[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else think Overwatch has an incredibly low skill ceiling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: friday night.png (87 KB, 667x233) Image search: [Google]
friday night.png
87 KB, 667x233
Anyone else think Overwatch has an incredibly low skill ceiling compared to every other popular multiplayer first-person shooter right now?

Not even talking about the Ultimates, but there's very little aiming required and movement just feels brainless.

The high skill ceiling is the biggest part of what's kept TF2 alive for so long. I feel like a large amount of skill in Overwatch is primarily what hero you're running at the given moment and not your sense of gamesense or DM.
>>
Nigga people have known this since the beta
>>
It's a different type of skill ceiling. MOBAs don't have a very high skill ceiling on paper, but the amount of situational awareness, game knowledge, matchup knowledge, and team coordination that goes into those games makes them very popular and technical.

Overwatch has shades of that PLUS FPS execution caps. It's not the most technical game ever (and still less that TF2) but it's better than a lot of popular shooters.
>>
Overwatch has the depth of a kiddy pool, which I think will actually help it stay alive in the long run.

Doesn't hurt that it has Blizzard's gigantic pocketbook behind it to fund any big tournaments or stuff like that.
>>
File: .png (512 KB, 600x857) Image search: [Google]
.png
512 KB, 600x857
>>339892519
I'm just worried that it's going to negatively impact class-based shooters in the future.

>>339892738
That's true, I didn't take that into consideration. I haven't played it extensively but I just had a bad feel about the entire thing.

I'm just frustrated that a game like this wouldn't have gotten popular had Valve not ignored competitive TF2 for nine years. Comp TF2 has been dying and at this rate Overwatch will be the final nail in the coffin.
>>
>>339893382
TF2 compared to Overwatch also shows how much the industry has changed since 2009. It's weird to think that TF2 used to look revolutionary, but now it looks almost safe by comparison. Guarantee you that TF3 is gonna have girls and diversity out the ass.

Valve kinda decided to stop being a developer for anything that isn't DOTA2 or CS:GO. Disappointing, really.
>>
>>339893784
>TF3 with girls and diversity
Kill me.
>>
Overwatch visuals give me a headache, it's such a clustefuck I can't see how anyone can like it.
>>
>>339893784
Valve isn't making anything bro. Quit being retarded.
>>
>>339893146
>Overwatch has the depth of a kiddy pool, which I think will actually help it stay alive in the long run.

You are this stupid.
>>
>>339893784

>Valve
>3

Yea, OK.
>>
>>339897163

SSBBrawl has just as much depth and people brute forced that "competitive" scene.

Not to mention that Yugioh is probably the most casual relevant card game currently our there and it's still highly competitive.

There's even a scene for Frisbee and compared to other sports, it's casual as fuck.

The thing I'm trying to say is if people want a scene, it's gonna get a scene, doesn't matter how simple it actually is.
>>
>>339897920
>doesn't matter how simple it actually is.

Actually it does matter. People get bored with things that are too simple. Frisbee is actually fairly complex considering the physical exercise you can get.
>>
>>339893784
TF2 originally planned to have male and female versions of all characters, but they dropped the females after running into time+budget constraints.
>>
>>339898539
Citations.

They are needed.
>>
>>339893382
>>339896951
So many posters here who share my same sentiment.

It's scary. I don't want class based shooters to be HEY WE'RE LIKE MOBAS, no fuck you, its to make a coherent "team". Not this Rock Paper Scissors shit in Overwatch, but a more balanced approach like TF2.

Also, I hate that the advertising is trying to bring in the ASSFAGGOTS crowd, which is the most incapable crowd of idiots I've ever seen trying to do well in videogames. Simply put, they all fuck suck horribly, no matter what, and probably all run toasters too or are third world.

That, and coupled with the distracting and nauseating effects, I don't want my games to get bogged down in VISUAL STIMULATION OVERLOAD.

The latter point was a huge issue for me when I tried the MMORPG FFXIV (ARR, aka 2.0), the fucking particle effects were EVERYWHERE. FOR EVERYTHING. It wasn't toned down, it was fucking making a spectacle of an event out of a single healing spell in that game. Needless to say, art direction is also where there needs to be a balanced approach in visual cues versus art style, and Overwatch is way overboard in the latter.

Fuck Overwatch, Fuck ASSFAGGOTS, and boy I have no hope for future FPSes now because of this.
>>
>>339898676
https://www.quora.com/Game-Design-Valve-Corporation-Why-arent-there-any-playable-female-characters-in-Team-Fortress-2

Learn to google retard. Looks like the original archive is down, but there are plenty of people quoting it word for word.
>>
>>339892205
Probably, not sure, maybe have you considered that you are not their target audience ?
>>
>>339898687
Who pissed in your cornflakes today?
>>
>>339898838
>replying to phoneposters
>ever
>>
>>339892205
I hear lots about Overwatch but I don't know anything about it.
>>
File: 1372120243825.jpg (226 KB, 700x607) Image search: [Google]
1372120243825.jpg
226 KB, 700x607
>>339898914
>your opinion is mad because I say so, even though this thread is discussing the hampering repercussions of a shallow mainstream AAA game that might influence a lot of people's future FPS choices

I bet you applaud the choice of the african american soldier on the front of a World War 1 videogame from EA.
>>
>>339899097
kek
>>
>>339892205
Yes, and people like that. Not everything is an endurance test to prove your gaming cred
>>
>>339898687
>visual overload
I agree with your sentiments. Not everything needs to bombard the player with shiny, reflective explosions for casting a simple magic spell, and games like Overwatch turn me off greatly for the large design differences between characters. It looks like a mess, personally.
>>
>>339897083
>>339897598
>It's another episode with bad reading comprehension and summerfags
>>
>>339899768
I don't understand what started it all.

I know a lot of games after the late 00s started adapting, whoever started it, "blood on the edges of the screen" to indicate a more visual way of your very low health, but now its like we have to have MORE and even more "pew pew lasers!" visual overload to seem enticing, as well as informing the braindead player that he might die.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.