[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Memes and jokes aside, you have to admit Valve have treated Half
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14
File: maxresdefault.jpg (48 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
48 KB, 1920x1080
Memes and jokes aside, you have to admit Valve have treated Half Life fans like absolute shit.

I'm not even a fan of the franchise, but damn, it makes even me mad.
>>
I think what's more annoying are that in spite of this they have a legion of fanboys almost as bad as nintoddlers.
>>
File: 1464898463706.png (832 KB, 800x991) Image search: [Google]
1464898463706.png
832 KB, 800x991
>>339877220
soon, anon.
>>
>>339877668
Dude, we've been seeing this sort of shit before E3 for near on a decade now.
>>
>>339877220
Gabe owns Half Life. Gabe could decide never to mention half life again in his life. Gabe could delete all half lifes off steam. Gabe could do anything with half life he wants and he doesn't owe us anything you entitled brat.

That doesn't mean all of us would like what he does with it, but its still his property which I will always respect.
>>
>>339878881
>Calling an overweight meme developer of hat simulators by his first name to insinuate familiarity because you give him money all the time.

shaking my head.
>>
File: hlbeard.jpg (44 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
hlbeard.jpg
44 KB, 640x358
>>339877220
Gabe Newell is the George Lucas of the videogame industry.

>starts off as idealistic young lover of games
>wants to bring fresh new experiences to an entire generation
>encounters success that he never expected
>discovers it's easier to appease people with materialistic goods and proven formulas than something new and great
>>
>>339878881
>hey guys we're making a trilogy of episodes
>here's the first one
>here's the second one
>>
>>339877220
At this point from a business standpoint, why would you? They've come up with a monetary solution to create billions of dollars every year with minimal development. Another reason to not develop it would be that nostalgia ruins everything. It's been hyped for more than a decade now so that even if HL3 did come out it wouldn't live up to that amount of hype. I really don't blame them for being greedy or lazy, and I really don't blame them for not wanting to get shit on by their customers if they released HL3. Even if it were great it'd still get smeared because of how built up the hype was.
>>
>>339880064
This, unfortunately.
>>
>>339879352
Gabe is better than you. I would rather munch his ass out than even be seen in the same room as you.
>>
>>339880265
Faggot
>>
>go to subway and order three subs
>"absolutely sir here's the first two, we'll need some time making the third one so please take a seat and hang tight :)"
>sit there for 10 years
>"hey excuse me how's that sub coming along?"
>"oh, i'm terribly sorry sir, we're not actually working on it at the moment. would you like one of these brightly colored handkerchiefs instead? :)"

if that comparison seems weird it's because no company in history has ever pulled such a scam as valve did there, it's difficult to even begin to understand how this scenario could have taken place in real life, but it has and nobody's doing anything about it
>>
I fucking hate Valve now. Just look at TF2 during the first few years, and now look at it. As soon as you open the game, it's full of fucking box drops encouraging you to buy fucking shitty keys to unlock a pink rubber dildo hat. It makes me so angry how they completely shat all over the original art direction and characters, it just sums Valve up completely now. Vapid, empty, cash grabbing cunts.
>>
>>339880737
What a terrible analogy.
>>
File: 1450000933646.png (46 KB, 234x279) Image search: [Google]
1450000933646.png
46 KB, 234x279
>>339877731
https://twitter.com/Diablo/status/738434774952333313
>>
>>339880737
Pretty bad analogy.
>>
>>339877220
git gud
>>
>>339880737
>>339880830
>>339880915
>339880915
Aren't these food analogies supposed to be bad? Or are there actual people writing these seriously
>>
File: c.png (362 KB, 600x1200) Image search: [Google]
c.png
362 KB, 600x1200
>>339877220
It's a damn shame Half Life prematurely ended, when it was a series with so much potential. That fucking cliffhanger will be forever imprinted on my memory.
>>
File: 1433293067353.png (637 KB, 693x693) Image search: [Google]
1433293067353.png
637 KB, 693x693
>>339880737
>its a food analogy episode
>>
>Valve
>making games
If you actually played video games and not just touched yourself to little anime girls, you'd know that Valve doesn't make video games
>>
I don't think they've actively treated Half Life fans like shit, since they haven't actually done anything BAD. All of the half life games have been fun, there just haven't been enough of them.

For whatever reason they haven't made Half Life 3 (yet?), which sucks, but their total silence on it is better than "LATEST UPDATE: WE DID SOME HL3 STUFF GUYS, ARE YOU EXCITED YET?" Most of the angst and anger over the lack of HL3 comes from people assuming that Valve are doing stuff related to it, then getting annoyed when it turns out they're not, it's never Valve actively saying stuff about it and then failing to deliver.

If they're not doing it I'd rather they just be silent on the issue. I'd also rather not get a half life 3 than get a shitty half life 3.
>>
>>339881267
If they aren't working on it why not just come out and say it?
>>
>>339881340
Because they love the free hype and marketing it gives them
>>
File: 0Ss8eZF.gif (985 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
0Ss8eZF.gif
985 KB, 500x252
>>339881267
>I don't think they've actively treated Half Life fans like shit
>promised Half Life 2: Episode 3 would be out in 2006 to finish the fucking storyline
>10 years later, and we're not supposed to be mad
>>
File: 87654.jpg (8 KB, 199x154) Image search: [Google]
87654.jpg
8 KB, 199x154
>>339881141
>food analogy works perfectly so lets discard what people think/say if they use it
>>
>>339877668
OH FUCK
>>
>>339880064
I guess there's value, when you own a digital delivery platform, in creating first party exclusive content for that platform, cements your position at the top for one thing.
>>
>>339881340

Why would they? Maybe they are working on it, just very slowly. Maybe they don't want to commit either way.
>>
>>339877220
Who cares. Now's not a good time for a new Half-Life anyway.

They'll probably make it some VR only bullshit.
>>
>>339880737
>George Lucas makes ANH and ESB
>ESB ends on a massive cliffhanger
>Wait patiently for a decade
>"Hey George, do you think you might finish that trilogy you promised at some point? It's kind of shitty to end things the way you did, and leave people hanging for this long."
>George: "Yeah, I might get around to that at some point. I'm just making so much money with my successful chain of video stores now, that I don't really feel like it."
>"O-ok, I guess. It's just a little fucked up of you to do that, is all I'm saying."
>Fanboys proceed to call you an "entitled baby", and tell you that George "doesn't owe you anything".

Fixed that analogy for you.
>>
>>339877220
Valve is a digital distributor, not a game developer.
They need to focus on SteamOS and linux support for all games so that we can move on from Windows. That is the more pressing issue right now.
>>
>>339880737
There are people ITT right now calling people "entitled" for expecting them to finish the game they promised to make 10 years ago.

Let that sink in.

This isn't even some bullshit ranting about how you deserve to download games for free because muh free as in freedom software, it's a straight up con.
>>
>>339881648
Everyone called your bullshit faggot, your analogy was shit
>>
Valve is too busy swimming in money to care about the fans.
>>
>>339881267
Dude, it has been a decade. I don't expect weekly marketing updated, but come on.. 10 fucking years!
>>
>>339879704
This is probably the worst thing he did. I'm ok with HL3 never seeing the light of day or whatever but not that.
>>
>>339881086
Always do your best at everything you do.
>>
File: 1459512903955.jpg (234 KB, 598x644) Image search: [Google]
1459512903955.jpg
234 KB, 598x644
>>339881653
>>339877731

The narrator guy even pronounces it "E...THREEE..." in the trailer

https://youtu.be/4nIp8CLWmSU

Why else would he say it like that ;)
>>
>>339881846
>Linux support

Nobody gives two fucks neckbeard. It won't make the slightest bit of difference to the average consumer.
>>
>>339880737
You forgot to include the sandwich artist, 2/10 analogy
>>
>>339881703
I know they're working on LFD3, so it's not like they're not. It's just they're super slow because of how much money they're making.

You think if they weren't making literal billions with minimal input they wouldn't be working on first party titles? There's a large reason why they're in first, and it's because the community does a ton for them by promoting Steam voluntarily. You look at their competititors and where do you think the consumer/gamer will most likely go?
>>
>>339881880
that wasn't me that posted the analogy though
>>
>>339882042
50 rupees have been deposited into your money pit
>>
>>339882117
Dude they're not destined to retain a monopoly in perpetuity, it makes sense for them to develop exclusive IPs.

Video games is in no small part based around sometimes decade-long franchises and the inherent value the brand of this franchise itself holds.
>>
>>339882139
Well I guess you ought to join Team Faggot along with that food analogy spouting cunt
>>
>promise to put out three games to conclude series
>put out two
>cliffhanger
>"hey valve, what's going on?"
>"no comment"
like shit, most fucking devs have some communication. the most basic being "yeah it's cancelled" or "we're still working on it."
except with valve they constantly avoid it, yet always tease about it and make jokes about the shit. it's ridiculous.
>>
>>339877220
Could be worse, you could be a Metal Gear fan.
>>
>>339877220
This fucking meme needs to die.

It was somewhat entertaining the first 50 billion times with the "LEL VoLvO tIEm amiright guise XDDdd" but it's gone completely stale now.

Everyone knows that valve is not EA or Ubisoft, they don't capitalize on churning out nine million cowadoodies or ass's creed-like sequels.

Yes it takes time. But they're not letting out a game until it reaches the perfect quality. The micro cosmetic systems they have is optional. If you can't live without that fuckin 420noscoping MLG skin for your awp or some fuckin hat in tf2 you can buy it. But you can also just play the games and get them anyway.
>>
>>339882229
CSGO came out in August 2012 and DOTA 2 came out in 2013. Of course they're not destined to forever hold a monopoly with perpetuity, but the monopoly can be held by other means also. I'm not some Steam advocate and fanboy as I have several issues with them, but looking at how they've created a community home for "gamers" it's quite obvious where they will go. I already said they're working on new games, and of course it makes sense to develop new IPs. But you need to understand that in the way that they have it set up right now, the community literally keeps them in first as well as having two giants in the games industry. These games make hundreds of millions of dollars every year for Valve. They have million+ dollar tournaments for each of them. Until Origin or Uplay step it up (which we know Uplay won't) you will not be seeing Valve being overthrown anytime soon.

First party games is what Nintendo had to do because Third Party was a hassle to work on their systems. Nintendo drove out third party with strict regulations and annoying development processes. Valve revels in Third Party and offers the plethora of Indie Developers to promote and sell their game on their platform. It's part of why Valve does so great, because they have many people doing the work for them.
>>
>>339882492
I feel like since they got away with a handful of ARGs they feel as if they're allowed to be cryptic about everything.
>>
>>339882643
>A free hat has been deposited into your steam inventory
>>
I don't even care anymore.

The story for the games was shit. They never managed to actually convey anything beyond the barest bones of a "plot", even though HL's original appeal in part was the idea of a plot-driven FPS.

Halo 1 to 3 are far more edifying.
>>
>>339879704
Episodic context was a shitty meme and literally nobody thought they were going to continue it past 2.
>>
>people are actually upset at hl3 never being released

HL1 and HL2 were great, but the formula is outdated and Valve knows that. They won't drop HL3 until they can take it in a direction that can redefine the brand.
>>
>>339877220
how so? i'd rather they not make it if they feel it's not going to be a great game.
>>
>>339882902
like turning it into an rpg ;-)
>>
fuck hl3. i'd rather have a l4d3 that innovates the game in some way.
>>
File: free real estate.jpg (11 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
free real estate.jpg
11 KB, 246x246
>>339882715
If you're not a pleb and bought TF2 then yea. But you can also go full jew mode and mercantile the shit out of items and eventually end up with like 3 unusuals or some shit.

My friend did that in fact. I still don't know where's the fun in that but wotev.
>>
>>339881821
Are you saying you want Half-Life 3 to have Ewoks, anon?
>>
>>339877220
Newsflash, all hope for Valve has been dead for years. They will never release another worthwhile game that isn't a cashgrab, and will continue to take a larger stranglehold on the PC market.
>>
File: clown.gif (4 MB, 270x263) Image search: [Google]
clown.gif
4 MB, 270x263
It hurts to even think about it. Someone hold me.
>>
>>339882872
>and literally nobody thought they were going to continue it past 2.
oh yeah, that's why nobody is peeved about this at all, right
>>
>>339880265
make sure to dip a finger in there for variety
>>
>>339883519
The only people upset about it are /v/irgin manbabies. Well adjusted individuals of society don't even remember what half life is outside of physics.
>>
>>339883632
You only see people saying this wrong type of shit on /v/.
>>
File: lewd.jpg (33 KB, 400x484) Image search: [Google]
lewd.jpg
33 KB, 400x484
>>339881992
>>
File: harold.jpg (51 KB, 604x455) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
51 KB, 604x455
Valve is too used to putting small amounts of effort into something but having it give them infinite money forever. They'll never make a primarily singleplayer game that they can't put some hat-shop into. They tried it with Portal 2 but it didn't work.

The most they'd over get out of someone's wallet by selling a singleplayer game is the sale price of the game (and maybe DLC/OST/etc.). The ROR just doesn't even compare to their other sources of revenue.

>Steam makes them hundreds of millions alone
>they have **three*** F2P micro-transaction games, with updates featuring content made for free by the community

They'll try to implement paid mods again before making HL3, profiting off of other people's work is far more enticing than making a game.

Fuck, they're so lazy even their main cash cow, Steam, barely ever gets updates beyond bug fixes. What's the last major feature Steam ever got? I can think of like five features that'd be great but they'll never happen.
>>
>>339880737
Bad analogy because you didn't pay for HL3 yet, even if I feel you.
>>
Would we even want HL3?

Valve said the days of single player games is over, and they'd only make it multiplayer to sell hats.

Can you imagine relying on some other rando fuck to solve a Portal 2 style puzzle, and that being a wall to get past a section of the game?

I mean, Halo style multiplayer campaign for HL3 would be ok if it was optional. But if it's mandatory, fuck it.

I don't want it anymore.
>>
>>339879603
gaben was already a millionaire
>>
>>339886068
>Valve said the days of single player games is over, and they'd only make it multiplayer to sell hats.

Source?
>>
>>339877220
>not wanting to release something they arent happy with
>treating fans like shit

pick one.

i bet youd be mad if COD didnt pump out a game every year too, right?
>>
>>339877220
>We'll get Kingdom Hearts 3 before Half Life 3

I don't know how to feel about this.
>>
>>339886393
The Source was an interview with Gabe, but it's on Kotaku and I don't feel like linking Gawker shit.

Basically they want the game to be more "social".

TLDR it didn't sell enough hats.
>>
>>339886551
10 years dude.

10 fucking years.
>>
>>339886834
So?

Even when they release it, you wont be able to play it, because you're too poor to afford high end VR.
>>
>>339886551
>almost nine years since ep2 and no announcements, screenshots, trailers, communication, any hint at all that the game is even being made

HL3 is never coming out. They're not even working on it. They don't see the point in making a singleplayer game because it wouldn't give them maximal shekels.
>>
>>339882643
yeah they dont even churn out schlock like EA

they just sit around collecting money distributing other people's work through their near monopoly on digital distribution

and hats
>>
>>339886975
I could see valve making a title to kickstart the vive once they're able to actually meet demand. Whether or not that title will be half-life 3 is the big question.
>>
I haven't given a fuck about Half Life anymore in well over half a decade but when I heard that Marc Laidlaw left Valve, that's when I knew they would never EEEEEVEEER actually release an episode 3. Again, it's too late for me to care at this point.

Hell, I'd be surprised if Valve ever released a good game worth a shit at any point, let alone Half Life 3, they haven't made a good game since 2008.
>>
Do most of the people who worked on the Half Life series even still work at Valve? If I remember right, a lot of people left.
>>
>>339886939
>because you're too poor to afford high end VR
except they said they wouldn't do something like that where it would cut off people from being able to play it
>>
>>339881846
Your a S.P.E.C.I.A.L kind of stupid
>>
>>339886746

No it's not. It was an interview with Gabe from the dorito pope.
>>
>>339888459

It was in here

https://soundcloud.com/gameslice/valve
Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.