[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
True CRPGs on the horizon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
>It is not optimism that leads me to be certain that true CRPGs are just beyond the horizon; it is my sense of realism and my belief in the inevitability of progress. At the moment, things look hopeless. Westerners are stuck on their numbers fetishism; the Japanese on their anime wankfests; and the MMO crowd on their pointless, absurd powerlevelling and hoarding of useless trinkets. Gamers know nothing and game journalists even less, while developers are either old dudes who have simply succumbed to market realities, or young ones who grew up on dungeon crawlers and know no better. Who will educate all these people? Who will remind them of how all this shebang got started in the first place and where it is supposed to be heading? It would be easy to be a pessimisist under these circumstances, and yet I am certain that the games people like me are dreaming of are on their way. The coming CRPG will be born somewhere at the conflux of adventure game and interactive movie, operating on a rigorous yet invisible framework of rules and guiderails. What themes would lend themselves better to open-ended, non-linear plots filled with tension, dramatic moments and meaningful decisions? What advanced scripting techniques will be invented to facilitate that level of interactivity? How could a limited multiplayer component be carefully set up to spontaneously deliver many of those moments? Now these are the interesting questions.

So /v/, when do you think these true CRPGs will finally emerge? With VR? What are you hoping for?
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 251x201
bump
>>
>>339764176
But is being niche enough to really get the kind of experience we want? Some cool stuff is coming from Kickstarter, sure, but I feel like if they don't result in bigger projects, it's not going to be worth much overall.
>>
who are you quoting
>>
I want modernised versions of old crpg style games like Fo:NV.

Isometric stuff was pretty great, but there's enough of them.
>>
>>339764495
http://insomnia.ac/commentary/on_role-playing_games/
>>
File: video game enthusiast.png (160 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
video game enthusiast.png
160 KB, 360x240
>>339764582
The answer is fallout 4
>>
>>339764768
FUCK OFF TODD, IT WAS SHIT.
>>
>>339764415
Copper Dreams looks promising. InSomnia has some chances to be actually good.

And Stygian is in begging money right now, has some personality at least.
>>
>>339765631
Those are some cool fucking games. Gonna back both of them.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.