[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why cannot I like this game? Its not like I WANT to go against
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 27
Why cannot I like this game? Its not like I WANT to go against the grain, but every time someone calls this a good game, let alone one of the best games of all time I cant help but to cringe and get fucking angry

why exactly is this supposed to be good? What am I missing? Id atleast understand if the reaction was reserved for MGS2, because even while being heavily faulty its unique, arcadey and knows where its strengths lie

fuck, id probably understand people saying it about MGS4 more- that game also has unique systems you nary see in third person shooters, its much smoother, there is much more attention to detail etc

MGS3 simply feels like shit to play- I find the aesthetic and even the sounds of picking up items or browsing the menus repulsive, the colors are bland and ugly (also in MGS4 though) the controls are terrible, the game has an identity crisis, the plot is extremely bad while getting praised to hell and back, almost all of the bossfights are very bad (just like the boss characters themselves)

the levels are a straight, linear line, which is even more jarring because its supposed to be an outdoors environment: the game doesnt have clever or interesting level design, nor does it have a vast forest to explore

most of the game is busywork like browsing menus, and the actual gameplay mostly consists of crawling or slowwalking with the fucking Dpad before pulling off repetitive CQC moves or using clunky holdups

do educate me on why this is supposedly the best game of all time, best MGS, best stealth game or fucking anything

It really puts my hatred to frame that I also played splinter cell 3 when it came out (same time MGS3 came out) and that game actually had amazing technology, the games graphics look better than some of the shit that gets released today, and its pure stealth gameplay is still unmatched
>>
If you don't like cheesy 80s action movies, MGS3 probably isn't for you. I can fully imagine Jean-Claude Van Damme or even Steven Seagal in a movie like MGS3.
>>
>>339803394
Cheesy 80's action movies arent riddled with shallow anime characters explaining a third graders thesis about war nor are they riddled with terrible gameplay
>>
>>339803565
Conan the Barbarian was basically anime.

>obnoxious characters
>child raises from nothing to become a powerful warrior that avenges his family and love
>over-the-top plot line
Also of course moves aren't riddled with terrible gameplay lol. But then again, neither is MGS3 ;)
>>
File: 1464434017895.jpg (124 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
1464434017895.jpg
124 KB, 1300x866
>>339803786
>Also of course moves aren't riddled with terrible gameplay lol. But then again, neither is MGS3 ;)

so good job refuting nothing from the OP post

it has bad gameplay even by the standards of its own franchise unless you count in portable shit like PW or PO
>>
>>339803870
>survival system
>diverse locations from forests to mountains to concrete bases
>little attention-to-detail things like being able to destroy radios or food depots that affect enemies
>occasionally offered several ways to approach a location
>>
File: 1459165785148.png (374 KB, 540x587) Image search: [Google]
1459165785148.png
374 KB, 540x587
>>339804127
>survival system
Is this supposed to be a bonus? This is exactly the "busywork" im talking about, there is no fucking survival in knifing a snake and then browsing some menus a bit later

>diverse locations from forests to mountains to concrete bases

everything is brown and green shit, and as I said even though they try to seem like outdoors locations, this only highlights how they truly are linear hallways instead of something like MGS2 where it makes sense

>>little attention-to-detail things like being able to destroy radios or food depots that affect enemies

funny how people keep saying this but these are the only things they can ever actually say, so I can poison the food of some repetitive guard post to see them get nauseated instead of just holding them up once per game? Wow sure made the game good now

>occasionally offered several ways to approach a location

so do most stealth games but the choice in MGS3 is usually to either stay unnoticed or to kill everyone or something from that spectrum, there is rarely any semblance of choice or freedom of approach, which is the true "attention to detail" that fucking concretely matters in a game, not stupid shit like being able to shoot a radio before an enemy calls in reinforcements
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 234x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 234x215
>tfw you only played the original version without the free camera
>>
because it is a fucking shit game? the best MGS is MGS2.
>>
>>339803096
I understand you, OP.
That hatred you have for MGS3 is the same as the one I have for MGSV, I just cannot fathom why would anyone ever like it, and I cannot help but cringe every time I hear someone say it's a good game, let alone best stealth game/MGS or anything

But I also just accept that every game is not for everyone and that's okay. Tastes are a personal and subjective thing, just because the majority likes it, it doesn't mean you will or should like it.
The game isn't for you, and there's nothing wrong with that
>>
>>339804632
I will always have bad memories of MGS3 because of this
>>
>>339803096
>the controls are terrible
controls are godawful in all of them

it wasn't until GZ/TPP when they actuallyditched retardation of MSX control weapon/item double switching scheme
>>
MGS = retarded gameplay

Stop this shit and play Splinter Cell
>>
You are too late, should ve played it when it came out
>>
>>339803096
>>339804523
Those are a lot of words just to say "I'm a hipster".
>>
You aren't alone OP.

MGS is easily one of the most overrated game series of all time.
>>
>>339805436
are you retarded?
>>
>>339803096
tl;dr
>>
>>339803096
Sounds like you have a case of shit taste, there is no cure I'm very sorry.
>>
File: pretentious.jpg (24 KB, 530x353) Image search: [Google]
pretentious.jpg
24 KB, 530x353
>>339806617
>le t-taste meme

is this your only "argument"? Tell me how your "taste" makes you patrician when actual facts and arguments point to other games being objectively better

is MGS3 genuinely only praised so much because it was the ps2babbies first action game and made them feel mature with its laughable "plot"?
>>
>>339803096

I agree with your assessment of MGS2 but not all of your stuff on MGS3.

Firstly, MGS2 was a daring game that alienated the dumber, more casual game desiring lower common denominator demographics. They hugely praise MGS3 for being a lot more conventional in many ways.

But be srs. MGS3 has by far the best boss fights of the series, the most and best easter eggs and little touches, a conventional plot with enough twists to be enjoyable and if you played MGS3 Subsistence then the camera is good as well
>>
File: suave sheldog.jpg (19 KB, 420x352) Image search: [Google]
suave sheldog.jpg
19 KB, 420x352
>>339806924
>Subsistence then the camera is good as well
I think id probably genuinely like the game more if I was forced to use the old camera- the animations are unbearable from a more "realistic" POV
>>
>>339806776
No one has to prove shit to you you braindead cunt
>>
File: 1420127936863.jpg (434 KB, 986x1378) Image search: [Google]
1420127936863.jpg
434 KB, 986x1378
>>339807064
Average MGS3 fan here
>>
>>339803096
Don't worry, /v/ just has shit taste. And the eclipsed acclaim over mgs1 for mgs3 is only perpetuated by underagedb&s.

Splinter Cell has always been the superior games overall. Pat yourself on the back for being an honorary patrician.
>>
>>339805169
Wrong. 1 is objectively the best artistically, cohesively, and mechanically. But alas, tat's if you like movie games. As a game and compared to other stealth games, it falls flat tremendously. I'd wager Metal Gear, as a franchise, has always been (forcefully convoluted) style over substance.
>>
File: 47c.png (22 KB, 557x605) Image search: [Google]
47c.png
22 KB, 557x605
>It's an MGS2 is better episode
>>
Unpopular opinions thread?

La Mulana is terrible.
>>
>>339803096
b-b-but muh boss!!!! muh feels?!!?!?

how dare you make fun of my first MGS game!
>>
>>339803096
I love it, but MGS3 has a lot of poorly-implemented ideas that make the game a bit sloppy on a fundamental level despite the strengths in its presentation. It's the beginning of the downward slide for Metal Gear. It definitely influenced what came after it in a lot of unfortunate ways.
>>
>>339807825
I personally don't think it is but I respect your opinion and see how it would be better to others in certain regards.
>>
It sounds like you have some bizarre bigotted inclination towards as this game as if it is an affront to your every sensation.
The fact is, you hate this because it's loved.
Even some of the worst games I've played I was able to mostly find at least one or two things about it I liked and could see why others liked it.
But you're going full sperg mode completely fishing for (You)s because you know /v/ is full of fanatics who defend their shit taste to the bloody death.
>>
>>339807395
>And the eclipsed acclaim over mgs1 for mgs3 is only perpetuated by underagedb&s.
I actually like MGS1's core design over MGS3 (I prefer the classic style of MG2-MGS2); the issue is that MGS1 is basically just boss fights. And the stealth that's there is pretty undemanding. The second disc is most guilty of this, but it's an issue throughout. The game never has the time to truly capitalize on its ideas. And even in terms of bosses I think MGS3's are ultimately more satisfying even if FOXHOUND might be more memorable than the Cobras.
>>
>>339808517
My hatred for it is a combination of many things, but hating it even more when it (unjustly) gets praised as the best game ever isnt hard to understand

Before i played it for the first time, my at the time boyfriend kept telling me it would be the best mgs game id ever play- what a fucking disgusting disappointmemt

Not to mention he was a genuinely autistic sperg though who refused to talk to me if i insulted mgs3 or dmc4
>>
>>339808929
>boyfriend
FOXHOUND
O
X
H
O
U
N
D
>>
File: 1459202018261.gif (132 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1459202018261.gif
132 KB, 500x281
>>339808517
Face it. Metal Gear is shit and babby's first stealth game.

Not to mention, the plots are nonsensical drivel with tonally inconsistent writing

Oh but DUDE NUCLEAR PROLIFERATION THROUGH MEMES LMAO XD

DUDE MERYLL'S BUTT LMAO XD
>>
>>339809217
nah
>>
>>339803096
The problem is shit walker turned boss into a singing robot who's a cunt retconing the idea she's an unsung war hero at the end of 3
>>
>>339803096
The a.i.'s also shit and you're given so much health AND it regenerates.

You essentially can't even die in mgs3.
>>
>>339806924
Mgs3 boss battles are good but they can't read my konami saves like mgs1 which had the most innovative bosses.

Mgs2 can't be the best game in the series because it has the worst environment being 99% corridors. Not to mention playing as naked raiden for over an hour
>>
>>339806924
>Firstly, MGS2 was a daring game that alienated the dumber, more casual game desiring lower common denominator demographics
There is nothing groundbreking about MGS2's plot. It's generic and been done better in other mediums.
>>
File: 1461357249366.png (545 KB, 855x476) Image search: [Google]
1461357249366.png
545 KB, 855x476
>>339809150
I always find it hilarious how this board can never decide whether or not its a special feat to be a woman or not

>>339809575
>Not to mention playing as naked raiden for over an hour

how bad are you at the game? Playing as naked raiden last for literally ONE hallway full of enemies and another hallway where you run back and forth before you get a cutscene

>>339809362
The Boss was already a terrible character that I just wanted to kill for the whole game, and now that I think about it the only "characters" that I didnt absolutely hate were the major and eva

its the mark of a true pleb when someone acts like the boss is a good character or even presented in any decent way for le feels

the boss is a shitty plot device that the game tells you to care for, while the player has zero reason to do so- maybe if you actually spent half the game with her on your side the betrayal would have meant something
>>
File: IMG_20160601_205615.jpg (18 KB, 366x366) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_205615.jpg
18 KB, 366x366
>>339803096
Tiger stripe and splitter will carry you through 80% of the game bruv. What you said about level design is pure uneducated shitspouting, everything else is pure bait.
>>
>>339809787
You're not special but guys wanna grope your tittites anyway
>>
>>339809994
they arent that big

>>339809986
le bait meme

So how is the level design supposedly good? The game is as if you took a jungle from TPP and plit it into hallways with loading screens between the rooms

The camo system being useless and still being there to waste time also isnt a point in the games favor
>>
>>339809787
Sounds like you're self inserting my friend. You don't do the same shit with movies do you?
>>
>>339803096
It should have been a new IP as opposed to a MGS game
>>
>>339810148
The entire reason why I dont give a shit about the Boss is because Im not a self inserting autist- the only way you possibly would is if you insert into Snake

The only thing the game presents me is an annoying cunt with a boring voice and super duper girl powers so she can beat absolutely everyone since she knows yoga

>>339810205
More like it shouldnt have existed at all when Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell did everything it tried to do but better and more focused
>>
>>339809787
>maybe if you actually spent half the game with her on your side the betrayal would have meant something

This. I never really understood why I was even supposed to care that she defected. She was literally on your side for about 45 minutes out of a 12 hour game.
Naomi betraying Otacon was more shocking than the Boss, and if MGS4 does something better than you know that it's wrong.
>>
>>339810085
Post them
>>
>>339810360
Eva betraying Snake was the saddest moment for me desu.
>>
>>339809780
>It's generic
I get you want to shit on the game badly, but choose better adjectives next time.
>>
>>339810459
not going to, /v/ has a hateboner for me and i never really post pics of any kind about myself outside of maybe /soc/

>>339810360
MGS4 does singular things better than many other games though, Old Snake is easily one of the best "gruff military dude" protagonists ever made for example
>>
>>339810681
bruh, Old Snake fucking sucks ass.
I will never forgive Kojima for completely rewriting Solid Snake and making him into a depressed sack of shit.
>>
File: szlachta.jpg (281 KB, 813x963) Image search: [Google]
szlachta.jpg
281 KB, 813x963
>>339810085
If you took your time and actually look at the maps you would see that there's at least 2 ways to clear every single one of them, not to mention the helipad, the mountains and the soviet base at the last 3rd of the game.

Camo system was a much needed breath of fresh air, it mixed up the gameplay of the series that played basically the same since the 80's. It was improved upon in MGS4, surprise, and it can be a bit clunky (very occasionally), but it's not as big of a problem as you're trying to make it out to be.
>>
>this thread

you never fail to disappoint /v/
>>
>>339810681
desu Snake was a depressed sack of shit ever since MG2.
>>
>>339810821
Old Snake is one of the best game protagonists of all time and the scene with Naomi doing a medical check on him/ him being shirtless in front of a mirror is probably the best cutscene in an MGS game

>>339810837
How the fuck does the camo system "mix up the gameplay" when its simply you going into a menu and looking at what has the highest stats? Even fucking TPP has a better camo system by far
>>
I saw some screenshots of a HD looking MGS3. Is Konami remaking MGS3? Please be true
>>
File: a.jpg (93 KB, 400x622) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
93 KB, 400x622
>>339810939
You know that MG games were all about looking at the radar screen instead of the actual gameplay before MGS3, right? You said you played MGS2.
>>
>>339810995
https://youtu.be/rszPXD8PSdY
What are you feeling after watching this trailer?
>>
>>339810939
Solid Snake is objectively a better character than Old Snake.
Snake actually grew as a person from the events that unfolded in previous games, he took Gray Fox's dying words to heart and became a better person.
In MGS2, Snake finally started fighting for what he believed in, he worked on his own and tried to show Raiden the importance of deciding things on your own, and not blindly believing whatever people tell you.

Then MGS4 comes along and now Snake cares about nothing anymore for literally no reason, and Raiden became a faggot edgelord.
>>
>>339810590
Shalom, reddit!

It's generic action schlock reinforced by plot contrivances with light philosophical themes sprinkled about that are barely explored beyond shallow depths.

Get better taste.
>>
>>339811216
Old Snake was fighting for a free world. "Let the world be", meaning let the people around the world decide what they want it to be by themselves intead of some spooky ass AI.

If he didn't care, he wouldn't be travelling around the world in a BDSM suit complaining about his back pains all the time.
>>
>it's another "splinter cell is better than metal gear" thread
>>
>>339811902
>metal gear
>good stealth game

pick 1
>>
>>339812092
Splinter Cell is objective shit and died a long time ago as a franchise.
>>
>>339803096
You have genuine shit taste Op that all the (you)s in the world won't alleviate. Splinter Cell got flushed years ago so thoroughly that Ubisoft would even make a Pachinko machine for it.
>>
File: image.png (627 KB, 1355x791) Image search: [Google]
image.png
627 KB, 1355x791
>>339807119
>this thread
>going through this much trouble to hate on a metal gear game

wew
>>
>>339812910
Neither are patrician but 1 would be the closest.
>>
>>339807684
>MGS1
>mechanics
>>
>>339803096
I dont know, if you dont like it you dont like it, no one says you have to like it. Its like a cheesy 80s cold war movie mixed with anime.
>>
Am i the only one who think the end and the boss are very overrated fights?

The fear is the one i had the most fun fighting in MGS 3.

My top 3 from the first 3
1:Solidus
2:Liquid on top of rex
3: Raven/Fatman
>>
>>339803096
>Why cannot I like this game?

angry MGS2 fanboys won't let you like this game despite their game being the worst in the series
>>
>>339812565
This
>>
File: cliff_bleszinski.jpg (216 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
cliff_bleszinski.jpg
216 KB, 500x389
>>339803096
>the sounds of picking up items or browsing the menus repulsive
Funny, I find these sounds satisfying as ever. Tastes and colors man...
>>
>>339803096
>Id atleast understand if the reaction was reserved for MGS2, because even while being heavily faulty its unique, arcadey and knows where its strengths lie

MGS2 has strengths?
>>
>>339815983
Yes, you are the only one
>>
>>339803096
...no one's said it yet? Seriously? Fine, I'll be the first, OP: git gud
>>
File: AngerMan.jpg (61 KB, 375x450) Image search: [Google]
AngerMan.jpg
61 KB, 375x450
>>339803096
>most of the game is busywork like browsing menus, and the actual gameplay mostly consists of crawling or slowwalking with the fucking Dpad before pulling off repetitive CQC moves or using clunky holdups
Its sounds like you're playing the game wrong
>>
>>339816827
What is there to fucking git gud at? Its the easiest MGS game
>>
>>339803565
>characters explaining a third graders thesis about war
probably the worst thing for me. that last scene with the boss was top cringe.
the camera ruined the whole gameplay too, i can't believe they released it like that
>>
>>339807119
>not liking electric Russian transformers with ghost dad and All-Star Mom
>>
>>339816934
>claims MGS3 is the easiest and posts ss from MGSV
>implying

nice comparison there, bucko. really helps your argument. next time try harder.
>>
>>339817420
Are you retarded? Also yes, MGS3 or normal is much easier than GZ on normal

>but it must be better and harder since its o-older!!

im posting screens of GZ because its the infinitely better game than MGS3
>>
File: mgs2.jpg (341 KB, 996x1445) Image search: [Google]
mgs2.jpg
341 KB, 996x1445
>>339807119
I would that MGS3 over MGS2 any day of the week
>>
>>339803096
>I cant help but to cringe and get fucking angry
You are a child
>>
File: shelly.jpg (39 KB, 494x378) Image search: [Google]
shelly.jpg
39 KB, 494x378
>>339818014
>movie buff sees hundreds of millions of people saying transformers 2 is the best movie ever made

>videogame buff sees millions of manchildren saying MGS3 is the best game ever made

>d-duuuude its just a game lol
>>
>>339817513
STOP MAKING FUN OF MGS3!! ITS THE BEST GAME EVER MADE BECAUSE OF MUH FUN AND MUH FEELS! DIDN'T YOU CRY WHEN THE BOSS DIED?
>>
>>339812565
To be fair, both franchises are dead now, and it hurts
>>
File: 1458089287731s.jpg (11 KB, 250x206) Image search: [Google]
1458089287731s.jpg
11 KB, 250x206
>>339818170
MGS 3 Pachinko edition
>>
>>339818151
The fact that you actually get angry whenever you see that is testament to how much of a child you are.

I don't even like MGS very much, I just came into this thread to tell you to grow up.
>>
>>339803096
I agree with everything said here except the implication that mgs2 is good.

The series in general is vastly overrated, pisspoor easy, and not very fun to play.
>>
I think people like Metal Gear for the cutscenes.

The gameplay itself is humdrum and mediocre with random thoughtless enemy placement, bland lifeless environments, and tonally inconsistent gameplay/writing.
>>
File: 1450457306105.jpg (603 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450457306105.jpg
603 KB, 1280x720
>>339818436
I didnt say MGS2 is good, I said I can somewhat understand people praising it because at least its unique

MGS1 is one of the only "stealth" games with good boss battles, and MGS2 is basically a different flavor of 1 with some updated mechanics
>>
>>339818606
why? ;_;
>>
>>339818863
Terrible character

Though, that's not really saying anything for Metal Gear characters.
>>
V is the best. Fuck off fags. Best Snake, best gameplay, no faggy story, no shitty cutscenes, best replayability.
>>
>>339819061
>Terrible character

MGS2 Raiden was worse
>>
>>339803096
>do educate me on why this is supposedly the best game of all time, best MGS, best stealth game or fucking anything
Nope, you're right about the aesthetics and the controls/gameplay
I think you have to be gay for Snake, which /v/ is good at. (being gay)
>>
>>339819171
back to vg, mgsv shit eater. Big Medic will forever be the worst Snake.
>>
>>339819264
Kill yourself.
>>
MGS3 was the first time i followed a game from the first TGS trailer until release.
Getting it and playing it felt so good.
Every moment in trailer was in the game perfectly done, i never felt so satisfied with a game since.
>>
Wish they had kept the top down camera. Becoming a third person shooter damaged the series irreparably.
>>
>>339819652
because it made the games bearable?
>>
>>339803565
>nor are they riddled with terrible gameplay
But MGS3 is fun as fuck to play you dweeb
>>
>>339819652
That's the most trivial problem though
Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.