>
>>339946519
>games like Limbo and Journey can't be considered art
No, you fucking faggot. It's not just pretentious artsy indie games that are art, ALL games are art. Call of Duty is just as much art as Shadow of the Colossus.
>>
>>339945997

all games are art
>>
File: ss01[1].jpg (427 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss01[1].jpg
427 KB, 1920x1080
>>339945997
Hello
>>
>>339945997
>real art takes thousands of hours to master, not minutes in front of a computer
I mean I know it's bait, and I personally don't think games are art, but the average game literally has hundreds of thousands more hours of work put into it than a stupid ass painting or artsy fartsy black and white french film

I know you knew that already OP but yeah. you successfully baited me friendo
>>
>>339945997

>HURR DURR ART IS DEFINED BY QUALITY

Also you're equating the audience of one to the creator of another

It doesn't take long to look at a painting
>>
Anything man made, either purposefully or accidentally, viewed or presented with a purpose, such as to evoke a feeling or be useful is art.

>art class in highschool
>art teacher asks what is art
>I say almost everything is art
>"No it's not, or this table would be art."
>"That table is art."
>he crumples up a piece of paper and throws it on the floor
>"Is that art?"
>"yes it's just not very good"
>>
>>339947467
Shouldn't be the comparisin between painter-dev and spectator-player? Painter-player is a bit dumb
>>
But Bloodborne is art
>>
I don't call rules art.
I don't call games art.
I don't call video games art.

I don't call an encyclopedia art.
I don't call football art.
I don't call videogame football art.
>>
File: composition II.jpg (62 KB, 800x811) Image search: [Google]
composition II.jpg
62 KB, 800x811
>>339945997
>Thousands of hours
>>
>>339946724
> Cod is as much art as SoTC

THANK YOU.

Finally someone gets it, something does not need to be "arty" to be art. In fact in video games quest to be a recognised artform they've gone and fucked themselves over.

When talking about artistic merits of video games we shouldn't look at cinematography or if they have a vauge, yet emotional narrative. Instead we should champion the ART of good level design, the ART of well thought mechanics, multi-phased boss fights. It takes just as much, if not more, creativity and "artistic skill" to make basic game stuff well.

The Last of Us is a shit example of Vidya as art, Dark Souls should be the poster boy. Vidya should be recognised as an artform for the things inate to the medium, not only get legitimacy when they ape the styles of other art forms.
>>
>>339945997
>Architecture isn't art because it isn't painting
Fag
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.