[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey I tried /g/ but was redirected here. So here's my p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: boink.jpg (7 KB, 300x247) Image search: [Google]
boink.jpg
7 KB, 300x247
Hey I tried /g/ but was redirected here. So here's my problem, hope you guys can help.

I finally got my first system, a 17" gaming laptop (pic related) that I'm doing my best to take care of. One of the main things I'm worried about is that it's summer so it gets pretty hot. Looking into a cooling pad, and was hoping to get an opinion or two.

I have $60 on Amazon and was checking this one out:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COUWBJ6/

My only problem is I'd like something bigger, as I want my laptop completely on the pad, not overhanging.

If I could get any suggestions, on that pad or a bigger one, that'd be great.
>>
>>339883828
get a vacuum cooler. cooling pads are literal paperweights that don't affect temperature. they only help if you're a fucking idiot who places their laptop on top of a blanket. amazon has some cheap vacuum coolers that attach to the exhaust of the laptop
>>
>>339884064
I definitely don't do that.

I've used a cooling pad before on a different laptop, seemed to help. How does increased airflow not cool it? Not being a dick, genuine question.

I've seen those vacuum coolers. I didn't want to attach something to my laptop, it barely fits in my backpack's laptop pocket as it is. Are they that good at sucking out the hot air? (Also, giggity?)
>>
>>339884064
So if you use a cooling pad you can put it on your bed all you want right?
>>
>>339883828
weak b8
your """computer""" is fine. it will be obsolete long before anything fails.
>>
>>339883828
How are you liking it? I've been looking into one of these as well.
>>
>>339883828
Not even remotely video games. Did /g/ already tell you to fuck off or have you not even tried there?
>>
>>339884939
>gaming computer
>not video games
>>
>>339884939

Dude that's the first thing I said.
>>
>>339884932

I like it. Probably not the best use of money, but it plays all my games, and that's all I've wanted for YEARS.

Oh and >>339884909, not b8, but thanks m8. Obsolete is whatever for me. Unfortunate, but I figured. Had a one-time purchase chunk of change on me, ya dig? Didn't wanna make a gaming rig.
>>
>>339883828
CoolerMaster 's dual fan ones go for like 15€
>>
File: poopdick.jpg (31 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
poopdick.jpg
31 KB, 1280x720
>>339885972
I was looking at a couple CoolerMaster ones. Any big enough for me?
>>
>>339886072
I got 17" laptop myself and found one for its size already few years ago
>>
>>339883828
sidenote that windows fast start-up wrecks msi motherboards, (as well as a couple of other gaming laptops sold in last 5 years) If you run windows with that shit switched on turn it off
>>
>>339886421
Turn off windows fast startup. Thanks a ton, anon.

>>339886419
I'm basically having trouble choosing a big enough one that isn't gonna be crappy. What did you get, do you like it?
>>
>>339885704
>Had a one-time purchase chunk of change on me, ya dig? Didn't wanna make a gaming

Agreed, same situation. That and I don't want a bulky PC taking up space
>>
>>339886635
I really don't know what else to tell about it.

It's a cooler pad. With dual USB fans. By CoolerMaster. For 17" laptops.

its an angled metal stand full of holes, and rubber socks both underneath and on top of the device, latter meant to hold the laptop in place.

It has worked fine
>>
>>339883828
don't bother
they're a fucking ripoff

2C at the fucking BEST, not worth the money

as far as laptops go you're fucked heatwise, that's why it's a stupid thing to buy

the only laptop fans that make any improvement are the ones that hook on to a side vent and suck air out

use fanspeed to run your fans on max all the time if you're actually overheating (processor above 75C graphics card above 90)
>>
>>339886914
Most definitely. There's obvious benefits to a desktop, and I hope to have something crazy one day. But for now, with how often I work (how often I game at work), it just made more sense.
>>
>>339886979
Sorry, was maybe hoping for a name. Like the CoolerMaster Storm or NotePal Slim-X or whatever ya know? Or a link or something. It's all good anon, I'll search more by CoolerMaster.
>>
>>339887137
Overheating isn't a problem yet, I don't think. Usually says about 50C, but sometimes gets hotter or feels hot to the touch. Just wanted to take care of my first machine.
>>
>>339887632
>50C
you're 100% fine
even 60 isn't a real issue under load
>>
>>339887707
Thanks anon. Just a bit worried when my fingers start to get warm from the keyboard.

>like now

I appreciate it, never known acceptable heats.
>>
>>339887879
my old laptop went up to 101 when i played civ for a few hours straight and it's still alive
50 is nothing
>>
I guess I've decided to forgo the cooling pad. I may feel heat from the laptop, but that doesn't mean the end of the world yeah? As long as the heat isn't making my laptop die quicker.

I have another issue though, about what mouse to get. I'll ask here, but if I need to I'll make a new thread. I have a mouse now, it's fine and dandy. Only problem is that it's bluetooth and I don't want to deal with getting batteries. So I figured I'd get something spiffy, yeah?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HTK1NCS/

or

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00REBTQ80/

Both completely superfluous, but like I said I want something spiffy. Either of those decent? Both wired of course. I want a nice gaming mouse that isn't overcharged cuz it looks cool. Looking cool is fine though.
>>
>>339888015
Yeah playing Civ or Subnautica for a few hours will get the heat up there for me, makes me worry. Thanks again, man. Saved me a purchase.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.