[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm scared. I'm not even joking, I can't get into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7
File: 2015-09-19_00002.jpg (252 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-19_00002.jpg
252 KB, 1920x1080
I'm scared. I'm not even joking, I can't get into horror genre. The only horror game I remember myself completing was ''The thing''. I felt so proud at that time. Even simple zombie games scare me.
I got to wine cellars and I can't fucking continue. I even used wiki and it pointed out that there was only one illusion in this room and no actual enemies. I simply can't continue.

How do I into horror genre? There are actually good games that I would like to play myself, but instead I can just watch them being played by youtubers.
>>
There are different subsets to the horror genre. Amnesia is mainly mediocre jump scare.

Try some Fatal Frames for the PS2, they are a solid psychological horror intermixed with a few jump scares.
>>
Depend. I have no problem playing horror games as long as they are not Jump scares based.

Have you tried something like Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil or Silent Hill? Something not in First person but more in Third person like Deadrising?
>>
File: 1401085463938.jpg (216 KB, 958x686) Image search: [Google]
1401085463938.jpg
216 KB, 958x686
maybe stop being a pussy
>>
I don't know why you would want to get into it
I don't see the point of playing a game with the sole purpose of spooping you so I just stay clear
>>
Horror isn't a game genre its an aesthetic choice.
>>
>>339729891
its fun
>>
>>339729795
Not really. I've played Resident Evil 5, but it doesn't count. It's just a third person shooter. Of course I was scared at times, but I can bear zombies.
>>
I don't see how you can be anything to the left of 3
>>
>>339729961
Except it provably isn't. The adrenaline just heightens your feelings afterwards so whatever you experience after you stop playing/the movie is over is amplified.
>>
File: Janitors on v.webm (1 MB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
Janitors on v.webm
1 MB, 720x405
>>339729898
Not really. It's a sub genre. Action and Action horror is not the same thing.

>>339730003
You should try something like Eternal Darkness on Gamecube or Bioshock or Minecraft

Something where the horror is not extreme but still there.
>>
>>339730280
Well yeah, that's why Rollercoasters are fun. You cant really say "It's not really fun, it's just something you experience while doing them"
>>
>>339729808
>tfw terrified

Feels good.

Try Playing Dead Space 1 or 2 muted.
I know sound is huge on impacting horror, but the visual atmosphere alone is enough to mess with you. Testament to the level design.
>>
>>339730482
No, it's what you experience _after_ the game you dumb shit
>>
>>339730568
During and after. The endorphin you feel when you get to a safe place is what make the adrenaline even more potent and make your experience worth it.
>>
>>339729808
what's between 4 and 5, I've never ran out of the fucking room but I do hide behind pause screens
>>
File: 1360447058453.jpg (31 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1360447058453.jpg
31 KB, 500x375
>>339729508

Don't worry onii-chan, I'll protect you~
>>
>>339730280
nah man, its fun.
Survival horror games are my favorite genre because of the strategy you have to use to stay alive like conserving ammo/medical supplies, and because truly good Horror games always have the best enemy, location, and sound designs.
>>
>>339731028
this anon gets it
>>
>>339730389
> playing Minecraft
> ooh a cave, should explore
> hear something
> run as fast as i can
> run out of light sources
> something comes closer
> die
It was terrifying. Anyway, I have completed all 3 bioshocks. 1st was the hardest for me, but eventually I got it. I feel better when there's a weapon that I can use unlike in Amnesia or Outlast.
I will probably use this advice >>339730548 since Dead Space looks good and I've heard it's quite scary.
>>
>>339729508
What's the difference between watching someone play the game and you playing it?

Is it the sense that someone else is there with you because they're onscreen or talking? Would it make a difference if you watched the game being played without commentary?

Is it that it's something you passively watch instead of actively engage in?
>>
>>339732579
The sound design is incredible, mind you, but there's something just really fucking creepy about having no sound. Especially in the church sections in the 2nd one.

You also miss out on a lot of auditory cues though so the spoopy factor goes up somewhat since it really cuts your awareness by a ton.
>>
>>339732752
Probably because there's someone with me. I have never tried watching gameplays without commentary or facecam. But I think I haven't done that exactly for the reason that I would be alone.
>>
>>339732579
Minecraft is a cool semi horror survivor when you start. It's pretty nice.
>>
File: 1338648589486.jpg (16 KB, 292x312) Image search: [Google]
1338648589486.jpg
16 KB, 292x312
>decide to play half life 2 to see what all the fuss is about
>creepy atmosphere throughout early levels
>feel tense
>get to ravenholm
>nope the fuck out
>never go back to it
>>
>>339732918
Half Life 1 and 2 are great "horror" game A lot of tense moments.
>>
>>339732893
You can talk with somebody while playing a game.
>>
>>339730548
DS1 or DS2 are not scary games

That being said I couldnt play Amnesia and im terrified to try Alien Isolation
>>
>>339732918
Those fucking fast crawling headcrabs. But even OP got through that.
>>
>>339729808
I'm jaded, but I don't want to be jaded.
How do I not be jaded?
>>
>>339729508
I'm in the same boat, anon. I started playing Alien Isolation because I'm a big fan of the movies and ended up paralyzed with fear and unable to continue at a certain point.
>>
File: Ghost Butt.png (16 KB, 191x200) Image search: [Google]
Ghost Butt.png
16 KB, 191x200
So why is Slenderman the least scary game in existance
>>
>>339733084
I've tried it. Doesn't work. I talked through Skype, maybe if there was actually another person besides me. Tfw no friends.
>>
>>339729508
maybe you should stop being a fucking pussy
>>
>>339732918
Literally me at 13
Went back to it two years later and Ravenholm wasn't scary at all, but damn if they didn't build up to it well.
>>
>>339732893
If that's the case, then you've identified one of the problems you face, so you can start taking steps to improve things.

Try watching gameplay without commentary of a horror game that you've already seen before, but with commentary. If that's not scary, then move to a game that you haven't seen before. You can read up on the plot beforehand if you're concerned. See how well you do with that, then try playing a game that you've seen the gameplay for before and see how that goes.

If being with someone is a concern, invite a friend over. One easy way to make things not scary is to joke about it. If that's not an option, maybe some sort of distraction might help. Have you tried playing a game at the same time you're watching a Let's Play of it? Maybe just having another video playing at the same time would be enough of a distraction.

Sad truth is that you don't get better at things without doing them, and you don't stop being scared without facing your fears. But the good news is that if you break things down, you can take the baby steps necessary to get to where you want to go.
>>
Am I the only one that thought Bloodborne's bosses were pretty scary? Seriously, a lot of them freaked me out and made the fights even more tense. Especially the vocal ones that scream and shit. Fuck.
>>
>>339733102
Turn the sound off.

Alien nails the atmosphere.
>that sequence at he beginning when waiting for the elevator with the steam and the lights and alarms.
wew
>>
>>339729508
This game is just shit though, there's no reason to play it. It's a walking simulator with jump scares.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.