[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>bethesda hosts mods on it's own website >with it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: happyasian.jpg (91 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
happyasian.jpg
91 KB, 480x480
>bethesda hosts mods on it's own website
>with it's own eula
>saying any mods posted are property of bethesda
>theyre literally getting free assets and resources for future game for free
>>
I'm surprised modding for FO4 took off at all after the monetized mods disaster.
>>
>>339804798
it just works
>>
i just don't get what's the problem with paying some money for a mod if you want to see more created, or a donation to the creator.

this works for Minecraft.
>>
>>339804696
>Hosts mods that work with all others
>hosts mods that support 2gb
>hosts mods that don't use script extensions

I wish I could hurt you with my laughter.
>>
>>339805138
There's nothing wrong with donating money to a modder, but straight up putting mods behind a paywall leads to some shitty shady practices as we saw with vale/bethesda's first attempt
>>
>>339805138

Mods are not really products, they are not guaranteed to work, they have no support, they are buggy injections of random shit into a game that "could be good".

Its fine to make them on your free time, its fine to use them for free and its fine to donate to the person who made it.

But if I pay for something - I expect it to work and work well at that.
I also expect it to be made entirely by who I'm buying it from - not cobbled together from freely available assets others have made.

And most of all, turning the modding scene into a profit-oriented one basically kills one of the last creative part of gaming.

Valve has gotten everything they have thanks to people modding in their free time just to make things they want to - if its about profits than these modders will make what sells - not what could be good.

And you have to be a stupid motherfucker if you think "what sells" is good, see: CoD 25
>>
>>339805710
>they are not guaranteed to work, they have no support, they are buggy injections of random shit
This is the biggest problem I have with monetizing mods. I'd be willing to pay an appropriate amount for mods if I knew that they would definitely work and work seamlessly with the game, but there's too much uncertainty and potential effort that the player has to put in to getting the mod to work properly most of the time.
>>
>>339804696
Keep in one hunned senpai every moddable game's EULA says that
>>
>>339804798
>took off
That's a pretty big word.
It won't go to FNV or Skyrim level of modding
>>
>>339804696
Can I get sources?
>>
>>339805138
>dev releases unacceptably buggy game
>modder fixes it and charges for the mod
>developer gets a cut
>developer gets rewarded for making a game worse than it should have been
If DSFix was a paid mod then From would have basically been given a bonus for releasing Dark Souls on PC in the state that it was, for example.
When SkyUI was a paid mod, that rewarded Bethesda for making a game with poor UI.
I dislike that.
>>
>>339805710
>they are not guaranteed to work, they have no support, they are buggy injections of random shit
This applies to most Bethesda games at launch and they still sell a lot.
>>
>>339807578
Only because they kept on expanding their buyer base by making the games more and more casual.
>>
>>339807578
The difference is Bethesda is obligated to at least patch the seriously broken shit. A modder isn't.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.