[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stracraft's fall from glory
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11
File: Screenshot_1.png (81 KB, 173x263) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
81 KB, 173x263
Wasn't this huge? Didn't tons of people play this?

WHAT HAPPENED?
>>
>>339804570
Mobas, new generation of gamers, lack of great RTS titles in general, neo Blizzard's terrible philosophies
>>
>>339804570
Koreans happen.
No one wants to watch gook to see who clicks faster.
Americans need their AMERICA HEROS.
>>
glad to see WC3 will outlive this piece of shit
>>
>>339804716
Too bad that they're shit at games
>>
>>339804775
I thought we are talking about Starcraft which they are the best at for decades.
>>
>>339804570
Blizzard.
>>
every answer in this thread is wrong

the real answer is sc1 and sc2 both died the same way because KR started fixing matches. there are liquid posts that explain all of it
>>
Lotv is awful.
>>
Wouldnt it be dope if some good RTS was released?
>>
>>339804570
Played this recently, vanilla wings of liberty. Battle.net is so bloated with new content its hard to look at
>>
>>339804570
blizzard made the koreans pay for it, they were using cracked versions of brood war to play in bangs
>>
File: e7o2WMA.gif (3 MB, 328x450) Image search: [Google]
e7o2WMA.gif
3 MB, 328x450
>>339804570
not even a fucking general thread on /vg/ anymore. damn.
>>
>>339804820
Koreans were always the best ones
>>
>>339805184
Rock Paper Scissors with hero hands and ults
>>
>>339805379
Come on now, lying isnt nice.
>>
Lotv is pretty much the only game I play and it"s been so for a few years. Of biurze - it has its flaws, but I still feel like its the best multiplayer game out there.

Its also difficult and requires a lot of time to get fun for new players.

Gsl Code A starts in a few minutes, go watch it :)
>>
>>339805379
Made me check.
And no it still exists. Though it is still a shitpost general rather than game general
>>
File: PEPE_940.jpg (101 KB, 1024x904) Image search: [Google]
PEPE_940.jpg
101 KB, 1024x904
>>339805184
Probably something even more idiotic than mobas. My bet is on fighting games.
>>
>>339804570
They didn't add in things to keep casuals playing. IF they did something like valve's csgo or dota 2 cosmetic system it might have retained more casuals and hence more people interested in e-sports.

Even then they fucked up massively in different ways. They implemented a tournament system that allowed Koreans to register as Americans, and thus every tournament became zero personality gook versus gook. This wouldn't be a problem if the meta for swarm and liberty were interesting but it really wasn't.
>>
File: 1459676765498.png (120 KB, 419x263) Image search: [Google]
1459676765498.png
120 KB, 419x263
>>339804570
>Didn't tons of people play this?

>Posts image of the number of people not playing it

Retard
>>
>>339804570
Just visited the /vg/ and it reminded me that I hated the "fans". They only talk about the drama and shit surrounding the e-sport-stars, never talk much about improving your game etc

There is this facebook-group called BarCraft, were all they do is watch other people play and they suggest stupid things like "that unit shouldn't be that good because it is not so fun to look at". No, you are not fucking supposed to look at it, you are supposed to be playing you stupid drunk lazy piece of shit
>>
>>339805184
It's already happening hero shooters,MMOFPS,digital card games
>>
>>339805539
this I agree with. Chasing portraits was fun in Warcraft 3 when I was 13 and had nothing better to do, now you want some more incentive to your "waste of time"
>>
>>339804570
>WHAT HAPPENED?
Heart of the Swarm and taking too long with Legacy of the Void, people just stopped caring about Starcraft 2 and went back to Brood War
>>
Video related.

twitch dot tv/artosis/v/69809342?t=10m22s
>>
Rather than balancing the game, Blizzard applied a bandaid to every single problem. The result was LotV which is a complete mess with retarded units like Liberators and Disruptors and Lurkers which are completely imbalanced space denial units that all suck both to play with and to play against.

People have literally been going back to WoL just because LotV is so bad.
>>
Brood War was the best competitive game Blizzard ever made and they drowned it in the bathtub for this shit
>>
It's almost 6 years old. Game lifespans aren't what they used to be.
>>
>>339804570
Modern Blizzard.
>>
File: 1464689999262.jpg (44 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1464689999262.jpg
44 KB, 480x360
As someone who loved SC2 back in 2011 let me summarise

>Game is too hard for 95% of players
>Game is 1v1 so you only have yourself to blame if you lose
>Game is focused more on APM and build orders rather than micro and strategy
>Primary tournament scene GOM locked behind paywall just to watch the broadcast
>Meanwhile LoL actually gave a fun game to watch for players
>>
>>339804740
Both games will live
>>
The real reason ? Because it's not easily accessible to the mass, it requires a lot of time before you're able to accomplish just a tiny bit.
That and because Blizzard is and always was shit at balancing games.
>>
>>339804740
Wc3 does have a huge comeback right now. Big names like moon and grubby are back in the game, tournaments from china being streamed.
Even if starcraft2 is the more complex game. battl.net 2.0 is a complete disaster without lobbies and makes it feel very lonely
>>
>>339804570
what? it always was niche as fuck

also legacy of the void happened
>>
File: rey.png (298 KB, 560x318) Image search: [Google]
rey.png
298 KB, 560x318
i just felt like the multiplayer was incredibly punishing, hard, not really user or newbie friendly and that i ended up losing most of the matches so it got unfair and boring
also you dont really care about singleplayer once you clear the storyline even if there would be a hard mode
if they had like fun skin drops, really fast 4v4´s that would be like not 30 minutes but 4-10 minutes i would be willing to reinstall
right now i like valve stuff more
>>
MOBAs are straightforward and easy to watch. RTS games are not.

>>339808596
Dont think you know what you are talking about. League is just as old and still vastly popular.
>>
>>339808886
>always was

Brood War went over a decade of mainstream pro tournaments without balance patches, it remained relatively balanced (55% vs 45% T>Z>P>T) and the metagame is still evolving to this day.

SC2 was just garbage compared to it.
>>
>>339808723
>Game is focused more on APM and build orders rather than micro and strategy
How can you focus on APM and not focus on actual actions? Either you're memeing and don't know what you talking about or just wrong. You boost APM to micro and macro, if the game is not focused on those then there's no APM involved, because there's no more actions to do other than selecting and deselecting workers that does fuck shit.
>>
>>339804570
They tried so hard to make gook clicker 2000 that they forgot to make the game fun.
That's basically it. Even if you're a starcraft fan and even if you're good at the game eventually you realize that you're not having fun and you quit.

Blizzard's matchmaking system didn't really help at all either. If you win a bunch of games in a row or win a game or two against people you know you shouldn't have beaten, you can be sure that you'll spend the next few days getting raped up the ass with a rusty pipe. After experiencing this a few times, most players lose the will to log in during the losing streaks.
>>
>>339808596
CS 1.6 still does have one of the highest amounts of players, bigger than CS:source. Can't match GO tho.
>>
>>339809034
>How can you focus on APM and not focus on actual actions
>and build orders

That's exactly the problem they were describing. In most cases you are just going through the motions.
>>
>>339809548
Didn't know there are build orders that let you win the game in SC2. It's all about countering the present threat. Every game has "motions" and build orders. In some of the games they are less distinguishable, like in CoH2, in some they are straight up the same, mechanically, like in Red Alert series (except for 3) and SupCom.
>>
still around 25 thousand players daily during EU/NA evenings. just log into SC2 if you don't believe me, it's free.

Not all games are fun to watch and/or easy to stream. Infact, I'd say SC2 is one of the shittier games to stream since there is barely any game where commenting during gameplay is harder.

When will this twitch meme end already?
>>
>>339809548
I felt a lot in the games I've played that scouting is a big problem, since ever map is build around players blocking off their entrances and "loss by buildorder" happens a whole lot. I've also seen a lot of games of high skilled players that just build up for 15 minutes and then the guy that build more wins in one big clash. I just don't enjoy this, man
>>
File: Hail kerrigan.png (195 KB, 800x550) Image search: [Google]
Hail kerrigan.png
195 KB, 800x550
I can't accept the way SC2 raped the characters and the lore. I just can't.
>>
>>339808901
I've been getting back into wc3 recently. It's great to see Grubby and Tod playing 2v2s on stream and chatting. It's everything I wanted 10 years ago.
>>
File: 1432232264733.jpg (94 KB, 785x662) Image search: [Google]
1432232264733.jpg
94 KB, 785x662
So from what I gather from this thread is that it failed because it was too hard for people?

No surprise we have nothing other than casual mobile trash, mobas and games with QTE nowadays then.
>>
>>339810258
it failed because of muh espurtz
>>
>>339810258
>too hard
I don't think that's quite it. While blizzard's matchmaking is quite harsh, it's also pretty good at making sure the overwhelming majority of players have around a 50% win rate.
If you're bad, you still win around as much as someone who is good. There's really no punishment for bad players.

I think the larger issue is that it's really not fun.
>>
>>339810258
> failed
> two expansions
> active player count big enough to be on the top 20 steam charts

I can count the games on my fingers wich /v/ wound shout "dead game" at.
>>
>>339808991
Point taken, and I guess Wc3 wasn't too bad either at some point.
>>
>>339809741
>I've also seen a lot of games of high skilled players that just build up for 15 minutes and then the guy that build more wins in one big clash.
That's pretty much what most of the toss players did in BW, except the push was at around 12-13 minutes mark
>>
>>339804701
this but also, dude the game is like 6 years old now. It had its time, it paved for the way for most modern day esports.

Starcraft 2 brought esports to the masses and made people comfortable with the idea. Outside of korea that is.

inb4 "but but but but unreal ! unreal unreal and q-q-q-q-quake" Yea those were in the west but lets be honest, it was like you and your cousin watching it.

SC2 was really the first game to get mass attraction, its left a legacy. Any SC fan can be proud of that.
>>
gook kill it with their soulless machine pretend to be human
We need somekind of rule so they cant play game more than 8 hours a day to fix this shit.
>>
File: day2dance06.jpg (199 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
day2dance06.jpg
199 KB, 1920x1080
>>339804570
People realized that Broodwar and WarIII are way better.
>>
>>339804570
They fucked up by releasing it in a episodic manner.
Shit splits the community, also poor mod support.

That's just the technical reasons.

Else, it's a shit sequel, the Starcraft tone isn't there, you can tell it's neo blizzard.

This and diablo 3 really did hurt.
>>
People expect these games to be a tectical duel, seeing who can outsmart whom. Somehow Blizzard made the game so stale that it boils down who can click their buildorder faster. By now it has more of competetive Osu than an rts.
>>
>>339808991

Yeah.

But Brood war was a tough act to follow. The chance that sc2 would be better was 1/1000 at best.
>>
File: wcs.jpg (86 KB, 961x643) Image search: [Google]
wcs.jpg
86 KB, 961x643
>>339804570
>>
>>339810861
SC2 started out strong but I really think its ultimate legacy is the way its poor handling sunk the entire RTS genre. After being on life support for so long it just serves as a strong warning to game developers. If even blizzard can't make their RTS games a success, what hope does anyone else have? Especially after MOBAs have reprogrammed the average casual gamer to expect something much less demanding.

On a side note I really wish blizzard would put Dustin Browder out of his misery. I think he's a dreadful developer and I can only assume he's still around because one of the executives really likes him.
>>
>>339809796
>tidings of DoOoOoOoOoOoOm, James Raynor
>>
>>339804570
The game itself is okay, but bnet 2.0 killed any chance for a real in-game community to form
>>
>>339804570
> lore was bad
> added shit mechanics like spawn larvae which did nothing but waste APM
> made 1v1 the entire focus
> greatly diminished social options in game
> heavily restricted the types of custom games people would play
> focused on Esports rather than making the game fun for 90% of the player base
>>
>>339809796
Just tell yourself that SCII isn't canon.
>>
File: protoss3.png (257 KB, 1133x461) Image search: [Google]
protoss3.png
257 KB, 1133x461
>>339813416
Swoltanis, hierarch of the Brotoss
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.