[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious Sam 4 Hype thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
Since SS4 is pretty much confirmed for being shown at E3 this year, what are your hopes and worries about it?

Anything you'd like to see brought back from Serious Sam 2 or 3 BFE ?
>>
Drop the damn ironsights they added in 3.
>>
Anything but more Egypt.
>>
>>339720389
considering that SS3 was already better than Doom 3 and 4, not to mention DNF and SW2013, I have faith in Croteam.

Plus, Talos Principle was born from the team's attempt to create more interesting maps and puzzles besides "look a key to a door", so we can expect some fascinating worlds too.

>>339720470
literally an non-issue that people highlight too much.
>>
>>339720470
This

Also:
-Get rid of all the fucking dust. Unless Mental made his hordes out of vacuum cleaners there is no reason for that much dust to be in a Serious Sam game
-No fucking reloading except for the pistol
-Bring back the sniper, laser and flamethrower
-Bring back the Serious Bomb
-For the love of God don't put any more shitty enemies in there. The cloned soldiers, space monkeys, octocopter and witch bride were fucking abysmal. Khnum and Scrapjack were okay, you can keep those

>>339720587
Ey buddy I like Egypt.
I like it more than Persia at least
>>
I just realised the melee finishers from BFE were kinda like the ones from Brutal Doom. Felt kinda unfitting to be honest Sam is a pretty chill guy I hope SS4 won't have them because fucktards will compare it to new Doom.
>>
>hopes
god tier soundtrack like TFE/TSE
weapons feeling great
more monsters
better level design
>worries
reloading from 3
lasergun being shit
sniper being useless
level variety consisting of brown and grey cities and sand deserts
>>
>>339720698
Laser and sniper rifle were in SS3 but as secrets.
>>
>>339720389
No ironsights
No reloading
Make the levels bright and colorful
Make the first few levels not shit
Use Croatian techno magic to make the game play great on my 780ti.
>>
>>339720470
>Drop the damn ironsights they added in 3.
Those did absolutely nothing to harm the game. People throw tantrums about that because they made an arbitrary connections iron sights = bad! instead of actually considering their real, pragmatic impact on the game design.

It's fucking pathetic seeing people still moaning about that, while an actual, relevant, TERRIBLE decisions like some truly staggering shit enemy design (Witch) has been far more devastating on the game.

>>339720587
Pretty much confirmed the game is going to take place in A) more varied environments and B) "in two European countries the series has not visited yet".
Though confusingly enough, a highly pixelated picture supposedly showing one of the two places was clearly the St. Peter's square from Rome, which an spin-off SS game had visited. Or perheps they refered to Vatican?
>>
>>339720698
I remember in a game doc they said they learned alot from BFE. When I say they learned alot they dropped the gameplay and only picked up the aesthetic. They are making their environments "more real" by using photo scanning technology.
>>
>>339720820
>god tier soundtrack like TFE/TSE
I'm confident it will be good, the music in BFE was pretty good. I hope they get Undercode back
>weapons feeling great
They felt great in 3 so I'm confident in that
>more monsters
Yes, bring back the Zorgs and Zumb'ul. Keep the Khnum and Scrapjack
>>
>>339720995
I hope one of said countries involves ancient Greece. Is SS4 about time travel like the first ones?
>>
>>339720698
>-No fucking reloading except for the pistol
I disagree. Reloading added a small but welcome layer of strategic thinking to the combat, as you had to think which tools to use and when.

>Bring back the sniper, laser and flamethrower
were already in SS3. And in much bigger role in the DLC.

>the complains about enemies
I disagree. Variety is never a bad thing.
>>
>>339720995
I think my problem with the iron sights was that the M29 was such a lame replacement for the Tommy gun or even the dual uzis.
>>
>>339721419
the AR was much more satisfying to use, and fixed the problem of Tommy becoming totally obsolete once you got Minigun.
>>
>>339721395
>I disagree. Reloading added a small but welcome layer of strategic thinking to the combat, as you had to think which tools to use and when.
Serious Sam already had a lot of strategic thinking in it, the reloading makes the whole thing less fun because I have to backpeddal and hide every time I want to reload because the fucking assault rifle only has 40 bullets in the magazine.

>were already in SS3. And in much bigger role in the DLC.
The flamethrower wasn't.
They shouldn't have hid them in the first place.
Also the sniper was kind of useless which doesn't make sense since it's already hard to get

>I disagree. Variety is never a bad thing.
I said no more SHIT enemies.
Are you seriously telling me you enjoyed fighting the cloned soldiers, space monkeys, technopolip or even the witch bride?
>>
hopes:
-a lot more vertical gameplay
-Tom Jubert delivering some quality corny writing
-a lot better animations

worries:
-too much reliance on photogrammetry and photo textures, resulting in a lack of original and creative stuff
-large reuse of Serious Sam 3 and Talos Principle assets
-still no appearance Mental
>>
>>339721809
>still no appearance Mental
They're probably not going to reveal him until the last game in the series.
>>
>>339721395
But the witch tottaly destroyed the flow.
>>
>>339721419
>was such a lame replacement for the Tommy gun or even the dual uzis.
Yeah. Because a more specialized weapon with more intricate use pattern is a terrible substitution for for what is literally the weaker of the two "push down button and keep it down until everything is dead".
Fuck you guys. The assault rifle was changed in this way to make it more distinct and give it more special use differenciated from the chain gun. Uzies and Tommy gun were the least satisfying and interesting weapons in the bloody game, and immediately felt completely redundant the second you got the chain.

You people don't have the faintest fucking clue about the actual design, you just scream bloody murder at things that you associated as bad in completely different titles for completely different reasons.
>>
>>339720389
My hopes are we'll get Talos Principle 2 first.
>>
>>339722018
>make AR different from minigun
Good
>make it lamer in every single way
Bad

Literally who the fuck would want to use a shitty assault rifle which you need to aim and reload, when you could have a badass minigun with pinpoint accuracy and also looks and sounds way cooler.
>>
>>339722558
>minigun
>pinpoint accuracy
>>
>>339722558
What it isn't?
It's been a while since I played 3, but it was that way in TFE/TSE
>>
>>339722796
Meant for
>>339722726
>>
>>339721804
Space monkeys are surprisingly fun to fight in outside areas.
It's inside the ruins when you can't see shit and your speed is reduced by like 1/4th that they become annoying to fight.
>>
>>339724032
No anon, not only are they terrible and slow you down if you choose to fight, you can also just run past them
>>
I'd like to see them end the series. 3 was complete shit.

>Full of "cinematic" shit, that only disturbs the flow of the gameplay.
>guns suck, unless you upgrade
>barely can hold any ammo, unless you level-up
>Checkpoints.
>maps are linear pipes connecting obligatory combat arenas you get locked into.
>platforming sections.
>you get around half-a dozen enemies on screen at once, at best.
>every enemy is a literal loot Pinata, totally eliminating the point of exploring for supplies.
>rune challenges are just annoying filler.
>everything glows.
>some fucking robo guy literally handholds you through the game, via radio.
>the only good difficulties are locked until you beat the game
>no mods, and the Snapmap is literally just all about connecting handful of pre-made rooms together, with strict enemy limit.
>only 4 players max in Snapmaps.
>MP is Gaylo-tier shit.
>Spider is the last boss, and is not hitscan anymore either.
>bosses have HP bars
>ending was literally a slap to face + "lol, look forward to teh sequel, goy!"
>>
File: 1456708695046[1].jpg (34 KB, 299x288) Image search: [Google]
1456708695046[1].jpg
34 KB, 299x288
>>339724896
>>
File: 1463904008180.png (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
1463904008180.png
1 B, 486x500
>>339724896
Too obvious with the second line
>>
i hope better animations.
>>
>>339725148
He's not wrong.
>>
>>339725646
He is. SS2 was the worst in the series SS3 was only second worst.
>>
>>339724896
This sounds like shitty bait for a doom thread, not SS3.
>>
File: dem kamikazes.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
dem kamikazes.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>339721978
>But the witch tottaly destroyed the flow.
it didn't. Reloading (which was only present on 3 guns besides the basic pistol) provided an element of accepted limitations. AR is fast and good for both sniping things from the distance, and to spray closing in fodder and Kamikazes, without having to waste valuable Minigun ammo. The Devastator would be very OP without the short reload breaks.
Most people do however ditch the pump-action almost completely once the double-barrel is introduced, not only for its damage but also for the "continuous" firing rate, no matter how slow it is.

>>339722558
You don't need to aim it at all, and the gun has surprisingly high damage out put, further enhanced by its great accuracy.

>>339722796
>>339722867
AR has notably higher accuracy. Minigun is literally for spraying enemy mobs or big-hitters. It compensates it lower accuracy with the wall of lead it puts down on the line.

>>339725857
>SS3 was only second worst.
Nah. TSE => BFE > TFE > > > SS2

>>339725978
he literally copied it from the D44M thread.
All that applies 1:1 to D44M, but not at all to SS3.
>>
>>339720389
FUCK DESERTS
FUCK EGYPT

I AM SO FUCKING TIRED OF IT
>>
>Tfw loved SS3 but hate how people shit on D44M for doing the same shit SS3 did and praised SS3 for doing
>>
>>339722558
>Literally who the fuck would want to use a shitty assault rifle which you need to aim and reload,
Every player skilled enough to compensate for those disadvantages. You don't use minigun to snipe out low-health nuisances on mid-to-long range. It's like you haven't actually played the fucking game - the assault rifle remains a highly useful weapon through out almost the entire god-damn game.
And remove the drawbacks of the weapon and it becomes extremely dull with absolutely no skill required to use.
>>
>>339726134
>BFE > TFE

Damn son
>>
>>339720698
>-Get rid of all the fucking dust. Unless Mental made his hordes out of vacuum cleaners there is no reason for that much dust to be in a Serious Sam game
you're in the fucking desert and you're complaining about dust

dust is a cool mechanic because it means that you have to weigh the option of firing wildly(dealing more damage) against being conservative with your fire(kicking up less dust), while simultaneously increasing the chaos and pressure put onto the player

same thing with reloading, when reloading you are not killing enemies charging against you, letting the threat build up like in a closed pressure cooker
>>
>>339727159
Serious Sam The First Encounter
>shoot kamikazes
>they explode
>see the other kamikazes

Serious Sam 3 BFE
>shoot kamikazes
>they explode
>can't see shit from all the smoke
>>
>>339727483
Again, introduces the aspect of visibility as another element to consider in your fucking gameplay. Why is everyone complaining about the game having more things for player to consider?! Is this the same fucking forum that complains that CoD is too shallow of a game?
>>
>>339727483
yes you understand that is the point
you are now
>forced to keep in mind the position of the other kamikazes
>forced to engage enemies in a closer and more dangerous situation
Is the game too hard for you? It's not like the dust cloud means you can't kill any of the other enemies, the game even is extra nice to you and illuminates your crosshair if you hover it over them, even through the dust.
>>
>>339727851
It's not hard it's just really annoying.

I love TFE and TSE, I recently finished both of them back to back and going into this is just so jarring and I don't get why they went backwards with a formula that worked so well before.

Here there are so many moments where my vision is being obscured by something
>hammering a gnaar covers you whole fucking screen in blood (the Chainsaw was way less obtrusive)
>cloned soldiers constantly make your screen red and blurry
>smoke fucking everywhere
>witch brides and their TK grab

It's just making me want to go back and play TSE again.
I don't understand how people who love the first two games put up with this.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.