[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was really excited to play this game, but I fucking hate the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (56 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
56 KB, 460x215
I was really excited to play this game, but I fucking hate the parry controls. Pushing in on the control stick while pressing square is an awful control input, and it's giving me inconsistent feedback. Seriously, I feel like fucking DSP. I know most of the problem is that I'm playing badly, but is there anyway I can fix this shitty control scheme?
>>
>>339666727
>is there anyway I can fix this shitty control scheme?
It's called getting good you mentally retarded faggot
>>
I had problems with it too, OP. What I did was ignore the parry completely and completed the game as if this mechanic didn't exist
>>
>>339666935
I can try to get better using the bad controls, but I would prefer being able to use an alternate control scheme that isn't garbage if possible, that's all
>>
>>339667065
this
>>
>>339667065
I'm fighting the chainsaw dog and it feels like a nessecary mechanic. I guess I'll try just ignoring it
>>
>>339666727
>Believing /v/ and their memes

Game sucks, most of Platinum's CUUHHRRRAYYZEE action games suck. They do their best work when they experiment outside of the genre.

Go play a better hack-n-slash like Ninja Gaiden Black or something.
>>
You'll get used to it.

It's easier than the dodge move, holy shit that's tedious.
>>
>>339667065
Good luck with monsoon
>>
>>339667286
I just finished Tales of Graces so my muscle memory is all fucked too, that might be part of my problem. Regardless, this game is supposed to be super short and I like Raiden and MGS so I have to finish it
>>
File: hADdHeF.jpg (413 KB, 1681x865) Image search: [Google]
hADdHeF.jpg
413 KB, 1681x865
>>339667286
>Go play a better hack-n-slash like Ninja Gaiden Black or something.
Nice b8 faggot
>>
>>339667173
You'll have to learn it sooner or later, anon. Keep at it, it's not that hard once you get used to it.
>>
>>339667498
NGB is great though, stop being a hipster faggot.
>>
Just listen to the games soundtrack, that's where 90% of the enjoyment comes from
>>
>>339667065
>>339667173
Maybe the problem is you don't know how to parry.

You push the stick in the direction of the enemy in order to activate a parry stance So if the chainsaw dog his spinny horizontal attack, parry towards his body and not to the side. Also, parries have an extremely forgiving window, you can parry an entire second before an attack connects and you'll still block it.
>>
>>339666727
Just don't play this bad game. Save yourself the 4 hours and do something productive.
>>
>Pushing in on the control stick while pressing square is an awful control input, and it's giving me inconsistent feedback
Never had that problem. Probably because my xbox controller I use on my PC was made for actual human hands.
>>
Would you rather enemies attack one at a time with colorful indicators and just have to press triangle to win? That seems more up your alley.
>>
>>339667498
Nice taste, faggot.
>>
>>339666727
>he fell for the kayameme
Platinum babies will say anything he makes is good. MGR is painfully average.
>>
>>339667768
I mean, so far I've done a fuckton of QuickTime events, most scenarios have been playing themselves. It's been all style not substance so far. I don't understand what you're trying to imply here
>>
>>339667485
As I said, already beat the game. monsoon wasn't hard. The only time I had some trouble with this game was in the sewers agains those big ass robots since I refused to go stealth mode
>>
>>339666727
You don't push in on the control stick homie, it's forward and square.

Like, literally direction towards your opponent and the attack button at the same time.
>>
> pressing a button while moving toward an enemy is too confusing for people

This shit is so weird. Is this the first time these people have played a video game? This is just about the simplest thing possible.
>>
>>339666727
Just use offensive defencive. Its more broken than rolling in darksouls.
>>
>>339668042
When I don't click the stick in Raiden just walks in the direction while light attacking, sometimes he'll dash in the direction. It seems to only work for me when I physically click in
>>
>>339667674
I know how the imputs work for the parry. I just could get myself to use them. My reactions aways made me just dodge and counter and it worked just fine the whole game. I was having more trouble forcing myself to try and parry than just dodgin shit
>>
literally just play with auto parry who cares what autists on a chinese cartoon imageboard think of you for doing so
>>
>>339667826
I really enjoyed it but I only have a pc so thats the only game like it I can play. I eish there were more of that genre.
>>
>>339668190
You're mistaken. That doesn't do anything.
>>
>control stick
There's your problem right there.
Use a keyboard.
>>
>>339668391
Well thanks for the tip, I'm about to try again just tilting
>>
>>339666727
>Flick the analogue stick upwards and hit the x button
>Spam this repeatedly while an enemy is about to attack
It really isn't that hard, if anything I thought parrying made the game too easy at times.
The only problem with MGS Rising's controls is that the game does a shit job of explaining them, leaving the player to figure out a lot of things that they should have been told on their own. But in all seriousness, parrying is just spamming two inputs when you see a red square on the screen.
>>
>>339668270
>auto parry
This exists? Parrying isn't all that hard anyway. >>339668478
This pretty much
>>
>>339668270
>
>>339668542
You auto-parry on Easy Mode
>>
>buy game
>first play on Normal
>get to Monsoon
>master the parry
Done, it's not that deep, I actually like that the parry has a very chunky feel to it. It feels even better now that my dualshock3 thumbstick has become loose and swirls as I move it
>>
>>339668473

It's just a quick tilt forward and x

If you're playing with a shitty analog it might not be registering it properly. I had problems parrying with both a dualshock 3 and a logitech controller.
>>
>>339667681
>>339667286
Faggots
>>339668708
Oh, I've never even touched easy mode.
>>
>>339668808
So tilting works, but again it's just being inconsistent. Not having to press in is already a big help though, thanks
>>
File: mgrr.jpg (46 KB, 264x518) Image search: [Google]
mgrr.jpg
46 KB, 264x518
>>339667826
Who the fuck is "kayameme"? Did you mean Kamiya?
>>
>>339667286
>NGB
>IZUNA DROP
>IZUNA DROP
>IZUNA DROP
>>
>>339666727
I had the same problem when starting but I got used it. Most people expect a single button block move but considering it doesn't exist you just need to adapt. It's not as hard as you think once you get a hang of it.
>>
>>339667065
I think it's a fun and satisfying mechanic to pull off. Not sure why people have trouble with executing the controls but it's worth learning.
>>
>>339666727
Doesn't Sam have a block button?
>>
>>339669265
>implying Izuna Drop isn't the best thing ever conceived.
>>
>>339669603
NGB is really fun, I agree, but it becomes to essential to the combat in harder difficulties
>>
>>339667065
I didn't even know there was a parry system until after i beat the game
>>
>>339668808
>>339669337
>>339669467
Ok something just clicked and I'm doing it pretty well now. Was doing great until he called the walker, which gave me some trouble. Then I got the dog to 12% before I lost my spaghetti and the camera freaked out along with some bad inputs. I think I've got it this time though
>>
Damn this takes me back to the pc release

Funny how much more complaining about difficulty arises whenever a multiplat is finally ported to pc
>>
> last year
> buy for $5
> x360 controller to PC
> controls are wonky, parry specifically is a bit fuckety to use.
> got to some mini boss guy in a sewer.
> lose interest
> stop playing

Meh. Doubt I'll ever touch it again. Wasn't a very interesting game.
>>
File: 1458582509665.jpg (75 KB, 800x744) Image search: [Google]
1458582509665.jpg
75 KB, 800x744
>>339669934
Get your console war bullshit outta here
>>
>>339669934
It just goes to show how spoonfed people have gotten to videogames. THeres literally a tutorial explaining both the parry and the perfect parry
>>339669821
There's a lock on button, retard
>>
>>339670106
>lock on button
I played through whole game without knowing this.
>>
>>339666727
You seem to not understand the controls. You don't push the stick in, you let go of the stick and then move it in the direction of the blow from raiden relative to the camera (not relative to the way he is facing) for each blow.
>>
>>339670073
Fine, I'll say something helpful

Make sure your stick is in the neutral position before you try to parry or it won't work. Once you figure this out parrying becomes child's play
>>
>>339666727
Yeah MGR has shit controls
>>
>>339670106
I've done the tutorials, they weren't very good. And a lock on button would be super helpful, the camera has been giving me trouble. Hell, I just learned I could heal with the recovery items this fight. About to take on the walker again
>>
>>339666727
>It's so hard to parry
Sure if you're incapable of pushing forward and pressing attack.
I just spammed the parry command on Samuel and managed to get the no damage achievement. Whenever he was attacking I'd automatically parry it, whenever he wasn't it'd just normally attack.
>>
>>339667065
>>339667135
>>339667173
>>339668473
>>339668478
parrying is very easy
press the stick in the direction your enemy is in while tapping square, not a slow press, actually quick press
its a fun mechanic that for whatever fucking reason people cant seem to grasp
>>
>>339666727
I had problems with this shit too.
It's not that hard once you understand it fully.
You gotta flick the control stick in the direction of the enemy and simultaneously press X/Square as soon as it's about to hit you.
Are you just flicking the control stick up? Because if so that's what you're doing wrong.
Don't feel ashamed, I had problems with the parry at first and I'm sure a lot of others did to.
>>
File: image.jpg (846 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
846 KB, 3264x2448
We did it boys

But seriously what's the lock on button
>>
>>339670873
RT or R2, I think.
If not try the analog buttons
>>
>>339669934
>Funny how much more complaining about difficulty arises whenever a multiplat is finally ported to pc

Yeah. Like Dark Souls
>>
MGR is actually quite easy because the parry and dodge windows are lenient as fuck, people just get confused because they're irregular controls (at least compared to DMC or Ninja Gaiden) and they don't understand them at first.

Parry:
>quickly flick the analog stick towards the direction of the enemy attack + light attack button at the same time
You can seriously just try spamming them (at the same time) and you'll be completely invincible save for unblockable attacks denoted by a golden glow. If you've played Souls games think of how you perform a kick.

Dodge:
>have to buy it in skill selection before being able to use
>jump + light attack + any direction with the analog stick
which also gives invincibility frames

>>339669934
>>339671226
Retards complaining about MGR controls happened long before the PC release, just look up any negative review of the console version.
>>
Are u fooking srs m8? The parry is pretty easy to do. Are you pressing forward so hard that you're accidentally clicking in the stick all the time or something?
>>
>>339671537
>Retards complaining about MGR controls happened long before the PC release, just look up any negative review of the console version.

my post did not mention MGR. It mentioned Dark Souls
>>
Great game, but it'd be better if the parry window was smaller and was set to a button instead.
>>
>>339666727
>pushing in on the control stick
There's your problem. That's NOT how you parry. You push forward and square the parry
>>
>>339666727
a huge problem i personally had with it is that the opening where you press parry input is GRAND CANYON XBOX HUEG.

I was trying to postpone parry input to be as close to actual hit but kept whiffing.

And the retarded secret to it is -- you don't have to time it at all!

If you randomly stumble into parry input 2-3 seconds before the attack comes main character goes into blocking stance. The is your cue that you executed it right -- if you see him going into that stance -- just don't press anything and wait for an eternity until hit actually comes.

Another retarded "secret" that i was counter intuitive to me is that parry is easily mashable. You keep repeatedly tilting the stick into enemy's general direction and keep pushing X button (no need to even bother trying to time so that stick tilting and button pushing coincides in the same second -- it will work regardless of rhythm)

Magnetic boss is in fact entirely works with this mechanic in mind -- you HAVE to mash that shit when he he goes at you.

There IS a second, much tighter window for perfect parry -- but it is wonky and no way you will get perfect parries in the beginning -- and perfect parries don't even do anything on majority of enemies because they jump out right as you parry and perfect parry slice whiffs. Like magnetic boss does that and perfect parry is entirely useless on him.

MGR is a good game but the lack of time led to a lot of bad design decisions that ruin the combat on higher difficulties if you go for s-rank and stuff.
>>
OP here, just beat Mistral with no problems. I think the controls can still be kinda janky, and I do t think the game did a great job teaching the player, but now that I have the hang of it it's a lot of fun. I don't know why that guy implied this game isn't full of qtes though
>>
>>339670106
I didn't know about the lock-on button till I fought Moonson. Mistral was easy even without it, but Wolf kicked my ass harder than an abusive father.
>>
>>339670106
lock-on is fucking godawful in this game

it is actually counter productive

the worst thing is that lock-on is actually active ALL THE TIME and automatically sticks to some random unimportant enemy like small tripod and goes out of the way to show it to you instead of you know BIG SOLDIER that shoots rockets at you

Camera and lock-on are beyond terrible in MGR
>>
>>339670021

You were halfway into the game m8

Another hour and you would have beaten it
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.