[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I heard that the GameFAQs community used to be pretty good in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: gamefaqs.png (30 KB, 800x445) Image search: [Google]
gamefaqs.png
30 KB, 800x445
I heard that the GameFAQs community used to be pretty good in its earlier days. Is it true?
>>
Generally no.

Perhaps there were some isolated individual games that only had two or three posters on it and thus weren't overrun with shit.

But the phrase "go back to gamefaqs" has existed since 1995 for a reason.
>>
>>339632819
Well, this is all new to me. I've always been aware of GameFAQs existence, but I never paid attention to it, ever. Save the 4-5 times I looked up a guide on Google (or whatever pre-Google search engines were available at the time) and looking up a guide on that site.

So, GameFAQs was *never* good? It's always been shit?
>>
As far as I can recall, yeah, it's been the bottom-tier board all the time.

But I'm a 30+ year old fossil so perhaps it's just the Alzheimer's talking.
>>
The forums themselves and the community as a whole were always shit.
It was a site where the word "suck" was banned. If you mentioned "nazis" you would be banned from the site.

The guides for older games are good. All that's good on the site is: trolling the game forums or trolling Current Events
Even boards that had "communities" were shit - Diablo 2 LoD was pretty tight, if you were part of our group. If not? We'd flame you to Hell and back and get you banned by mass reporting you and you'd be automatically suspended eventually.
>>
Nope, it was never good. Entertaining? For sure. Good? Hell no.
>>
>>339632565
It's worst than reddit when it comes to hivemindery in the past and it's worst than reddit now with its hivemindery
>>
posting on Random Insanity was fun, but the main guy i talked to literally died

so.....
>>
People contribute some really good guides sometimes, but I would never use their forums.
>>
GameFAQs never censored GamerGate discussion. Ironic considering the site's earlier days.
>>
>>339634078
This board is worse than reddit with hivemind faggotry if you think about it
>>
Gamefaqs has never been good
>>
The boards aren't that bad now, at least the social boards aren't. You can swear now.
>>
>>339632565
It was meh, but it was popular. Everyone talked about it.
>>
LUE was basicly 4chan back in 03

the secret boards were kinda lame. spork had it moments though
>>
>>339632565
Rap & Hip Hop was fucking godtier. That's pretty much all I remember.
>>
>>339634161
>the main guy i talked to literally died
You know what to do anon.
>>
>>339634161
holy fuck i forgot all about that place

christ im old
>>
>>339634460
Kind of agree there.

The past few days have been my first time on 4chan in years, and I'm not familiar with the memes, appending "faggot" to the end of my post, or all the other degenerative or shitty ways people communicate here. I've gotten shitloads of flak, ranging from being from reddit, to "talking like a normie".

It's seriously annoying. And the sad part is despite my resistance to the retardation, my thinking is starting to succumb to the hivemindedness of this place a bit. And I think its influences are much worse than any other websites I've been on, as much as I love this site, and the amazing gut punches out of nowhere.
>>
>>339634460
Not even close. If you have a dissenting opinion on Reddit, your post gets downvoted to oblivion, hidden, and your opinion is literally suppressed. If you have a dissenting opinion on 4chan, your post gets tons of replies and becomes the most visible post in the thread, so people are more likely to be exposed to your opinion.
>>
If you keep to niche games boards you're fine but if you go where there's a lot of casuals you're fucked. PS4 board for example is full of people calling each other dudebros and weeaboos and there is always japan vs east war there, it's getting annoying as fuck. Basically it's the same as /v/.
>>
>>339635236
The cuck meme has been on CE for a long time now.
>>
>>339632565
Info wise, hell yeah.

Most of the active users were the real deal, people who obsessively play video games and knew everything about their favorites. Now it's just another shithole with awful opinions.
>>
>can find game information and the answers to what I am looking to faster than I can than on 4chan nowadays

And the future refused to change...
>>
>>339632565
Yea, or at least forums that were acquired by GameFags were. I used to be very active on GameSages.com as a kid, which was acquired like 99, and just rolled into the IGN system. I kept going out of habit I guess, even up to COD4 times.
I got insta& in like 08 for making a joke saying I was 12. They told me to send in 2 forms of id and they'd consider unbanning. I told them I had an account over 12 years old, written 7 faqs and had an assload of fucking karma.
They told me to fuck off and closed the appeal. But then the fucking kicker was they kept my faqs up. I had to email about each one separately and months later they came down.
>>
>>339635078
Shut up faggot
>>
>>339635141
>If you have a dissenting opinion on Reddit, your post gets downvoted to oblivion, hidden, and your opinion is literally suppressed.

And the worst part is that someone will inevitably try to make a snarky parody of your comment elsewhere in a thread, which will get a lot of upvotes. So posting a different opinion from the hivemind not only gets suppressed, buy rewards and re-enforces idiotic upvote behavior from others.
>>
>>339635078
fuck off normie faggot
>>
>>339632565
It used to be good until it became /v/ 2.0

People actually talked about video games
>>
>>339635078
return yourself to the forum known as reddit
>>
>>339632565
>"Your opinion's not the same as mine? Then you're a troll"

Expect to be called a troll by its users for the dumbest of reasons. Surprised that nobody's ever called them out for it.
>>
GameFAQs boards is basically /v/ without images and where people aren't allowed to call each other faggots.

CE is okay for lurking from time to time.
>>
>>339632565
remember the time CJC said he wouldn't sell the site? yeah...
>>
>>339633096
>So, GameFAQs was *never* good? It's always been shit?
The boards were a place to ask specific questions about a game. Nothing more.
Gamefaqs was (and to an extent still is) foremost a place to read walkthroughs.
>>
>>339634460
I kind of agree but the problem with /v/ is it being one giant echo chamber. The same bait threads get 400+ replies repeatedly.

Actual video game discussion on less popular know titles that don't have waifus get 20 at best usually.
>>
>>339632565
If by "earlier days" you mean like 10 years ago, then yeah, some boards were good. The popular ones though, no, never.
>>
File: 3607.png (393 KB, 567x547) Image search: [Google]
3607.png
393 KB, 567x547
>>339632565
GAMEFACKS
>>
>>339632565

Gamefaqs' "community" has always mileage varied depending on the game board you were on. Generally speaking, most games that had either A) A LOT of information to pore through(and hence a lot of information to question and compile), or B) had a fairly healthy amount of untranslated material related to it that people were interested in, brought the boards together to behave well and do something cool and productive.

Everything else was always shit and that hasn't changed.
>>
CE has become /pol/ and board 261 has become a trolls den while OT has become a worse version of /a/
>>
>>339633430
>Even boards that had "communities" were shit - Diablo 2 LoD was pretty tight, if you were part of our group. If not? We'd flame you to Hell and back and get you banned by mass reporting you and you'd be automatically suspended eventually.

Perfect example right here of why that autism trap was and is considered the worst forum of all time. Every game board had retards like this in them, and they all thought themselves better than one another despite being the exact same.
>>
>>339635518
>Karma

That was the worst. Logging out and logging back in every day for e-peen points and expecting everyone else to suck your e-peen once it got long enough.

Plus the mods were even faggier than ours, which is fucking saying something.
>>
>>339632565
Imagine if 4chan had literally thousands of isolated boards and all the users were underaged, attention-starved tripfags. It had some really good stuff and some really bad stuff
>>
>>339638370
>epeen

One of my favorite game forums growing up was bungie.net. No post counter, and your recent posts only went back by 300 posts. No forum signatures either, unless you manually chose to view them.

There was still plenty of popularfaggotry, but at least username/avatar faggotry was better than one based on post count.
>>
>>339633430
>Even boards that had "communities" were shit

I met some of my best friends like that.
>>
>>339639546
>Imagine if 4chan was anything but 4chan

4chan is an entity unto itself. Nothing like it. Gamefaqs mostly mirrored the forum culture of the time. You could find that anywhere.

I do miss getting to know posters over time, but I could never go back. The underage is palatable.
>>
>>339633430
>It was a site where the word "suck" was banned. If you mentioned "nazis" you would be banned from the site.
This is a huge exaggeration. "Suck" wasn't allowed in topic titles but you could still say it in the body of a post with impunity. "Nazi" was fine as long as the post wasn't something like "hurr cjayc is a ****ing nazi"

Autoflagged terms never really meant anything. You could always talk about gays, nazis, retards, gris or whatever the fuck as long as it wasn't an obvious flame or shitpost.
>>
>>339634583

this. The boards are slightly better now. Mods are still Shit.
>>
>>339640680
But you'd still get modded if you bypassed the autoflag for legitimate terms.
>>
>>339632565
Mods are pants-on-head retarded, the communities are full of hyper-autistic JRPG nerds, and the underage and hivemind posters dominate every board.

That said, I did meet a guy who worked at a used game store and got me a copy of FF7 at a decent price after my original disks died, which was cool.
>>
Gamefaqs is way above /v/

Calling it bottom tier
At least there they try to help people
Unlike this shit hole
Where y'all troll each other all day long
>>
I first started posting on internet forums via the fire emblem boards on gamefaqs. The fire emblem internet community is terrible, and has been terrible for ten years

anyway, I still use gamefaqs because the board about the actual sport of hockey is the best hockey forum on the internet
>>
>>339641686
I'd rather be on a board that lets me atleast say the word "emulator" than moralfaqs.
>>
>>339643247
You probably wouldn't get modded for that nowadays, it's much less strict.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.