[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it the infamous tick rate?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 11
File: maxresdefault-1-2.jpg (174 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-1-2.jpg
174 KB, 1920x1080
do anyone experiencing "gameplay doesn't match kills cam"?

it's almost like every "split second action" is not registered by the game.

mostly when i play Genji, there many time when i'm 100% sure i killed that guy with my dash but i died and kill cam show me stand still or when i tried to reflect high noon in last second but the kill cam show me still running around when i got shot.

it happened to me way too many time. it's starting to make me want to quit this game.
>>
>>339807991
Just quit the game till they put ranked in, they promised 60 tickrate in it.
>>
>>339807991

They've already specifically and categorically ally stated that "kill cam" doesn't give a 1-to-1 replay of the game; it's a close approximation.
>>
>>339807991
Its not the buzzword "tic-rate" that's the problem its the Lag Compensation that's implemented into the game that's the problem
>>
>>339808228
Lag compensation is closely tied to the tickrate.
>>
>>339808228
When will devs get rid of lag comp? Has no place in competive multiplayer
>>
>>339807991
>me want to quit this game.
yes please or stop playing this useless fuck.
>>
>>339808335
they wont because the game isnt actually competitive, its just a word devs like to throw around to get the "esports" crowd's money.

The game never reflects a competitive spirit, 90% of the games are 2 winston 2 McCree and 2 healers
>>
It's not even debatable. Sometimes you're ability will go on cooldown but it won't show up on a killcam when you die. Like mei's ice blook or genji's dash.
>>
>>339808228
You are aware that lag compensation is in the game because of the low tickrate being unreliable.
>>
>>339807991
It happens with pharahs super jump too
My screen shows me jumping as I die and my corpses flying into the air
killcam doesnt show that and instead I just fall to the floor
>>
>>339808335
What? There has to be lag compensation unless you only want to play on LAN.

Would you prefer always seeing everyone elses actions 100 ms late and all your actions having a 100 ms delay?
>>
>>339807991
I notice this a lot with Geni as well, seems split second actions don't register a lot of the time. Especially noticeable vs mcree when I hit E, the nature of latency I guess...

>Round corner
>See mcree
>Instantly hit E
>Sound effect goes off
>He still is able to flash bang me and right click
>Replay shows me E never went off
>>
>>339807991
only nerds care about tick rate

now buy some loot crates you fuck
>>
File: 1464947615252.png (116 KB, 665x471) Image search: [Google]
1464947615252.png
116 KB, 665x471
>>339808693
>being this deluded
>>
>>339807991
Until Blizz decides to up the shit tick rate I don't see how anyone could seriously think this game can be played competitively. Fuck Blizzard cunts for making "fps" with the worst tick rate in ages.
>>
>>339808228
The game would be even more unplayable with this tick rate without the compensation.
>>
>>339807991

Yes, this is the issue. The lag is unbearable. My problems aren't even limited to split second decisions. Killcams are often a full second behind, missing obvious actions like reloading, movement skills, and other factors. It reminds me of when I played bf4. Whenever I died fighting a vehicle, the last rocket I fired would often disappear entirely because the game was simply too laggy to count my shot even though I got it off on my client.
>>
>>339809262
at least you can play bf4 now with 60hz servers, it's not like blizz can't do it.
>>
mfw 2 guys were getting angry about me playing symetra
>>
>>339809398

They finally implemented those? I haven't played in years, but last I remember they were only being tested.
>>
>>339809459
They actually have filters for 120hz and 144hz servers in the browser too. but good luck finding anyone running those
>>
what's with player of the game?
I've seen people pull of amazing kills and get ignored because bastion was in turret mode.
>>
>>339807991

Currently it's a 60 tick rate upload and 20 download, which means attackers will always get the advantage in a one on one shootout

This video goes into more detail about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHO6Ky-w0UQ
>>
>>339809914

It goes strictly by points earned in a short timeframe.
>>
File: 20 tick rate.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20 tick rate.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>tfw 20 tick rate
>>
>>339808521
Only people on BR internet would experience shit like that assuming blizz had good servers.

Blizz can't even shell out for good servers on fucking WoW, why would they here?
>>
>>339809914
>>339810152
yeah it uses some sort of point system. bonus points for doing something clutch during overtime. like killing a mccree about to high noon your entire team.
>>
>>339810321
>blizzdrone will defend this and tell u to git gud
>>
>>339811070
I've seriously seen people defending the game saying you should do things 1 second in advance
>>
>>339810321
>obviously still in Widowmaker's line of sight when she drops
>WOOOOW HOW DID I GET HIT
>>
I only ever notice the tick rate issues with widowmaker, yet another reason to hate her.

Oh, and roadhog's hook.
>>
>>339810321

The bottom line is that hitscan weapons must not lie. TF2 does the same thing
>>
>>339811314
scratch that actually, when playing genji it's pretty obvious as you use swift strike to escape a bomb or something but you still die
>>
>>339811415

Exactly, the alternative would be far worse. Tribes Ascend was unplayable on higher pings because it had no lag compensation to speak of, requiring you to lead shots depending on how much ping you had.
>>
Good to know the game aint good, at least not yet.

Im going to wait and see where the this goes.
>>
>>339812650
but it is good, just needs better tickrate and more balance
>>
File: What_is_LoS.png (396 KB, 468x609) Image search: [Google]
What_is_LoS.png
396 KB, 468x609
>>339810321
>>
with the fucking money they got, i'm pretty sure they could justify 128 tick servers
the jews at vivendi won't let them tho
>>
How it work is that everybody play a different game for the most part. You play your own "reality" of the game and every few ms the game correct your reality to reflect every other realities. It does so with a few rules in mind and one of the big one is "A hit count". So even if you evade your opponent, if he saw a hit, then you get hit. And then on the kill cam, you see the server version of the events.
>>
>>339814785
Does higher tickrate cost more money?
>>
>>339814895
don't know for sure but why would they intentionally put in a lower tickrate if costs were the same ?
they said it was intentional for "fairness" but come on, if it's so intentional why are the custom games 60 tick instead of 20 on pubs
>>
>>339814697
3rd los =/= 1st los
>>
>>339814895
Yes. More ticks mean more and better servers, which mean more money.

Early games like Quake used a system that was better for people with a good connection, but bad for people with worst connections or longer connections. Now, they use simulations to control the movements of people in your games so they can say "This guy will probably do this for the moment so just do this"
>>
>>339815082
>>339815031
but blizzard are billionares and the game is a gold mine. Better servers would cost a tiny fraction. Valve can have 64 bit servers and CSGO is far more popular
>>
>>339815213
>64 bit
tick*
>>
>>339815213

Yes but every penny they save but cheapening out on maintaining the game is another penny in their pockets.

You think 90% of the people playing OW even know about tickrates or care about the issues they create?
>>
>>339815213
Better servers mean less profits. FPS are much more stressful on servers than WoW or Hearthstone. Even HOTS probably do not have a great Tickrate.

I think they will Ranked on great tick servers?
>>
>>339815034

>tickrate

blame shitty FoV
>>
ITT: Everyone forgets what latency is because they learned the tickrate meme word.
>>
>>339815426
a higher tickrate reduces latency
>>
>>339814785
Vivendi hasn't owned Actiblizz for like 2 years
>>
>>339815547
sure
you got what i meant tho
money > game
>>
File: readImage?iid=112444.jpg (28 KB, 450x373) Image search: [Google]
readImage?iid=112444.jpg
28 KB, 450x373
>>339815353
>What_is_LoS.png
mogoloid
>>
>>339815426
Latency is how much time does it take to talk to the server and the server responding.
Tickrate is a part of the latency.

Back in the days, the server took the information about the games and simply restributed them to every other players as it was receiving them.

Now, the server receive the information of all players, do calculations and prediction and THEN send it to all the players. It also allow the client to do some of the work, which mean that the client becomes a "small server" in some sort.
>>
>>339815213
Source utilizes 20 client 66 server tickrates. This means that the server takes little information from the client and then updates everyone very frequently on game information. Due to this low frequency of receiving information from the client, an interpolation method is used to rollback the hitbox for the client and attempt to match it with where they see the model, as well as prediction methods of "this is where the opponent probably is". While you won't get shot around corners as often with this method, there are serious issues of hitscan weapons simply not connecting because the hitbox is separating from the model, or projectiles hitting/missing when they shouldn't because of this discrepancy.
Overwatch utilizes a 60 client 20 server tickrate. This means the client sends a lot of information to the server while the server doesn't update everyone about game information as frequently. Because of the high amount of incoming information, the server can more accurately tell you what your opponent is doing within that tick, but the low frequency of updates coming to the client necessitates a higher level of direction prediction and can cause a larger discrepancy of what clients A and B are seeing at the same time. Coupling this with Overwatch's system of ALWAYS registering a hit if it's registered on the client, things like being shot behind a wall are more frequent.
Personally I prefer the latter because while this is an obnoxious thing we'll always have to deal with because of latency, I'd rather not have my kill stolen away from me because the game couldn't fit the hitbox on the model properly.
60:60 in OW ranked will help to alleviate this, but until we figure out quantum computing or utilize input latency (lmao) it's always going to happen.
>>
>>339815082
>Now, they use simulations to control the movements of people in your games so they can say "This guy will probably do this for the moment so just do this"

If you're talking about client side prediction, practically every online game does that. If they didn't, characters would only move when the clients receive a position update from the server and all movement would be extremely jerky.

There's obviously some sort of reconciliation logic in most of these games as well, meaning that if a client predicts something wrong for whatever reason, it'll be corrected once more up-to-date data is received.

If you guys want to stop talking out of your ass and get a rough idea of how online games actually work, I highly recommend reading this article series:
http://gafferongames.com/networked-physics/introduction-to-networked-physics/
>>
File: download.jpg (10 KB, 256x197) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10 KB, 256x197
>>339807991
>jump to cover when I'm about to die
>get hooked by roadhog and murdered
>potg is me looking like an idiot because according to the game I never took cover
>everyone makes fun of me on chat.
Lag, tickrate, shit connection, call it whatever you want bu t that shit was humiliating.
>>
>>339815493
No it doesn't you fucking retard, those packets still take the same amount of time to travel to your client.
You're still receiving 20 per 1.056 seconds or 60 per 1.056 seconds with a 56 ping.
>>
>>339815773
It's become pretty necessary with how advanced physics calculations have become and how rampant client-side injections of information have become as well.
Valve even explains here why they can't trust the client to handle hit detection:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking
>The question arises, why is hit detection so complicated on the server? Doing the back tracking of player positions and dealing with precision errors while hit detection could be done client-side way easier and with pixel precision. The client would just tell the server with a "hit" message what player has been hit and where. We can't allow that simply because a game server can't trust the clients on such important decisions. Even if the client is "clean" and protected by Valve Anti-Cheat, the packets could be still modified on a 3rd machine while routed to the game server. These "cheat proxies" could inject "hit" messages into the network packet without being detected by VAC (a "man-in-the-middle" attack).
>>
>>339815842
Yes, Client side prediction. And blizzard stated that a hit always count. This mean that even if you dodged it, if he touched you on his screen, you got touched.

They favor the offensive.
>>
>>339815831
the server can more accurately tell you what your opponent is doing within that second*
>>
>>339816085
Is that why I get shot by torb's sentry before I peak the corner?
>>
>>339816279
Either that or because of the shit FOV you can't tell that your character's shoulder is visible.
>>
Stop blaming your deaths on ticrate and just git gud
>>
>>339816279
Probably. The server calculated you would walk the corner, and the sentry saw you.

Or you just had some of your body seen.
>>
>>339815738

..what are you even arguing?
>>
>>339807991
The amount of fucking times I've been hooked through a wall

shit is frustrating
>>
File: 1464472397225.png (353 KB, 986x553) Image search: [Google]
1464472397225.png
353 KB, 986x553
>>339815034
what the fuck is this guy trying to say? it dosent matter if the player was looking in ANY other direction via third person. the enemy in the distance can CLEARLY see him
>>
>>339807991
Blizzard uses the term "In favor of the shooter"

Google it and lose your mind

I can't wait for Rankeds, after all they are thanks to god 60tickrate
>>
>>339807991
It's not the tick-rate you buffoon. It's lag. It's the same with CoD. I've had this a whole lot in multiplayer games especially with ones showing the Kill Cam.

Yes "tick-rate" is a problem. But so does lag.
>>
Now that the game is actually out and I actually get matched against people from my region I rarely experience being shot after rounding a wall, and it still happens less in this game than in something like TF2

Not being able to throw off your opponent's aim in "realtime" is annoying but it's relying on your opponent being bad anyways so it's much better to have everything that was aimed correctly hit

>>339816349
>>339816279
Weird stuff with models and firing location around some angles are my biggest complaint right now, certain characters can hit you in certain situations where they're completely behind cover on your screen but they can completely see you and this is easily the worst model/camera mounting I've ever seen in a game, the biggest issues are with changes in elevations or behind certain obstacles
>>
Yeah the game is pretty much unplayable in this state. If youve not bought it yet, hold off for now.
>>
>>339816562
>>339814697
https://youtu.be/H0zbpPCdhGk?t=274
>>
>>339808437
Literally never seen this teamcomp before.
>>
>>339808693
To be fair to the game itself rather than broken cowboy McRee, the flashbang has an AoE that cannot be reflected. It's possible you were hit by that.
>>
File: rage.jpg (336 KB, 1200x877) Image search: [Google]
rage.jpg
336 KB, 1200x877
>tfw muted by blizzard

I can't help myself. I have to inform the fucking mongoloids I'm forced to play with how fucking terrible they are. It doesn't help that Blizzard can't get matchmaking right.
>>
>>339816823
That's because he's pulling it out his ass. I've never been in a game where there was a combination like that. Ever. I've checked some streams as well and no on runs that.
>>
i experienced that a lot in the beta, couple that with shit solo pub experience really made me not buy the game.
its well designed and its a lot of fun with friends, but the tickrate issue spoils that.
shame.
>>
>>339807991
>lets make heroes that are super fast and agile
>their weakness will be paper thin defense that makes them die in 2 shots
>let's implement a lag compensation system where the shooters client is always right
>and water down server connection to 20 tick so we save money

Why me.
>>
File: mlMI4GO.jpg (93 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
mlMI4GO.jpg
93 KB, 640x533
>>339816781
well that sure explains why being in plain view means that webm wasnt of someone being in plain view

wait

no it dosent. not at all.
>if only my tickrate was higher, when i was in plain view i wouldn't of got shot
>if only his tickrate was lower, when i was in plain view i wouldn't of got shot
what fucking part of "in plain view" do you not understand
>>
>>339817080
>not playing with friends
you deserve it
>>
Roadhog is the worst.
There's a very small window between hook animation and him being able to shoot and when you're hooked you can react quick enough to save yourself with some kind of ability.
Half the time it will work on your screen though, but he'll kill you nevertheless.
>>
>>339817482
sounds like you lag bad, roadhog always gets a guaranteed shot after hook
>>
>>339817354
>raging at randoms online
>has friends

pick one
>>
>>339817546
Not true there is a tiny window I've deflected his shotgun back into his face before but it happens maybe 1/4 of the time.
>>
>>339817317
With a higher tickrate and/or a widowmaker with lower ping, he wouldn't have died behind cover on his screen, but before he got behind cover.
>>
>>339817781
the roadhog wasn't holding down his lmb then, he always always always gets a guaranteed shot
>>
>>339817546
It depends on the distance.
>>
>>339816456
some idiot trying to argue that it has nothing to do with tick rate and they were shot in line of sight. but instead of using first person view they highlighted the 3rd person line of sight. which it literally you can see around corners
>>
>>339817546
I'm talking from hooked perspective.
Half the time I can survive with Mei's Ice Block, Lucio's blast, Phara's knockoff, etc...
The other half I do that, but still die.

Once I was hooked as Zenyatta and the only thing I could do is shot a single orb. That orb was enough to kill the hog and died both fucking simultaneously on the spot.
>>
>>339807991
No, tick rate is just the latest meme shitposters have latched onto ever since the ONLY 90 FOV thing went nowhere. This one will last longer since no one using it actually knows what that means even having had it explained to them several times.
>>
>>339818074
>but instead of using first person view
Are you genuinely retarded? The first person view is looking inside.

https://youtu.be/o1fnsffCs8E?t=2m37s
this is literally you
>>
>>339818605
because you lag
if roadhog holds down lmb as hook ends he always gets a free shot off

if you're lagging badly sometimes your game client will tell you he didn't fire that shot and then the server will tell you he did after he fires a tick so it has to rewind you
>>
>>339818784
>ONLY 90 FOV thing went nowhere
what?
>>
>>339818837
It doesn't take a genius to notice that his position is different in 1st and 3rd person views. See >>339816781
>>
>>339818838
>because you lag
Or the roadhog lags. Both are possible. The netcode favors the attacker.
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-03+at+08.17.58).jpg (221 KB, 1535x857) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-03+at+08.17.58).jpg
221 KB, 1535x857
>>339819453
Notice here how you can't fucking see the tracer?
>>
>>339819602
Angles, game isn't perfect at rewinding your position, etc.

Not sure what you're even trying to argue here.
>>
>>339819602
>Angles,
The camera is lined up perfectly with the characters. It isn't peaking around any corners
>>
>>339819859
And? Learn to make your point clear, burgermuncher.
>>
>>339807991
Overwatch is made for kids

It's just a bad Team Fortress reskin with worse tick rate and a Cash Shop.

Blizzard knows, that the kids steal their parents money to buy worthless skins
>>
>>339817317
>wouldn't of

neck yourself, bitch
>>
>>339818074
>>339819453

Bu-But my first person wasn't looking at them.

>Camera Glued to Gun
>Character runs Leaning forward arms extended

Babies first FPS
>>
>>339821282
See >>339816781 again
>>
>>339821360

Irrelevant
>>339814697
>>
>>339821552
How is it irrelevant?

Learn to make your point clear.
>>
File: durrrrrrr.jpg (34 KB, 440x476) Image search: [Google]
durrrrrrr.jpg
34 KB, 440x476
>>339807991
I've lost count of the amount of times I've wanted to trigger my ulti before dying, hearing the sounds and even seeing it start getting executed, then dying without it ever happening.

Sometimes it doesn't even refund my ultimate charge either.
>>
>>339821616

Tick rate is a non issue on this subject
>>339810321

why are you linking a video about tickrate/lag?
>>
>>339822024
Bad tick rate introduces delay just like high player ping does. See >>339817814
>>
Blizzard shills still trying to defend it and resort to git gud arguments.
>>
>that feel when you've hit the skill ceiling of Overwatch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5WuFD73qs
>>
>>339818837
thats why you dont even attempt that retarded argument at all. unless you are really trying too hard to defend something like an enormous faggot. its a tick rate issue. the same tick rate issue that has been known for over 20 years. trying to make excuses using the wrong justifications. trying to make excuses with LoS when even that argument is full head up the ass wrong. whats next? is it because of the frame rate and he missed the frame he was shot? or his resolution is too low to see they were shot? or oh i dont know their internet is too slow so they lagged when they were shot? but oh no its still not the tick rate at all! fucking kek
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.