[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can video games be art?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: ebert_obit_add_P5[1].jpg (86 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
ebert_obit_add_P5[1].jpg
86 KB, 1200x675
Can video games be art?
>>
Yes, of course.
>>
Video games will never be art.
>>
>>339922549
How?
>>
>>339922490

What is your definition of art?
>>
>>339922490
Why not? Books can be, films can be. When games literally have concept art, of course.
>>
>>339922585
Because video games combine elements from books, music, movies, art in general.
>>
>>339922647
Something that looks pretty probably. Not "modern" art, which I swear. I saw some guy make a little box with a light bulb in it and the light comes on and off every 5 seconds. He sold it for like $4.6 million.
>>
>>339922718

>something that looks pretty

There are already many video games that fit that definition.
>>
>>339922490
Art could have a multitude of meanings. Just going by what most people consider art today, "self-expression through a creative medium," then yes
>>
>>339922840
rockman and roll
>>
>>339922490
Games > movies > music > dog shit > books
>>
>>339922490
Do you value the artistry and intelligence in well crafted design?

If yes, then yes. If no, then no.
>>
Video Games has rules.

And that,s it.
>>
>>339922840
sure why not
>>
>>339922840
i don't want any of those
>>
>>339922840

rather have a shag T B H
>>
>>339922840
rolling for uppity slut
>>
>>339922840
Why? What problem do you have with this thread?
>>
>>339922939
>other art doesn't has rules?
hahahaha

we are bound to the rules of this universe, son, whats your petty argument now?
>>
>>339923000
I don't know what this means
>>
>>339922490

Yes, but then they are no longer video games, they are art.
>>
File: kek.jpg (30 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
30 KB, 292x257
>>29045154
>design a fucking executable
>it happens to need graphics to convert visual information
>it utilizes a story to justify the boundaries of the executable
>market it as a religious experience of the digital age
>put it on billboards and pay youtube famous people to praise it
>filthy delusional consumers eat it up because theres nothing else to look forward to in their life
>they cant face the reality of how sad this is
>justify it by calling the goods "art"
>>
http://youtu.be/k3lCpRGFO24

This is art, but video games aren't.
>>
>>339923147

He will fail to get with an entire harem of girls.
>>
>>339922701
Yes, but it's low art.
>>
File: 2l2lxmuh.jpg (138 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
2l2lxmuh.jpg
138 KB, 1024x768
>>339922490
yes
>>
File: 1454236141408.png (801 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1454236141408.png
801 KB, 1000x1000
>>339923227
>sargon of akkad
>>
art is a perspective, not a category of things.

t. art student
>>
>>339922490
>la la la i wont listen to your arguments, they'll never be art

And people looked up to this critic.
>>
>>339922490

Art is in the eye of the beholder. It exists only as a cognitive construct of an individual's mind. It's not a tangible thing that someone can point to and say "That is art" and then point to something else and say "That is not art" and be absolute about. Literally everything can be art, from shit smeared on canvas to a natural rock formation with which there was no human involvement.

Anyone who argues anything to the contrary, or tries to rank mediums in "artistry", is a pseudo-intellectual faggot and wrong.
>>
The audio and video portions? Sure. Films and records have long been established as art.

The game itself? By that, I mean the mechanics: the rules. How does one make art out of that?
>>
>>339922490
>CAN they be art?
Yes, in the same way a chair or a finely made wrench or architecture can be art
>ARE they art?
No
>>
>>339922490
No one can agree on what exactly art is. The traditional definition of art is the human effort to capture nature. Since the development of photography and film it has changed and now everything can be art, diminishing any meaning of the word. This obsession with wanting everything to be seen as art is really just an attempt to force value on to something whether or not the object has any value. If we value video games then that is up to us but let's not throw around the word art to make them sound greater than they are.
>>
Art is shit anyways.
>>
Can film critics be sell out hacks?
>>
Yes.

But they will never be.
>>
>>339924570
Every one of them are.
>>
>>339923829
Does literally every aspect of a thing have to be art for the whole to be art? That seems like a silly metric.

Also, the mechanics make the game work. Provided they work with the audio and video to produce something greater than a pre-rendered experience, I can't see why they would not be a facet of what makes a game 'art'.

This whole argument seems sophist, what with the whole subjectivity of art. I thought Fez was art, and some people think it was hot garbage. As long as a work in any medium contains a sense of beauty, especially if it also contains a sense of depth, someone will consider it art
>>
Roger's primary point in his blog was that although video games could probably be art at one point, none of the best video games can be compared to the best cinema, literature, or compositions, which is correct. He simply said that if there is ever a point in time that video games are looked upon as art, none of us will live to see it.

How is he wrong? Compare something like Last Of Us to Apocalypse Now, Infinite Jest, or Symphony No. 5, and tell me that it holds up.
>>
Fuck off Darth Malak
>>
>>339922490
Emphatically YES

Videogames suffer in the same vein as real art
Either it becomes a hit and successive productions become dertivative shlock for the masses that the original real fans abandon said artist and find someone who takes inspiration from the original.

Basically either an artist creates awesome work and either fades into obscurity or they become successful and they either lose their touch or their work is bastardized for the sake of generating profit.

Look at Blizzard as a clear example they are a company that defined RTS, ARPG and MMOs.
Now they have a hero shooter, a card game and a bastardized version of WoW. They are a company that became a victim of their own success were boughtout and now make derivative garbage for the soul purpose of generating profit. None of their games now are revolutionary or good they provide short term quick fixes that are engineered to get people to shell out money.

I will say the issue with games is for the most part they are slaves to an industry that requires investment to do anything. In that sense they sort of suck because you cant develop a game on your own or with a tightnit group like you could with music or visual entertainment etc You could but it would take forever unless your intent is to go simple
>>
>>339922913
Pleb.
>>
>>339925654
Meaning that video games still are at the point cinema was in the late 19th/early 20th century with the "Train Arriving" and "Woman Doing Laundry" etc, or something like that?

It's more or less still merely a spectacle.
>>
>>339922939
>>339922939
Rules of the Universe told you what you can or you can,t draw? Or what statues you can or can,t sculpt?

You can watch any piece of art in any form, you only need time.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.