[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>game with knights >swords cut through heavy metal armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
>game with knights
>swords cut through heavy metal armor like butter

when will this meme end?
>>
>>339826626
As soon as
>swords cut through wood and human bones like butter
ends

Which is unlikely to ever happen.
>>
>>339826626
True, that would only happen with a katana.
>>
> arrows cut through plate, chain, and leather like nothing

Stop this. A good set of chain mail cost as much as an average house does today; a set of plate even more so. Some soldier isn't going to blow all his money on chain if some random peasant could 360 no scope him from 200 yards away
>>
>>339826902
The sharpest object ever produced by man!
>>
File: 1360869148145.jpg (78 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1360869148145.jpg
78 KB, 240x240
>>339826626
>JRPG
>small children with knives are easily kill grown men wielding firearms
SMT 1&2 are the only ones I know where guns fuck everything up
>>
File: options.jpg (37 KB, 395x600) Image search: [Google]
options.jpg
37 KB, 395x600
>>339826626
>game with archers
>crossbow bolts fly the exact same as arrows shot from longbows
>no option for armor-piercing arrows, fire arrows, hunting arrows, each with unique flight patterns
>wind makes no difference in flight
>>
>>339827018
Mounted crossbows with steel bolts though.

But those were seen as unsportsmanlike for a reason.
>>
>game where armor is damage reduction instead of chance of damage negation
D&D will always be king.
>>
>>339827463
>no game where, depending on the injury, armor getting pulled into the wound increases the amount of damage or likelihood of infection
>>
>>339827463
MISS
MISS
MISS
MISS
HIT(1)
MISS
MISS
It's works a lot better with a good dungeon master making it sound like epic ettacks and dodges are taking place, than it does in a video game.
>>
>>339827584
Wouldn't surprise me if Dwarf Fortress did this.
>>
File: 1335218511474.jpg (7 KB, 215x217) Image search: [Google]
1335218511474.jpg
7 KB, 215x217
>Game with knights
>Don't bankrupt themselves fighting in wars
>>
>>339826626
>game with melee
>weapons cut through people and objects like they were lightsabers
>>
>>339827463
I'm making an rpg at the moment, mainly to play with friends
Currently armor can entirely block damage but it murders your agility/dodge rating as it should
However, blunt attacks deal half damage when blocked as a backup in case a shitty gm decides to have some 10 foot giant with quarter inch plate
>>
>>339827172
What exactly is the intended effect of the arrowhead second from bottom? When is it best used?
>>
>>339830886
>but it murders your agility/dodge rating as it should
Why should it?

Sure it's a bit unwieldy compared to wearing loose fitting clothing but if you as a footman was a tank with legs nobody would use it.

I mean, you should get a penalty but if it's realism or logic you want then it shouldn't be THAT big of a penalty.
>>
>wants games restricted by realism
sounds fun
>>
>>339831494
This.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hlIUrd7d1Q
>>
>>339831901
Well, there's not a single game where you can actually fight like that and it seems difficult to design a system that lets you and is still interesting.
>>
>>339831494
You only get movement penalty if your strength isn't high enough to support it, a high dex will even increase your movespeed by up to two spaces
But your chance to dodge is going to be cut in half essentially

With what you said I'm going to fiddle with the penalties to have yo be mostly screwed agaisnt ranged attack, but still able to dodge melee attacks
ranged weapons usually get accuracy bonuses
>>
File: wut.jpg (32 KB, 294x380) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
32 KB, 294x380
>>339831351
I didn't even know you could do this.
>>
>>339831351
Most likely for hunting small animals. Bigger arrowhead=more chance to hit small target.

Like you would use a shotgun to hunt birds, not a rifle.

That or for crippling things/cutting rope, but that's show to not be effective in the leas and it's doubtful it was actually used much for that.
>>
>>339832106
I'm actually working on an SRPG with mechanics like that. The way I intend to balance plate armour is having it make you mostly immune to cutting attacks and arrows. Blunt attacks would still cause damage, but they're more likely to stun than kill outright (with the stunning possibly opening up the opportunity for a proper killing attack via sword or dagger through the visor, armpit or ass), and certain attacks like lance charges and the beaks of warhammers and picks could kill outright, especially if they hit the head.

The drawbacks are that full plate is rare and expensive, and you're unlikely to have all your units wearing it, even if you wouldn't have a reason not to, and your plate guys could still get fucked if you put them into a situation where they're outnumbered sans backup or in range of enemy muskets or heavy crossbows.

If you're only controlling a single character as in most games, making plate realistic might get boring, unless it has a detailed wrestling system and you're fighting armoured dudes exclusively, or it's like a musou game where you just slaughter hordes of helpless peasant infantry, but I think it could work in a squad-level context.
>>
>>339826626
what are these kinds of helmet/masks called? the ones with faces, I mean.

Googling, "face mask" surprisingly doesn't help.
>>
>>339832515
>army traveling with wagons through forest
>group of stealthy archers disables the wagons for an ambush attack
WHY ISN'T THIS A THING
>>
File: hornet-helmet-medieval-armor.jpg (31 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
hornet-helmet-medieval-armor.jpg
31 KB, 500x378
>>339833891
helmets
>>
>>339834639
for fashion souls i mean fashion knights or some shit like that
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.