[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck happened to rockstar...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1407133524039.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1407133524039.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Spent 50 bucks and got all the older Rockstar games on PSN. After playing GTA IV, V, and RDR I truly thought I was just being nostalgic about the older games, but after replaying the lot of them I'm now just sure the newer games blow.

All the new games characters are either boring, annoying, or cringe worthy. The stories drag on. I feel like playing them is a chore whereas I literally have a blast 100%ing Vice City, Bully, and San Andreas. What happened to the Rockstar that made games with sex mini games and allowed you to cut the heads off of skinheads, Latino gangbangers, and deranged mental patients and then toss the head around?
>>
>>339865480
In many old games, they had less resources but more content. Nowadays games just want to have flashy graphics for marketing, some good looking scene or place for youtube and the content is the last thing they care for. Easy money is more tempting than taking care of long term wellbeeing of a franchice.
>>
the hardware limitations of the old made them all innovate more
>>
>RDR
>either boring, annoying, or cringe worthy.
>Being this wrong
I will agree that Bully was a fucking awesome game though, hope we see a sequel someday.
>>
>>339865480
Volition tried to up Rockstar on the parody/edgy/jock humor department with saints row, therefore Rockstar went for a serious tone in GTAIV that was later toned down for 5.

I think modern gta is better because they have better controls, a deeper simulation of a city, euphoria physics and a lot of budget.

However they can improve in a lot of ways.

OP did you buy the emulated GTA collection for PS4? how does it run?
>>
Vice City for example had great atmosphere, soundtrack, San Andreas made some inovations in gameplay, and then you get GTA 4 where everything is so dull and gray. Both GTA 4 and BogT are good games, but they lack that something that would make them memorable.
Vice City
>I take my head out of the gutter and fate shovels shit up my face
>Riding that piaggo while Michael Jackson is on rhe radio
etc.

In gta4 I only remember "cousin Nico, wanna go bowling?" and when you kill that guy that betrayed you and your squad, everything else is meh
>>
>>339866540
>buy Rockstar old western themed game expecting to a gun-slinging outlaw or a grizzled revenge driven sheriff killing bandits
>end up spending the first 6 hours being a ranch hand and doing missions for a snake oil salesman

Shits not fun bro
>>
>>339865480
Also remember that they didn't have software that designed huge landscapes with minimum input from devs, they just recycled assets and slapped them over a landscape, whereas the older games, everything you saw was practically hand crafted. Lot of love leaking into everything, whereas the new games are cold and relentless.

RDR was the last game they were innovative in the whole way through, that's why people liked it so much. It's a tiny thing, an almost invisible seal of quality that you can't put your finger on, but it's there enough to make you just KNOW it's great.

L.A NOIRE was an interactive movie, literally no gameplay, was always the same shit. Drive one car, police-claim one car, fist fight one punk, do one case and you'd done it all.
>>
>>339866941
I did, its not bad. It runs roughly the same as the originals on the ps2. The most serious thing I've noticed is that there's about a half second lag on the dialogue and lip movement in some of the beginning San Andreas mission cut scenes.
>>
>>339867309
Really? I loved those slower moments in the game. Of cours I'm the type of person who doesn't care for the whole "OMG you are the most badass/important person ever, you go on your own personal mission and all the big evil baddies will just throw armies of people at you to fight okay?" I'm the guy that thinks Uncharted would be even better with a lot less(but more epic) action phases, and more exploring, puzzles, history bits etc....
>>
>>339867309
being a ranch hand it the best fucking part

not to mention the lasso is the best part of the game
>>
>>339867331
Thanks anon, i guess i'll get em' for that nostalgia itch.
>>
>>339867724
The lasso is fun and being a ranch hand would be infinitely better if it wasn't forced at the very beginning of the game and was instead implemented as a side aspect to the game.
>>
File: BackOBeyond-GTASA-Pathway.jpg (337 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
BackOBeyond-GTASA-Pathway.jpg
337 KB, 1280x1024
>>339867331

I guess you don't remember when the game came out and everyone was complaining about how back o beyond and pretty much everywhere in south west los santos was full of fucking nothing. And so much desert too.

Even just taking into account the cities it was an improvement over III and VC, but this got debated a lot when fanboys would gloat about how incredibly big the map was.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
>>
>>339867956
Ranching is definitely not the core gameplay aspect of the game. The only reason you are doing ranching shit more than everything else if you choose to be doing it.
>>
>>339866127
The only R* I would argue has more content than GTA 5 is Bully. Otherwise, you can fuck right off.
>>
>>339866941
>emulated GTA collection for PS4
Why not just play the PC versions?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.