[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are poise heavy builds still viable in Dark Souls III?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10
File: 6209453088_a099fc305c_b.jpg (279 KB, 1024x575) Image search: [Google]
6209453088_a099fc305c_b.jpg
279 KB, 1024x575
>>
>>339784006
No, poise is worthless now.
However, heavy armor is still good, especially since midrolling is 30-70%, gives you a ton of room for armor.
>>
Poise doesn't work.
Its all about the poke spamming now since you can fucking stagger a full metal fatty with one poke from an estoc.
>>
>>339784006
They literally disabled poise. Straight up turned it off.
>>
>>339784006
no, dont pump vit past 15 and use whatever keeps you under 70%
>>
>>339785491
>>339785637
>>339785696
Whats even worse is that heavy armour gives you hardly any more protection than light rags
>>
Yes. Screw the naysayers. Heavy armor + tower shield with high stability is almost a guaranteed win.

Heavy build is best build.
>>
>>339785905
Not even for the resistance stats that it gives? I wanted to make a full vit/end build with a raw weapon.
>>
>>339786087
Stability isn't poise.
>>
>>339784006
Heavy Armor? Junk

But you still need high vitality if you want to use heavy weapons and great shields without fat rolling.
>>
I just picked this game up today, are these builds still viable outside of PvP? I rocked Havel's gear throughout 1 and 2, I thought it was fun as fuck.
>>
Yes you only need about 40 poise in your build and you good to go champ
>>
The poise system and iframes in DS2 was pretty good in my opinion, but /v always bitched about it, why is that?
>>
File: poise.jpg (50 KB, 500x680) Image search: [Google]
poise.jpg
50 KB, 500x680
>>
>>339786232
Anything is viable PvE. There is not a single enemy in the game that is as aggressive, calculating and punishing as your average decent PvP player.
>>
>>339786369
Not going to lie, I have shouting "fucking poise!" more than once.
>>
>>339786120
you have never really been able to tank well in souls games. a build like that could work but it would be a bit weak
>>
>>339786314
iframes tied to a stat was retarded by the poise was good and nowhere near DaS1 levels of stupid. I don't know why they didn't just go with that.
>>
I'm going to buy it in about three weeks, I actually won't miss out in the multiplayer like in Dark Souls 1
>>
>>339784006
I think poise only affects the boost poise skill that comes with certain weapons.
>>
Ignore all posts saying they disabled poise. Yes, poise is still in the game, but it isn't your ability to withstand attacks without being staggered anymore. It is your ability to escape attacks after being hit. It is true, though, that it is completely useless.
>>
File: unimpressedlobsterboy.png (188 KB, 492x440) Image search: [Google]
unimpressedlobsterboy.png
188 KB, 492x440
>>339786034
just means you get to wear what you want
>>
>>339787159
NO i want everyone to wear the same exact thing because its the only viable pvp build because of min/maxxing
>>
>>339787105
There is a line called PoiseEnabled, and it is set to 0.
>>
>>339786034
>Whats even worse is that heavy armour gives you hardly any more protection than light rags
Lol
>>
>>339787159
Not really.
You have to blow points on a useless stat (VIT) if you want to wear heavy armor.
>>
>>339786373
This post makes me scared to think how terrifying the NPC invasions are going to be in the DLCs.
I really hope they just don't give them 300x HP and bullshit stats over actually decent AI.

If they choose to do both then it will be even funner.
>>
>>339787468
>useless
Enjoy losing 90% of your health in NG+7 from a single hit while I can tank hits like a champ with my Vit.
>>
>>339787105
There is a boolean variable >>339787430 that is disabled in the game that controls poise. You actually can enable it and it functions like DaS I poise.
>>
>>339787528
>losing 90% of your health in NG+7
well at ng+7 i expect to be one or two shot by stronger mobs and bosses.
>>
>>339787468
>ess
or you can use havel's ring... or prisoner's chain
>>
>>339787528
And you die after the second hit from the stunlock.
So fucking useful.
>>
>>339787510
Well they already did that in Bloodborne. Bloody Crow of Cainhurst, anyone?
>>
>>339787612
Except it doesn't happen if you wear heavy armor. You should try it sometimes.

>>339787639
>this is what lightarmor fags actually believe
>>
This game is praised so much for being so hard but that doesn't mean anything at all. I can play a great game of Monopoly every time if I get to slap the money out of other peoples hands and flick their houses off the board. It'll be extremely hard for the other players. They won't have any fun though.

And that's the problem with this game. It isn't fun. It's annoying. There's no minor details or clues to pay attention to before your player gets killed instantly. It's like an over-done, over-praised Action-RPG attempt at Iwannabetheguy.

But people are just lining up to talk about how they beat the game as if that shows anything other than their skill at google-ing. I'm sorry. I don't want to have to surf the internet every ten minutes to play a game so I can pretend I had fun with it, just to continue this charade of the game being worth anything at all.

Trying so hard to seem un-approachable should only be awarded by actually becoming un-approachable. Yet trendy-gamer after trendy-gamer can't stop hurling their dignity into the repulsive volcano that is this game's design.

God knows I've tried to give it plenty of chances. I wanted to like it. But I refuse to pretend that I like something just for attention. I guess that's what separates most of us from Kotaku.
>>
>>339787621
Havel's Ring I believe scales on Vig.
Either that or it only gives 7.5%.
>>
>>339787528
at NG+7 you should just be getting hit
>>339787159
no it means you're forced to never wear heavy armor without destroying your build
it also means if you want to be truly viable you must wear nothing
>>
File: hail elves.png (287 KB, 986x553) Image search: [Google]
hail elves.png
287 KB, 986x553
>>339787714
The hardness is just a meme they use to get sales, the real fun of the game comes from trying different builds and stuff. I mean yeah, it takes some effort to complete, but there are a myriad of ways to make it piss easy including grindan and summonan.
>>
>>339787701
I wore reasonably heavy armor for my first playthrough.
At one point in time, I was hopelessly stunlocked by rats. No amount of health would have saved me, nor would any amount of armor, because I couldn't move.
>>
>>339784006
Poise literally does nothing

People experimented, found that it's just a number that doesn't affect anything in the game.

complained to bamco, but good luck getting them to do anything.
>>
>>339787714
git gud
>>
>>339787792
But that's not an absorption issue, that's a poise issue. Sure, you can tank more damage, but you still have to make sure you don't get in situations like that. Saves a lot of estus on boss fights.
>>
>>339787701
im not the light armor fag, heavy armor is viable, just requires a lot of VIT depending on what you want.
>>
>>339787714
>IWBTG
Said just like someone who has never played IWBTG. I got killed from full health by one thing in all of Dark Souls III: the Final Boss's combo attack, which has an enormous amount of wind-up.
In IWBTG, everything kills in one hit, even shit that shouldn't kill you.
>>
>>339787914
I'm just so disappointed that poise actually exists as a stat but is disabled.
>>
>>339784006
Given that poise is just straight up turned off and FromSoft are too bullheaded to admit they made such a massive fuckup and fix it, no.
>>
>>339787714
this had better be bait
>>
>>339787714
Bullshit you fucking scrub. What the fuck are you even talking about? Every trap in the game can be avoided. Just about every group of enemies you wouldn't want to take on together can be pulled one-by-one. Git gud.
>>
>>339787714
Except it's not hard. This series has had the consensus on /v/ since the PC port that "Prepare to Die" is just a tagline.

It's a slow, easy aRPG series that manages to be accessible without being braindead, unlike say Arkham Asylum or Assassin's Creed combat.

Something to chill out with. Very few instances of bullshit in the series, and even then it's usually extremely optional (fighting the Ancient Dragon in Dark Souls 2, for example, a boss you're not even meant to fight).

I don't like hard games, and I don't like IWBTG. This is not remotely on that level. Most you could say is that it poorly communicates how to play it, which is a problem with a lot of japanese action games.
>>
>>339787105
no stupidly enough that is to due with your equip load, I have no clue why it just is. People think that because when you put high poise armour on you get really high equip load
>>
File: 2e969s3n.png (1 MB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
2e969s3n.png
1 MB, 900x900
>>339784006
>tfw Bloodborne had more poise than Dark Souls III
>>
>>339788303
It's the same system, both have hyperarmour but no poise.
>>
>>339787714
>people responding seriously to obvious pasta
I shouldn't be disappointed, but I am.
>>
File: 1464910189396.jpg (88 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1464910189396.jpg
88 KB, 900x600
I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time, is knight ok? Does it even matter? I heard armour doesn't even matter too?

I'm so lost, can someone explain the purpose of going human too? Is it just for extra Flasks?
>>
>>339788303
Not entirely true.
Some DS3 weapons have !notpoise as a weapon art.
>>
>>339784006
absolutely not

unsurprisingly, havels armor protects little against attacks relatively. The damage threshold in this game is so high that the difference between the Fallen Knight armor and Havel's armor and every other armor for that matter is little
>>
File: image_4.png (76 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
image_4.png
76 KB, 420x420
>>339787714
>>
>>339788440
Which Dark Souls game?
>>
>>339788286
>>339787562
>>339787430

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5SIx5_WHOI&feature=youtu.be&list=PLYZhYRHkOZobqi_6ozqPZSzUSU9sVoP2f

Poise is in the game, the name does not apply to its function in the previous games.
>>
>>339788440
Class doesn't matter, but you might want to practice going light and dodging through attacks from the getgo. Makes the game much faster, otherwise the game has a bit of a pacing problem.

Going human allows you kindle bonfires to get more flasks, summon other players to play with, and get invaded. That's it.
>>
>>339788540
which is funny because DSIII's poise description doesn't do anything even remotely close to what it says
>>
>>339788515

The first. I'm going through all of them
>>
>>339788540
>you have to actually do frame-by-frame analysis to see the effects of poise
Pretty pathetic
>>
>>339788184
>avoiding traps and pulling enemies 1 at a time is what being gud is
>this is what soulshitters actually believe
>>
>>339788440
>explain the purpose of going human too? Is it just for extra Flasks?
dude what?
>>
>>339788440
Going human improves resistances (I think) and lets you summon people to help you with bosses. Your starting class really doesn't matter unless you want to do magic. But always pick master key as your starting gift. Don't worry either, I restarted at least 5 or 6 times before I beat it because this game is about learning from your mistakes
>>
>>339786120
It'd probably be more worth it to invest in Faith and use Deep Protection or something. VIT is a near useless stat. As long as you can weird all your equipment and stay under 70% you are fine, make sure your wearing SOMETHING, but whether it's rags or Havels doesn't matter all that much.
>>
>>339788584

Yeah i've noticed that i'm very slow. Appreciate the help. Is it inventory that slows me down too or just what i have on
>>
>>339788631
Armor absolutely matters in DaS I as it influences your "Poise" stat, which lets you withstand hits as you attack.
Being human allows you to summon phantoms to help you, but it also allows invaders to invade your world and try to kill you. Being human also allows you to kindle bonfires, allowing you to get more Estus from them.
Knight is a great starting class, and I'd not recommend taking the Master Key to start with, since you might accidentally get lost using it.
>>
>>339788631
In the first Dark Souls game armor actually matters a whole lot. Poise is so retardedly strong that most enemies and bosses can't interrupt you from your attacks or healing or anything.
Your class doesn't really matter too much, it's a matter of what gear you want to start with. The only important thing is that you take the thief's key as your gift since it actually does something useful and lets you get a bunch of treasure/levels early.
>>
>>339788819
What you have equipped (Left Hand 1/2, Right Hand 1/2, armor, rings) determines your "equip load." Inventory does not affect it.
>>
>>339787690
I think he had 99 in every stat and unlimited ammo.

At least NPC's never had blood gems, imagine if Crowsteele had farmed 4 maxed Blood ATK up gems for his Chikage and Pistol.
>>
>>339788775
>Vit is a near useless stat
Hopefully you mean VIG. Right?
I had immense trouble with the game until I got 27 Vit, I will never understand why people have such low health this time around, it's only a benefit.
>>
>>339788942
>>339788732
Master Key is such a bad idea to take in a blind playthrough. You get so lost.
>>
>>339788861
>>339788942

Thanks for that
>>
File: img_1234[1].jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
img_1234[1].jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
>>339784006
Nope.

Reason I stopped playing the game after Abyss Watchers. I'm waiting on a patch.
>>
>>339789030

Vit = Vitality = the actual stat for carry weight and resistance

Vig = Vigor = the actual stat for health
>>
>>339788819
Equip load, what you have on you (apart from items on the belt like the flasks) contribute to your weight. So armour, weapons, shields, rings, etc.

For the best rolls - when you're straight up untouchable for at least half the roll - keep it under 25%. I-frames begin straight from the getgo, no startup. Parrying is worth practicing too - hit it and you'll have about 6 frames for enemies hitting you to get parried, no startup on that either (they changed this for DaS2 and 3 outside of a few exceptions, kinda lame).

Another misc stat tip is that Dex is just a damage scaling stat, it does not make you faster.
>>
>>339784006
Poise is the new Resistance.
>>
>>339788440
Armour matters in DaS1, poise helps a lot. But fast-rolling is still more important. So END is the most important stat in the game.
>>
>>339789292
Why was resistance so useless again? I'm playing through DS1 right now and haven't dropped a single point into it, but mostly because I hadn't even noticed it exists.
>>
>>339789334
Well there's break points, aren't there? If it's under 20 it's worthless, you want it at 40+ and for a fast-roller that means using either the Wolf Ring or Havel's Ring.
>>
>>339786758
why is it retarded? as your adp increases, your roll gets better. DS1 was like fuck it, as long as you roll you are safe, but DS2 tied it to a stat which makes more sense.
>>
>>339789358
Only useful for two areas of the game: Blightown and the Sewers.
Bleed is only an issue in pvp.
>>
>>339789506
>Well there's break points, aren't there?
nope :^)
>>
>>339789358
Because Miyazaki and his team can't balance for shit. They work out ideas, until they're painted into a corner, and have no choice but to trample on some ideas, just to finish the job.

Resistance is useless, because it offers increases to elemental resistances like poison, when poison isn't a real threat.
Resistance SHOULD have given bonus defense points, innate poise bonuses, and a greater resistance to all elements.
>>
>>339789068
Getting lost is the fun part. DS1 feels like you're running around and exploring this fantastic place because you're not just teleporting everywhere like in 2 and 3. Unless you find yourself lost in Tomb of the Giant's murky pitch blackness and the impossible difficult to find ladder leading back out.
>>
>>339788440
If you're going for a super heavy strength build do this:
Get the zweihander from the graveyard behind firelink shrine, you get there by going through that area with water in it. Just run through picking up all the items and don't bother fighting anything there
Level your strength up until you can one hand the zweihander

Then kill havel, this is why you need the master key so you can get to him. When you go in the tower to get to the Taurus Demon (tower with a big ass staircase) open the door on the floor level and go down and kill havel to get his ring. (Might take a while)

After beating the gargoyles a man wearing golden armor will appear in firelink shrine down the staircase towards the New Londo ruins. Kill him easily by kicking him off the edge and eventually a drop will appear where he was, it's his ring which is really helpful (don't worry if the drop doesn't appear instantly, you will always get it)

Keep leveling up, I recommend getting the elite knight armor in dark root
Then when in anor londo just roll through every fireplace until you find the one with a secret room behind it, there you can get Havel's armor (you could also get orenstein's but that is a little more difficult).

Now you have your tank build, keep leveling up your vitality and endurance (I beat the game using this loadout with 40 vitality and endurance and 30 strength, the final bosses were pretty easy) until you can midroll with the full havel set, zweihander, and a shield (grass crest or black knight shield is good).
>>
Does anyone else find it funny how backwards they got stats in these games?
> DaS1 Poise is emmensly powerful
> Equip load comes free with a stat you were going to level anyway. Almost anyone can wear medium armour and fast roll because you need stamina anyway.
> DaS3, no poise
> Equip load is its own stat, need lots of points to wear heavy armour that functions no where near as effectively as it used to.

Balance in both games would be improved if DaS1 had a equip load stat, and 3 had it tied to END.

>>339789030
You got it mixed up, in DaS3 Vigour is health, Vitality is equip load.
>>
>>339789358
Have you noticed that your defenses slightly increase after every level up? Well, levelling resistance basically does that twice, as well as giving some poison resistance.

The problem is, the defense increase was marginal. You would end up with maybe 10 more physical defense if you got RES to 20.

This is compounded by the fact that there are diminishing returns on defense increases, regardless of RES. So, for a level 100 character, those points in RES barely accounted for any difference compared to a normal SL100 character.
>>
>>339789592
>more sense
I want to hear why tying it to an arbitrary stat that just magically gives you i-frames makes more sense than the i-frames and usefulness being decided by the speed of the roll?

Least Dark Souls 2 had that delicious 70% fastroll point so you could wear whatever the fuck you wanted.
>>
>>339789715
DaS3 kinda just reused DaS2's stat system with ADP.
>>
>>339789506
Here's a handy build guide for fast rolling, poise and damage all while staying at a reasonable level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4
>>
>>339789012
No sorry that isn't true, he has waaaay more HP than is possible even with max stats, like several times more

And his gun does way more dmg as well, he hits you with more force than an ashed shot from a max stat player-character
>>
>>339784006
i wish poise would be damage reduction while hyper armor is active or that it would improve hyper armor in some other way
that would naturally pair heavy armor with heavy weapons and boost heavy weapons
right now heavy weapons only work againts retards who blindly rushes into their blade
>>
>>339789706
>super heavy strength build
>zwei
at least tell him to use the demon great machete or great club for REAL str
>>
>>339790230
And unlimited ammo means unlimited Quickening!

Ah well. Easiest way to handle him is to wait till post-DLC and hit him with a 500-600 AR weapon, he eats shit and can only heal once. Gatling hunter's infinite ammo is something more of an annoyance.
>>
File: 1463153457278.jpg (369 KB, 1200x1062) Image search: [Google]
1463153457278.jpg
369 KB, 1200x1062
>>339788440
humanity comes hard and soft. hard is when you ARE human, soft is when you have >0 humanities in the counter.
soft humanity raises your Item Discovery and your Physical Defence by a small but noticeable amount. your Defence gain scales negatively with your level.
hard humanity allows you to be invaded by dark spirits (human and AI, where AI ones can drop you cool shit if you beat them), and also allows you to summon human and AI players.
humanity gives you no extra estus charges. kindling a bonfire with a soft humanity while human will give that bonfire 5 extra estus charges when you squat at it, though. firelink shrine is kindled 1x by default. to kindle again, beat Pinwheel.

armour is generally good in DS1 but even with a near impossible amount of armour you'll still take damage from basic goons. just don't fatroll, and if you do, don't roll and use a shield instead.
>>
>>339790449
Zweihander is just fastest and easiest to get. He could also go for fire great sythe
>>
>>339790464
>you'll still take damage from basic goons
Like 10 damage though lmao.

Only problem with ultra heavy builds are that your only counter to magic users is Havel's Shield or GMB, which either pushes your load to an absurd level or requires levelling a stat for one spell.
>>
>>339784006
Are you sure? Because i was hit before my swing connected and i still did it. Perhaps poise is to stop you from being interrupted 60 or 70% through your swing animation.
>>
>>339790745
That's hyper armor.
No relation.
>>
>>339790720
And really it's only GMB.
Havel's Shield can be countered by dead-angling WotG
>>
>>339791997
Everything can be countered by dead angling WotG, that's not saying much.
>>
I'm playing 2 as a Knight right now, is END useful? To me it seems like a waste of points after a certain level, I have 21-22 END right now I think I played like 10 hours ago and already forgot.
>>
>>339792597
Not GMB or Vow of Silence if they can get channeled.
>>
>>339794572
END is incredibly useful, as it affects carry load (which determines what roll you use) and how much damage you can block (from a single strike or total) via stamina. You're pretty far away from the softcap on END, though there are diminishing returns.
>>
>>339794572
>>339795054
Disregard, thought you were playing 1.
>>
>>339795054
>>339795187
I have 65kg equip load right now + I wear that Royal Soldier's Ring if I need heavy armor for looks. But mostly I go with light armor and stay under 50% if possible.
>>
File: 1464578421470.png (402 KB, 848x551) Image search: [Google]
1464578421470.png
402 KB, 848x551
>bought dark souls 3 and waited for a friend to buy it
>buys it a month later
>we start cooping
>Loses interest in an hour
>my desire to play the game shattered
>>
>>339788440
depraved no gift
>>
>>339795375
If you're going with light armor and don't feel that you need more stamina or a shield, you should be fine. If rolls are your concern, you're better off investing in ADP.
>>
>>339796026
>really really passionate about a game
>buy it for my friend with the prayer that he'll even play it with me a few times
>he doesn't once
>>
>>339797250
>>339796026
This is why having no friends is the best.
Thread replies: 114
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.