[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
4K display for gaming, with option to play 1080 res with 120 FPS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Asus 4k monitor.jpg (229 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Asus 4k monitor.jpg
229 KB, 1920x1080
So I need help. Apparently there's some stuff called scaling which I have no idea about (since I've been doing most of my gaming with PC and native resolution), and I'm curious if I were to buy a 4k monitor, would it have a 120 hz for 1080 resolution, and would it be good for gaming?

I want the 4k resolution for editing photos (and maybe for some games my hw can run on 60hz), but fast FPS I really would like to have option to play 120hz / 120 fps. Are the new 4K monitors good for this?

And what about the panel? Is the IPS a must-have? Because if not, there're stuff like this
>>
Some help would be appreciated, I want to get a 4k monitor for my photog stuff, but I also want to have option to play OW 1080 @120fps
>>
>>339792453
>4k
>ips
>1 ms response

holy shit nigger
>>
>>339793038
The pictured Asus is TN, thus I'm asking if IPS is must have. It has 1ms response
>>
Also is the G-sync or Freesync good to have? I noticed some screen tearing on https://youtu.be/EEMvkNSmXSY?t=327 :/
>>
DON'T EVER PUT 1080P CONTENT ON 4K MONITORS
Despite what they tell you, no 4K display on earth currently has a 4:1 scaling process for 1080p, without this process, you are getting a blurred, scratched, interoplated, jaggied mess of pixels.

Even if 2160 x 3840 is exactly 4x as large as 1080 x 1920, the display will use an interpolator regardless of signal for the sake of compatability. The signal will not just blow up, 4 pixels will not just represent one, it will be interpolated, it will be ugly as fuck, and you will regret your purchase.
>>
>>339794085
What about the newer monitors, are they better, or is this problem still with newer gen 4k monitors?
>>
>>339795073
I never claimed to be a professional photo editor or professional photographer. It's a hobby, but gaming is also equally as important to me.

The notion that "it's not IPS, thus it must be bad" could be changing with never generation of panels. It seems that every panel design/choice has their pro/cons, and with newer tech there surfaces workarounds / newer innovation around those shortcomings.
>>
>>339794085
Why the fuck? How are the manufacturers that dumb?
>>
>>339794085
Any modern UHD does 4:1
>>
>>339796718
Got anything to back that up?
>>
>>339796718
He's saying it uses interpolation scaling instead of the fucking obvious nearest neighbor which would resolve any scaling issue from 1080p to 2160p.

Sad how TVs can do this but monitors can't, and apparently GPUs can't do this either?
>>
>>339797714
I'll back that up if you back that ass up
>>
>>339797923
-> >>339797901
>>
>>339797901
This. Just got a 4K TV in a month ago for more recent stuff, and it does 1080p wonderfully, to the point where outside some jaggies it is hard to tell the difference in most cases.

Although this is probably just my TV, but there are some oddities. 1440p on my TV has a weird 30 FPS lock (Going to dive into the settings for it later and see if I can fix that), and going above 3,840 x 2,160 will display properly, but cut out the sound.
>>
>>339792453
The explanation I heard was.
Tv's have dedicated uspcaler that does upscaling nicely, monitors are normally used with PC's so they dont have any uspcalers because it would be rarely used feature and would just baloon costs.
Also uspcaling to 4k increase input lag and can look very bad so for consoles its better to go with normal fullHD.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.