[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone else notice the utmost lack of MGS threads on /v/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 16
Did anyone else notice the utmost lack of MGS threads on /v/ since the release of TPP?

And I don't mean the obvious STANDING threads but just your regular MGS2/3 circlejerkings. Its almost as if MGSV made /v/ realize how the series wasn't that great from the get go?
>>
>>339590005
>Its almost as if MGSV made /v/ realize how the series wasn't that great from the get go?

Nah, it's just impossible to have a thread discussing the good MGS games without shitposters pretending 4, PW, and V weren't shit.
>>
>/vg/
nice detective work numbnuts
>>
well personally, mgsv soured the whole series to the point that as soon as I think about mgsv, its always TPP

havent played anything MGS since october, when by now ive done a few runthroughs of the whole series
>>
I think the series is great, but TPP made me never want to think about it again, so I don't want to discuss it anymore.
>>
Soon will be the time of the year for me when I replay MGS1, 2, 3 and 4, watch the cutscenes of PW and pretend V didn't happen.
>>
File: MetalGear.jpg (404 KB, 1586x1124) Image search: [Google]
MetalGear.jpg
404 KB, 1586x1124
>>339590005
there was a MGS thread a few days ago were a guy was complaining that MGS3 was SJW shit because The Boss kicked Snakes ass several times in MGS3

then it derailed into morons using petty insults like "pleb" "kid' "underage" "redditor" against people who disliked MGS2
>>
>>339590454
Sounds like a typical thread on /v/. War of the insufferable faggots.
>>
>>339590005
It was always great, even TPP.

TPP just wasn't AS great as we were hoping.
>>
>>339590005
Actually there have been a lot of MGS threads lately. Especially about the best titles, namely MGS1, 2 and 3.
>>
In the months leading up to MGS V's release there were an overwhelming amounts of threads. People burnt themselves out.

Not that it matters because real discussions happens here. Just a bunch of lame ass tools regurgitating the same tired meme & buzz words at each other. You're all diseased.
>>
>>339590454
>MGS3 is SJW because the Boss beats Big Boss

That's stupid, because A: you kill her later in that same game and B: she's the only woman in the entire series that canonically beats Big Boss or Snake.
>>
>>339591002
I really miss the constant conspiracy threads and infographics about TPP. I'd go so far as to say the hype for TPP was better than the game was.
>>
>>339591283
>That's stupid, because A: you kill her later in that same game and B: she's the only woman in the entire series that canonically beats Big Boss or Snake.

I know. People called OP out on that in that thread
>>
>>339591352
Ten times better and ten times more enjoyable,.

Its my own fault for taking me 40 hours to realize I was clearing, capturing and fultoning the same fucking 5-men outpost the whole fucking time.
>>
Alright, so I've never played any MGS game passed the first one. I'm going to play them all in order and so far I've beaten MG 1 & 2 on the NES, MGS1, and the first VR Missions. I've got 2 and 3 on the ps2, whatever the base versions are, 4 on the ps3 and V.

My local mom and pop had V for $20 but they also had a physical copy of Ground Zeroes. Is that just a demo or is it worth picking up for another reason?
>>
>>339590005
I started mgs2 yesterday for the first time after avoiding it for years. Turns out it's a much better game than 1 or 3 in my opinion. Can't believe I let hentai watching neckbeards on the Internet keep me from playing a great game.
>>
File: 1460577406221.jpg (43 KB, 640x565) Image search: [Google]
1460577406221.jpg
43 KB, 640x565
>>339590381
>but TPP made me never want to think about it again

I know that feel
>>
>>339591738
GZ is a prologue to TPP, get it.
>>
>>339591738
Ground Zeroes is intro for TPP, two hour long prequel basically that is NOT included in TPP.

Get the non-base version of MGS3, its called Subsistence. It has way better camera modes.
>>
File: metalgear-msx-metalgear.png (8 KB, 272x240) Image search: [Google]
metalgear-msx-metalgear.png
8 KB, 272x240
Anybody played the MSX Metal Gear games?

I just finished the first one and am playing through Metal Gear 2 now.

I plan to give the NES Metal Gear another chance too, and play Snake's Revenge as well.
>>
File: 1435337853502.jpg (161 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1435337853502.jpg
161 KB, 800x600
It's just that the moon is full...
>>
I'm loving it personally.
>>
>>339591851
>>339591879
Thanks guys. Owner has it marked at $15 but if I can talk him down 5 bucks I'll pick it up.
>>
As shit as it was, TPP did have the most intense moment in gaming this decade for me, easily. Too bad it was the only actually enjoyable moment.

>finish intro
>get to the part where I am sneaking around the desert village, about to rescue Kaz
>open iDroid, play the MGO trailer music
>suspensful as fuck, hype mode
>that tight operating

Too bad it lasted 3 minutes. As good as it was, it was still anticlimactic as fuck. Rescuing Chico was far more complex for fucks sake.
>>
>>339590005
No. I see an mgs 2 thread every other day.
>>
>>339592047
Both of those were on Steam sale -66% off a day or two ago, they might still be. Check it out if you have a pc.
>>
>>339591940
Played MG1 years ago, didn't like it. I used a walkthrough cause I didn't know where to go half the time with all the backtracking.
Never gave 2 a chance but it's supposedly much better.
>>
File: 1446734986895.jpg (58 KB, 560x571) Image search: [Google]
1446734986895.jpg
58 KB, 560x571
Chapter 3 is coming any day now lads.
>>
MGS1 has a pretty good story but absolutely awful gameplay, MGS2 has excellent story and good gameplay, MGS3 has amazing story and amazing gameplay, MGS4 has a cucked nanomachine fest and similar gameplay to 3, and MGSV has a cucked vocal chord parasite fest with the best gameplay in the series.
>>
>>339591586
You're mentally retarded on all accounts. Congratulations. Probably get some kind of government hand out for that.
>>
File: kojimasweden.jpg (168 KB, 1024x767) Image search: [Google]
kojimasweden.jpg
168 KB, 1024x767
MGS threads are mostly sustained by perpetual trailer hype, but now there are no more of those.
>>
>>339592240
This. V is great because of how much of a game it is. There's still a story, but what's there is just to keep the gameplay rolling and provide some explanation for what you're doing in the end game.

I can totally see why people didn't like the story that was there, but the game is trying to be something else so it's silly to write off the entire game just because it didn't do something it wasn't even trying to do in the first place
>>
>>339592437
Can you say with a straight face that V wasn't a needlessly long, needlessly repetitive shitfest?
>>
File: BwH0BwtCcAAx3Qb.jpg large.jpg (88 KB, 852x1136) Image search: [Google]
BwH0BwtCcAAx3Qb.jpg large.jpg
88 KB, 852x1136
At least MGSV gave us the best thing to come out of the metal gear series tbqh
>>
>>339592240

>cucked cucked cucked

What the fuck? That's not even the right context for that word. God damn I hate you fucking redditors/summer children that try to fit in.

Your opinions are garbage, by the way
>>
>>339592506
how is it needlessly long? And given the multitude of ways to play through it and the variation of scenery on the maps, I fail to see how it's repetitive
>>
File: tumblr_ntjzq23uUL1saxnfeo1_1280.jpg (340 KB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntjzq23uUL1saxnfeo1_1280.jpg
340 KB, 1280x1920
>>339591786

Glad you like it. Play the vr missions in Substance if you wany a hefty challenge.
>>
>>339592537
>le summer meme

whatever faggot you know i'm right
>>
>>339592668
>? And given the multitude of ways to play through it

Multitude of ways to do what? Infiltrate the same tiny outpost from the different 360 degrees of open desert?

>how is it needlessly long?
You are replaying every fucking mission in chapter 2 ffs.
>>
>>339592739
When do you leave for summer camp?
>>
>>339592240
>>339592437
V has the most gameplay, but certainly not the best. It's severely lacking in level design, the movement is clunky, and it's bloated with useless and repetitive features.
>>
>>339592739
It wouldn't be so obvious if you wouldn't spell like a child.
>>
>>339592821
>Infiltrate the same tiny outpost from the different 360 degrees of open desert?
There are about 10 large outposts on each map which is otherwise peppered with a bunch of smaller checkpoints throughout. And yeah, you're given a huge loadout to experiment with. Thanks to how differently the weapons play, yet how useful they all are, it stays fresh. Then there's the missions themselves which give you specific objectives and up the soldier count. Then there's FOBs and the PF metagame on top of that...

Also you don't have to replay the missions in chapter 2, but they change up the gameplay interestingly enough

>>339593029
They traded linear hallways for freedom of movement, the design seem fine to me. And no, the movement is the smoothest by far of the entire series are you on crack?
>>
>>339592240
>cuck spammer
>MGS3fag

yep
>>
Best games in the series

MGS1, MGS2, Ground Zeroes, Ghost Babel
>>
>>339593236

Good taste.
>>
>>339593236
>le Ground Zeroes is better than TPP meme

lol, so good
>>
>>339590005
>Its almost as if MGSV made /v/ realize how the series wasn't that great from the get go?
Nah, MGS5 was just a fucking huge lackluster, and now the series is over.
>>
>>339593038
>spell

I didn't spell anything wrong in that post my man, care to explain what you're talking about?
>>
>>339593375
it was great though
>>
>>339593236
Wrong, fuggboi.

MGS3, PW, MGS1.
>>
>>339592206

Honestly I'm finding MG2 even worse when it comes to backtracking and knowing where to go, you probably won't like it.
It's better than the first in the sense that a lot of refinements were made (you can crawl, soldiers move around the map more and don't stay on the same screen, etc).

I only had to use a guide once on the first game (when you have to call Jennifer in a very specific room so that she'll give you the rocketlauncher, also the compass in another room, that was cryptic as hell).
But yeah it still had a lot of other cryptic stuff and places where you need to punch walls to find secret passages, I didn't use a guide other than that one time, but it took me about 10 hours to complete, when it's actually a very short game that could be completed probably in 3 or 4.
>>
>>339593372
Its already better by not having Mother Base/Fulton bullshit.

Why Kojima actually thought that glorified mobile game bullshit was interesting I will never understand.
>>
>>339593516
I liked the fultoning thing.

The mother base thing was a bit shit though.
>>
MGS3>MGS1>MGS2>MGSV>MGSPW>MGS4
Thoughts?
>>
>>339593440

only one of those is an actual MGS game
>>
>>339593683
you mean, in your mind?
>>
>>339593676
basic bitch/10

why did you even post this
>>
>>339593510
You can crawl in MGS1 too, you should consider playing it at some point.

Also MGS2 is far less "believable" as a game, despite it being my favorite.

>get spotted (inb4 git gud pleb, controls are overly sensitive and shitty, its easy to do the wrong thing by accident as in go in the wrong direction)
>alert
>10 dudes show up
>run to the literally first door that is transitioning to another area
>jump off the ledge and die
>respawn at the door
>no alert anymore

Its retarded.
>>
>>339593683
>it's the "only my limited view of what counts as MGS game is valid!" episode
ugh
>>
The truth about Kojima is that despite being a great director and idea guy he's a fucking garbage writer.

People say MGSV had a shit story, but so did both 4 and PW. It's all neatly produced, it has a bunch of cool moments. Like going back to Shadow Moses, but as a whole MGS is high brow nonsense and has always has been.
>>
>>339593786
After MGS2 Kojima was pretty much making fanficiton of his own games, lets not pretend otherise
>>
>>339593774

I'm talking about the MSX games, not the Solid games.

I have played MGS1 and the rest as well.
>>
>>339593908
The story was fine. Who cares how well written a game is as long as it's entertaining? V went for the 80s action show route and in that sense the story fits perfectly.
>>
>>339594026
WHAT STORY?

You mean those 3 random cutscenes on the motherbase?
Yeah epic story brah.
>>
>>339594056
This.

TPP = VR missions that are actually textured
>>
>>339594056
listen to the tapes, brah.

There's lots of story in the game, it's just told outside of one off cutscenes
>>
>>339594131
>TPP = VR missions that are actually textured
and even worse in quality than MGS1/2 missions
>>
>>339594131
this is a problem because...?
>>
>>339593930
MGS2 was literally a "I just don't care anymore. Here's a vague ending with no closure; pls lemme go make other shit now!" kind of product, and it shows.

With MGS3 and up, he was clearly having FUN again. And good thing too, as it shows, and he also fixed tons of MGS2's gameplay issues.
>>
>>339594310
The only thing it fixed was nerfing the tranq, the rest was pretty much babbys first gameplay mod tier, and the story was watered down garbage
>>
>>339594412
>and the story was watered down garbage
Nothing watered down about making more cohesive stories, with proper drama's arc design.

MGS2 is still the shitstain of the series.
>>
>>339594412
The story was great though. Something doesn't have to be cerebral to be considered good, and even so MGS2 had its fair share of stupid bullshit in the story as well.

But shit, it's a series about cloned super soldiers, who honestly cares?
>>
>>339594502
>with proper drama's arc design.

>Hey Jon-kun remember how we trained together?
>Well now i betray you lol
>wait Mr Ligting dont kill him
>i wasnt bad all along, way to fall right?? xD

nah, and dont even talk to me about cohesive stories when most of MGS3 is spent fighting literal Pokemon bosses that can be cut from the game with nothing substantial actually changing
>>
I prefer TTS to MGS. Best game is MGS2. Fite me.
>>
>>339594142
>Boss, the test results are in. Eli is-
>BOSS GET DOWN! The enemy sniper...
>>
>>339593158
>They traded linear hallways for freedom of movement, the design seem fine to me

V's idea of "freedom of movement" is huge empty fields. Look at Thief I and II if you want to see freedom of movement done right. At least the previous MGS games did hallways well.

>And no, the movement is the smoothest by far of the entire series are you on crack?

It's not. It's the best animated, but it's actually over-animated to the point where the mechanics suffer. In the previous games you could turn on a dime, but in V you have a wide, awkward turn which I imagine is part of why there are so few indoor environments.
>>
>>339594630
My argument is that MGS2 actually tried to be interesting while MGS3 was as by-the-numbers as humanly possible.
>>
>>339594876
stop being so obvious then lol.

You know you can rewind the tapes right?
>>
DUDE WORMWOOD LMAO
>>
>>339590005

It released in fucking September of last year and we're in June now. what do you think would happen?
>>
>>339594912
There are fields yes, but then each base is full of areas to crawl and sneak around also
>>
I enjoy all mainline MGS games bar GZ and TPP.
>>
>>339594952
what does that even mean?
>>
>>339594978
Yeah I know that I can and I did, but it's still a pain in the ass to listen to them while doing anything because Miller will interfere.
>>
>>339593908
He's not a great director either. The only thing he can direct well are trailers. The jeep scene in V might be the worst example of directing there is.
>>
>>339595132
It might help if you actually read
>>
>>339595152
The jeep scene was still cool because there was a bunch of shit going on around the jeep that shows how XOF took over OKB zero. Lots of neat little things to look around for
>>
>>339595132

It means what it says? I don't understand your confusion.
>>
>>339590005
It's still like 2 or 3 up usually at any time of the day. It's not every other thread like it used to be though.
>>
>>339595058
And that's where it's level design suffers. The bases are thrown together haphazardly, with no coherent challenge. The only exceptions being the levels that actively work against the game's overall design by being very linear. Groznyj Grad is better than every TPP base put together and offers more variety too. Camp Omega was the only truly good level of V.
>>
MGS2>MGS1>MGS3>MGSV>MGS4

If your opinion about MGS2 can be summed up in "Raiden is gay the story makes no sense", you aren't allowed to talk about Metal Gear Solid.
>>
>>339595575
>with no coherent challenge

what do you mean exactly? That there isn't a path with a goal line at the end to reach?
>>
>>339590005
Revengeance 2 when?
With cyborg Boss made of the 40 AI boards from PW and running around the MG 1/2 areas in search of them
>>
Mgsv cut me pretty deep and it's hard to talk about.
>>
File: 1.jpg (20 KB, 365x274) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
20 KB, 365x274
>>339592240
>MGS2[...]good gameplay
>>
I get that the mechanics were really the only thing V had going for it, but anyone who says it's worse than 4 is fucking delusional and just wants to be the edgy "I hate the new shit" guy. V had a more comprehensible story that didn't stop you from playing every 5 minutes to dump some more story (half of it being shit you already knew about from other games). Yes the ending came out of nowhere with no context but I didn't really hate it, and despite being an unfinished game it left me feeling much more satisfied than 4 did. 4 is a fun game the first time you play it but it's even easier than V on all subsequent playthroughs. It also only contains 5 hours of gameplay, only two of which are actually fun. At least most people can get 20 out of V before becoming bored with it.
>>
>>339595717
Please no, The Boss was great in MGS3, but she should never appear again. Everything after MGS3 sounds like fanfiction wank. Hell, even in MGS3 when other talk about her it sounds like fanfiction wankery.
>invented special forces
>killed Hitler
>first human in space
>everyone respects and loves her
>>
>>339595593
This people who complain about Raiden do not know what he really represents and make kojima's point right.
>>
>>339590381
>>339591808
I know that feel, too.
>>
>>339595974
I did that specifically because of it.
>the only time she failed her mission was when she was heavily pregnant with Ocelot
>a processor with her CV becomes her and spontaneously sings

MGR has a heavy dose of cheesy enough to make it work.
>>
>>339595990

I haven't played MGS2 in a long time, but what did he represent?
>>
Typically do you skip codec conversations when you replay mgs1-3?
>>
>>339596302
Depends on how long ago I played them the last time.
>>
>>339596257
You.

Same as Venom, only mostly well done and not shoved in at the last minute.
>>
>>339595681
That there were no clear obstacles that needed to be overcome. Every mission that was just

>go into base
>get something
>leave

was mindless monotony. At their most basic level, the previous Metal Gear games were puzzle games. Maneuvering through enemy patrols that were carefully designed with solutions. V tries to base all of it's solutions on emergent gameplay, with the exception of the few linear levels like OKB-0. But it fails because the simplest solution is to just approach the base from the angle closest to your objective, grab it, and leave. Look at Deus Ex, or even Ground Zeroes for examples of games that have a high ceiling for emergent gameplay while still maintaining coherent level design.
>>
>>339594310
>>339592240
Dogshit. MGS3 has the weakest gameplay in the entire series. It's also the first game in the series to drop the cheesy 90s action movie style and adopt an anime style. It's like watching any bad anime in the last 16 years. It's also the only game in the main series to be a graphical downgrade due to its transition from easy to render hallways to poorly rendered PS2 jungles. Not to mention pausing for camo, pausing to fix broken bones, pausing to eat food, pausing to put on a disguise, pausing to apply face paint, pausing to remove leeches, pausing to breathe in and out, it gets fucking annoying.

The part where Revolver is being swarmed by bees and he avoids being stung by spinning his two guns on his index fingers in front of him to slap down the bees while back stepping is especially heinous writing.
>>
>>339597123
The obstacle was doing it without being spotted...
>>
>>339597710
That's what I mean.
>>
>>339597710
Not in V. Getting spotted doesn't matter.
>>
>>339597904
That's still there in V
>>
>>339597591
>what is magical realism

anyway
>drop the cheesy 90s action movie style and adopt an anime style

>escape from new york
>90s
>heavy 60s-70s james bond influence
>anime
>>
>>339597978
Sure it does. It affects your mission score and it puts enemies on high alert.
>>
>>339597978
You could run and gun in every single mgs game. In mgsv it makes sense that you can just play it as a shooter, considering that you play as a group of mercenaries instead of a special agent.
That game had a lot of problems (mostly with useless fluff. The base mechanics worked in pw but made no sense whatsoever here. It had no business being an open world game. Farming is fucking boring.) but that's one of the few things it got right.
>>
>>339598314
Who cares? The enemies are about as ineffective as star wars storm troopers. You still get an S rank.
>>
>>339597591
>The part where Revolver is being swarmed by bees and he avoids being stung by spinning his two guns on his index fingers in front of him to slap down the bees while back stepping is especially heinous writing.

Heinous writing by what standard? A realistic standard? Sure. But this was the same scene that had a crazy 18 year old trippleagent colonel meowing before getting attacked by a swarm of bees controlled by a crazy guy who can summon tommyguns out of thin air.

It's like being angry that a fairy tale doesn't conform to realistic standards. If you think it's silly nonsense, sure, but you can't attack it as being plain bad writing.
>>
File: 1409227012777.jpg (991 KB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
1409227012777.jpg
991 KB, 3456x2304
I still haven't recovered. TPP was okay but my expectations were just too high.
>>
>>339598435
>You could run and gun in every single mgs game

Yeah but the good ones rewarded you for being stealthy. It's also not run and gun, it's run and run. I have no problem with the game going in a more action-oriented direction, but it fails at that too.
>>
>>339598589
MGS2 was well written silly nonsense. MGS3 was poorly written silly nonsense. Being silly nonsense is not an excuse for poor writing.
>>
>>339598862
>MGS3 was poorly written silly nonsense.

You still haven't explained why.
>>
>>339598776
you get a big bonus for going stealthy and no traces in V too.
>>
>>339598936
Which you don't need for an S rank.
>>
>>339599089
It can certainly help.
>>
>>339598862
>Well written silly nonsense

Kek. Fucking MGS2 memers every time. The story is fucking garbage.
>>
Or that enough time had passed that any thing any person could talk about, about them, had already been said?
>>
>>339599350
...which just happens to coincide with the release of the final failed abortion of the series entry?

Funny because for the last 6 years there were always at least 3 mgs threads at any given time.
>>
>>339599248
You not understanding it doesn't mean its garbage, autist. Stick to your generic James Bond stories.
>>
>>339599480
>y-you just don't get it!

every time
>>
why come big boss and ocelot never find out they are brothers? isnt it obvious when they refer to boss as mother
>>
>>339599439
Well, if you're talking to me, specifically. I haven't played anything beyond MGS4. So, if you want to know why I haven't been making threads or replying, it's because there hasn't been anything for me to say, for a while.

I just assumed other people also went this way. I wanted to play MGSV, obviously, but I don't have PS4-money. So, you've suffered a few months where I haven't had anything to say. Sorry.
>>
>>339599220
Not really. But even going stealthy, the best way is still just running in near the objective because npc routes and AI just weren't designed well. There were a couple of good stealth objectives, like listening to every conversation on the hard version of that one airport mission. But 90% of the game is just trash.
>>
>>339598589
One is suspension of disbelief, the soldiers, the other is simply not caring about what you're writing down on a piece of paper and submitting. There's no suspension of disbelief for simple violations of reality with absolutely zero impact on character development or story. There's simply no value to it, and it's also a depressingly tired anime trope of being super stylish with your weapon, which is tolerable only up until a certain point.

I'm not saying it's even that bad, but it illustrates the rest of the story's characters, tired anime tropes with tired anime campness. The only thing missing is two guys going super sayain back and forth, trying to outdo each other's power levels, and teleporting behind each other.
>>
File: 1460248351173.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
1460248351173.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>339599480
>You just don't understand it retard!

The typical response from weenie faggots who think MGS2 is good. I expected nothing less.
>>
>>339599594
That's your argument? Keep shitposting fag
>>
>>339599248
watch any stream of someone playing 2 and 3

>2
>CONSTANTLY talking, giving out info every fucking second
>references to other games, literature and american history
>ties in to the next game (mgs4)

>3
>dead silence most of the time
>bUrself
>zooming in to eva's tits
>"this part is ridiculous lol"
>>
>>339599480
>2deep4u
>>
>>339599856
>Watching streams
>Ever
>>
>>339599681
sure except most missions prevent you from dropping near the objective
>>
>>339600092
>not watching streams
>ever

see? I can do it too!
>>
File: TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg (77 KB, 534x800) Image search: [Google]
TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg
77 KB, 534x800
Is MGS2 the Great Gatsby of video games?
>>
>>339599856
The uknighted, or outerheaven channel is the biggest example of this
>>
>>339590005
are you fucking stupid OP?

Just 5 hours ago there were 3 simultaneously active MGS related threads.

Are Konami shills working full time now? How much do you earn from shilling OP?
>>
Damn I miss MGS1's style of plot twist.

1) Focused on the scenario. The scenario is closely tied to what the player is expected to do next and what they are trying to accomplish.

2) The twists make the narrative make MORE sense, not less, because they correct discrepancies noticed but dismissed by the player. The point of twists is to make the audience feel fooled, not expand and complicate the fiction by introducing an elite shadow organization with vague goals and methods.

MGS2 plays out like the worst kind of detective novel. The last chapter introduces information the reader had no way of knowing and pulls an answer out of its ass. Then it acts smug, like it got you. No shit. It's exactly as bad as the "...but it was all the dream of a child in a coma the whole time!" ending.
>>
>>339599839
and your argument literally is "it's 2deep4u u dont understan boi".
what's the difference?
>>
>>339600478
the difference is that you're objectively wrong
>>
>>339600436
>1) Focused on the scenario. The scenario is closely tied to what the player is expected to do next and what they are trying to accomplish.
this.

your actions in game made the story move, and the story itself affected the gameplay, what you do next and even how you do it.

in my opinion that's the main problem with MGSV, the story and the gameplay are disconnected as fuck, they're just both standalone things that exist in the game. Story moments pop up out of fucking nowhere with no build up or sense or consequence, and the gameplay just moved on in the same missions and method no matter what happened before.
>>
>>339600668
well that's a level of self-centred fuckery I can't argue with, enjoy your opinion :^)
>>
>>339600763
but it's not an opinion :O

it's fact xD
>>
MGS5 is fine without the story. It's bad for other reasons. Yes, it's fun at some parts, but you have to wade through a lot of shit to get there. The core gameplay is the best in the series, and there's a lot more to do in 5 than any of the others, rather than stumbling from setpiece to setpiece. Is it repetitive? Yes. It's still a lot of fun though.

MGS4 has great gameplay, even though there was only so much. >MUH MOVIE Yes, cutscenes were long and excessive. Pick a new argument if you're going to completely dismiss the game.

Peace Walker was okay but it introduced fulton balloons and mother base management, the worst part of MGS5, so people need to stop praising it so much.

MGS3 has the best boss fights.

Fuck you /v/
>>
>>339600478
>"it's 2deep4u u dont understan boi"
It's not even difficult to understand. All this was supposed to be a simulation. Raiden represents the player. At the end he throws a dog-tag with your name on it away, showing that he became a real person with own goals and motivations. The end. Still a better story than 95% of all video games, including MGS3 and its simplistic Bond adventure and muh feels ending.
>>
>>339601025
I really liked motherbase management in PW. It was probably my favourite part of the game aside from co-ops, because hunting ZEKE parts with other people was fun also, versus ops is more fun than MGO3
>>
>>339600436
>The twists make the narrative make MORE sense, not less
But that's what's happening in MGS2. The reveal of the simulation explains why it's so similar to the events in MGS1.
>>
>>339601315
true.
>>339601083
I'm the anon you're replying to, and I agree with you. It just annoys me the retards that praise MGS2 because it's "deep" when it's not.
>>
>/mgg/ is still active

are they even talking about MGS games or it's just circle jerking the same memes?
>>
>>339600142
the drop zones are all about 30 seconds away from the mission area but it's not like you have to play it. You drop far away but there are almost never any soldiers out there so you just run to the actual mission area. Yet another of MGSV's problems.
>>
>>339601837
what problem? That there's some open space without any guards?
>>
>>339590136
4 and PW were at least the black sheep of the series. V is a fucking nigger with cotton glued to his back.
>>
Metal gear solid got worst with every new entry

MGS1 is fucking perfect. Working controls, you never feel like an idiot, story is complex and make some points without going full retard and the bosses vary from challenging to quirky. Psycho Mantis is a 10/10 moment.

MGS2 is 1 but with some changes. I don't hate Raiden but I don't love him either. The gameplay is pretty much the same but the eviroment now it's only a base, no changing stuff around unlike MGS. Bosses are good, story is retarded.

MGS3 has cool bosses but retarded everything else. Menu, camera, and the game now isn't about infiltrating, instead you are SURVIVING IN THE JUNGLE!!! with an autist as MC

MGS4 is pandering general. Gameplay is better than 3 at least.

MGS5 shits on the previous ones. Gameplay is fucked cuz muh open world.

I can only wonder how will MGS6 dissapoint us.
>>
>>339603123

I have no idea how somebody can be so wrong, but you managed it.
>>
>>339603123
MGS2 polished the already good gameplay of MGS1.
>>
>>339590005
anyone who handnt already realized that the mgs story was overrated and still participating in mgs2 circlejerks was setting themselves up for huge disappointment for MGSV's story. they all probably killed themselves
>>
>>339603123
>Gameplay is fucked cuz muh open
dude, it the story that is fucked cuz ''muh open world''
you got it twisted...
>>
>>339601083
>First accuse everyone who doesn't like it of not understanding it
>Then saying that it isn't hard to understand at all and that everyone should understand it.

Why do MGS2fags always contradict themselves like they're pretentious morons... oh wait.
>>
This weekend I will be bringing a friend through the MGS Series.
He has never played any game so I was thinking about doing them in release order. But is there anything to be said for chronological order?
>>
>>339603123
The hate for MGS3 is ridiculous

>the game now isn't about infiltrating, instead you are surviving in the jungle

Yeah, except for the parts where you infiltrate Graniny Gorki and Groznyj Grad. You know, major parts of the game.
>>
>>339603728
It's simple. I'm not the same anon.
>>
>>339603758
Chronological order will make it a lot easier to follow the story but you'll miss the twists. You can decide what's more important.
>>
>>339603990
You see, realistically we won't finish them all.
I'm thinking that with release order we'll finish MGS1, MGS2 and get a start on MGS3.
Is this the ideal starting experience?
>>
>>339603332
Yes, but the level design and overall package are worst. We exchanged the wolf forest, camo suit in the elevator and the rappel with the hind for a horribad sniper section, bomb defusing, a talking parrot an incest. Bosses are also worst, but that's my opinion I guess

>>339603459
You are right, it also fucked the story. It fucked everything.

>>339603894
I have memorable moments of every single MGS. I may shit on them but they are worth a playthrought except fucking peace walker

What I think about when I read MGS3 is a guy in the jungle avoiding guards in flying saucers. Those mayor parts of infiltration may account to 1/3 of the game being fucking generous, most of the time you are hunting crocodiles. I don't hate it but it's not what I want in a fucking metal gear game. The menu stuff is also enough to knock the game down a peg at least. And honestly I might be too harsh with it but it's like a reaction againt the fucking fanbase and big boss getting shoved everywhere. best MGS game my ass.
>>
>>339604280
Always play in release order first, only in any order if you have already beaten the game.
>>
>>339604485
Fair enough
>>
>>339590005
MGS2 will always be one of my all time favorites.
>>
>>339604440
>bomb defusing
Fuck you, that's the part with the most sneaking and least cutscenes and codec interrupting you.
>>
>>339590381

This, same thing has happened to me multiple times.

>tfw was a massive RE fan, then RE5 came out and destroyed all love I have for the series.

I have literally not touched the games since 2008, though by this point time has healed wounds and I am thinking of replaying the PC port of REmake.

But the same thing happened with MGS around the same time, massive fan, then I played MGS4 and it killed it for me. I never touched PW or Rising as a result of 4 being so shit. But luckily, I never played TPP either. After almost 10 years the wounds were starting to heal with MGS and I was thinking maybe I should get TPP, but I knew to wait till after release no matter how good the trailers looked. Glad I did so I didn't have to experience that disappointment a second time.
>>
>>339606587
your loss, TPP is great
>>
>play MGS on PS2
>can't play Disc 2 because Slim bullshit
>Anon tells me to do the sensor mod
>ok, I just did
>still can't play Disc 2
wew lad
>>
>>339607857
Works fine on my slim PS2. Get one that isn't broken.
>>
>>339609057
I don't get it though, am I supposed to change the discs while I'm still playing or when it asks me to? because if I open the tray and change the disc when it asks me to the ''press button to continue'' won't show up because the console doesn't know if I opened the tray or not to change the discs
>>
MGSV soured the entire franchise for me.

Knowing that Konami will be milking the franchise's teat after what they did to Kojima makes me not want to perpetuate the meme that is the MGS series.

If I don't talk about it, if I don't make a big deal out of it, then hopefully Konami's next venture will fail miserably and MGS series can rest in peace.

A loved one has died.
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 262x263) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 262x263
>>339592523
Wew lad have a (You) for most retarded post in this thread
>>
File: 50161056.png (601 KB, 1521x620) Image search: [Google]
50161056.png
601 KB, 1521x620
>WHY ARE THERE NO MGS THREADS!
>6 daily MGS threads
There isn't a single day here in /v/ where I have to hide daily MGS threads.
>>
>>339610589
To be honest, there has only been an upswing in the last few days. Either shills, marketers, or people excited about the new MGSV patch.

But other than that, the OP is right. MGS threads have been rarer since MGSV soured the batch.

Perhaps Konami is gonna announce MGS1 Remake soon with Hayter and needs some interest drummed up?
Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.